Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,792 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:01 PM

Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party (12106 Views)

2019: Neither APC Nor PDP Should Win - Oby Ezekwesili / PDP Has Now Been Reduced To A Regional Party – APC / Economic Recession: 68% Of Nigerians Feel PDP Should Be Held Responsible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by patiot: 10:24pm On Mar 22, 2016
By SENATOR BURUJI KASHAMU

On Thursday, the 17th of March, 2016, I was part of a delegation which visited the National chairman of the party. The delegation included all six State party Chairmen, leaders and elders in the zone and was led by the National Vice Chairman of the party in the South West.

The visit was the forum we needed to express our solidarity with his leadership as well as to keep him abreast of the challenges threatening the peace and unity of the party in our zone. Without prejudice, we clearly stated our conviction that the National Chairman of the party should emerge from the North.

Our opinion was informed by the fact that while the PDP controls 10 of the 17 states in the Southern Nigeria, the PDP only controls two of the 19 states in the North. Thus, the need to strengthen the North to pre-empt the lessening of the PDP to a regional party if the National Chairman emerged from the South, as it was already being pushed. The choice of a National Chairman from the South West will be too devastating for the party that is still smarting from the losses it suffered at the last general elections. This development might spark off the tendency to be flighty in those who are fond of breaking away to pursue their own interests when things don’t favour them at any point in time. Another break-away political organisation from the already depleted ranks of the PDP will be dismal.

It was for these simple reasons that we posited that a reversal of the current choice of leadership will certainly shrink our party into a regional party that lacks the capacity to sustain itself. However, I am convinced that our party leaders do have a good sense of history and can clearly recall the fact that once upon a time, key leadership positions like the BOT chairman as well as office of the President and Commander-in-Chief of the nation were occupied by leaders from the South who were adequately empowered and highly influential because the PDP was the ruling party at the time.

Unfortunately, the huge resources at their disposal could not guarantee and secure victory for the party at the polls. It is even a much more daunting task for anyone wanting to be party chairman right now because we have lost the privileges and advantages of being the ruling party.

Thus, it is not an abnormally for both positions to be occupied by the North at this point in time when they need to be encouraged to remain loyal to the party. Furthermore, denying the North the privilege they seek could be perceived as marginalisation because right now they have a depleted membership base as a result of the wave of defections that hit the party with the creation and evolution of the APC.
It should be noted that the South West had the Presidency for 8years as well the Speaker of the House of Representatives for 4 years; these positions are more influential than the chairmanship of the party which some now argue that it must be given to the South West because no one from the region has ever served as National Chairman.
The argument that the quest to have the National Chairmanship zoned to the North is meant to deny the zone the opportunity of producing a Presidential candidate of Northern extraction is untenable. The national leadership of the party has been widely reported as having zoned the Presidency to the North. This was part of the recommendations of Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu-led Post-Election Review Committee, which recommended that it would assuage any ill-feelings caused by the jettisoning of the zoning principle. What is more, as stated earlier the South once had the Presidency and Chairman of the BoT.
I must also say that we need the cohesive political character of the North to re-build and reposition the party, going forward. It will be easier for them to pull the needed resources for rebuilding the party. This possibility is already evident in the way the north has rallied around the National Chairman in spite of their previous disapproval and criticisms of his person.
We are witnesses of how activities have picked up in the National Secretariat since the emergence of Senator Ali Modu Sheriff as National Chairman. Our prestigious National secretariat that experienced a lull is now alive and busy with prolific political activities. There are measured steps being taken to appease the aggrieved and bring estranged party men and leaders back home. Since Senator Sheriff came on board, the PDP has been winning most of the re-run elections. There is a ray of hope in the horizon and it will be utterly irresponsible to put off the flicker.

Besides, no one can discount the fact that Senator Modu Sheriff is a man with great political antecedents that speak of the quality of his political service to his people; it takes an extra-ordinary man to win successive elections into the National Assembly and the office of the Governor. We must learn to and be willing to give honour to when it is deserved.
Meanwhile, this is an auspicious moment for the South West to position itself for other political offices like the Vice-Presidency that will certainly emerge as we walk the road to 2019. Without denigrating us, we, the people of the South West, are rather contentious and engrossed with tackling each other through petition-writing. This is sadly evident in the fact that since the emergence of Senator Ali Modu Sheriff most of the petitions that have flooded the national secretariat are from the South West zone. We do not need a National Chairman that is without the critical mass and funds that are imperative for successful leadership.
From my conservative estimate, it should cost millions of naira monthly to run the National Secretariat. Anyone who wants to be National Chairman must be able to source for the money. It is baffling that since our party lost power at the centre, not many of our respectable leaders in the South West have spent a dime on the party at the ward, local government, state and zonal levels; let alone at the national level. If core constituencies are left unfunded, how will the national hub of the party be revived and empowered for mandatory political activities? It is only a straying stubborn chick that frowns at attempts being made to save it from death.
With all due respect, most of those agitating for leadership are simply positioning themselves for the spoils of political office and not service. Gone are the days when the PDP was in power; the party is certainly not in a position to attract funding like it did in the past. Thus those aspiring for leadership must have the capacity to fund the party either directly or through a credible fund raising drive. It is immoral for anyone to look for party positions so as to leverage on it to line their pockets by cornering party or campaign funds.

Our proposal, however, is not cast in stone as the only logical option to choose. Let those with contrary views join the debate and I will be willing to defer to superior arguments. Hopefully, in line with our zoning policy, when a Presidential candidate of Northern extraction emerges in 2018, the various organs of the party will meet and decide where to take the National Chairmanship to.

ON THE LEADERSHIP OF THE SOUTH WEST PDP
Going forward, there are other crucial issues such as the current internal conflicts, rivalries and misgivings that must be progressively resolved. We do not need further recriminations and back-stabbing in the ranks of the party in the South West. The conflict flash points have been identified and we look forward to the reconciliation and healing processes. No single interest is greater than the collective interest of our great party; every true, faithful and loyal party leader should be focused on that and not parochial interests.

Let me state from the outset that going by the constitution of our party, the highest decision making organ of the party in a zone is the Zonal Executive Committee which comprises of the National Vice Chairman of the zone, the state Chairmen and other notable leaders and elders. If these leaders at a certain point in time decide to defer to a particular individual, there must be a reason for it; the most important being the person’s commitment and dedication to the party.

An objective account of the events of that fateful day will reveal that it was simply a spontaneous expression of their esteem and appreciation of the leadership I have provided so far. I must say that I was so shocked and speechless. The National Chairman even urged me to say thank you to my people for the honour, but I could not. It was when I got into my car that I began to say “Thank you, Allah”; “How did it happen?”; “Oh Almighty Allah, You have always got my back”.
It was indeed an honour and privilege to see eminent party leaders and political juggernauts pronounce me their leader. While I remain humbled by their action, I must acknowledge that leadership is earned. If they have decided to reward my unwavering sense of responsibility and commitment to the well-being of the party this way, what option do I have other than to rise to the occasion?

I do reckon that they see me as a rallying point, even though I have superior leaders ahead of me. I do not assume that I am the No.1 leader of the PDP in the South West. I am just a rallying point. I am reminded of what Jesus said to his followers in the Scriptures that those of you who are ashamed of me before men, I will also deny you in the presence of my father in heaven. Frankly speaking, how would anyone expect a people they never catered for to validate them? Even some of those who managed to spend for the party did not go beyond their respective states.

At the level of the Mobilisation and Organisation Committee in the South West, we have consistently ploughed our strengths to meet the needs of the party. Our presence is felt in all six states of the zone where offices are actively working with the grassroots to preserve our political sovereignty and gain new grounds, in spite of the challenges facing us. We have consistently done what it takes to give members and leaders a genuine sense of belonging. My personal travails are reprisals from battles I have fought for the sanctity of our great party and the masses.

There are some people questioning other people’s integrity, yet, we know that they are the perpetrators of some of the mind-boggling acts of corruption that stigmatizes our party and cripples the nation. What a reckless way to abuse the confidence that was reposed on them when they were given the opportunity to serve in various capacities. I do acknowledge that everybody is a leader in his or her state. But, how many of those leaders reach out beyond their states and are committed to building the party and uniting members across the zone?

Thus, if over 70% of the functional leaders across the states spontaneously bestow their confidence in me as the rallying point at this trying time in our political history, it should be seen as a necessary inevitable step and not a superiority contest. I have always, without reservations, acknowledged other superior leaders who have served the party in various capacities. The likes of Chief Bode George, Senator Seye Ogunlewe, Alhaji Yekeen Adeojo, Alhaji Shuaib Oyedokun, Chief Clement Awoyelu, Chief Abiola Ogundokun and others too numerous to mention.

To most of them, I should either be a political son or associate and certainly not an opponent. Now is the time for us all to unite for the sake of our great party even as we inevitably swap batons; the old giving it up for the young. The future is now and the young people who own the future must be accommodated and empowered. With great humility, I am grateful to be the rallying point for this vision which I have committed the best of my ideas, time and resources, to promote and sustain.
Most of the contenders for the post of the National Chairman of the PDP in the South West are indeed seeking financial rehabilitation; they do not have the capacity to fund the party or source for funds. Even if they get the funds, they will misappropriate it. Unfortunately the PDP is no longer the money making machine it used to be in the past. The only thing I owe the masses is to tell them the truth and expose those who are professional politicians and liars. I call upon all the zones to team up with the North and drive their vision of re-positioning the party.

OPPOSITION WITH ALTRUISM

Those who know me very well know that I do not play to the gallery. For me, opposition is not about rabid criticisms. We should be solution-providers. If we are united in the current efforts to rescue and rebuild Nigeria, we will stand successful. But, if we are disunited and contentious, we will fail. The failure of the Federal Government is, by implication, the failure of the state and local governments. It is thus foolhardy to sit in our various constituencies and throw stones at the government of the federation, simply because we belong to different political parties.

In as much as criticism is a vital requisite for good governance, I do strongly believe that there is need for balance. There is a crucial need for balance in order to eliminate the negative effects that criticisms tainted with bias could unleash on our country. Being in opposition is not necessarily an obligation to perpetuate dissonance. The culture of mindless criticisms is always adverse because even when the critic means well, the manner of approach and presentation could make it counter-productive. The stability and sustainability of the lower levels of government depends on the well- being of government at the federal level.

It is inevitable that the ripple effects of issues troubling the Federal Government will be felt at the state and local governments. As a lawmaker, I know how many constituency projects that I have attracted to my constituents under this government even when I am of the opposition. I know how many blocks of classrooms, motorcycles, grinding machines, sewing machines, among others, that I have attracted to my constituency for the benefit of my constituents.

The elections are over and governments have emerged at various levels. Wherever we live or belong, let us rally round the government of the day and allow it deliver on its promises to the people. When the election comes, we can then go to the field to campaign.

http://www.nigeriannewspapers.today/2016/03/23/pdp-why-south-west-conceded-chairmanship-slot-to-north-by-buruji-kashamu/

1 Like

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by Pidggin(f): 10:57pm On Mar 22, 2016
APC is also a regional party so what's the difference

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by Flexherbal(m): 11:03pm On Mar 22, 2016
We don't care about parties anymore. We only care about good leaders.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by truthspeaks: 8:25am On Mar 23, 2016
This is not new

1 Like

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by Sunymoore(m): 8:26am On Mar 23, 2016
Unfortunately, PDP Is dead and buried. We need a viable opposition...

17 Likes

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by seunwen2(m): 8:26am On Mar 23, 2016
Kashamu link me up with drug business

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by Saheed9: 8:26am On Mar 23, 2016
baba sheri has spoken
Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by Nobody: 8:26am On Mar 23, 2016
I WISH BUHARI CAN SUSPEND THE CONSTITUTION SO WE CAN GO BACK TO FULL DICTATORSHIP. I WANT THE LIKES OF GEJ, FAYOSE AND WIKE IN JAIL FOR LIFE angry

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by edoboy33(m): 8:26am On Mar 23, 2016
IF YOU LOVE PDP CLICK LIKE IF YOU LOVE APC CLICK SHARE

84 Likes 41 Shares

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by truthalways(m): 8:26am On Mar 23, 2016
undecided
Pdp that is in coma and would be dead soon
Apc isn't any better though undecided
We are just between the red sea and going back to egypt...smh

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by boboLIL(m): 8:27am On Mar 23, 2016
I have never seen. a party so desperate to be. In power like apc... Their sole aim of seeking for power is to disgrace other party members...

Buhari used them to get wah he wanted for. Years... And he must disappoint them at last...

Apc will break up soon...

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by ademega(m): 8:27am On Mar 23, 2016
its already

1 Like

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by Mistermamus(m): 8:27am On Mar 23, 2016
Pdp will bounce bck. Apc will breakup

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by Siberia101: 8:28am On Mar 23, 2016
Flexherbal:

You've said it all

1 Like

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by maestroferddi: 8:28am On Mar 23, 2016
When PDP is through with forthcoming reforms, the likes of Kashamu Buruji will be given their proper places.

1 Like

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by kliq(m): 8:28am On Mar 23, 2016
PDP is dead

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by 9jii(m): 8:28am On Mar 23, 2016
Even in that region they have only 3 government
Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by TippyTop(m): 8:28am On Mar 23, 2016
Our opinion was informed by the fact that while the PDP controls 10 of the 17 states in the Southern Nigeria, the PDP only controls two of the 19 states in the North.

PDP have Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa and southern states.
The regional party is APC with most of its states in the north.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by eleojo23: 8:29am On Mar 23, 2016
joborskill:
I WISH BUHARI CAN SUSPEND THE CONSTITUTION SO WE CAN GO BACK TO FULL DICTATORSHIP. I WANT THE LIKES OF GEJ, FAYOSE AND WIKE IN JAIL FOR LIFE angry

Don't be silly.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by kliq(m): 8:29am On Mar 23, 2016
joborskill:

Seconded

2 Likes

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by Nobody: 8:30am On Mar 23, 2016
Pidggin:
lol really?

You called APC that has governors in all the 6 regions of Nigeria a regional party?

Which school did you attend?

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by Qmerit(m): 8:31am On Mar 23, 2016
Pidggin:

Read and understand bro,,, apc won more states in the North and few in the South BUT the chairman is from the south.

But for me I need good leaders and governance

9 Likes

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by emamos: 8:31am On Mar 23, 2016
edoboy33:
[s]IF YOU LOVE PDP CLICK LIKE IF YOU LOVE APC CLICK SHARE
[/s]

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by galaxy4rep(m): 8:31am On Mar 23, 2016
OK, noted
Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by Noblebrown7(m): 8:32am On Mar 23, 2016
Whatever!
Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by searay(m): 8:33am On Mar 23, 2016
Mistermamus:
Pdp will bounce bck. Apc will breakup
Amen Amen Amen Fire

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by crixlight2(m): 8:33am On Mar 23, 2016
Lol pls today is ma birthday grin by this time and this day last week, I was in theatre undergoing operation cry.... But I thank God for today am back on ma feet.... Pls click like to help me praise Babba God

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by authority4mmaku: 8:34am On Mar 23, 2016
Has he started complaining go back to work former

r BHS
Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by Nobody: 8:34am On Mar 23, 2016
Flexherbal:
say that to south south, south east and north east people.

1 Like

Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by emamos: 8:34am On Mar 23, 2016
Sunymoore:
Unfortunately, PDP Is dead and buried. We need a viable opposition...
i dnt tink so bro
Re: Pdp Should Not Be Reduced To A Regional Party by GoldCircle: 8:36am On Mar 23, 2016
seunwen2:
Kashamu link me up with drug business
you are sick. Go to the nearest pharmacy for the pharmacist on duty to link you up with a drug.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Court Dismisses Diezani Alison-Madueke’s Application For Trial In Nigeria / Subsidy War: Expect Mother Of All Strikes From Monday –– Labour / Abia -God's Own State (The hidden gem of the east)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.