Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,257 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind (29940 Views)

[superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons / Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] / Foreign Religions: The Bane Of Nigeria Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Pataricatering(f): 3:07pm On Feb 25, 2016
Pls tell us your encounter in detail?
mildflame:

OGA talk wetin u know, if u don't know u don't KNOW. I know witchcraft EXIST because of one on one encounter with one but that does not limit my destiny,NEVER. If U ever had an experience ur write would have been MORE BALANCE not just THEORETICAL l

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by omonnakoda: 3:12pm On Feb 25, 2016
Pataricatering:
This is proof that witches exist? I have dogs and they behave like what you just described a lot. Go and read up on the hearing ability of dogs you would understand why your claim that witches exist because your dog was Barking is ridiculous.
Not just dogs 18 year old can hear sounds that 50 year olds can not hear so if they hang out outside your house making noise hear is how to get rid of them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjrQEM8oUNI

2 Likes

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 3:12pm On Feb 25, 2016
johnydon22:
This really is not about belief in religion, it doesn't take disbelief in religion for one to rid self of such demeaning fear and gullibility..
belief in a force unknown to man is not something common only in Nigeria, its everywhere. you over rate it. people have a right to what they will believe or not
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Misterdhee1(m): 3:16pm On Feb 25, 2016
Even though superstition is a pitiful part of our society, but I still think not all things we see as being superstitious, are really are.. We are in a weird world, where weird things are real..
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by mildflame: 3:17pm On Feb 25, 2016
Pataricatering:
Pls tell us your encounter in detail?

Na u be OP?
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:18pm On Feb 25, 2016
Pataricatering:
When bishop oyedepo was slapping a a little girl and calling her a witch where we're you?

This is a non sequitur to what I posted
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by omonnakoda: 3:19pm On Feb 25, 2016
Elliotwiz1:
belief in a force unknown to man is not something common only in Nigeria, its everywhere. you over rate it. people have a right to what they will believe or not
There is a corollary to belief in unknown when it becomes a social problem.When people believe that a person is a witch and that belief motivates physical or other harm as in so called child witches and when such beliefs receive institutional validation from the likes of Bishop Oyedepo.
When such belief inform the action of beheading or otherwise dismembering another person in the hope of becoming wealthy.

No these beliefs are not always neutral or harmless often they are quite the contrary. It is beliefs of some sort that motivate Boko Haram so beliefs should be monitored.They are not an absolute right.Some beliefs in many jurisdictions constitute "delusions" making a person liable to detention in hospital potentially indefinitely

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by johnydon22(m): 3:19pm On Feb 25, 2016
Elliotwiz1:
I only addressed the disturbing effects such beliefs has on our OWN society...

-Leaving Children to die because they are believed to be witches

-Slapping and beating these Children with other forms of physical abuse because they are being accused of being witches.

-Mobbing old men and women to death with the mantra that they are witches.

thousands of these disturbing reasons... I do not care what the whole world believe everyone has that right... When such belief becomes dangerous to the well being of humans it becomes a societal vice and silence can most times mean complicity.

Such disturbing beliefs and nonsensical superstitions deserves to be destroyed because they are a societal vice and detriment to the well being of the society

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:20pm On Feb 25, 2016
GeneralShepherd:

I have one simple question for you, why do you believe in a God?

Because he is my Lord , my creator , my saviour
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 3:21pm On Feb 25, 2016
GeneralShepherd:
Superstition is so firmly rooted in the Nigerian culture that there is no respite in sight, 50 years from now nothing will change.

It is heartbreaking for me to see my friends and family organise fasting and prayers to pray for long life,prosperity, protection, energy supplyetc. But then again , It is difficult to discard religion and superstition in a failed society like Nigeria where basic social amenities are non-existent.

Please there is a notion being peddled on this forum by some mischievous Christians that Norway is a Christian country. This is completely false, it is true that on a face value 80% of Norwegians identify as Christians, only 5% actually go to church or are active Christians.

Scandevians (Denmark, Finland, Norway etc) are the least religious amongst Europeans. Conversely poor European countries like Poland, Romania and Estonia are more religious.

Religion inhibits development, it has been shown over and over again. Lying for Jesus will not change this fact
I like this comment. I would quote it sometime in the near future.

2 Likes

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by omonnakoda: 3:24pm On Feb 25, 2016
Weird things are real but a superstitious explanation for a weird thing is still a superstitious explanation.
Weirdness is not a function of phenomena but rather a reflection of the limitation of the human nervous system in processing that phenomena

1000 years ago the internet would have been Megaweird that would not justify a superstitious explanation

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:25pm On Feb 25, 2016
Tallesty1:
It is better to ignore posts like this sometimes.

Superstition or belief in a deity does not stop advancement . I gave countries who are doing fine and are both superstitious and religious . People mock the North because of their poverty rate and believe Islam - their religion - is the cause . But look at UAE , Saudi Arabia , Qatar and see how hard they ball . And they are very strict with their religious beliefs - execution of criminal offenders by beheading , flogging of sex offenders in public , misogyny etc .

1 Like

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:27pm On Feb 25, 2016
omonnakoda:
Weird things are real but a superstitious explanation for a weird thing is still a superstitious explanation.
Weirdness is not a function of phenomena but rather a reflection of the limitation of the human nervous system in processing that phenomena
1000 years ago the internet would have been Megaweird that would not justify a superstitious explanation

When something supersedes nature then it is ... ?

1 Like

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by omonnakoda: 3:28pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

When something supersedes nature then it is ... ?
Sorry but I do not understand this sentence. You are communicating with yourself.

1 Like

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 3:29pm On Feb 25, 2016
johnydon22:

-Slapping and beating these Children with other forms of physical abuse because they are being accused of being witches.

thousands of these disturbing reasons... I do not care what the whole world believe everyone has that right... When such belief becomes dangerous to the well being of humans it becomes a societal vice and silence can most times mean complicity.
but you forget that these beliefs are not a true reflection of the human minds. they believe in such because man will always find an object, living or nonliving to blame for his problems. the effect of your words on the people will have little or no effect. such retarded manifestations of life are inherent only in those who are in the backwaters of life. rather than blame my people, seek to improve their life. let your efforts be towards securing a better life for the people rather than at their beliefs and customs and inane traditions.
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 3:30pm On Feb 25, 2016
johnydon22:

Not only those but our politicians also use our belief systems against us. An incompetent bastard rather than admitting not to know how to go about societal problems would tell Nigerians to put their hope in God; praying and fasting simple problems away.

Looting politicians chased by the EFCC tell the gullible public that only God should judge them, not manmade courts. Even our 'men of goat' enjoy the phrase their followers chant of "touch not my anointed" and "leave judgement to God" when caught red-handed.

A very good example to show Africans are still under mental bondage is sunday's thread of "do you believe in witches?", 99.9% of nairalanders responded in the affirmative. Let me not start with Nigerians on different blogs tapping into others' blessings rather than putting their hands to work.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Zoe99(f): 3:30pm On Feb 25, 2016
I admit that sometimes people make wrong assumptions but demonic forces,witches and wizards do torment people and afflict people in some cases.
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by malvisguy212: 3:32pm On Feb 25, 2016
Pataricatering:
This is proof that witches exist? I have dogs and they behave like what you just described a lot. Go and read up on the hearing ability of dogs you would understand why your claim that witches exist because your dog was Barking is ridiculous.
alright.
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by johnydon22(m): 3:33pm On Feb 25, 2016
Elliotwiz1:
but you forget that these beliefs are not a true reflection of the human minds. they believe in such because man will always find an object, living or nonliving to blame for his problems. the effect of your words on the people will have little or no effect. such retarded manifestations of life are inherent only in those who are in the backwaters of life. rather than blame my people, seek to improve their life. let your efforts be towards securing a better life for the people rather than at their beliefs and customs and inane traditions.
Nothing speaks louder than knowledge ... Beliefs that are detrimental to societal well-being deserves to be chastised by any means necessary..

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Tallesty1(m): 3:34pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Superstition or belief in a deity does not stop advancement . I gave countries who are doing fine and are both superstitious and religious . People mock the North because of their poverty rate and believe Islam - their religion - is the cause . But look at UAE , Saudi Arabia , Qatar and see how hard they ball . And they are very strict with their religious beliefs - execution of criminal offenders by beheading , flogging of sex offenders in public , misogyny etc .

Yea... I know that but the reason I said that you should ignore the OP is because there's nothing you will say that will stop him from ridiculing Christians on here.

I read his post and there's nothing there that could convince a Christian to change his mind, just baseless assumptions.

Talking bout witchcraft, Saudi still execute witches openly but I don't think the OP is aware of that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:34pm On Feb 25, 2016
charix:

Not only those but our politicians also use our belief systems against us. An incompetent bastard rather than admitting not to know how to go about societal problems would tell Nigerians to put their hope in God; praying and fasting simple problems away.

Looting politicians chased by the EFCC tell the gullible public that only God should judge them, not manmade courts. Even our 'men of goat' enjoy the phrase their followers chant of "touch not my anointed" and "leave judgement to God" when caught red-handed.

A very good example to show Africans are still under mental bondage is sunday's thread of "do you believe in witches?", 99.9% of nairalanders responded in the affirmative. Let me not start with Nigerians on different blogs tapping into others' blessings rather than putting their hands to work.

Whites believe in witches too . And the practice of satanism is prevalent in their countries

1 Like

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 25, 2016
omonnakoda:
There is a corollary to belief in unknown when it becomes a social problem.When people believe that a person is a witch and that belief motivates physical or other harm as in so called child witches and when such beliefs receive institutional validation from the likes of Bishop Oyedepo.
When such belief inform the action of beheading or otherwise dismembering another person in the hope of becoming wealthy.

No these beliefs are not always neutral or harmless often they are quite the contrary. It is beliefs of some sort that motivate Boko Haram so beliefs should be monitored.They are not an absolute right.Some beliefs in many jurisdictions constitute "delusions" making a person liable to detention in hospital potentially indefinitely
your point is well understood but your effort aimed at your presumed change for the good is on the wrong target. to stop a problem go to the source, go to the source of these beliefs and curb the problem. the source is the lives of the people, let your pressure be on development of the nation and these beliefs will die with time...ever wondered why people living in slums don't hesitate before a smash but those in the GRAs would rather make a phone call to the appropriate bodies concerned ?
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:37pm On Feb 25, 2016
Tallesty1:
Yea... I know that but the reason I said that you should ignore the OP is because there's nothing you will say that will stop him from ridiculing Christians on here.

I read his post and there's nothing there that could convince a Christian to change his mind, just baseless assumptions.

Talking bout witchcraft, Saudi still execute witches openly but I don't think the OP is aware of that.

Thank you ! He chooses to ignore those facts to accommodate his unbelief and spread the delusion
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by johnydon22(m): 3:37pm On Feb 25, 2016
charix:

Never trust a person who conjures up things to heap blames for his own mistakes and incompetence.

You will see a rapist blame the devil for his actions... It is a very ridiculous thing, people blaming abstract concepts for their short comings which are direct effects of their own volition and will..

Emergence of reason will always be gradual and consistent process.... there will be a time when such poll won't see up to 50% affirmation..

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 3:38pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

All those rules are put to govern the common man on the street. Rub shoulders with top men in their government and you'd realize atheism is the way of life for them - they only use religion for its original intent: control.
Saudi princes are well known for bedding women of all races, keeping slaves and indulging in perverse acts meanwhile the common man on the street can get executed for hugging a woman in public.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by omonnakoda: 3:42pm On Feb 25, 2016
Elliotwiz1:
your point is well understood but your effort aimed at your presumed change for the good is on the wrong target. to stop a problem go to the source, go to the source of these beliefs and curb the problem. the source is the lives of the people, let your pressure be on development of the nation and these beliefs will die with time...ever wondered why people living in slums don't hesitate before a smash but those in the GRAs would rather make a phone call to the appropriate bodies concerned ?
What effort .What target? what are you talking about because I have not got a clue.Your words make plenty of sense...........to you.
I have no intention to change anyone. People exist at the developmental level they have earned, in their own time they will make progress or cease to exist one way or another. It is not my place to change anyone. I only describe what I perceive

2 Likes

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 3:42pm On Feb 25, 2016
johnydon22:
Nothing speaks louder than knowledge ... Beliefs that are detrimental to societal well-being deserves to be chastised by any means necessary..
you're trying to drain a stream by fetching the water with a bucket. that's the kind of effect criticising people's belief has. you cannot antagonise and influence at the same time. just as you hold a belief that what they do is barbaric so do they also hold funny beliefs about those who do not indulge in such acts. do you get? words alone can't change beliefs, put your effort in improving their lives and their Orthodox beliefs will be only in history classes
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 3:43pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Whites believe in witches too . And the practice of satanism is prevalent in their countries
The people who believe in those are a minority who the majority believe should get locked in mental institutions.

1 Like

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by johnydon22(m): 3:43pm On Feb 25, 2016
Tallesty1:

That Saudi carry out such barbaric act does it make it right? So you should emulate them because you have an example of a western nation killing alleged witches?

I addressed a Nigerian audience in a Nigerian society, not a comparison or competition between world superstitions.

That you choose to justify such demeaning superstition by invoking an even more disturbing show and effect of similar superstition in another society is lower than low..

simply condemn what is condemnable...

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 3:44pm On Feb 25, 2016
omonnakoda:
What effort .What target? what are you talking about because I have not got a clue.Your words make plenty of sense...........to you.
I have no intention to change anyone. People exist at the developmental level they have earned, in their own time they will make progress or cease to exist one way or another. It is not my place to change anyone. I only describe what I perceive
must everything be written in plain before you understand ? educate them I say!!! better access to basic amenities !!! etc
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by omonnakoda: 3:44pm On Feb 25, 2016
Zoe99:
I admit that sometimes people make wrong assumptions but demonic forces,witches and wizards do torment people and afflict people in some cases.
How do you know this?

1 Like

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by omonnakoda: 3:46pm On Feb 25, 2016
Elliotwiz1:
must everything be written in plain before you understand ? educate them I say!!! better access to basic amenities !!! etc
Not everyone is as smart as you . I wish I was though..........

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Bishop David Oyedepo Dances With Two Kids On Altar At Shiloh 2017 / Nigerians Will Soon Smile Again – Kumuyi / Should I Reduce My Age So I Can Go For NYSC?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.