Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,101 members, 7,821,802 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch (40881 Views)

President Buhari Did Not Order Us To Clear Salary Arrears - Governors / Buhari Did Not Lie About My Father - Ojukwu's Son / Owie: If My Wife Does What Aisha Buhari Did She'll Return To Her Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by tinsel: 7:19am On Mar 23, 2016
sagaciousblog:
mind yourself bro..Did Dada achieve what has not been acvhieved before?? How many houses were built for those who achieved same feat before him?? Were they conferred national honors
We are in the era of Buhari must be blamed for every thing. People had achieved that feat before and nobody blamed the past presidents for not recognizing them.
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Jung(m): 7:30am On Mar 23, 2016
Why didn't your fada give u 5.0...... dumb hater.. goan get ur own now, nitwit!!!! I wish I could see u to dash u a good slap! I.diot

oyb:
Nigerians and Mr Dada are getting it wrong.

If care is not taken, he will end up like emegwali, still yakking about an academic prize 20 years later when everything else has stalled.

The first is a golden opportunity to get a very good job, but If this social media nonsense does not stop, no serious company will touch him. No serious company needs a celebrity entry level worker.

This country does not have any valedictorian celebration program. Furthermore, Mr Dada probably is not looking for a masters or PhD in a Nigerian institution.

So he should shut it or Face a storm of abuse when he gets an American scholarship

Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Jung(m): 7:35am On Mar 23, 2016
Please receive brain from the most high, so that u will see the stupidity in ur utterances. F.ool! Jealousy and hatred because no one recognizes losers like u shey??

Superbrain:
I don't understand why the guy needs recognition from the President. Getting a 5.0 CGPA is indeed a rare feat, but all the media hype around him and blame on Mr President is very counter-intuitive. This guy has the world as his oyster. He could get a full scholarship, expand his knowledge and experience at the highest levels (World Bank, UN, etc) and give back meaningfully to society. I was particularly disgusted about the "no money for rent" claim and more disappointed in Freeze for being a part of that whole bullshit. It is clear there is a wrong sense of entitlement here, and I am now more concerned about the mindset of this young fellow and his supporters.

Mr Azuka, you have made your point. But remember to remind the young man about a few things:

1. There are opportunities that abound everywhere. Getting a 5.0 GPA does not confer any responsibility on anyone to reward you for that personal achievement.
2. He is only starting off in his career. He must learn to manage his sense of entitlement lest he thinks the world owes him anything. This would help him in the long run.
3. At this point, he should seek for mentorship and advice on how to chart his career and not think that a 5.0 CGPA is the ultimate
4. There is a lot more he can contribute at this point that would earn him the respect of a broader audience. How about mentoring other undergraduates and motivating the Nigerian youth in the line of academics?
5. There would always be another record breaker. He is not the first, and would not be the last.
6. Getting extrinsic motivators (national recognition, monetary rewards, material compensations), though sometimes a nice to have, can greatly influence your intrinsic motivation and increase your appetite for material things.

His achievement is laudable and he should be rewarded (by those who deem it fit to do so) but he still has a lot to learn as graduating from a tertiary institution is only the beginning. Life grades you by a different metric.
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by DonBenny77(m): 7:41am On Mar 23, 2016
[quote author=Drdonzeez post=44020778]And you a professor,What has become of you?[/quote

zombie
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Nobody: 7:54am On Mar 23, 2016
Jung:

The guy works at P&G, u dumb f.uck!!! Where are u working??!!! Haters will die IJN!! Eliminating mentally challenged goats like u shud be Buhari's next agenda. SOAB!

Yea, he works at P&G!!! No Youth service yet, no work experience yet and foools like u keep begging on his behalf. I would rather remain mentally challenged than be useless to the society like you. Work begins for me, u can remain on your forsaken bed reading all available threads and spewing jargons all day defending a guy who has achieved far better than you would in 70yrs. Get a life and be useful to your parents.
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Drdonzeez(m): 7:58am On Mar 23, 2016
JennyNwa22:

At least he reasons well like a human being unlike you and ur illiterate dullard
you should be ashamed of yourself that an illiterate is ruling you when we have people like you with numerous degrees.It shows your degrees are not worth the hype.just thank your stars I'm in a vivacious mood today.
DonBenny77:
[/quote][quote author=JennyNwa22 post=44021962]
At least he reasons well like a human being unlike you and ur illiterate dullard
you should be ashamed of yourself that an illiterate is ruling you when we have people like you with numerous degrees.It shows your degrees are not worth the hype.just thank your stars I'm in a vivacious mood today.
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by iamCross(m): 7:59am On Mar 23, 2016
If you can answer these questions, I will consider taking you seriously. Is the governor of Lagos a school cert failure, too? Are you saying his governor, Ayo Fayose, doesn't know what it means to be a graduate, too?
JennyNwa22:
Not surprised, he is a school cert failure so he doesn't know what it takes to be a graduate not to talk of making a first class.

One of the numerous reasons I will always continue to miss GEJ
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Liljeez(m): 8:02am On Mar 23, 2016
JennyNwa22:
Lalasticlala

It is time for dinner... I'm officially asking you out cheesy
Ha
ask me out na
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by JennyNwa22(f): 8:03am On Mar 23, 2016
Drdonzeez:
you should be ashamed of yourself that an illiterate is ruling you when we have people like you with numerous degrees.It shows your degrees are not worth the hype.just thank your stars I'm in a vivacious mood today.you should be ashamed of yourself that an illiterate is ruling you when we have people like you with numerous degrees.It shows your degrees are not worth the hype.just thank your stars I'm in a vivacious mood today.

Pls check around, there will always be a lagoon nearby... That will help matters!

Zombie
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by DonBenny77(m): 8:03am On Mar 23, 2016
Drdonzeez:
you should be ashamed of yourself that an illiterate is ruling you when we have people like you with numerous degrees.It shows your degrees are not worth the hype.just thank your stars I'm in a vivacious mood today.you should be ashamed of yourself that an illiterate is ruling you when we have people like you with numerous degrees.It shows your degrees are not worth the hype.just thank your stars I'm in a vivacious mood today.

im sure u r one of those agents of change apc pays to fight for them on social network. cos if not ur defence of GMP shows how illiterate u are
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by breakeven: 8:04am On Mar 23, 2016
Except you've gone through a process you will not understand or appreciate it. So it is not baba fault, after all even his primary school cert is doubtful.
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by dumodust(m): 8:05am On Mar 23, 2016
jidxin:
chai I ddnt wanna comment b4 bt ur comment prompt me to.. U know u re an uneducated buffoon... he has to to 4 service b4 anything else

We all know that for some people, employment starts from nysc... and you continue there, so I know what I said
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by dumodust(m): 8:07am On Mar 23, 2016
Jung:

Dusty brain...Recieve mop to clean ur playhead....ode-oshi

#sighs.... I'm not here for childish pastimes or diversions, please move away so that I can discuss with human beings not people who start discussions with the sole intent of throwing insults
bye
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by JennyNwa22(f): 8:07am On Mar 23, 2016
Liljeez:
Ha
ask me out na
Are u a wailer or zombie undecided
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Drdonzeez(m): 8:07am On Mar 23, 2016
agongajoseph:
Pls speak with facts, nobody has achieved what the gentleman has achieved in d history of Nigeria, quote me anywhere, do u think a CGPA of 5.0 na beans?
just shut the Bleep up..Dr. Alofahi of Uniben achieved 5.0 in almighty mathematics.he's not the first to have achieved that and won't be the last.
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by BIAFRANFLAG(m): 8:09am On Mar 23, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
By Azuka Onwuka and not Punch Newspapers!

Illiterates everywhere..

The ARTICLE was written by AZUKA
ONWUKA and published by PUNCH NEWSPAPER.
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by dumodust(m): 8:12am On Mar 23, 2016
Jung:
I can see that you have lost it completely. I graduated with that guy and trust me, he hates limelight like earthworm hate salt. ur brain is really really bloated with sewage water. B.U.F.OON

mr loser co-graduate cheerleader... maybe you are the one that started spreading rumours about his rent, why should we trust you or your info, all we see is him and his personal biz over like 2 mths now

or

You are dada himself... welcome to the thread if so
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Drdonzeez(m): 8:13am On Mar 23, 2016
JennyNwa22:

Pls check around, there will always be a lagoon nearby... That will help matters!

Zombie
I don't have time for simpletons like you..Bleep off!
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Drdonzeez(m): 8:16am On Mar 23, 2016
DonBenny77:

im sure u r one of those agents of change apc pays to fight for them on social network. cos if not ur defence of GMP shows how illiterate u are
he's pained.Lol grin
DonBenny77:

he's pained.Lol
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by JennyNwa22(f): 8:16am On Mar 23, 2016
Drdonzeez:
I don't have time for simpletons like you..Bleep off!

Come and lick my ass tongue
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Nealo(f): 8:16am On Mar 23, 2016
For christ sake, how then will the youth be encouraged to do better, If at all the best amongs us are not celebrated? This our country God help us. If it's in other country we all know what would be the fate of that guru*
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by dumodust(m): 8:17am On Mar 23, 2016
uncjay:

Bros, I've been going through your posts and they're not making any sense to me.

First, how sure are you that the dude is not a hustler as you painted in your first post? Second, has it ever occur to you that not all hustler are successful despite giving everything they've got?

Life circumstances varies from one individual to another, in Nigeria here, people sieze any slightest opportunity to make it. Hard work can never be ruled out but we dare not assume its a benchmark for harnessing success, its just a stepping stone toward becoming great. Instead of crucifying the guy for what the media propagates, why don't you carry out a research work and tell us your findings about him. That the guy use the media to his advantage is part of hustling. Debunk me if you wouldn't do same, if found in his shoes.

I understand your point but get me right... only a hustler gets first class with 5.0 gpa... but it doesn't end there... as a profound academic, I just feel he's dropping the ball and diminishing himself by allowing all this media circus to get to him and he may lose focus... he should just remember that people forget really quickly and you must ride with purpose at the peak of hype and instigate a different kind of noise about getting a tangible well paid position, not this rent ish and push for recognition that bloggers use to attract traffic to their blogs and politicians use to prop themselves in the eyes of the people... just my candid opinion, anybody can think otherwise... no offense
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by sagaciousblog: 8:18am On Mar 23, 2016
JennyNwa22:

Next time if u don't have any point stop quoting people Ok?

Zombie like u
let me know when you have fully unpacked your brain from your br*east so i can take you serious..but for now, your words are nothing...
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by eltigreu06(m): 8:18am On Mar 23, 2016
@OP sorry to burst your bubbles...a convocation ceremony was held in January this in zaria , ABU precisely. A Chemistry graduate had the same feat and no hell was raised..the Chemistry graduate had 5.0 CPGA..whatever ur grievances are, a chemistry graduate deserves. More noise and recognition than the sociology graduate you all are drooling over..Peace
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Drdonzeez(m): 8:19am On Mar 23, 2016
JennyNwa22:

Come and lick my ass tongue
Come and get a Bleep.And hope your pussy is deep?
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by dumodust(m): 8:20am On Mar 23, 2016
Superbrain:
I don't understand why the guy needs recognition from the President. Getting a 5.0 CGPA is indeed a rare feat, but all the media hype around him and blame on Mr President is very counter-intuitive. This guy has the world as his oyster. He could get a full scholarship, expand his knowledge and experience at the highest levels (World Bank, UN, etc) and give back meaningfully to society. I was particularly disgusted about the "no money for rent" claim and more disappointed in Freeze for being a part of that whole bullshit. It is clear there is a wrong sense of entitlement here, and I am now more concerned about the mindset of this young fellow and his supporters.

Mr Azuka, you have made your point. But remember to remind the young man about a few things:

1. There are opportunities that abound everywhere. Getting a 5.0 GPA does not confer any responsibility on anyone to reward you for that personal achievement.
2. He is only starting off in his career. He must learn to manage his sense of entitlement lest he thinks the world owes him anything. This would help him in the long run.
3. At this point, he should seek for mentorship and advice on how to chart his career and not think that a 5.0 CGPA is the ultimate
4. There is a lot more he can contribute at this point that would earn him the respect of a broader audience. How about mentoring other undergraduates and motivating the Nigerian youth in the line of academics?
5. There would always be another record breaker. He is not the first, and would not be the last.
6. Getting extrinsic motivators (national recognition, monetary rewards, material compensations), though sometimes a nice to have, can greatly influence your intrinsic motivation and increase your appetite for material things.

His achievement is laudable and he should be rewarded (by those who deem it fit to do so) but he still has a lot to learn as graduating from a tertiary institution is only the beginning. Life grades you by a different metric.

Oga, thank you for making so much sense and making things clearer

1 Like

Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by dumodust(m): 8:21am On Mar 23, 2016
eltigreu06:
@OP sorry to burst your bubbles...a convocation ceremony was held in January this in zaria , ABU precisely. A Chemistry graduate had the same feat and no hell was raised..the Chemistry graduate had 5.0 CPGA..whatever ur grievances are, a chemistry graduate deserves. More noise and recognition than the sociology graduate you all are drooling over..Peace

Are you serious?

Please confirm...
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by JennyNwa22(f): 8:23am On Mar 23, 2016
Drdonzeez:
Come and Bleep my dick
You are still a kid... When u grow up u let me knw
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by donj84: 8:25am On Mar 23, 2016
JennyNwa22:
By Azuka Onwuka

A big opportunity came to President Muhammadu Buhari to shine some weeks ago but he let it waste. A graduate of the University of Lagos, Mr Ayodele Daniel Dada, made history by being the first graduate of the university to make the maximum cumulative grade point average (CPGA) of 5.00 point out of 5.00. Even though it was not said that he was the first graduate from any Nigerian university to make such a result, I have never heard that a graduate made such a result in any other Nigerian university.

What it meant was that Dada made an A in all the courses he took. That includes courses from other departments and faculties, which were not related to his course of study. For example, imagine an arts student who hates computations and scientific theories being made to take a subject in the natural sciences as well as computer. Many of such people would just pray to get the minimum score in those non-related but compulsory courses. Their dream will be to just pass those courses so as to be free to focus on the directly related courses that made them come to the university in the first place.

In the case of Dada, he made an A in all these courses right from his first year to his final. If he had made anything less than an A in any of his university courses, it would have dented his CGPA and he would not have made a 5.00. Reports from UNILAG indicate that when the university authorities heard of the unbelievable result, they called for his papers. After a thorough scrutiny, they found out that Dada deservedly got an A in all his courses. The CGPA was subsequently awarded to him.

However, he did not get the same opportunity in 2011 when he sat for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination. The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board seized his result that year “for cheating”. JAMB must have been too shocked with his result that it believed that there was no way Dada could have made such a score except by cheating. Sadly, JAMB has not come up with any mechanism to identify exceptionally brilliant candidates. Dada eventually decided to take the option of doing a diploma programme at the University of Lagos. That disappointment of having his result seized for being too brilliant could have dampened the spirit of some people and made them derail. But happily, Dada persevered in spite of his unenviable family financial status.

The announcement of Dada’s university result on February 25 was therefore a heaven-sent opportunity for Buhari to shore up his rating among the people. It was the type of opportunity many presidents would pray for but never get. The reason is simple. This is not something that happens regularly. It can never even be predicted. Having a first class is a regular occurrence in universities. Each university graduates many first class students every year. But having a graduate with 5.00 CGPA out of 5.00 is a rarity. It is said that perfection is not possible among humans, but this is something akin to perfection. So, anybody who has achieved this feat is nothing but a genius.

Why did President Buhari not celebrate this exceptional student? Was it because he did not know about it? Was it because it did not carry much weight with him? Did his media aides like Mr Femi Adesina and Mr Garba Shehu not know about it? Did the ministers of education not hear about it? What about the minister of youths and sports? Did they hear about it and briefed the President on the need to tap into and celebrate the achiever but were ignored by the President?

At a time entertainment (like music, acting, comedy, dancing, etc) is taking the attention of many youths away from education and academic excellence, celebrating the academic feat of Dada would have done a lot for education in Nigeria. Immediately the news broke, the President should have sent a letter of congratulation to Dada and then invited him to Aso Rock for a handshake. At such a meeting, the President should have used that opportunity to stress his administration’s commitment to excellence in all human endeavours, especially in academic pursuit. He should have used that opportunity to inform the nation of his belief that the youths are the hope of the nation and should be supported and encouraged to excel. Then, he should have given the young man a scholarship and whatever other incentives he could.

It was also surprising that neither the governor of his state of origin (Ekiti State) nor state of residence (Lagos) keyed into the excellent performance of Dada. It was as if it was nothing special.

Similarly, except for the few comments within the two days of the breaking of the story, most Nigerians did not see the news item as something of great importance to talk about. Compare that to last month’s story of the transformation of Mrs Jumoke Orisaguna from a bread hawker to a model. Almost every person made a comment about her in the social media and private discussions for weeks. Even columnists wrote about her. Companies and brands fell over themselves to make donations to her and her children as well as make her advertise their brands. Pastors used her to preach and pray in churches.

It says a lot about our focus and values as a nation. Even though most Nigerians want the nation to become a superpower and a super economy, the government and citizens don’t celebrate academic excellence. How can a country become one of the leading countries of the world if excellence – especially academic excellence – is not celebrated? It is for the same reason that teachers, lecturers and researchers are poorly remunerated, while creative minds and their creations are ignored. It is for the same reason that winners of entertainment contests get prizes that run into millions of naira, while winners of academic and scholarly contests get rewarded with plaques. But then one may not blame corporate organisations because they are not charities. They need to support programmes that will give them visibility and patronage. But that the government joins in not giving priority to academic excellence is not excusable.

Entertainment is good and needs to be promoted. But a country does not grow by giving all attention to entertainment to the detriment of educational excellence and scientific breakthroughs.

It may not be easy for a government to turn the economy around within a year. It may not be easy for the government to defeat the Boko Haram as promised. It may not be easy to solve the electricity supply problem within a year. But there are quick wins that a government can achieve. There are also opportunities that a government can exploit immediately they present themselves. These opportunities will always present themselves in the life of every administration. Whatever an administration makes of such opportunities depends on that administration. Sometimes even a bad situation can be quickly turned around by a government that thinks on its feet.

The tempo may have died down on the issue of Dada, but it is not too late for the government to celebrate him. It is said that it is better late than never. When excellence is rewarded and celebrated by the government, people are encouraged to seek excellence. As David W. Johnson said: “There are no speed limits on the road to excellence.”

http://www.punchng.com/the-injustice-buhari-did-to-the-genius-of-unilag/
Bro thank for your write up but its obvious that our government is not concerned about academic excellence..they not interested in education..if best graduating student can be given car and 1 million naira in the east, then a best graduating student in Nigeria I not even celebrated in his own state of origin. Let the guy go abroad jare and perform wonders, after all, a prophet is not respected in his own town
Re: The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch by Joe82834(m): 8:35am On Mar 23, 2016
shamecurls:
[size=18pt] Story by Azuka Onwuka

sigh....

The problem of the world is the East (Middle-East-Syria, Israel, Saudi-Arabia, Palestine, Iran, Iraq, Egypt)

The problem of Africa is the East (North Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi, Kenya, Zimbabwe e.t.c)

The problem of Nigeria is the ****
[/size]
Lols, funny. But one thing is common amongst abt 95% of the places u mentioned, though u expertly omitted it. ISLAM.dnt u think?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ekiti Election: I Am Coasting To Victory - Eleka, PDP Candidate / Election Postponement: Charity Ngilu, Kenyan Governor Stranded, Laments Online / 2019: Ayodele Fayose Reaches Out To Labour Party For Presidential Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.