Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,242 members, 7,818,827 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:07 AM

U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening (186710 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (36) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by indianeagle(m): 1:03pm On Jun 08, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello floriane. You would need to contact customer service regarding technical questions about your online profile. Test requirements are specific to the school and don't impact the visa process. In general, better schools tend to require test scores before admission. We don't discuss chances on this forum.

abujaniv:
Hello, Nairaland!

Our other visa thread, U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening, has been a success in dispelling some of the myths associated with the visa process. We have enjoyed answering all of your pertinent questions and as we get ready for the upcoming summer cycle that sees a huge increase in student visas, we wanted to create a new forum [b]JUST [/b]for applicants with questions about student visas (F1, M1, & J1).

We are U.S. Foreign Service Officers working in Abuja and Lagos and we are looking forward to answering your student related questions. Please note that we do not comment on specific cases, we do not offer advice, and we will not answer abusive or insulting posts.

While we will attempt to explain U.S. immigration policies on student visas and provide overall visa application guidance, any opinions expressed are the personal views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Government.

There is a separate Immigrant and Diversity Visa thread at https://www.nairaland.com/1792591/u.s-immigration-questions-ask-u.s., also handled by a U.S. Foreign Service Officers in Nigeria, so please use this thread only for questions about student visas. If you have general non-immigrant visa questions, please visit the other thread here, https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by indianeagle(m): 1:05pm On Jun 08, 2017
[quote author=indianeagle post=57314965][/quote]

Thank you for such an information which is useful for every student. Please Keep on giving the updates daily.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by bosstos: 1:16pm On Jun 08, 2017
Hello,
please i need guidance, i currently hold a b1/b2 visa which is to expire October but in the meantime i'm pursuing admission for PG studies to
resume January. My question is
1. can i go for interview as soon as possible e.g sept (that's a month before my current visa expires)?
2. if my current visa expires does it in anyway affect my chances?

thank you
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:40pm On Jun 08, 2017
Hello bosstos. You may hold two different visas at the same time. So you may renew the B1/B2 visa and also apply for the F1, which will be necessary should you choose to study in the US.

bosstos:
Hello,
please i need guidance, i currently hold a b1/b2 visa which is to expire October but in the meantime i'm pursuing admission for PG studies to
resume January. My question is
1. can i go for interview as soon as possible e.g sept (that's a month before my current visa expires)?
2. if my current visa expires does it in anyway affect my chances?

thank you
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by bosstos: 1:58pm On Jun 08, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello bosstos. You may hold two different visas at the same time. So you may renew the B1/B2 visa and also apply for the F1, which will be necessary should you choose to study in the US.

Thank you, but can i renew early enough before the expiration date? how long does it take to renew?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 3:14pm On Jun 08, 2017
You can renew whenever you like. If the visa is still valid or expired within the past 12 months, you are likely eligible for the interview waiver program (dropbox). Renewals take about three business days from the time the passport gets to the Embassy/Consulate. If you choose to apply for an F1, you will have to appear for an interview.

bosstos:

Thank you, but can i renew early enough before the expiration date? how long does it take to renew?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by floraine: 8:39pm On Jun 08, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello floriane. You would need to contact customer service regarding technical questions about your online profile. Test requirements are specific to the school and don't impact the visa process. In general, better schools tend to require test scores before admission. We don't discuss chances on this forum.

Thank you for your response...
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by amah1905: 3:07pm On Jun 09, 2017
I am about to apply for F1 visa for myself and F2 for my child. Last year, i executed a change of surname for my child - she bore my surname from birth but now bears her father’s (we are co-parents...not married). She had a B1/B2 visa before the name change, but her birth certificate and international passport have now been re-issued in the new name. What additional documents should i take along with respect to the change of name?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Dominic147(m): 5:58am On Jun 10, 2017
Good morning VO I had my visa interview on wednesday 7 june 2017 and my visa was approved by the VO that interviewed me but he held on to my sponsor's statement of account and my undergraduate degree transcript. I tracked my passport this morning and its still at the embassy. How long will it take for my passport to get the pickup/delivery point.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 9:57am On Jun 10, 2017
Hello amah1905. You may need to provide a court document showing the official name change in order to establish the change in identity. The name in the visa will have to match what is in the passport.

amah1905:
I am about to apply for F1 visa for myself and F2 for my child. Last year, i executed a change of surname for my child - she bore my surname from birth but now bears her father’s (we are co-parents...not married). She had a B1/B2 visa before the name change, but her birth certificate and international passport have now been re-issued in the new name. What additional documents should i take along with respect to the change of name?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by man105(m): 5:58pm On Jun 10, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello man105. Stay where? Your question is unclear. You may apply again whenever you like, though if nothing material has changed, the result is likely to be the same.

ok..thanks,nothing material like? give an instance please. would be appreciated.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by superheavy: 8:43pm On Jun 10, 2017
hello VO,

I was given a white paper to pick up my visa after three business days and on tracking it on ceas.state.gov I see "administrative processing"...my research on that term shows it may take a long time. What do I do? Internship starts in about three weeks from nowsad
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 3:52pm On Jun 12, 2017
Hello superheavy. After approval, the typical turnaround is about 2-3 working days. That said, sometimes more administrative processing is needed. This is why we recommend that people apply well in advance of their planned travel.

superheavy:
hello VO,

I was given a white paper to pick up my visa after three business days and on tracking it on ceas.state.gov I see "administrative processing"...my research on that term shows it may take a long time. What do I do? Internship starts in about three weeks from nowsad
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by adewotired: 8:13pm On Jun 12, 2017
Hello VO. My visa got approved last week Thursday. Would I be notified when it is ready for pickup?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Chibaby98(f): 6:20pm On Jun 14, 2017
please if the email address on my sevis fee payment confirmation receipt is different from that on my DS-160 , will it be questionable on the day of my visa interview?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 9:45pm On Jun 14, 2017
Hello Chibaby98. This is not likely to be an issue.

Chibaby98:
please if the email address on my sevis fee payment confirmation receipt is different from that on my DS-160 , will it be questionable on the day of my visa interview?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by alexdell1234: 1:51pm On Jun 15, 2017
Hello good afternoon,

I av an existing b1/b2 can i apply for F1 and my wife B1/B2 at the same time. She only plan to come visit me at intervals before the end of my course.

Regards.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 8:07am On Jun 16, 2017
Hello alexdell1234. Yes, you may have two different visas at the same time, and your wife may apply for the B1/B2.

alexdell1234:
Hello good afternoon,

I av an existing b1/b2 can i apply for F1 and my wife B1/B2 at the same time. She only plan to come visit me at intervals before the end of my course.

Regards.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Ejaloni123: 8:54am On Jun 16, 2017
Good morning peeps, I am a newbiz on this forum and would like to ask few questions. A very good friend of mine was denied study visa to the US on no grounds. The visa officer did not even mention to him why his application was refused. The only question he was asked was that, do you have a wife? Will you be going with your children? Which year did you complete high school? he first said 2007 and quickly said 2011, due to the educational system that exist in his country (Ghana) made up of Junior high school (JHS) and Senior high school (SHS). He completed the JHS in 2007 and SHS in 2011, this created the confusion. Though he had certificate to justify but they did not ask. Guys what might be the reason for the denial and how can he tackle that in the next application.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 9:26am On Jun 16, 2017
Hello Ejaloni123. Tell your friend to come onto this forum and ask his own questions.

Ejaloni123:
Good morning peeps, I am a newbiz on this forum and would like to ask few questions. A very good friend of mine was denied study visa to the US on no grounds. The visa officer did not even mention to him why his application was refused. The only question he was asked was that, do you have a wife? Will you be going with your children? Which year did you complete high school? he first said 2007 and quickly said 2011, due to the educational system that exist in his country (Ghana) made up of Junior high school (JHS) and Senior high school (SHS). He completed the JHS in 2007 and SHS in 2011, this created the confusion. Though he had certificate to justify but they did not ask. Guys what might be the reason for the denial and how can he tackle that in the next application.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by ioppong: 9:45am On Jun 16, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello Ejaloni123. Tell your friend to come onto this forum and ask his own questions.

Hello guys, I am the one in question, I school in Rwanda and I made my application here since I have a valid student permit. Do you have any insight into how I can get the reasons for denial?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by ioppong: 9:46am On Jun 16, 2017
ioppong:

Hello guys, I am the one in question, I school in Rwanda and I made my application here since I have a valid student permit. Do you have any insight into how I can get the reasons for denial?
Please make reference to @ejaloni123's post
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 10:19am On Jun 16, 2017
Hello ioppong. Prospective students must overcome the presumption of immigrant intent, the same as any tourist applicant. Furthermore, they must demonstrate that they are bonafide students able to pay for their education in the US. If you are a student in Rwanda, it begs the question why you are applying for a program in the US when your current studies are not yet completed.

ioppong:

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Joshnerl: 8:34am On Jun 18, 2017
was denied a us f1 visa on the 14th of June . The officer asked me what have been doing since I graduated from secondary school in 2013. I was so nervous so I just said I have been working from home since then . Which isn't true.. now I have applied again. I know I will be asked to defend my previous answer as I don't know how to convince the officer that I was tensed. Cause I have been applying to school in nigeria buh no admission... wah do I say please help
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 11:36am On Jun 18, 2017
Hello Joshnerl. You have dug yourself a hole by being untruthful at the interview. If you failed to gain entry to a Nigerian school, it's not going to get any easier for you in the US.

Joshnerl:
was denied a us f1 visa on the 14th of June . The officer asked me what have been doing since I graduated from secondary school in 2013. I was so nervous so I just said I have been working from home since then . Which isn't true.. now I have applied again. I know I will be asked to defend my previous answer as I don't know how to convince the officer that I was tensed. Cause I have been applying to school in nigeria buh no admission... wah do I say please help

1 Like

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Chibaby98(f): 3:59pm On Jun 19, 2017
Good day VO,

Please I'd appreciate it if you could weigh in on this:

I received an initial I-20 from my school in April. However, I was notified that I've been awarded a scholarship last week. Now, my interview is scheduled for this Thursday, and my school notified me that my updated I-20 and the scholarship letter might not arrive in time for my interview.

Can I appear for my interview with the initial I-20 and a printed copy of the scholarship letter which was emailed to me as evidence that I've actually been awarded the scholarship?

Kind Regards
Chibaby98
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 2:32pm On Jun 20, 2017
Hello Chibaby98. You may proceed to the interview with your old I-20 and can then tell the visa officer about the scholarship. The officer may be able to confirm the scholarship award via the electronic form of the I-20.

Chibaby98:
Good day VO,

Please I'd appreciate it if you could weigh in on this:

I received an initial I-20 from my school in April. However, I was notified that I've been awarded a scholarship last week. Now, my interview is scheduled for this Thursday, and my school notified me that my updated I-20 and the scholarship letter might not arrive in time for my interview.

Can I appear for my interview with the initial I-20 and a printed copy of the scholarship letter which was emailed to me as evidence that I've actually been awarded the scholarship?

Kind Regards
Chibaby98
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Chibaby98(f): 3:18pm On Jun 20, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello Chibaby98. You may proceed to the interview with your old I-20 and can then tell the visa officer about the scholarship. The officer may be able to confirm the scholarship award via the electronic form of the I-20.

Thanks for your response.

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (36)

Dv Lottery 2012 Winner Meet Here / Adventure In Ireland / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.