Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,887 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 (56675 Views)

Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 / Hierarchy Of Yoruba Obas As Of 1920 / Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 11:22pm On Feb 11, 2016
Rayhut:

So Obatala and Orunmila fall down from haeven and give birth to Lamurudu that later gave birth to Oduduwa, haba!!!! Yoruba, Oduduwa remain a Bini prince that conquered the Yorubas.

Whatever. Satisfy your fantasy. Omo Nna help the Binis to look for their son that wandered away, at least you are a descendant of Cain now!!!

cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 11:23pm On Feb 11, 2016
martineinstein:
the picture is invalid..oba of Benin doesn't leave his palace.. Stop killing yourself for our matter. We are not the yorubbish

Another lie.

Do you want to see a picture of Oba Akenzua visiting the Ooni of Ife?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by odogwu125: 11:25pm On Feb 11, 2016
I am amazed some ppl are bringing IPOB into their madness

3 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by jobgbemi(m): 11:26pm On Feb 11, 2016
912:

God bless you! How are we even sure that it is oba akenzua in that photo?
gozzlin:

Idi0t, you can't even spell argument. Always quick to vent your anger on the Biafrans. Na them cause all your frustrations and backwardness?
Radpajay:
sad shocked
emmabowin:
I don't even understand why on earth the yorubas are wanting to attach themselves by force to the bini as well as wrongfully claim a throne that doesn't belong to them. This is stupidity at its highest... Who would want to have anything to do with the dirty fellows that call themselves yoruba leaving in Southwest.....
madetayo:

Liar,go check your history well to confirm you weren't adopted. Served in Auchi and frequently visited Benin,was surprised to see the massive number of people speaking the Yoruba language, not fluently but you need no soothsayer to tell you it was Yoruba language. Furthermore, have you heard of the Reformed Ogboni Fraternity (R.O.F), a Yoruba dominated fraternity, you can hardly go by 3-4 houses in Benin without seeing any of their members or signs. I know all these cos I've got Benin friends with Yoruba names & average knowledge of the language,been there as well. For the record again,3 out of 10 Benin indigenes speaks the Yoruba language
emmabowin:
I don't even understand why on earth the yorubas are wanting to attach themselves by force to the bini as well as wrongfully claim a throne that doesn't belong to them. This is stupidity at its highest... Who would want to have anything to do with the dirty fellows that call themselves yoruba leaving in Southwest.....

I still cant believe these hypocrites never shut their mouth cos they are taking a piss. Oduduwa is now the son of Oba of Benin abi? Chai...Oduduwa had a father who was never from Benin, his name was LAMURUDU and he was from Mecca. Oduduwa gave birth to 7 sons of which the Oba of Benin was one of them. Oranmiyan who was the Ooni at a time, being a warrior was invited to come and become the king in Benin. He came and married the late king's wife who happened to be his brother if u re following me. Note that, Oranmiyan was d last born of Oduduwa. We also had oni popo of popo, oni sabe of Sabee, olowu of Owu, oba of Benin, et al. So, the Queen gave birth to a dumb prince and could not give birth to anoda child. This forced Oranmiyan to take another wife who became pregnant. The chiefs started to plot evil against Oranmiyan (Benin chiefs) because he stopped them from collecting collaterals, through the older Queen. Oranmiyan became angry and packed his things and left Ibini (Benin). He ordered that the older queen stay and also cursed that Benin will never see peace umtil his son, the deaf n dumb is made the king(Oba of Benin). He left with the second wife who was heavy at the time. They got to a place that the queen could no longer continue the journey. He looked for an occult member and pleaded that he helped her queen deliver. That was how the Queen stayed there and gave birth, that place today is Ado, and the child then became the Ewi of Ado. The oracle consulted by Oranmiyan told him not to go straight bk to Ife but to stay where ever his horse slips. They got to a place where the leg of the horse slipped and Oranmiyan stopped there. That was Oyo empire, because the land slipped. This was where Oranmiyan noticed people living across the river, he went there and became friend witj the town who respects him fr being a warrior. This people are called the TAPAs, from Nupe, which is part of the yorubas that dominates Kogi today. The Tapa king gave Oranmiyan his daughter as wife. The lady was d one that gave birth to Sanngo and Ajako oko. Sanngo became the Alaafin of Oyo. When Oranmiyan was old, he went bk to Ife to take d throne of his father Oduduwa. Therefore, Ooni is ranked first becos Oduduwa was the first Ooni. You can visit the Ooni's palace for tourism, museum is thete too, you will see history for yourself, not coming here to make noise just because they fabricated one undocumented history for U. Ask your papa if Oranmiyan had never ruled in Benin. When Oranmiyan got to Ife, few days after his welcome, he went to the back of the palace in the bush where he died, entered the ground and left his staff, and today the staff is still thereif you have been to Ife. Alaafin was also ranked second because Oranmiyan founded Oyo town himself. In short, the people of Ibini did not experience peace until the day they crowned the dumb prince, who on the coronation day started speaking and could also hear. Simply, Oba of Benin now is the son of Oranmiyan too. But Oranmiyan ruled Oyo for years before going bk to Ife where he died, that was why Oyo gained the seniority. Also, if it interests you, the word Oba is a yoruba word and all kings in yoruba land are Obas no mata how small the throne is. So, Oba means to dominate. Also, during the coronation of the late Ooni, Queen Elizabeth of England was present visibly and also sent representatives from England during the coronation of the new Ooni, Adeyeye Ogunwusi. More history are there for justification and I wonder when people say yoruba has no history. Im nt even up to 25 and I know this. Jyst wait for Alake, I trust him to reply in due time. The Benis can never be seperated frm Yorubas and they know it too. The picture up there is a proof at least. Dont be dumb, wake up to reality. Yoruba is a well respected tribe in the world. Lets just embrace peace and live in one Nigeria.
Long live Nigeria
Long live the Yorubas
Long live the Binis
Long live the custodian of Oduduwa

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by jobgbemi(m): 11:28pm On Feb 11, 2016
Points to note: Oduduwa was the first king in Ife. While his son was the Oba of Benin then......You can visit the Ooni palace if it interests you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Kingbusssy(m): 11:33pm On Feb 11, 2016
[quote author=APCcrimes post=42840361]LOLzzzzzz

I never knew yorubas like binis like this o..

hehehehe..See wailers at the top trying to grab binis to their side...

FYI, my mum is Benin and she does not in any way look like Yoruba...Even in Benin, the Yorubas are like aliens.. The igbos are seen more like family than the yorubas... My cousins, uncles, aunt from my mum's side don't have any atom or trace of yorubish...

The Binis are Binis. Yorubas should mind their lane![/

What are you saying sef!!! Can't see the picture. before you were born sef. We all knew that ife is father of all yorubas.. You can say your own not others

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by martineinstein(m): 11:33pm On Feb 11, 2016
Super1Star:

Another lie.

Do you want to see a picture of Oba Akenzua visiting the Ooni of Ife?
haven't you heard,"oba no Dey go transfer"?
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by DICK4UCKPUSSY: 11:34pm On Feb 11, 2016
Igbos all over the threadgrin

Can't believe people with no history can have guts to argue with yorubas with rich history.

Call an Abia and anambra men together and ask who is the father of all igbos they will end beating themselvestonguetonguetonguetongue

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by AreaFada2: 11:37pm On Feb 11, 2016
brownlord:

Nonsense

Pure nonsense my brother.

This same behaviour made this very Oba Akenzua spearhead creation of Mid-Western region.

He had enough of people trying to use numerical advantage to oppress. Just barely 50 years after end of Benin Empire, whose historical reach, East & West all knew.

Oba Akenzua went to King's College Lagos, spoke impeccable Yoruba. He generally took Yorubas as cousins.

Until his fondness and amity was taken for granted.
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 11:44pm On Feb 11, 2016
martineinstein:
haven't you heard,"oba no Dey go transfer"?

I talk say nah lie!!!!!!!

I repeat, do you want to see the picture of Oba Akenzua visiting the Ooni Adesoji Oluremi? Did he disappeared to reach there?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oloyede252(m): 11:47pm On Feb 11, 2016
AreaFada2:

Pure nonsense my brother.

This same behaviour made this very Oba Akenzua spearhead creation of Mid-Western region.

He had enough of people trying to use numerical advantage to oppress. Just barely 50 years after end of Benin Empire, whose historical reach, East & West all knew.

Oba Akenzua went to King's College Lagos, spoke impeccable Yoruba. He generally took Yorubas as cousins.

Until his fondness and amity was taken for granted.
they way you people lie cannot be taken for granted

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by lagdmark(m): 11:59pm On Feb 11, 2016
AKYEMITE:
It is a shame that benin people can deny their relationship with yoruba. I am very sure their ancestor will not be happy with this. It is undisputable fact that they have their root in yoruba land. And ooni is father of all
Bini kingdom is mighty, bros go take kwara if you like live bini alone.
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by tonychristopher: 12:02am On Feb 12, 2016
ObidikeObinna:

This is intense obsession

There is no day this man posts without mentioning Yorubas

Are you sure they are not your nemesis?

undecided undecided

Did you see the dialogue ...the guy claimed that Benin are Yoruba the Benin man said he'll no he is not a yoruba

Instead of convincing him..he came around to call IPOB and Biafra

That's the funniest thing

If the Benin claim they ain't Yoruba that should be respected ....why call igbo into that again

Maybe he has an igbo masquerade chasing him in his dream

We have to respect people wishes that's all andface argument squarely

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by tonychristopher: 12:04am On Feb 12, 2016
DICK4UCKPUSSY:
Igbos all over the threadgrin

Can't believe people with no history can have guts to argue with yorubas with rich history.

Call an Abia and anambra men together and ask who is the father of all igbos they will end beating themselvestonguetonguetonguetongue

Sir igbo are here to learn ..is it wrong to have igbo reading this

I think you should face the subject matter and leave igbo out of this

Igbo must be enigmatic
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 12:07am On Feb 12, 2016
tonychristopher:

Did you see the dialogue ...the guy claimed that Benin are Yoruba the Benin man said he'll no he is not a yoruba

Instead of convincing him..he came around to call IPOB and Biafra

That's the funniest thing

If the Benin claim they ain't Yoruba that should be respected ....why call igbo into that again
N

Maybe he has an igbo masquerade chasing him in his dream

We have to respect people wishes that's all andface argument squarely

Don't get it twisted. Benin people were and are and will never be Yorubas.

However, the title of their king, the crown of their king and his throne are all ours. He is a descendant of the House of Oduduwa. Ghat is the undeniable fact.

We have dared the Oba to declare he is not from the House of Oduduwa. If Benin people say they are not, of course they are not but that throne cannot dare say that.

They should look for their lost wandering son somewhere else. Maybe he followed a mermaid to the lost city of Atlantis or wandered east to establish the Khoi Khoi tribe.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by martineinstein(m): 12:09am On Feb 12, 2016
Super1Star:

I talk say nah lie!!!!!!!

I repeat, do you want to see the picture of Oba Akenzua visiting the Ooni Adesoji Oluremi? Did he disappeared to reach there?
lets see
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by tonychristopher: 12:09am On Feb 12, 2016
kernel504:

IS IT THAT YOU ARE NOT PROUD BEEN A YORUBA MAN, WHY THE IGBO MONIKER?

COWAR....

Thank lord you have noticed that and it took me centuries to even reply him
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by tonychristopher: 12:16am On Feb 12, 2016
Super1Star:

Don't get it twisted. Benin people were and are and will never be Yorubas.

However, the title of their king, the crown of their king and his throne are all ours. He is a descendant of the House of Oduduwa. Ghat is the undeniable fact.

We have dared the Obama to declare he is not from the House of Oduduwa. If Benin people say they are not, of course they are not but that throne cannot dare say that.

They should look for their lost wandering son somewhere else. Maybe he followed a mermaid to the lost city of Atlantis or wandered east to establish the Khoi Khoi tribe.

It doesn't concern me if they are or not...but to be honest with you..I stayed in Benin aroing GRA near airport for two years plus and I now live in Lagos I have not seen any linguistic similarities between the two culture

But I know that Benin empure was influential towards the western Nigeria to Togo and I believe that the title oba that yoruba uses was borrowed from Benin ..this is just my observation. ...I am no historian just observation and candid

There might be relationship between the Benin and Yoruba if I can say cos there is a place called utsen in edo state they speak a mixture of Yoruba and Benin

So its neither here nor there ...but it is left for the Benin to decide ...but one thing that can't be taken away is that the Benin had influence in Yoruba land and maybe Yoruba also had influence ( which can be proved ) with facts

Just like saying that the igbanke had Benin influence in edo state but that doesn't make them benins but igbos

As I said I am just learning history not to yab nor diss sir

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Edmen(m): 12:18am On Feb 12, 2016
I doubt if the person in that pix is oba akenzua. .cause my oba hardly leaves the throne to attend meetings. .even the British hard to come to the palace to see him and still do..He isn't like your obas that travel anyhow they like
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by DICK4UCKPUSSY: 12:19am On Feb 12, 2016
tonychristopher:

Sir igbo are here to learn ..is it wrong to have igbo reading this
I think you should face the subject matter and leave igbo out of this

Igbo must be enigmatic
Learn by arguing what they don't know
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by DICK4UCKPUSSY: 12:22am On Feb 12, 2016
tonychristopher:

It doesn't concern me if they are or not...but to be honest with you..I stayed in Benin aroing GRA near airport for two years plus and I now live in Lagos I have not seen any linguistic similarities between the two culture

But I know that Benin empure was influential towards the western Nigeria to Togo and I believe that the title oba that yoruba uses was borrowed from Benin ..this is just my observation. ...I am no historian just observation and candid

There might be relationship between the Benin and Yoruba if I can say cos there is a place called utsen in edo state they speak a mixture of Yoruba and Benin

So its neither here nor there ...but it is left for the Benin to decide ...but one thing that can't be taken away is that the Benin had influence in Yoruba land and maybe Yoruba also had influence ( which can be proved ) with facts

Just like saying that the igbanke had Benin influence in edo state but that doesn't make them benins but igbos

To cut the story short benin re not yoruba but oba of benin throne is a property of yoruba.
Whether they like it or not the head of oba of benin must rest in ile -ife

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by waleola09: 12:23am On Feb 12, 2016
Edmen:
I doubt if the person in that pix is oba akenzua. .cause my oba hardly leaves the throne to attend meetings. .even the British hard to come to the palace to see him and still do..He isn't like your obas that travel anyhow they like
Check this out, it's a little bit more bold and clearer

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 12:25am On Feb 12, 2016
tonychristopher:

The linguistics are very different. Yorubas are not Binis and vice versa. That is an established fact.

How did their kingdom reached Togo without passing through Yorubaland? How come there is no where in Benin Republic or Togo where their language is being spoken, whereas Yoruba is widely spoken in Benin Republic and Togo and which was due to the fact that we conquered a large part of their land. They should us any part of those lands where there could be traces of their influence.

We stand by the fact that their title, crown and throne remains yorubas and the ruling dynasty is from our lineage. We are also repeating that fact that the Oba cannot deny it. If he can, he should and let us put the matter to rest forever, but I am sure he knows the consequence.

We are not interested in their land but they can't also not take away the fact that the throne and crown and Oba's title is ours. They used to name their Kings Ogiso.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by scholes0(m): 12:29am On Feb 12, 2016
waleola09:

Check this out, it's a little bit more bold and clearer

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3393916_yorubaobas_jpegf94750dda7deaceac26fc925e355fa15

Woww...
It really is Omo N'Oba there oo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by tonychristopher: 12:30am On Feb 12, 2016
Super1Star:

The linguistics are very different. Yorubas are not Binis and vice versa. That is an established fact.

How did their kingdom reached Togo without passing through Yorubaland? How come there is no where in Benin Republic or Togo where their language is being spoken, whereas Yoruba is widely spoken in Benin Republic and Togo and which was due to the fact that we conquered a large part of their land. They should us any part of those lands where there could be traces of their influence.

We stand by the fact that their title, crown and throne remains yorubas and the ruling dynasty is from our lineage. We are also repeating that fact that the Oba cannot deny it. If he can, he should and let us put the matter to rest forever, but I am sure he knows the consequence.

We are not interested in their land but they can also not take away the fact that the throne and crown and Oba's title is ours. They used to name their Kings Ogiso.

Oga the word eko is Lagos name and it is a Benin word and mind you they must have used Benin language as an aristocratic language during those days leaving egun,awori and Yoruba for everyday...they might not also be interested in imposing their language

The Romans spoke Latin but allowed the people they ruled to speak their language they considered that barbarian language ....

Just an observation ....the issue i s twy the term oba houkd be known who owned it..me I am observer and learning
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by AlPeter: 12:31am On Feb 12, 2016
danot1030:
Those Benin indigenes that have been fed with fake history by their parents and those useless IPOB Biafra youth who always think the Yoruba nation is in rivalry of prominence with their tribe and would therefore support anything that is against Yoruba should come and learn from this historic picture and stop arguements.
otuoke may be imperative of you yo ask your elders what transpired between the Oba of Benin and the Britains a few years before that when the Ooni was busy licking Britain's behind.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by tonychristopher: 12:32am On Feb 12, 2016
DICK4UCKPUSSY:

To cut the story short benin re not yoruba but oba of benin throne is a property of yoruba.
Whether they like it or not the head of oba of benin must rest in ile -ife

Things like this you shouldn't use the term weather they like it on not..it is imposing ...I think you have to convince them with superior argument ...that's a bit matured and intellectual

Don't you think ? I like your position butbe empirical and factual
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by dapsonlou(m): 12:34am On Feb 12, 2016
stevenhood2000:
Ooni Adesoji Aderemi (centre) To his left is Colonial British Governor of Nigeria, next, Oba Akenzua of Benin and Oba Ademola, Alake of Abeokuta. To Ooni's right, Oba Oladigbolu, Alaafin of Oyo town, and Oba Adesanya Gbelegbuwa, Awujale of ijebu ode.

Courtesy: Hon. ''Ipoola Ahmed Omisore''

My gramps Oba Aderemi

http://plusmouth..com.ng/2016/02/photo-senior-yoruba-obas-in-year-1937.html
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by DICK4UCKPUSSY: 12:34am On Feb 12, 2016
tonychristopher:

To cut the story short ,benins re not yorubas but Oba of benin is oduduwa property.
Whether they like it or not the head of Oba of benin must rest in his ancestral Land in ile ife.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 12:37am On Feb 12, 2016
tonychristopher:

Oga the word eko is Lagos name and it is a Benin word and mind you they must have used Benin language as an aristocratic language during those days leaving egun,awori and Yoruba for everyday...they might not also be interested in imposing their language

The Romans spoke Latin but allowed the people they ruled to speak their language they considered that barbarian language ....

Just an observation ....the issue i s twy the term oba houkd be known who owned it..me I am observer and learning

Nahhhhh. Up until the 1940s the official language of their palace was Yoruba. They should ask their palace historian.

On Eko issue, they conquered Eko and not Lagos. Eko is a tiny island and Lagos of then and of now include The likes of Ketu, Badagry Epe, Ikorodu, and the mainland.

However they met the Aworis that are Yorubas there. The same revolted in mid 1800 and stopped paying tribute to the Benin and breaking off from Benin Empire and getting back into the Yoruba canopy. That is another fact.

On the Oba issue. They name their Kings before the demise of the Ogiso Dynasty and Eweka the son of Oranmiyan was the first Oba. his father named Bini and he also instituted the Obaship throne in Bini and that lineage stands till today.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by tonychristopher: 12:38am On Feb 12, 2016
DICK4UCKPUSSY:

Learn by arguing what they don't know

I think it is not their forte...Benin has spoken and made their position known right from their oba ...I think that should be respected ...pls do you have any Benin monarch or king in afenifere group ..this will be another pointer ...

Just like saying that English uses the term Baron and Scots or Irish uses the term Baron doesn't make Irish English

Or that igalla and idoma uses the term ochi meaning to rule in igbo that doesn't make igalla igbo

Yet igalla and igbo have cultural relationship

But I do t think any sane igbo will impose fraternity in igalla..but I am sure that utsen speak a mixture of Benin and Yoruba ..that might be the link

As of oduduwa tales... That's way beyond me ...e pass me so i can't talk on that subject
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by dapsonlou(m): 12:39am On Feb 12, 2016
DonLo:
My first question on looking at this picture is 'who is at the centre'.
Anyone who sits at the centre beside the man in suit is the archetypal oba, the first among others. Someone said it's the ooni, maybe he is the first after all.
What's Oba of Benin doing there? Thought someone said he is in the class of Obi and Eze and not an Oba

Oba Aderemi the Ooni is seating at the center.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Drives Vintage Car To Dubar; Same As His Grand-father's In 1956 / 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) / Some Legendary Nigerian Pictures And Quotes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.