Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,803 members, 7,817,334 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? (11372 Views)

'If You Love Your Mother More Than Your Wife, You Made Your Wife Side Chick' / Marry and Grow In Love Or Marry The Person You Love, Which One Is Better? / Wives and Intending Wives, Do you Love Guys Who Can Cook Very Well? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Mar 01, 2016
Yes. My children, they are my life, my world. Nothing, and no one comes close.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Sparkles003(f): 1:30pm On Mar 01, 2016
JESUS
Cos he gave up his life for me that i may have life.
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Mar 01, 2016
crackhaus:

Unconditional love is love that transcends all negative outcomes and is independent of how the recipient(s) reflects it...all within the confines of common sense though cheesy

You're right, except for that last bit there. Unconditional love isn't subject to the confines of common sense at all, in fact, it characteristically defies it.

@ Topic: User raumdeuter and I are of the same opinion on this one.
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by peterjero(m): 4:18pm On Mar 01, 2016
Siena:
Yes. My children, they are my life, my world. Nothing, and no one comes close.
Daddy Siena your wife should come close, she was there before they came and would be there when they live to form their own homes. Wife is supreme you know even when we don't take note. #derailerspotted
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Mar 01, 2016
strenghtofawoman:
I loved my hubby unconditionally , but my love was taken for granted, I loved too much, cared too much, forgave too easily..I made him a priority in my life, but after going through pregnancy and child bearing , I have to take back my love. His attitude towards me only shows he doesn't need it. I v learnt my lesson, I don't think I will ever love him again unconditionally....

I do not think that you have ever loved him unconditionally in the first place else you would not feel that you need to take your love back because he takes it for granted or because you feel that he doesn't need it.

1 Like

Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Mar 01, 2016
EnlightenedSoul:

You're right, except for that last bit there. Unconditional love isn't subject to the confines of common sense at all, in fact, it characteristically defies it.

@ Topic: User raumdeuter and I are of the same opinion on this one.

Why does unconditional love defy common sense?
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by crackhaus: 5:03pm On Mar 01, 2016
EnlightenedSoul:

Okay, good to know.
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Mar 01, 2016
Mindfulness:

I do not think that you have ever loved him unconditionally in the first place else you would not feel that you need to take your love back because he takes it for granted or because you feel that he doesn't need it.

Never judge a situation you have not been in, he who wears the shoes knows where it pinches most...

The worst feeling is to love and not be loved back, people don't just wake u and stop loving, they get tired of waiting, assuming, hoping, crying and an un-nutured loves dies away
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Mar 01, 2016
strenghtofawoman:

Never judge a situation you have not been in, he who wears the shoes knows where it pinches most...

The worst feeling is to love and not be loved back, people don't just wake u and stop loving, they get tired of waiting, assuming, hoping, crying and an un-nutured loves dies away

I am not judging you or your situation. The thread is about unconditional love and I was only concluding from your post that your love was not unconditional. You need him to love you back (=condition).

Like Crackhaus has beautifully said: "Unconditional love is love that transcends all negative outcomes and is independent of how the recipient(s) reflects it."

@bold

Needing someone to love you back is a condition.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Mar 01, 2016
peterjero:

Daddy Siena your wife should come close, she was there before they came and would be there when they live to form their own homes. Wife is supreme you know even when we don't take note. #derailerspotted

I will respectfully repeat, my kids are my life, my world. No one comes close. They are part of me, and will always be, even after they've married and got families of their own.

My kids will never stop being my babies.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by peterjero(m): 9:01pm On Mar 01, 2016
Siena:

I will respectfully repeat, my kids are my life, my world. No one comes close. They are part of me, and will always be, even after they've married and got families of their own.

My kids will never stop being my babies.
I respect your opinion sir.
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Mar 01, 2016
Mindfulness:

Why does unconditional love defy common sense?
Mindfulness:

I am not judging you or your situation. The thread is about unconditional love and I was only concluding from your post that your love was not unconditional. You need him to love you back (=condition).

Like Crackhaus has beautifully said: "Unconditional love is love that transcends all negative outcomes and is independent of how the recipient(s) reflects it."

@bold

Needing someone to love you back is a condition.

I think you're being a tad insensitive. But this post, in a way, at least partially demonstrates the answer to the question you posed. Where is the common sense in expecting someone to love unconditionally another who does not perhaps him/herself remotely love or care for the person? The lack of any tangible conditions underwhich the love can thrive and flourish, and consequently, the utter lack of reason or driving force for the existence of said "love" is precisely what knocks it squarely out of the realm of common sense.

To be honest, I have a hard time believing the concept truly and actually exists. We're human. We all have our limits. We all have a breaking point. Surely, it's more a case of being blissfully unaware of the condition(s) that could ultimately ruin the state, or a case of having completey lacked the set of specific conditions necessary for the individual at hand, thereby allowing him/her to carry on so-called "unconditionally", rather than the idea that the individual has absolutely no condition(s) at all, whatsoever.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Mar 01, 2016
EnlightenedSoul, nice to see you here. cheesy

EnlightenedSoul:

I think you're being a tad insensitive. But this post, in a way, at least partially demonstrates the answer to the question you posed. Where is the common sense in expecting someone to love unconditionally another who does not perhaps him/herself remotely love or care for the person? The lack of any tangible conditions underwhich the love can thrive and flourish, and consequently, the utter lack of reason or driving force for the existence of said "love" is precisely what knocks it squarely out of the realm of common sense.

First of all, nobody is expecting anything here.
Secondly, what does common sense mean in this context? I can only love you if your behavior pleases me? Is it common sense or rather nonsense?
If your love depends on the behavior of a particular person, what is it that you love, the behavior that pleases you or the person? Rhetorical question.

To be honest, I have a hard time believing the concept truly and actually exists. We're human. We all have our limits. We all have a breaking point. Surely, it's more a case of being blissfully unaware of the condition(s) that could ultimately ruin the state, or a case of having completey lacked the set of specific conditions necessary for the individual at hand, thereby allowing him/her to carry on so-called "unconditionally", rather than the idea that the individual has absolutely no condition(s) at all, whatsoever.

My love for some people has no limits.
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by 4nobody4every1: 10:45pm On Mar 01, 2016
Mindfulness:

Secondly, what does common sense mean in this context? I can only love you if your behavior pleases me? Is it common sense or rather nonsense?
If your love depends on the behavior of a particular person, what is it that you love, the behavior that pleases you or the person? Rhetorical question.

....Just curious to know if you dont mind, what faith or religious inclinations do you subscribe to?. Are you Budhist, Hindu, Christian , Muslim or a Non- Believer, you can ignore the question if you are not comfortable with it, thanks.. cool
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Mar 01, 2016
4nobody4every1:
....Just curious to know if you dont mind, what faith or religious inclinations do you subscribe to?. Are you Budhist, Hindu, Christian , Muslim or a Non- Believer, you can ignore the question if you are not comfortable with it, thanks.. cool

No problem.

I know that God exists. I do not belong to any religion though.

Why do you ask?
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by 4nobody4every1: 11:21pm On Mar 01, 2016
Mindfulness:

No problem.

I know that[b] God exists[/b]. I do not belong to any religion though.
Ok... cool
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by 4nobody4every1: 11:22pm On Mar 01, 2016
Mindfulness:

No problem.

I know that God exists. I do not belong to any religion though.

Why do you ask?
.....Because l have read some of your post and l kind of think you are either Buddhist or Hindu, not sure though but l am cool with your answer all the same. cool
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Mar 01, 2016
4nobody4every1:
.....Because l have read some of your post and l kind of think you are either Buddhist or Hindu, not sure though but l am cool with your answer all the same. cool

I have discovered meditation through Buddhism and I have discovered how powerful it is but I am not a Buddhist. Buddhists strive to become free of desire and I love to fulfill my desires. I have very limited knowledge of Hinduism and I am not particularly interested in knowing more about it.

What about you?
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by 4nobody4every1: 11:31pm On Mar 01, 2016
Mindfulness:

I have discovered meditation through Buddhism and I have discovered how powerful it is but I am not a Buddhist. Buddhists strive to become free of desire and I love to fulfill my desires. I have very limited knowledge of Hinduism and I am not particularly interested in knowing more about it.

What about you?
.. A believer in the birth, death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ the Son of the Living God.. cool
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Mar 01, 2016
4nobody4every1:
.. A believer in the birth, death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ the Son of the Living God.. cool

Ok.
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by 4nobody4every1: 11:38pm On Mar 01, 2016
Mindfulness:

Ok.
...U are welcome smiley
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Mar 01, 2016
4nobody4every1:
...U are welcome smiley

smiley
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Ewuro4: 5:20am On Mar 02, 2016
I do... My Parents and my kids. I'll never desert them 'No matter what'.

Every other Love is Conditional IMO. Most working relationships entail/require some sort of effort from each partner. Otherwise, boredom knocking. Who wants that?
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by 4nobody4every1: 6:39am On Mar 02, 2016
Ewuro4:
I do... My Parents and my kids. I'll never desert them 'No matter what'.

Every other Love is Conditional IMO. Most working relationships entail/require some sort of effort from each partner. Otherwise, boredom knocking. Who wants that?

l like the bold cheesy, why didnt you add the Oga @ the top ?.....Hubby, no offence / disrespect intended though but l respect your sequence of choice.. cheesy smiley

1 Like

Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Mayflowa(m): 7:36am On Mar 02, 2016
FlawlessRebirth2:
I DONT EVEN LOVE

TALK ABOUT UNCONDITIONALLY

What happened to your heart? You should see look for good in people. That is how to get to love and be loved
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Ewuro4: 3:09am On Mar 03, 2016
4nobody4every1:
l like the bold cheesy, why didnt you add the Oga @ the top ?.....Hubby, no offence / disrespect intended though but l respect your sequence of choice.. cheesy smiley

I'll be deceiving readers if I wrote that, so none taken.

A loving or may I call it 'Fair' marriage requires many many Mandatory tasks and roles that comes with accountability. unconditional love will forfeit these roles/tasks.

Even oga at the Top dittoed my sentiments. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by 4nobody4every1: 11:13am On Mar 03, 2016
Ewuro4:

A loving or may I call it 'Fair' marriage requires many many Mandatory tasks and roles that comes with accountability. unconditional love will forfeit these roles/tasks.

Brilliant cool
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by damiso(f): 1:41pm On Mar 03, 2016
Ewuro4:

Well said

How are you and family sis .

1 Like

Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Nobody: 6:09am On Mar 15, 2016
Mindfulness:

Hey, it's nice to see you, too. smiley

I saw this just a few days ago and have given it some consideration. Common sense here = within reason. I would argue that it's a package deal, and would go so far as to say that people are their behavior to certain extent. Has your regard for an individual, or the way you view them as a person never changed due to a sudden or prolonged shift in their attitude towards you, through new ill gotten habits, an unsettling demeanor, disposition, and even, an all out personality change?

Are these individuals family members by any chance? If not, why do you feel there are no limits to your love in regards to them? You don't have to answer these questions if you don't feel comfortable, of course. I'm only curious.
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Nobody: 7:16am On Mar 15, 2016
EnlightenedSoul:

Hey, it's nice to see you, too. smiley

cheesy

I saw this just a few days ago and have given it some consideration. Common sense here = within reason. I would argue that it's a package deal, and would go so far as to say that people are their behavior to certain extent. Has your regard for an individual, or the way you view them as a person never changed due to a sudden or prolonged shift in their attitude towards you, through new ill gotten habits, an unsettling demeanor, disposition, and even, an all out personality change?

@bold
Is it reasonable to let the behavior of others determine how you feel?

Well, I have come to learn that the way I view people very much depends on me and not their behavior.
I can choose to understand a person and I can choose to condemn a person. The choice will determine how I feel about them.

Are these individuals family members by any chance? If not, why do you feel there are no limits to your love in regards to them? You don't have to answer these questions if you don't feel comfortable, of course. I'm only curious.

Some of them are my family members and others are not.
There is no limit to my love because love is not a limited resource.

And is it not interesting that many people can love their family members un-conditionally but believe that they can love nobody else un-conditionally?
If you can love your child, mother, sibling un-conditionally, if you can understand and forgive anything that they do, why can't you do the same for some who is not related to you?
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Nobody: 7:45am On Mar 15, 2016
Mindfulness:

cheesy

@bold
Is it reasonable to let the behavior of others determine how you feel?

Well, I have come to learn that the way I view people very much depends on me and not their behavior.
I can choose to understand a person and I can choose to condemn a person. The choice will determine how I feel about them.

If not for their actions, characteristics and behaviors, how do you judge them worthy of your time, effort, love? What then distinguishes the one deserving of the so-called unconditional love from the next person?

People aren't static and unchanging. Isn't it possible to understand someone today and condemn them tomorrow? Or are you constantly "re-understanding" them? And, if so, why on earth and to what end?

Some of them are my family members and others are not.
There is no limit to my love because love is not a limited resource.

And is it not interesting that many people can love their family members un-conditionally but believe that they can love nobody else un-conditionally?
If you can love your child, mother, sibling un-conditionally, if you can understand and forgive anything that they do, why can't you do the same for some who is not related to you?

The thing is, I don't believe love for family to be unconditional in nature, either. When and if you've lost love and favor for a member of your family by their own undoing there still remains, for some, a modicum of familial duty that remains their right as blood, a miniscule last ditch effort of sorts other folks simply aren't afforded. It is but a small mercy I would not term love. And oftentimes, they may not even be given this special consideration attained simply through the merit of kinship by all or most of their kin, and sometimes, by none at all.
Re: Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 15, 2016
The discussion is taking an interesting turn. wink

author=EnlightenedSoul post=43781619]

If not for their actions, characteristics and behaviors, how do you judge them worthy of your time, effort, love? What then distinguishes the one deserving of the so-called unconditional love from the next person?

Why did you decide to bring time and effort into the discussion? cheesy Does loving people mean that you are required to spend time with them or make any efforts? And more importantly, why do you have to consider anyone worthy of your love when the feeling of love does more for you than for the ones that you love because it is something that you feel and the feeling is good, isn't it?

This is where people get it wrong most of the time. Hating or loving affects you in the first place, not the person you love or hate.

People aren't static and unchanging. Isn't it possible to understand someone today and condemn them tomorrow? Or are you constantly "re-understanding" them? And, if so, why on earth and to what end?

Of course it is possible to understand people today and to condemn them tomorrow. It is also possible to constantly seek to understand them. It is a choice if you want so. To what end? To feel good. You do it for yourself. Doesn't understanding feel better than condemnation?

The thing is, I don't believe love for family to be unconditional in nature, either. When and if you've lost love and favor for a member of your family by their own undoing there still remains, for some, a modicum of familial duty that remains their right as blood, a miniscule last ditch effort of sorts other folks simply aren't afforded. It is but a small mercy I would not term love. And oftentimes, they may not even be given this special consideration attained simply through the merit of kinship by all or most of their kin, and sometimes, by none at all.

Well, you can feel condemnation, resentment or even hate justly or unjustly. You can hold grudges justly or unjustly. The point is that it affects you. Forgiveness and love free you, not the one you forgive or love. In fact, you can hold grudges and hatred or love and forgiveness, which will affect you positively or negatively without the other caring at all. You choose how you feel if you have control over how you feel.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bill Cosby? Father Figure or EX CAREER RAPIST? / . / A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.