Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial (1122 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Bail, Ready To Die With Co-Detainees / Ecowas Court Strikes Out FG Request On Nnamdi Kanu's Case, Adjourns The Ruling / Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Udechukwu As Lawyer To Represent Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by PhockPhockMan: 1:29pm On Feb 19, 2016
By Ikechukwu Nnochiri

ABUJA

The detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Mr. Nnamdi Kanu, who is facing a six-count treason charge, has opposed an application by the federal government to conduct his trial in secret.

FG had in the application it filed before the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, decried that all the witnesses billed to testify against Kanu and two other pro-Biafra agitators, Benjamin Madubugwu and David Nwawuisi, who are facing trial with him, have declined to appear in court.

Director of Radio Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, sandwiched between security operaives, leaving the court yesterday in Abuja.
It said the witnesses insisted that they would not testify against the defendants unless their safety was guaranteed.

Consequently, government lawyer, Mr. David Kaswe,‎ prayed trial Justice John Tsoho to issue an order protecting the identities of the witnesses by ‎allowing them to either wear facial mask or to testify behind screens.
FG equally applied for an order excluding persons except journalists from witnessing the proceedings.

“The measure is to safeguard the lives of prosecution witnesses who live in the geographical region where the defendants come from. Since their arrest, there has been violent protests for the defendants to be released.

“The witnesses have already indicated fear to give evidence in view of perceived backlash. My lord, they have categorically informed us that unless they could be guaranteed some form of protection by the court, they would not come to testify.

“In the light is t‎his, the case of the prosecution will be greatly affected should there be any reason for the witnesses not to come to court”, Kaswe submitted.

Meanwhile, Kanu, through his lead counsel, Chief Chuks Muoma, SAN, vehemently opposed the application which he said grossly lacked merit.
He argued that section 36(4) of the 1999 constitution made no provision for masquerades to testify in a trial ‎involving an alleged act of treason.
“An accused person under our jurisprudence and justice ad‎ministration must be confronted with his accusers eye-ball to eye-ball.

“My lord we operate an accusatorial‎ system of procedure under the common law. Justice must not only be done but must be seen to have been done.
“It is not within common sense to malign and accuse someone in public and apply to try him in the bedroom. Having been accused in public we want to also be tried in public.

“We therefore urge this court not to allow masquerades to testify before it. We want to see their faces and ask them questions. As masquerades, how will the court be able to gauge their demeanour and body language? Is it by the rhythm of their dance steps?

“The tenets of justice outweigh this application and we urge my lord to reject it. It has no merit whatsoever. Secret trial is for terrorism charge, it is not for the type of offence for which these defendants were charged.
“Secret trial does not apply in a case of treasonable felony or involvement in alleged ‎unlawful society. During the trial we will prove to them that we are not an illegal organisation”, Muoma added.

After listening to the parties, Justice Tsoho stood down ruling on the matter till 2pm.

Kanu who was hitherto the Director of Radio Biafra and Television, ‎has been in detention since October 14, 2015, when he was arrested by security operatives upon his arrival to Nigeria from his base in the United Kingdom.

The defendants were alleged to have committed treasonable felony, an offence punishable under Section 41(C) of the Criminal Code Act, CAP C38 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria.

FG alleged that they were the ones managing the affairs of the IPOB which it described as “an unlawful society”.

Specifically, Kanu was alleged to have illegally smuggled radio transmitters into Nigeria, which he used to disseminate “hate broadcasts”, encouraging the “secession of the Republic ofBiafra”, from Nigeria.

However, the accused persons, pleaded not guilty to the charge on January 20, even as the court ordered their remand at Kuje prison ‎in Abuja.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/biafra-kanu-rejects-fgs-request-for-secret-trial/
Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by HungerBAD: 1:31pm On Feb 19, 2016
Okay.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by ishiamu(m): 1:32pm On Feb 19, 2016
Gbam

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by ishiamu(m): 1:32pm On Feb 19, 2016
HungerBAD:
Okay.

Spew your trash as usual waiting to read it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by menabae(f): 1:34pm On Feb 19, 2016
Hmmmm why would they conduct his trial secretly huh?only in Naija
Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by Liberty101: 1:36pm On Feb 19, 2016
This KANU lawyer nawa ooo Too much logic
Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by austin2all: 1:37pm On Feb 19, 2016
But why secret trial?
Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by omenka(m): 1:41pm On Feb 19, 2016
ishiamu:

Spew your trash as usual waiting to read it
He has a right to his opinion just as you have yours. He doesn't have to say the things you like to hear just as you don't say things he likes to hear. When you accept that fact, life would be a lot simpler for you.

@ post: #ItsVanguardAgain! cheesy

Well, Kanu can't "reject" the request, he can only "object" to it. It is the prerogative of the court whether or not to grant the prayer and the last time I checked, Kanu isn't a court.

These journalists sef.
Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by ishiamu(m): 1:43pm On Feb 19, 2016
omenka:
He has a right to his opinion just as you have yours. He doesn't have to say the things you like to hear just as you don't say things he likes to hear. When you accept that fact, life would be a lot simpler for you.

@ post: #ItsVanguardAgain! cheesy

Well, Kanu can't "reject" the request, he can only "object" to it. It is the prerogative of the court whether or not to grant the prayer and the last time I checked, Kanu isn't a court.

These journalists sef.

Omenka omenka omenka free my moniker I go enter u ooo
Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by PhockPhockMan: 1:43pm On Feb 19, 2016

Meanwhile, Kanu, through his lead counsel, Chief Chuks Muoma, SAN, vehemently opposed the application which he said grossly lacked merit.
He argued that section 36(4) of the 1999 constitution made no provision for masquerades to testify in a trial ‎involving an alleged act of treason.
“An accused person under our jurisprudence and justice ad‎ministration must be confronted with his accusers eye-ball to eye-ball.

See finishing,

Lalasticalala, obinoscopy.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by omenka(m): 1:44pm On Feb 19, 2016
menabae:
Hmmmm why would they conduct his trial secretly huh?only in Naija
Oh please, that happens the world over especially when such cases border on national security.

There's nothing "only in Nigeria" about it.

You guys should learn to broaden the scope of your knowledge and stop depending entirely on local/domestic news sources.
Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by Aufbauh(m): 1:46pm On Feb 19, 2016
Whether open or secret trial the one they call Kanu is on a long thing.
One of the IPOBians just told where i was chilling for lunch and listening to the news that the world is waiting for the result of his trial, and it is after then that I'll understand that Nnamdi Kanu is well connected.
I smiled sarcastically as i call his attention to their earlier consolation of how Kanu tricked the FG by making himself available for arrest.
I then conclude that until Kanu is jail or hang then we will know that even the inmate or the devil Mr lucifer is interested in his home coming..... Nnamdi Kanu is a gonner!
Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by Tunami(m): 1:50pm On Feb 19, 2016
naija and their kangaroo court.
Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by PhockPhockMan: 1:50pm On Feb 19, 2016
ishiamu:

Omenka omenka omenka free my moniker I go enter u ooo
No mind that guy, after coming back from lengthy ban, he's back defending evil.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by ishiamu(m): 1:51pm On Feb 19, 2016
PhockPhockMan:

No mind that guy, after coming back from lengthy ban, he's back defending evil.

He's a psycho

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by HARDBUOI: 2:02pm On Feb 19, 2016
God is watching
Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by dunkem21(m): 2:03pm On Feb 19, 2016
grin Masquerades to testify ..LMAO ..
Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by vivalavida(m): 2:08pm On Feb 19, 2016
“My lord we operate an accusatorial‎ system of procedure under the common law. Justice must not only be done but must be seen to have been done.
“It is not within common sense to malign and accuse someone in public and apply to try him in the bedroom. Having been accused in public we want to also be tried in public.
“We therefore urge this court not to allow masquerades to testify before it. We want to see their faces and ask them questions. As masquerades, how will the court be able to gauge their demeanour and body language? Is it by the rhythm of their dance steps?
“The tenets of justice outweigh this application and we urge my lord to reject it. It has no merit whatsoever. Secret trial is for terrorism charge, it is not for the type of offence for which these defendants were charged.
“Secret trial does not apply in a case of treasonable felony or involvement in alleged ‎unlawful society. During the trial we will prove to them that we are not an illegal organisation”, Muoma added.

Lawyer toh badt
Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by PhockPhockMan: 2:25pm On Feb 19, 2016
dunkem21:
grin Masquerades to testify ..LMAO ..

I no fit Laff.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by joeprince23(m): 2:38pm On Feb 19, 2016
Why would FG want a secret trial,this is not pakistan neither is abuja islamabad if you say your withnesses are not under DURESS then allow them to testify openly in court infact PMB is useless
Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by Nuells: 2:49pm On Feb 19, 2016
Kanu's defense lawyer is too sensitive to ignore. His logic is well decorated
Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by Iykopeee: 2:50pm On Feb 19, 2016
The zoo lawyer wants secret trial while kanu was accused publicly? only in the zoo shits happen. No masquerade will be accepted to testify in the court. They shud Come face to face with their bags of evidence if they have balls.
Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by wordcat(m): 3:10pm On Feb 19, 2016
I love this; . “My lord we operate an accusatorial system of procedure under the common law. Justice must not only be done but must be seen to have been done. “It is not within common sense to malign and accuse someone in public and apply to try him in the bedroom. Having been accused in public we want to also be tried in public. “We therefore urge this court not to allow masquerades to testify before it. We want to see their faces and ask them questions. As masquerades, how will the court be able to gauge their demeanour and body language? Is it by the rhythm of their dance steps?
Re: Biafra: Kanu Rejects FG’s Request For Secret Trial by PhockPhockMan: 3:30pm On Feb 19, 2016
Iykopeee:
The zoo lawyer wants secret trial while kanu was accused publicly? only in the zoo shits happen. No masquerade will be accepted to testify in the court. They shud Come face to face with their bags of evidence if they have balls.
Gbam

(1) (Reply)

See The Countries President Buhari Has Visited In Less Than 9 Months / "Why We Can't Expel Cadets Who Tortured A Man "-NDA Commandant / Pray For Leaders. I Saw A State Funeral Procession And Flag Flying At Half-mask

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.