Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily (4841 Views)

Over 1500 Niger Delta Militants To Surrender Arms To Fed Gov / 1,000 Ex-militants To Get Samsung Job Offer / Presidency To Spend N1.57m On Food Daily! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by SamMilla1(m): 10:00am On Jul 18, 2009
Some 10,000 militants could benefit from an amnesty in Niger Delta region, a military official told the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) on Friday.

Air-Vice Marshal Lucky Ararile said militants, who disarmed, would be paid a monthly allowance of N20,000 and a daily food allowance of N1,500, while being reintegrated into civilian life.

The main militant group has called a 60-day halt to attacks in the Delta. This followed the release of militant leader, Henry Okah on Monday, as part of the amnesty.

AVM Ararile said the militants were based at about 60 camps around the Delta. He said the authorities were setting up 27 collection and reintegration centres for the disarming fighters, mostly in Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa states where the violence had been worst.

The disarming militants would be paid N20,000 ($135) per month while in the centres, along with N1,500 a day for food, he said.

After a major military offensive in May, President Umaru Yar’Adua proposed the amnesty, in an offer which lasts until October. Rebel leader, Henry Okah, was the first militant granted amnesty this month. But his organisation, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, dismissed the amnesty offer in general, saying it should be aimed at criminals, not “freedom fighters.”

The movement has been attacking oil installations, kidnapping petroleum company employees and fighting government troops since January 2006 in what it called a protest against the unrelenting poverty of people in the Niger Delta. It wants to force the government to devote more oil-industry funds to the region.

0At the same time, Nigeria’s military has been fighting a losing battle against its opponents, who use guerrilla tactics in an intricate network of lagoons, creeks, estuaries and mangrove swamps stretching across one million square miles (640 million acres). The area is home to several minority groups and some of Africa’s largest oil deposits.

Reacting to the speculation on Friday, a militant leader, who called himself one of the field commanders of MEND, but preffered to remain anonymous, threatened that the nation would witness deadlier attacks on unexpected economic interests.

The militant leader’s reaction came as the coordinator of Ijaw Monitoring Group, Joseph Evah, warned that the amnesty package of the Federal Government was heading for the rocks in the face of the speculation.

The militia warlord who spoke on telephone however, asserted that all freedom fighters will observe the 60- day ceasefire after which the next line of action will be determined.

“We have been hearing of things like that but we shall not react until the end of the ceasefire declared by the leadership of MEND; but I can assure you that government should not contemplate such a rubbish; who told them we are hungry?

“They should keep their N20,000 for their families, we don’t need it to survive because even some of us have been doing more than that for our fighters in the creeks. But let me assure you, once that is confirmed to be true, then the nation should be prepared for deadlier attacks on what the deceitful political leadership relies on to give to us.”

- saturday tribune
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by Morizo(m): 1:37pm On Jul 18, 2009
The govt should pay conflict resolution consultants to advise the on what to do since its obvious they have ran out of ideas. Is it not common wisdom dat infrasturctural decay and uneven distribution of the nation's wealth gave birth to all this in the first place? Until they address the issue poverty and inequality in this country, they might as well increase the no of nigerians to be paid monthly stipends. Enough of this mockery uncle Yar'Adua and Brother Goodluck!
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by Bialegend(m): 1:49pm On Jul 18, 2009
RUBBISH!!!
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by SamMilla1(m): 1:50pm On Jul 18, 2009
its obvious their idea of settlement is to pay the agitated people and continue their lootings.
God help this country
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jul 18, 2009
I hereby declare myself a militant. As a matter of fact, i masterminded the Atlas cove bombing. I have accepted the Amnesty Offer from the govt.
Now where the f.c.uk is my CHEQUE!!!
Nonsense
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by Bialegend(m): 2:05pm On Jul 18, 2009
I wonder how long these Ijaws will continue being fools. First, it was ministries of this and that and this and that designed by those illiterates to pacify them so the looting will continue. During the creation of the last ministry of Niger Delta, i warned many of them in this forum, but they could not head the advise and were saying the creation of the Niger Delta ministry was a welcome development. Ibime comes to mind.
Today, can anyone tell us where is the ministry and it's achievement? I do not know why this my Ijaw neighbors will prefer to remain fools forever. Now, they have come up with amnesty for them (who offended who) and have proposed to be paying them a paltry N1,500 a day, plus N20,000 a month. Now, tell me who is supposed to be paying who? Is the oil for who in the first place? Someone come into your house, seized your properties by force and proposed to be paying you paltry sum of amount after selling your properties, and you stood still and accepted the proposal? Only the gullible.
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by Tudor6(f): 2:06pm On Jul 18, 2009
I just hope this isn't their long term measure to deal with this problem by putting the militants on govt pay roll. They should focus on building infrastructure and developement of the delta so these ex-militants can fend for themselves else it's just a waste of time.
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by Osejie(m): 2:55pm On Jul 18, 2009
It is laughable. Imagine a militant who make millions from oil bunkering, 2 fall back 2 #20,000per mth. FG should think of a better way of handling the ND situation.
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by sley4life(m): 4:20pm On Jul 18, 2009
If this is true then i declare myself as a militant. I will tender my weapons and hope they pay me the proposed sum daily or monthly. But come to think of it are we up to 10,000 militants in the niger delta grin
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by COSMASUCHE: 5:47pm On Jul 18, 2009
These militants that are used to millions of Naira; how do you think that just 20,000 will satisfy them. I think this amnesty thing will not work.
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by nikky5(m): 5:51pm On Jul 18, 2009
Incredible! Sure it is. this is the best that can come from a government that has no focus and bereft of ideas that can bring final solution to the niger deltans.Are the militants criminals and if so who or which court made the pronouncement.The freedom fighters knows the secret of this government and their corruptive tendency.This administration treats corruption with kid gloves and some of Yar'Adua ministers actively participate in bunkering which is a very profitable business in the creeks.What is N20,000 compared to the millions the senators and house of reps members cart home every month?What is N20,000 to the welathy militants?What about the non-militant and highly impoverished people of the oil rich communities who are suffering lack of infrastructure and neglect?The amnesty is nothing but a 'mirage'.the worst is yet to come from the militants.They will use the period of ceasefire to stockpile arms and ammunition and I foresee the Nigerian state declaring a state of emergency in the niger delta.A WAR may ensue and I can assure you fellow nigerians that some countries are interested in what is happening in Nigeria so that they sell arms and ammunition.In what way has this administration affected your life positively since its inception?
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by imranmo(m): 5:58pm On Jul 18, 2009
Freedom fighters? WTF! these people are terrorists , I still don't understand why the Amersicans are yetto militarily protect their interests against these vagabonds. shocked
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by Izunwa(m): 6:14pm On Jul 18, 2009
angry I ask myself 4de millionth time WHO IS FOLLOWING WHO IN THIS COUNTRY? Anyway no problem na my papa I blame, had it being he allowed join Ateke wen I wanted, I be countin my blessings now. Chai ! Pple incharge of disbursing this cash don hammer. Are dey recruiting pple 4de exercise?
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by ReachRich(m): 6:17pm On Jul 18, 2009
God help us.
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by Oscawaruna(m): 6:47pm On Jul 18, 2009
I want to buy oil to enable the freedom fighters to buy more ammunition to demolish that yaraduwa's country.
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by Robotnik: 6:53pm On Jul 18, 2009
Instead, the Government should pay NYSC such salary, people capable of re-building the nation rather than glorified criminals
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by altidore(m): 6:56pm On Jul 18, 2009
This is not going to work! 20k is nothing to these N.D M guys. This is another method of looting, watch out!
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by regaltopax(m): 7:03pm On Jul 18, 2009
imranmo:

Freedom fighters? WTF! these people are terrorists , I still don't understand why the Amersicans are yetto militarily protect their interests against these vagabonds. shocked

these people are no terrorists, the way they are going about claiming their rights might be wrong but it doesnt make them terrorist. you have to understand them before you start judging them.
the americans are not bothered about the interests there . trust me they are happy that the problem is happening (and it seems they are encouraging it ) where do you think the money for the weapons is coming from? who do you think is paying these people? Do you think they would be bombing oil facilities if they are not benefiting from it?
Alot of cars in america dont need fuel to run, so its all about being World Power that matters to them.

@topic

The people advising the government are either crazy or they are benefiting from the money to be distributed/. instead of looking into a long term solution, they are busy looking into a one month solution. they play politics with everything in this country
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by imranmo(m): 7:23pm On Jul 18, 2009
@ Regaltopox , I do agree that International Interests will not Intervene , considering weapon sales nevrtheles consieder the definition from a dictionary , Grab urs:

Terrorist ; somebody using violence for political purposes: somebody who uses violence, especially bombing, kidnapping, and assassination, to intimidate others, often for political purposes
Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. Tous droits réservés. grin
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by blacksta(m): 7:23pm On Jul 18, 2009
Why the hell would i leave oil bunkering/Kidnapping for a mere 65k when i am already grossing Millions of Naira Monthly. The other day one of our boys a fellow militant was found with about 50 Million Naira in his bank account.  In short i will call the 65k a bonus for my services to Nigeria.
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by Pataki: 8:01pm On Jul 18, 2009
When will all these fools ever learn?

Is this a solution to the problem already on ground? I guess in Nigeria now, it pays to be an idiot! Once you are an idiot, you are bound to be a leader.
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by Idahsteve: 8:10pm On Jul 18, 2009
i never knew militancy is rewarding, thisday news said 65k,

what of Nigerian graduates who have served this country and government for one productive yr after graduation?

i don't think the government is aware of this dangerous precedent.
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by chic2pimp(m): 8:11pm On Jul 18, 2009
sley4life:

If this is true then i declare myself as a militant. I will tender my weapons and hope they pay me the proposed sum daily or monthly. But come to think of it are we up to 10,000 militants in the niger delta grin
     hehehehehe grin grin grin grin grin. Abeg make i join u cool cool cool. Me too i declare myself i militant
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by Middleman: 8:14pm On Jul 18, 2009
, angry
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by Middleman: 8:15pm On Jul 18, 2009
1,500 a day, shey na from prime chinese dey wan order their food from, because that wan pass mr biggs

all i know is govt head no correct, dey suppose find long lasting solution to this issue not paying some idiots money to keep kidnapping people n blowing off stuffs, make dem find employment for them and buy all their guns after they don settle the whole issue
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by chic2pimp(m): 8:20pm On Jul 18, 2009
Idahsteve:

i never knew militancy is rewarding, thisday news said 65k,
Pataki link=topic=298165.msg4210626#msg4210626 date=1247943679:

When will all these fools ever learn?
Is this a solution to the problem already on ground? I guess in Nigeria now, it pays to be an idiot! Once you are an idiot, you are bound to be a leader.
what of Nigerian graduates who have served this country and government for one productive yr after graduation?

i don't think the government is aware of this dangerous precedent.
    abeg u ppl make una no kill me jor. I no wan talk i dey fear dis militanats ppl dey fit spys for nairaland
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by regaltopax(m): 8:21pm On Jul 18, 2009
imranmo:

Terrorist ; somebody using violence for political purposes

Thanks for sharing the knowledge and for correcting me  . i never thought of terrorist in that manner. it was more like Terrorist are the bad guys and freedom fighters(activists) are the good guys.
I cant disagree with a dictionary definition

@topic

where can one apply to be a militant? i think i want to join before they start issuing the checks, grin
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by chic2pimp(m): 8:30pm On Jul 18, 2009
regaltopax:

Thanks for sharing the knowledge and for correcting me . i never thought of terrorist in that manner. it was more like Terrorist are the bad guys and freedom fighters(activists) are the good guys.
I cant disagree with a dictionary definition

@topic

where can one apply to be a militant? i think i want to join before they start issuing the checks, grin
Rotflmao hehehehehe grin grin grin . Abeg when u find out can u kindly inform me too so i can join u also.
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by Kobojunkie: 8:37pm On Jul 18, 2009
This is a slap in the face of alll Nigerians who have been holding out patiently fighting for change. The government just spat in the face of all Nigerians who have been patiently fighting their causes in courts and in offices around that country.
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by chic2pimp(m): 8:53pm On Jul 18, 2009
Kobojunkie:

This is a slap in the face of alll Nigerians who have been holding out patiently fighting for change. The government just spat in the face of all Nigerians who have been patiently fighting their causes in courts and in offices around that country.
if na only spit it would have been ok. They did not only spit on their faces they also shat on it as well. Yeye govt
Re: Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily by chyk91(m): 9:19pm On Jul 18, 2009
this cant work, instead farmers and poor people will step forward and collect the money. the militants are rich, money should not be an incentive in the first place. develop the niger delta thats what they are asking for.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall / Politics Of Meat Production: Where Do The Nigerian Goats, Sheep And Cattle Go? / Dino Vs Remi Tinubu:the Hypocrisy Of Our SW Brethren

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.