Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,842 members, 7,831,726 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike (8923 Views)

NNPC Scandal: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Pledge Support for Baru (Photos) / Avengers Warns NUPENG, PENGASSAN, Foreigners To Leave Oil Fields / PENGASSAN Going On Strike On Thursday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by yuuusufa(m): 9:56am On Mar 11, 2016
Cabals holding Nigerians to ransom since 1914
Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by ujuesther: 10:14am On Mar 11, 2016
MadCow1:
Buhari should find a way to scrap NUPENG, PENGASSAN, Tanker Drivers Union and the NLC.

These groups have grown into monsters that only lookout for their selfish interests and no the General good.

Who in their right minds would oppose a move to unbundle the NNPC?

Yours is the most worthless statement I've heard in recent time. You are obviously unaware of the functions of pressure groups in society. Government and employers of labour will become autocratic, inconsiderate and domineering without the presence of trade union. Even the minister had to concede to his impasse, then who are you to oppose the existence of these groups? The only reason why oil workers have better welfare packages in Nigeria is as a result of the these in-groups. It will do you a whole lot of good if you support the creation of a union in whatever industry you are.
Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by MadCow1: 10:24am On Mar 11, 2016
ujuesther:

Yours is the most worthless statement I've heard in recent time. You are obviously unaware of the functions of pressure groups in society. Government and employers of labour will become autocratic, inconsiderate and domineering without the presence of trade union. Even the minister had to concede to his impasse, then who are you to oppose the existence of these groups? The only reason why oil workers have better welfare packages in Nigeria is as a result of the these in-groups. It will do you a whole lot of good if you support the creation of a union in whatever industry you are.

Lol..

Take it easy or wait till your period is over before you respond. No need to go overly hard on a debate. Make your point and wait for my retort. In the end, one wins the other over or we agree to disagree. grin

Back to the topic..

I am more than aware of the roles and functions of Unions. My own father was a Chapter Chairman of PEGASSAN at some point and I saw first hand the powers and influence his office held.

But power in the hands of the wrong person becomes dangerous and detrimental to the general cause. Unions are meant to protect the workers, but where the Unions protect the workers at the expense of the Masses, then it has got to be crushed. History has shown how bad Unions can get. Go and Read up on the Unions in the United States and Britain and how the Government struggled to bring them under control when they started blackmailing and holding the government to ransom for selfish reasons.

In Rivers State, the National Union of Teachers blocked all efforts of the Rivers State Government to carry out a re-assessment of teachers. Move like that protects people like the Edo State teacher who couldn't read an affidevit from being spotted and given the deserved sack. I remember how Oshomole turned to the NLC chairman and said 'You See'..

There are pros & cons to Unionism.. Right now in Nigeria, what we are mostly seeing are the Cons because these unions have been hijacked by people with shady characters and ulterior motives.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by ola6: 10:29am On Mar 11, 2016
ogene007:

The government was perceived as not being sincere, hence the strike action. I guess the government has given assurances to the unions that they would be carried along, moving forward, before the strike was called off. I want to add that before any successful unbundling can be done, proper governance structures, backed by the necessary legal framework has to be put in place to ensure that we would not have another [size=16pt]NITEL fiasco[/size] on our hands. Unbundling of NNPC is not a quickfix activity for the purpose of playing to the media. It is an activity that has to be properly thought through. I guess Buhari and Kachikwu have learnt their lessons.

The best comment on this thread! Kudos!!!
Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by opribo(m): 10:35am On Mar 11, 2016
our country has always been good until wicked and blood thirsty vampires started taking over offices. Of which he is one of them vampires.
certainly, our hero is not PMB he has only come to settle himself and to settle his people. To get back our country will take some sacrifices and I'm afraid that may mean a lot of heads must roll.
Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by arsenal33: 10:37am On Mar 11, 2016
who were they fighting for?
Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by emi14: 10:38am On Mar 11, 2016
Everybody have abandoned foreign exchange, Dasukigate, Ese saga, MTN, Hausa-Fulani herdsmen. Our compass is on Nupeng/Pengassn. We keep the change. Change!! Everything is inconclusive. Change in super Eagles. Inconclusive budget, inconclusive Nnamdi Kanu. Inconclusive economy and country. Inconclusive tribal sentiments . Let us examine ourselves individually. An unexamined life is not worth living.
Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by jamace(m): 10:40am On Mar 11, 2016
Govt should sack any ineffective executive. Period.

Any dept which is not functioning well, the leader there should be fired.
Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by otokx(m): 10:45am On Mar 11, 2016
Things must get better.
Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by blackprowler: 10:47am On Mar 11, 2016
ogene007:

Abacha tried all those tactics and failed woefully, so Buhari who is just a learner in the art of oppression and misrule can only fail. You will do yourself a world of good by studying more about the history of trade unionism in nigeria before coming online to advertise you lack of proper education.

It is you who really needs to know. You're secure in your Nigerian-level understanding of life. It is the NIGERIAN PEOPLE I blame: the failed Nigerian people brought up to pursue only narrow self-interest. If we had associations and organisations of real patriots, all this crap won't happen. There will be street wars everytime some stupid union wants to blackmail the Nigerian government and the Nigerian nation. But alas, the public generally think unions are always right. Who on earth would tell me the people I employ would now determine how I organise my company or whether I sack this or that person OR EVERYBODY AT ONCE. Nigeria should continue to count herself lucky that I have not been allowed to come on the national stage; una for don hear something. After the unions began to destroy Britain in the 70s, Margaret Thatcher stood up to their bully and the British people supported her and fought the unions. That saved Britain and they're better for it as no one hears of the union lords anymore who had turned to what Adams Oshiomole had turned to: a god. I hope you see where Oshio baba is now - enjoying his life in govt house with a small girl that should be my own girlfriend, all because of union self-serving activities. O God I hate this country (i.e. Nigerians)
Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by ndcide(m): 11:04am On Mar 11, 2016
MadCow1:
Buhari should find a way to scrap NUPENG, PENGASSAN, Tanker Drivers Union and the NLC.

These groups have grown into monsters that only lookout for their selfish interests and no the General good.

was there fuel before the strike?

aren't they stakeholders who should have been part of whatever restructuring that's to be done?

Do you even know why their's fuel shortage.

I know you are smarter than this. just be reasonable a bit more. stop this sentiments.
Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by ogene007: 11:17am On Mar 11, 2016
blackprowler:

It is you who really needs to know. You're secure in your Nigerian-level understanding of life. It is the NIGERIAN PEOPLE I blame: the failed Nigerian people brought up to pursue only narrow self-interest. If we had associations and organisations of real patriots, all this crap won't happen. There will be street wars everytime some stupid union wants to blackmail the Nigerian government and the Nigerian nation. But alas, the public generally think unions are always right. Who on earth would tell me the people I employ would now determine how I organise my company or whether I sack this or that person OR EVERYBODY AT ONCE. Nigeria should continue to count herself lucky that I have not been allowed to come on the national stage; una for don hear something. After the unions began to destroy Britain in the 70s, Margaret Thatcher stood up to their bully and the British people supported her and fought the unions. That saved Britain and they're better for it as no one hears of the union lords anymore who had turned to what Adams Oshiomole had turned to: a god. I hope you see where Oshio baba is now - enjoying his life in govt house with a small girl that should be my own girlfriend, all because of union self-serving activities. O God I hate this country (i.e. Nigerians)
You are quick to use Britain as a reference but you fail to admit that if Nigeria as a country adopted the same labour laws being used in Britain, then most of the agitations by the various unions in nigeria would be non-existent. Our is a country where the political class see themselves as overlords, overseeing over a conquered territory with the right to pillage the commonwealth without recourse to how the citizens feel about it. Eliminate unionism in Nigeria (if that were even possible), then you will have nothing other than unimaginable chaos and eventual breakdown of the entire system. Every society that will survive must be built on the principle of distribution of political, economic and social power across various independent institutions. This will ensure that there are checks and balances for the overall good of the society. The unions are an integral part of any society that wants to move forward because of the fallibility of the political class. No society rest all its hope on the political class. The unions, media, religious organizations are very important partners in the project of building a good society.

Going back to the NNPC issue, the interest of nigerians would be better served when all the necessary stakeholders in the oil and gas sector are carried along in whatever restructuring that FG decides to undertake, else the mistakes that led to the collapse of NITEL will happen again. We must learn from history.
Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by ukandi1(m): 11:25am On Mar 11, 2016
MadCow1:

Exactly . I agree with ur suggestion as well concerning the scrapping of those unions.
As for d question, do let us know when u have found d answer
Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by MadCow1: 11:42am On Mar 11, 2016
ndcide:

was there fuel before the strike?

aren't they stakeholders who should have been part of whatever restructuring that's to be done?

Do you even know why their's fuel shortage.

I know you are smarter than this. just be reasonable a bit more. stop this sentiments.

Where in that post did I attribute my reason for calling for the scrapping of Unions to fuel scarcity?

I will ignore your last line and consider it an accidental discharge.. grin
Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by ndcide(m): 12:36pm On Mar 11, 2016
MadCow1:

Where in that post did I attribute my reason for calling for the scrapping of Unions to fuel scarcity?

I will ignore your last line and consider it an accidental discharge.. grin

Bros, it was an accidental discharge. grin I greet.
Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by blackprowler: 1:20pm On Mar 11, 2016
ogene007:

You are quick to use Britain as a reference but you fail to admit that if Nigeria as a country adopted the same labour laws being used in Britain, then most of the agitations by the various unions in nigeria would be non-existent. Our is a country where the political class see themselves as overlords, overseeing over a conquered territory with the right to pillage the commonwealth without recourse to how the citizens feel about it. Eliminate unionism in Nigeria (if that were even possible), then you will have nothing other than unimaginable chaos and eventual breakdown of the entire system. Every society that will survive must be built on the principle of distribution of political, economic and social power across various independent institutions. This will ensure that there are checks and balances for the overall good of the society. The unions are an integral part of any society that wants to move forward because of the fallibility of the political class. No society rest all its hope on the political class. The unions, media, religious organizations are very important partners in the project of building a good society.

Going back to the NNPC issue, the interest of nigerians would be better served when all the necessary stakeholders in the oil and gas sector are carried along in whatever restructuring that FG decides to undertake, else the mistakes that led to the collapse of NITEL will happen again. We must learn from history.

Sorry but all I see in your writeup is one who has memorised all terms in popular use and regurgitated them back to me. I prefer original thinkers, and I also like logic and reason.
1. You think in terms of "political class" and other such terms. There's nothing like that. It is popular terminology here. So what class is Oshio baba who claims to be fighting for workers and all of Nigeria. What "class" is he?
2. Unionism is not by force the way you seem to think. It's just like any other group formed to protect their interest. You talk of checking power of "political" class. My friend, that's the issue I'm also raising with the union bosses: they also have unchecked power that they abuse. That's the whole point of my argument. Our problem is in our minds, not this "class" or that "class". We are avaricious, self-absorbed people.
3. The world was doing very well before unions came to be and by today's standard of union demands, it is highly improbable that the Industrial Revolution would have succeeded. Modernity was built on the backs of extremely hardworking men and kids with little protections.
4. Lastly, nothing proves how poles apart we are than your claim of what institutions work together to advance society. Let me just say the "religious" you added is the institution that holds society back, so there you go. The world only began to make rapid progress by pushing back on religion in people's daily lives. Abeg Jo, nobody pays or acknowledges me for all my story. Sick country indeed. Pic: workers in their sleeping "pens" in Europe in the 19th century. Go figure!

Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by SoEndowed(m): 2:18pm On Mar 11, 2016
MadCow1:

Very well said. Nothing more to add
Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by caphone: 2:36pm On Mar 11, 2016
Abeg park well. There has been a lot of long queues even before they thot of embarking on their ineffective strike. I think these useless associations needs to be scrapped as soon as possible cuuz I don't know what their contribution to the economic dev or to the dev of a common man. They only care for themselves
Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by ogene007: 4:29pm On Mar 11, 2016
blackprowler:

Sorry but all I see in your writeup is one who has memorised all terms in popular use and regurgitated them back to me. I prefer original thinkers, and I also like logic and reason.
1. You think in terms of "political class" and other such terms. There's nothing like that. It is popular terminology here. So what class is Oshio baba who claims to be fighting for workers and all of Nigeria. What "class" is he?
2. Unionism is not by force the way you seem to think. It's just like any other group formed to protect their interest. You talk of checking power of "political" class. My friend, that's the issue I'm also raising with the union bosses: they also have unchecked power that they abuse. That's the whole point of my argument. Our problem is in our minds, not this "class" or that "class". We are avaricious, self-absorbed people.
3. The world was doing very well before unions came to be and by today's standard of union demands, it is highly improbable that the Industrial Revolution would have succeeded. Modernity was built on the backs of extremely hardworking men and kids with little protections.
4. Lastly, nothing proves how poles apart we are than your claim of what institutions work together to advance society. Let me just say the "religious" you added is the institution that holds society back, so there you go. The world only began to make rapid progress by pushing back on religion in people's daily lives. Abeg Jo, nobody pays or acknowledges me for all my story. Sick country indeed. Pic: workers in their sleeping "pens" in Europe in the 19th century. Go figure!
Without paying attention to your insults which are borne out of sheer ignorance, let me state clearly that there is no society that has not classified people based on their level of influence and contribution/lack-off to society. In addition, a society that wants to advance without God is ultimately doomed. God is a God of balance and that is why the earth is a typical example of that balance despite man's attempt to disrupt it. Unionism remains an essential component needed in maintaining a balanced society. A lot of political parties all over the world have evolved from trade unionism, I need not start mentioning examples. Africa as a continent and Nigeria as a country in particular, will do well to learn from the mistakes of Europe, who in their attainment of economic power, improved living conditions, good infrastructure etc, due to the industrial revolution, relegated God to the background. What is the result? Their society is sick with all manners of perversion, some too disgusting to even think about. Suicides, witchcraft, sexual perversion etc have become an integral part of the so-called 'pop' culture. African and Nigerian problems would be solved with homegrown solutions plus any other desirable foreign component. A fledgling democracy like ours needs vibrant and organised trade unions. Anybody advocating for the demise of trade unionism in Nigeria and Africa in general, obviously is an advocate of an authoritarian society. You have always been quick to use the UK as a reference as to why we do not need vibrant trade unionism in Nigeria. The British democracy didn't just fly out from the blues, rather, it's evolution to what those of you are quick to "mouth" about today, was largely due to the impact of trade unionism. You can avail yourself with some needed education by visiting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Labour_Party_(UK).
People like you who know little or nothing about an issue are quick to go online to insult people and who you know little or nothing about. Trade unionism remains an integral component of any free society, and to advocate otherwise is a recipe for anarchy.
Re: NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike by ogene007: 4:30pm On Mar 11, 2016
blackprowler:

Without paying attention to your insults which are borne out of sheer ignorance, let me state clearly that there is no society that has not classified people based on their level of influence and contribution/lack-off to society. In addition, a society that wants to advance without God is ultimately doomed. God is a God of balance and that is why the earth is a typical example of that balance despite man's attempt to disrupt it. Unionism remains an essential component needed in maintaining a balanced society. A lot of political parties all over the world have evolved from trade unionism, I need not start mentioning examples. Africa as a continent and Nigeria as a country in particular, will do well to learn from the mistakes of Europe, who in their attainment of economic power, improved living conditions, good infrastructure etc, due to the industrial revolution, relegated God to the background. What is the result? Their society is sick with all manners of perversion, some too disgusting to even think about. Suicides, witchcraft, sexual perversion etc have become an integral part of the so-called 'pop' culture. African and Nigerian problems would be solved with homegrown solutions plus any other desirable foreign component. A fledgling democracy like ours needs vibrant and organised trade unions. Anybody advocating for the demise of trade unionism in Nigeria and Africa in general, obviously is an advocate of an authoritarian society. You have always been quick to use the UK as a reference as to why we do not need vibrant trade unionism in Nigeria. The British democracy didn't just fly out from the blues, rather, it's evolution to what those of you are quick to "mouth" about today, was largely due to the impact of trade unionism. You can avail yourself with some needed education by visiting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Labour_Party_(UK).
People like you who know little or nothing about an issue are quick to go online to insult people who you know little or nothing about. Trade unionism remains an integral component of any free society, and to advocate otherwise is a recipe for anarchy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

China-Africa Summit: Obiano Meets With Investors And Ndi Anambra In China / Look At What APC Have Turned Nigeria To (photo) / FG To Train Niger Delta Ex-Militants With Business Ideas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.