Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,129 members, 7,821,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch (40882 Views)

President Buhari Did Not Order Us To Clear Salary Arrears - Governors / Buhari Did Not Lie About My Father - Ojukwu's Son / Owie: If My Wife Does What Aisha Buhari Did She'll Return To Her Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by kechywillz(m): 11:12pm On Mar 22, 2016
This guy atleast should get much needed attention,from his state of origin or state of residence. Forget about buhari,he doesnt give a shhhit abt academic excellence. Am always vexed when that Olajumoke ish pops up all d time,here,a rare gem like this is overlooked,am not happy to be a nigerian,coz i know if it is in western countries,something positive could have been done abt this extraodinary performance,i wish to be like dis guy and not like that over-hyped bread seller. angry

1 Like

Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by dumodust(m): 11:12pm On Mar 22, 2016
Jung:

Nitwit.........Recieve brain IJN

Junkie... receive grey mater
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by jidxin(m): 11:13pm On Mar 22, 2016
dumodust:
But truth be told, I dont understand this first class guy... cant he go and get a job or something ASAP with his degree. Why is he strutting around like he's supposed to be given money, our commonwealth or honours? Comparing yourself to other hustlers without first class is lame
life is a constant hustle dude, e never end... stop being lazy and hustle more, life is never fair but you are currently technically begging for alms... just like the other day you started telling us that you can't pay your rent... seriously?

candid opinion
chai I ddnt wanna comment b4 bt ur comment prompt me to.. U know u re an uneducated buffoon... he has to to 4 service b4 anything else

1 Like

Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by mightyhazel: 11:23pm On Mar 22, 2016
Bhella5:
Haha...E pain am gaan
yea,u right am pained,...

A direct result of ur acute brainlessness! Imagine a discussion borderin on academic xcellence(a term I doubt if ur familiar wit)and,...wham!!! Ur all over d place wit ur stupid bigotry.
Naturally,reasonable guyz like my very self will feel pain.
Next time,pls make use of woteva mentation left in u positively,esp on discussions on academics n oda rewardin human endeavors. Gnyt

5 Likes

Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by DonBenny77(m): 11:26pm On Mar 22, 2016
u expect a president without a university degree to value a first class graduate..... wat an irony dat wud b.......... wetin dat one sabi?

1 Like

Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Drdonzeez(m): 11:31pm On Mar 22, 2016
JennyNwa22:
By Azuka Onwuka

A big opportunity came to President Muhammadu Buhari to shine some weeks ago but he let it waste. A graduate of the University of Lagos, Mr Ayodele Daniel Dada, made history by being the first graduate of the university to make the maximum cumulative grade point average (CPGA) of 5.00 point out of 5.00. Even though it was not said that he was the first graduate from any Nigerian university to make such a result, I have never heard that a graduate made such a result in any other Nigerian university.

What it meant was that Dada made an A in all the courses he took. That includes courses from other departments and faculties, which were not related to his course of study. For example, imagine an arts student who hates computations and scientific theories being made to take a subject in the natural sciences as well as computer. Many of such people would just pray to get the minimum score in those non-related but compulsory courses. Their dream will be to just pass those courses so as to be free to focus on the directly related courses that made them come to the university in the first place.

In the case of Dada, he made an A in all these courses right from his first year to his final. If he had made anything less than an A in any of his university courses, it would have dented his CGPA and he would not have made a 5.00. Reports from UNILAG indicate that when the university authorities heard of the unbelievable result, they called for his papers. After a thorough scrutiny, they found out that Dada deservedly got an A in all his courses. The CGPA was subsequently awarded to him.

However, he did not get the same opportunity in 2011 when he sat for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination. The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board seized his result that year “for cheating”. JAMB must have been too shocked with his result that it believed that there was no way Dada could have made such a score except by cheating. Sadly, JAMB has not come up with any mechanism to identify exceptionally brilliant candidates. Dada eventually decided to take the option of doing a diploma programme at the University of Lagos. That disappointment of having his result seized for being too brilliant could have dampened the spirit of some people and made them derail. But happily, Dada persevered in spite of his unenviable family financial status.

The announcement of Dada’s university result on February 25 was therefore a heaven-sent opportunity for Buhari to shore up his rating among the people. It was the type of opportunity many presidents would pray for but never get. The reason is simple. This is not something that happens regularly. It can never even be predicted. Having a first class is a regular occurrence in universities. Each university graduates many first class students every year. But having a graduate with 5.00 CGPA out of 5.00 is a rarity. It is said that perfection is not possible among humans, but this is something akin to perfection. So, anybody who has achieved this feat is nothing but a genius.

Why did President Buhari not celebrate this exceptional student? Was it because he did not know about it? Was it because it did not carry much weight with him? Did his media aides like Mr Femi Adesina and Mr Garba Shehu not know about it? Did the ministers of education not hear about it? What about the minister of youths and sports? Did they hear about it and briefed the President on the need to tap into and celebrate the achiever but were ignored by the President?

At a time entertainment (like music, acting, comedy, dancing, etc) is taking the attention of many youths away from education and academic excellence, celebrating the academic feat of Dada would have done a lot for education in Nigeria. Immediately the news broke, the President should have sent a letter of congratulation to Dada and then invited him to Aso Rock for a handshake. At such a meeting, the President should have used that opportunity to stress his administration’s commitment to excellence in all human endeavours, especially in academic pursuit. He should have used that opportunity to inform the nation of his belief that the youths are the hope of the nation and should be supported and encouraged to excel. Then, he should have given the young man a scholarship and whatever other incentives he could.

It was also surprising that neither the governor of his state of origin (Ekiti State) nor state of residence (Lagos) keyed into the excellent performance of Dada. It was as if it was nothing special.

Similarly, except for the few comments within the two days of the breaking of the story, most Nigerians did not see the news item as something of great importance to talk about. Compare that to last month’s story of the transformation of Mrs Jumoke Orisaguna from a bread hawker to a model. Almost every person made a comment about her in the social media and private discussions for weeks. Even columnists wrote about her. Companies and brands fell over themselves to make donations to her and her children as well as make her advertise their brands. Pastors used her to preach and pray in churches.

It says a lot about our focus and values as a nation. Even though most Nigerians want the nation to become a superpower and a super economy, the government and citizens don’t celebrate academic excellence. How can a country become one of the leading countries of the world if excellence – especially academic excellence – is not celebrated? It is for the same reason that teachers, lecturers and researchers are poorly remunerated, while creative minds and their creations are ignored. It is for the same reason that winners of entertainment contests get prizes that run into millions of naira, while winners of academic and scholarly contests get rewarded with plaques. But then one may not blame corporate organisations because they are not charities. They need to support programmes that will give them visibility and patronage. But that the government joins in not giving priority to academic excellence is not excusable.

Entertainment is good and needs to be promoted. But a country does not grow by giving all attention to entertainment to the detriment of educational excellence and scientific breakthroughs.

It may not be easy for a government to turn the economy around within a year. It may not be easy for the government to defeat the Boko Haram as promised. It may not be easy to solve the electricity supply problem within a year. But there are quick wins that a government can achieve. There are also opportunities that a government can exploit immediately they present themselves. These opportunities will always present themselves in the life of every administration. Whatever an administration makes of such opportunities depends on that administration. Sometimes even a bad situation can be quickly turned around by a government that thinks on its feet.

The tempo may have died down on the issue of Dada, but it is not too late for the government to celebrate him. It is said that it is better late than never. When excellence is rewarded and celebrated by the government, people are encouraged to seek excellence. As David W. Johnson said: “There are no speed limits on the road to excellence.”

http://www.punchng.com/the-injustice-buhari-did-to-the-genius-of-unilag/
Dr.Alofahi of uniben made 5.0 in mathematics.
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Drdonzeez(m): 11:39pm On Mar 22, 2016
DonBenny77:
u expect a president without a university degree to value a first class graduate..... wat an irony dat wud b.......... wetin dat one sabi?
And you a professor,What has become of you?
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Jung(m): 11:51pm On Mar 22, 2016
dumodust:

Junkie... receive grey mater

Dusty brain...Recieve mop to clean ur playhead....ode-oshi

1 Like

Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by mercyville: 11:58pm On Mar 22, 2016
redcliff:

The only sensible post on this thread. It seems Nigerians such as the Azuka guy dont think anymore. I dont know why people think that the government always owes them something just for being outstanding. Its your personal achievement. FLY with it and break more boundaries. There are lots of geniuses in other fields, if everybody begins to raise voices just to be recognized by the government, then there is something else wrong with them...I dont envy that guy one bit because I think he is only book smart and not spontaneously intelligent. The latter is what the world wants to see!
Choi...you are more than olodo.
choi choi choi.

1 Like

Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by ojezee(m): 12:00am On Mar 23, 2016
this is not the first time academic excellence would be ignored in Nigeria ,the only difference is this guy made it to the level of the internet media, I have a friend who graduated as the best graduating student of a school,and several prices where declared for her publicly,whereas she didn't get anything at the end of the day thanks to corrupt officers in charge of the convocation.though it was a poly.
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by prettyboi1(m): 12:05am On Mar 23, 2016
Goddex:
[size=14pt]Reasons are:

1) The guy is not Fulani nor a Muslim. Buhari is an ethno-religious.

2) Buhari is an illiterate and does not know what CGPA means

Shame on Nigeria
[/size]
Learn to speak and write English properly before you call another person 'illiterate'. See grammar.

3 Likes

Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by gunpoint(m): 12:06am On Mar 23, 2016
JennyNwa22:
Not surprised, he is a school cert failure so he doesn't know what it takes to be a graduate not to talk of making a first class.

One of the numerous reasons I will always continue to miss GEJ
Whats your location?
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by redcliff: 12:12am On Mar 23, 2016
mercyville:
Choi...you are more than olodo.
choi choi choi.

Tell that to you blood lineage
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by ClintonDal(m): 12:12am On Mar 23, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
By Azuka Onwuka and not Punch Newspapers!

Illiterates everywhere..
This your statement is a clear evidence that we aren't ready to move forward as one nation. This is why the so called elder statesmen will never relinquish power to the youths. For Gods sake APC is no longer in the opposition. We are talking about how Buhari would tap into this opportunity and you're trying to ridicule the writer. I pray that our mentality as Nigerians change, and very soon.

2 Likes

Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by walegee(m): 12:20am On Mar 23, 2016
It's funny sha. I believe he didn't become the best student for him to be specially recognized by the President . we need to check our thinking.
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Nobody: 12:21am On Mar 23, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:
Prof. Anthony Olusegun Adegbulugbe made a 5.0 in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, OAU, Ile-Ife in 1976 before proceeding to MIT.
Are u serious? Elect/ elect engineering, he made a's in all circuit theory? Wow. I Neva wud have imaging someone graduating with 5 point cgpa in engineering.
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by walegee(m): 12:24am On Mar 23, 2016
[quote author=ClintonDal post=44021356]This your statement is a clear evidence that we aren't ready to move forward as one nation. This is why the so called elder statesmen will never relinquish power to the youths. For Gods sake APC is no longer in the opposition. We are talking about how Buhari would tap into this opportunity and you're trying to ridicule the writer. I pray that our mentality as Nigerians change, and very soon. [sir handing power to the youth the problem we facing ]
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by mrwiddy(m): 12:44am On Mar 23, 2016
baralatie:
Did not catch his attention cause it is not the reverted course - med,ACCTS,law
but why are these courses overhyped by nigerians as if other courses are irrelevants......#maybe its about tym we stop hero worshipping doctors
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Chommieblaq(f): 12:44am On Mar 23, 2016
dumodust:

You don't understand my point too, I'm not against him being recognised but we have been on this recognition for over a month, even the bread seller they used as a yardstick for comparison has moved on... he seems to be hanging around for hand outs, his body language and projection seems to say so... for him to succeed, he must understand that this is just the beginning, he should push applications, apply for good jobs... if he had done that and put it in the media, I wont be annoyed... but what did they do? He's now a mascot used to score political and other points... I hope he gets it and moves on quickly before the hype is gone... people have short memories, especially important people
OK I get ur point now, tanx for the clarification.
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by baum1: 12:51am On Mar 23, 2016
tinsel:
Your wife cook bad food, it is Buhari, your son failed exam it is buhari. It is becoming annoying. This is not the first time people are getting first class in Nigeria.
My cousin got first class 3 years ago and uptill today he is still looking for a job.
My son's physics lesson teacher has first class since 2 and half years ago and uptill today he has no job.
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by wakamotion: 12:52am On Mar 23, 2016
glorified cow as president

1 Like

Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by JennyNwa22(f): 1:13am On Mar 23, 2016
Drdonzeez:
And you a professor,What has become of you?

At least he reasons well like a human being unlike you and ur illiterate dullard

1 Like

Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Jdesilentkiller(m): 1:15am On Mar 23, 2016
Its so pathetic that we drag politics in every discuss. Its true he made 5.0 in psychology........I mean Psychology. Lets assume the president would like to honour him....what's his achievement apart from 5.0, what impact will he make with just a certificate but no experiance....is he the first? Will he be the last? At time like this we need ideas, innovation, achievement and expertise not just grade.
Dada turn your grade into something that will benefit humanity immensely with far-reaching effect then the Nigerian people (not Pres. Buhari) will honour you..my last point, not every iddiot will just ask for recognition from the President.....its dumb and self-seeking.
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Nobody: 1:35am On Mar 23, 2016
someone stole my generator yesterday. Blue Tiger (Original Japan). Buhari must jump into action grin grin grin grin
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by nijanigga: 1:35am On Mar 23, 2016
Read my comment regarding that IMSU best graduating student.
"All these Nija boys are not commenting because they saw hard work through academic success is not very rewarding.Kudos tot he lad more grease to your elbows."
With youths fighting toot and nail for easy money anyhow, Nigeria is FINISHED.
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Nobody: 1:46am On Mar 23, 2016
redcliff:

The only sensible post on this thread. It seems Nigerians such as the Azuka guy dont think anymore. I dont know why people think that the government always owes them something just for being outstanding. Its your personal achievement. FLY with it and break more boundaries. There are lots of geniuses in other fields, if everybody begins to raise voices just to be recognized by the government, then there is something else wrong with them...I dont envy that guy one bit because I think he is only book smart and not spontaneously intelligent. The latter is what the world wants to see!
How the hell are you sure he is not spontaneously intelligent? Stop the unnecessary hate. Such feat should be celebrated.
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Nobody: 1:48am On Mar 23, 2016
Jdesilentkiller:
Its so pathetic that we drag politics in every discuss. Its true he made 5.0 in psychology........I mean Psychology. Lets assume the president would like to honour him....what's his achievement apart from 5.0, what impact will he make with just a certificate but no experiance....is he the first? Will he be the last? At time like this we need ideas, innovation, achievement and expertise not just grade.
Dada turn your grade into something that will benefit humanity immensely with far-reaching effect then the Nigerian people (not Pres. Buhari) will honour you..my last point, not every iddiot will just ask for recognition from the President.....its dumb and self-seeking.
A feat that looks almost like a mirage to lots? A's for 4 years? You need to sink your head in shame. Anuofia!
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Nobody: 1:50am On Mar 23, 2016
charliboy654:

Are u serious? Elect/ elect engineering, he made a's in all circuit theory? Wow. I Neva wud have imaging someone graduating with 5 point cgpa in engineering.
He made when no hatred or competition exist.

1 Like

Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Nobody: 1:53am On Mar 23, 2016
kechywillz:
This guy atleast should get much needed attention,from his state of origin or state of residence. Forget about buhari,he doesnt give a shhhit abt academic excellence. Am always vexed when that Olajumoke ish pops up all d time,here,a rare gem like this is overlooked,am not happy to be a nigerian,coz i know if it is in western countries,something positive could have been done abt this extraodinary performance,i wish to be like dis guy and not like that over-hyped bread seller. angry
Clearly shows we celebrate beauty over brains. You'll hardly see any Chinese girl that can't compete with their male counterpart in terms of knowledge and strength.

Yeye dey smell.
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by noblegrex: 2:28am On Mar 23, 2016
JennyNwa22:
Not surprised, he is a school cert failure so he doesn't know what it takes to be a graduate not to talk of making a first class.

One of the numerous reasons I will always continue to miss GEJ
eyahh.sorry oo. And the so called school cert failure is your. PRESIDENT.how come, haaa its so unfortunate + if you missed jeg. You know where to find him and you can as well cry and upload it on u tube to show how much you're wetting for him just as a lady did for p square. Eran

1 Like

Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by noblegrex: 2:37am On Mar 23, 2016
Coolgent:
Stupidity from ipob writer
accepted by foolish i-pOB youths everywhere. Pain,pain,pain everywhere. You can see their wailling. Eayaa. No be small thing oo.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Election Postponement: Charity Ngilu, Kenyan Governor Stranded, Laments Online / 2019: Ayodele Fayose Reaches Out To Labour Party For Presidential Ticket / Onyeama Knocks South African Minister Who Described Nigerians As Drug Dealers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.