Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,724 members, 7,955,733 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:00 PM

Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad (36306 Views)

Why Nigerians Are Stranded In Russia After Being Scammed By Fraudsters / Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home / These Are The Best Countries You Should Consider If You Want To Live Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by RaeMystix: 4:10am On Mar 25, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

Where do you live ??

In the United States, one does not obtain health insurance coverage for free. One gets coverage, either by getting a job with a company that provides health insurance for its employees( while having the fees deducted from the bi-weekly or monthly paycheck), or basically just paying out of pocket on Monthly basis. If one is a small business owner.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by RichYoungNigga: 4:22am On Mar 25, 2016
RaeMystix:

In the United States, one never gets health insurance coverage for free. One gets coverage, either by getting a job with a company that provides health insurance for its employees( which one pays for by having one's insurance fees deducted from the bi-weekly or monthly paycheck), or basically just paying out of pocket on Monthly basis. If one is a small business owner.
I live in New York and i do have health insurance and it's not from my employer.
You can buy health insurance
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by RaeMystix: 4:35am On Mar 25, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

I live in New York and i do have health insurance and it's not from my employer.
You can buy health insurance

I stated that too. Most Obama care insurance holders are entrepreneurs.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by Toks2008(m): 6:51am On Mar 25, 2016
RichYoungNigga:
The reasons Why we Nigerians live abroad are.
1. We want uninterrupted electricity ( For 10 years now, i haven't seen electricity go off for just 2 minutes)
2. We won't be treated differently because we are poor or not so rich.
3. The police don't manhandle us
4. Good roads (I haven't seen a gutter or an open rain drainage in 10 years)
5. Human Rights (We can take Bill Gates, Rick Ross to court and still win) can you take Dangote to court in Nigeria and win your case ??
6. There is law and orderliness (You can't use a siren or get preferential treatment because you're rich) you must obey the law or you pay heavily.
7. Free education(no ASUU strike) and health care.
8.We make good money (A janitor, Bus driver earns what a Nigerian bank manager earn in one month in just 2 weeks

9. Everything works.
10. No jungle justice (You won't be killed and burned for just stealing a car) or getting beat by 100 people because you stole a phone
11. Life is good

You have said it all.

Im even considering relocating to the states at least for ther next 9yrs.

As an enterprenure i have realized that i can operate my business from overseas,alo as a politician i have realized that money is a great de facto in pushing your ambition.

As an e-commerce consultant with focus on online fx trading which is one of my specialties,i designed a software that allows investors make regular average monthly profit of 10 to 20% profit yet Nigerian investors hardly patronize and most of my clients are based abroad.

This is because most Nigerians do this business with ridiculously low capital that makes no profit sense if they have to earn 10 to 20% profit...so sad.

If anyone has the opportunity abeg go out,make very good money and come back here to invest.

We need to really pray for this country.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by BetaThings: 10:39am On Mar 25, 2016
Blackops:
We all want to live 'in' the abroad because this country is in tatters.

Who put it in tatters?

Nigerians are the architect of our problems
The present administration is not perfect
But I cannot understand why anyone who supported Jonathan will fault the current government
Jonathan was in Aso rock as VP between May 2007 and Feb 2010 before taking over

Nigerians like to praise foreign countries but don't really commit to developing theirs

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by momoyama: 12:52pm On Mar 25, 2016
BetaThings:

Who put it in tatters?

Nigerians are the architect of our problems
The present administration is not perfect
But I cannot understand why anyone who supported Jonathan will fault the current government
Jonathan was in Aso rock as VP between May 2007 and Feb 2010 before taking over

Nigerians like to praise foreign countries but don't really commit to developing theirs

PERFECTLY SAID.

Stay at home and develop your own country, and you will not have to praise foreign ones.
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by Romanciella(f): 1:32pm On Mar 25, 2016
stubbornman:
you're pretty are you Hausa ?
yea tankiu
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by pansophist(m): 10:12pm On Mar 25, 2016
thewatcher2020:
No matter how you slice it... the black man doesn't belong to the whiteman's world. Y'all just be forcing shiit. The happiness y'all claim to have in the west is nothing but illusion. A Norwegian would go to Australia and never feel lost in the society irrespective of location. You black, the stereotypes gonna stay on forever- "y'all good for nothing". I got a couple of white friends. Surfing, biking and shit but whenever I hit Trinidad, Trinidad ooooo, not Nigeria, I feel so bleeping at home more. Gosh! You won't understand. Trust me it's not about the money. I got that in abundance at my level if you ask me. But hey, this place would never be home. forget it. We are worlds apart with this people.

Wow, your post made me retrospect about the poignant experience of being black in white land.

You know, its psychologically comforting to walk into a classroom, enter a bus, a shopping mall or any public places without the burden of being the odd one. Living in a foreign society, you carry the baggage of fighting stereotype, proving yourself, thinking your job refusal was due to your hue, and your rude boss treats you differently because of his hidden prejudice towards your kind.

After your brain has been exhausted by the vorfreude andrenaline rush of endorphines associated with migration, it begins to dawn on you that truly, there is no place like home. Social ostracism seems to be the norm for many immigrants, and it seems like there are seeds in the Afro culture that is fundamentally missing in many culture such as empathy, inclusiveness and has a morbid obsession for competition, which makes it extremely difficult to feel at home, especially in a culture with a foundational condescending view on African.

Before moving abroad, I never knew that a mundane thing as skin colour would be the determinant on how I will be perceived, treated and covertly affect direction of my economical position. Just like how I see different skin colours of people in Nigeria and never treat them differently, the opposite is true in many foreign countries. Standard of living is surely very good in the west, but its very unsatisfying for someone that is well breed in the African system communality, and you many times find yourself retrospecting about your past life at home, with all its pleasant memories.

many of the facile comments on this thread portrays inexperience of living abroad, especially if you are a conscious African. Where you are merely tolerated, so as to convince themselves and proof to the world that they ain't racist and got nothing about you. But in reality, your kind if filled within the lower hierarchy of the socio-economical ladder. Admittedly, you will find many black people in top position, but this doesn't invalidate the conventional truth, just like a broken clock is correct twice a day.

To sum it up, if material wealth and comfort is all you crave for, then surely, the west is for you. If you crave for something deep, meaningful and celestial, then relatively, its not for you. if you believe that life will be heaven after you moved abroad, then you probably will end of being a victim of the popular ''grass is greener on the other side'' maxim.

To be black and conscious in the west is to be in a constant state of rage." – James Baldwin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by Nobody: 12:48am On Mar 26, 2016
PLS IF U HAVE SOME THING DOIN OVERSEAS DONT COME BACK TO NAJIA WE ARE TOO PLENTY>>>EVEN TO GET BREAD FROM SHROPRITE APAPA ON FRIDAY NA WAR PEOPLE EVEN TIP TO GET JUST BREAD FAST
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by seangy4konji: 12:42pm On Mar 26, 2016
Dem no need tell person. If you get chNce to go and live in America no go. Me won't tell anybody before I go and I fit nor come back again.

Na choice.

I not go deh there for you the day you enter one chance and you meet yourself for a village in sango Ora with your head in a pot.
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by momoyama: 1:43pm On Mar 26, 2016
pansophist:

Wow, your post made me retrospect about the poignant experience of being black in white land.

You know, its psychologically comforting to walk into a classroom, enter a bus, a shopping mall or any public places without the burden of being the odd one. Living in a foreign society, you carry the baggage of fighting stereotype, proving yourself, thinking your job refusal was due to your hue, and your rude boss treats you differently because of his hidden prejudice towards your kind.

After your brain has been exhausted by the vorfreude andrenaline rush of endorphines associated with migration, it begins to dawn on you that truly, there is no place like home. Social ostracism seems to be the norm for many immigrants, and it seems like there are seeds in the Afro culture that is fundamentally missing in many culture such as empathy, inclusiveness and has a morbid obsession for competition, which makes it extremely difficult to feel at home, especially in a culture with a foundational condescending view on African.

Before moving abroad, I never knew that a mundane thing as skin colour would be the determinant on how I will be perceived, treated and covertly affect direction of my economical position. Just like how I see different skin colours of people in Nigeria and never treat them differently, the opposite is true in many foreign countries. Standard of living is surely very good in the west, but its very unsatisfying for someone that is well breed in the African system communality, and you many times find yourself retrospecting about your past life at home, with all its pleasant memories.

many of the facile comments on this thread portrays inexperience of living abroad, especially if you are a conscious African. Where you are merely tolerated, so as to convince themselves and proof to the world that they ain't racist and got nothing about you. But in reality, your kind if filled within the lower hierarchy of the socio-economical ladder. Admittedly, you will find many black people in top position, but this doesn't invalidate the conventional truth, just like a broken clock is correct twice a day.

To sum it up, if material wealth and comfort is all you crave for, then surely, the west is for you. If you crave for something deep, meaningful and celestial, then relatively, its not for you. if you believe that life will be heaven after you moved abroad, then you probably will end of being a victim of the popular ''grass is greener on the other side'' maxim.

To be black and conscious in the west is to be in a constant state of rage." – James Baldwin

You are very right. Stay at home and create your own successful society.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by obiaguna(m): 6:27pm On Mar 26, 2016
thewatcher2020:

God bless you for this post. so many of them don't even paint the picture as it is. Let's be clear on this- THE WHITE MAN DOESN'T RESPECT YOU, HE is JUST BEING TOLERANT OF YOUR PRESENCE IN HIS COUNTRY. No matter the smiles and facial expression of happiness, those people gonna forever see you as a semi-human. Most people just sit down there and talk about quality of life in here. I laugh. Your psychological well being isn't distorted when a sales attendant follows you about inside the shop? Even when you know you've got more money to buy stuffs inside more than the regular white guy inside? When police pulls you over for no damnnn reason, just to ask you for your ID? Look, I'd say it here and forever, Until when an African from Nigeria sees Kenya, Senegal, Mali, Burkinafaso and the rest countries as the destination "abroad" and same for African countries, we shall forever remain 2ndclass citizens. Keep living in denial, the rest of you. I make money here but every fucc.cking day, I feel like I don't belong here. I wake up and wanna get through the day as fast as possible. Painful thing some fucking guys would quit banking jobs in nigeria to become Http:// dish washers for these skinheads here!

But you are still there abi.. Enduring all the insults and racial slurs, abi
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by obiaguna(m): 6:34pm On Mar 26, 2016
mmsen:

People all over the world are treated differently according to status/wealth - if you think that you will be treated like Oprah Winfrey when you work as a teacher then you are moronic.

The judicial system everywhere works for the benefit of those with means - to expect that you will receive the same level of justice or care as an immigrant laborer as someone with political or economic clout is incredibly naive. If you genuinely believe that then I suggest that you read up on Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan - both of whom have been involved in numerous crimes, including drug offences but somehow avoided jail time.

The judicial system is loaded with prejudice and bias - class, race, status, appearance all play into what kind of judgment a defendant will receive. Judges are not robots, they're raised in the same cesspool of bigotry and prejudice as the rest of society. As a result they are not above making foolish judgments based on preconceived notions.

You may feel like you make 'good money' as a janitor but your quality of life will be poor because a significant percentage of your wages will be spent trying to keep the lights on and a roof over your head - I notice that many immigrants are remarkably stupid when it comes to getting excited over wages. The money you will receive in these minimum wage positions is enough to buy food and maybe just enough for a portion of your rent in the big cities - you will not be living well by any stretch of the imagination. Also, quality healthcare is never free, in most nations you will require health insurance.

And the police most certainly can and do harass private individuals. People are pulled over for driving while black, at will. That's not just in America, it happens in Switzerland and other parts of Europe. And if you live in a horrible part of town then your interactions with the police will increase in frequency.

It's clear that many of you possess a completely unrealistic, romanticized vision of foreign nations and have no clue what it takes to build a nation to be proud of hence the obsession with acquiring visas to unknown climes - countries with their own internal problems, prejudices and cultural nuances of which most of you are ignorant. The worst of you are the characters who decide that your life in your home country is so awful that it's better to overstay on your tourist or student visa than to return home and strive to improve your life and add to your nation's well-being.

In as much as I would like to agree with you, I would also like to point out your ignorance. Pardon my language. You know that we are living in a failed nation. A nation that has failed it's people and you my friend wants to persuade people that clearly have the means to go for a better lifestyle to stay back in a failed country??
Yes, the West or the obodos isnt all that rosy but it's a billion times better than living in a shithole called Nigeria. Did I hear you say stay back and build this country?? Nation builder, what have you contributed to the development of this country? What projects of national interest have you done? Show us links let's verify your achievements Mr Nation builder.. Pls whoever has the means and has his or her heart set on leaving should leave. Let those that can manage here remain. End of.....

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by obiaguna(m): 6:39pm On Mar 26, 2016
The most annoying set of people are those that are already "in the abroad" criticising their host countries. They are racists, they are this, they are that. Yet 20 years and counting, uncle Chinedu never still come house.Better respect yourself and earn your pands sterling in peace.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by justwise(m): 9:58pm On Mar 26, 2016
thewatcher2020:

God bless you for this post. so many of them don't even paint the picture as it is. Let's be clear on this- THE WHITE MAN DOESN'T RESPECT YOU, HE is JUST BEING TOLERANT OF YOUR PRESENCE IN HIS COUNTRY. No matter the smiles and facial expression of happiness, those people gonna forever see you as a semi-human. Most people just sit down there and talk about quality of life in here. I laugh. Your psychological well being isn't distorted when a sales attendant follows you about inside the shop? Even when you know you've got more money to buy stuffs inside more than the regular white guy inside? When police pulls you over for no damnnn reason, just to ask you for your ID? Look, I'd say it here and forever, Until when an African from Nigeria sees Kenya, Senegal, Mali, Burkinafaso and the rest countries as the destination "abroad" and same for African countries, we shall forever remain 2ndclass citizens. Keep living in denial, the rest of you. I make money here but every fucc.cking day, I feel like I don't belong here. I wake up and wanna get through the day as fast as possible. Painful thing some fucking guys would quit banking jobs in nigeria to become dish washers for these skinheads here!

..and we all love each other in Nigeria abi? It's peaceful, Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa all cohabiting?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by thewatcher2020: 1:04am On Mar 27, 2016
pansophist:

Apt! Though personal experiences may differ but FACT remains the same. You've nailed it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by thewatcher2020: 1:07am On Mar 27, 2016
justwise:

..and we all love each other in Nigeria abi? It's peaceful, Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa all cohabiting?
What's my business with love. I don't care about anybody loving or hating. You ever heard "If you can't respect me, please don't disrespect me"? Just so we clear on this, we aint talking no love here, you can't force that. I would never go out of my way to disrespect someone just because I hate them. Peace.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by thewatcher2020: 1:16am On Mar 27, 2016
justwise:

Talking about "love". That is entirely a different subject. The keyword in your highlighted text of my earlier submission is "Respect".
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by thewatcher2020: 1:20am On Mar 27, 2016
obiaguna:

But you are still there abi.. Enduring all the insults and racial slurs, abi
Trust me, once I'm able to save up to $1 million. I'd be back in Nigeria in no time. There are Nigerian Professionals here worth over $10 million but hey they love it in here. To each... his own.
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by justwise(m): 6:15am On Mar 27, 2016
thewatcher2020:

Trust me, once I'm able to save up to $1 million. I'd be back in Nigeria in no time. There are Nigerian Professionals here worth over $10 million but hey they love it in here. To each... his own.

I have seen loads of people like you before, hypocrites, 2faced individuals..they complain bitterly, wave race card but NEVER look for the next available flight to Nigeria.

Why not return back to Nigeria to get some respect from your country men and women and save that $1 million?

Listen to yourself...I want to save $1 million before going home...in your dreams dude.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by CookieBrown: 10:41am On Mar 27, 2016
Sacluxpaint:
I have lived abroad, in Singapore and London, not visit. Nigeria at the end of the day is where the money at, if only you open your eyes and see. Fine they have better standard of living, but Dangote, Tony elumelu, Mike adenuga, linda ikeji are not fools living here.

What money? You mean by corrupt practices? Loot sharing , government contract monopolization? Do you know how the above listed people made their wealth? Sure there's money in this country but how many rich folks earn wealth in a legitimate way?
Read your signature again, it's talking about you selling affordable U.S houses to Nigerians with your phone number listed and yet you argue Nigeria is where the money at? I quoted your signature in this post because i know you might try to change it after reading this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by Nobody: 11:03am On Mar 27, 2016
CookieBrown:

What money? You mean by corrupt practices? Loot sharing , government contract monopolization? Do you know how the above listed people made their wealth? Sure there's money in this country but how many rich folks earn wealth in a legitimate way?
Read your signature again, it's talking about you selling affordable U.S houses to Nigerians with your phone number listed and yet you argue Nigeria is where the money at? I quoted your signature in this post because i know you might try to change it after reading this.
Oga i have nothing to hide, my transactions are legitimate. I sleep with two eyes closed. My signature still remains.
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by Nobody: 11:03am On Mar 27, 2016
CookieBrown:

Oga i have nothing to hide, my transactions are legitimate. I sleep with two eyes closed. My signature still remains.
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by thewatcher2020: 11:05am On Mar 27, 2016
pansophist:

Oga abeg calm down na, no take online forum this serious. You go still surely drink beer with am if una eventually jam one day. Cool down ma guy.

Bro, I don't insult people. when I sense any level of insult coming my way, I switch directions. This man or boy or re.tarrd intentionally went out of his zones just to disrespect me? God!!!! I wish I could lay hands on him right now. I would never insult anyone first in this life, it's a privilege I'd conferred on every human no matter how permitted the insult would seem. This dude is very fond of this bull.shit I just want to play this game with him too, let's see how far we can drag ourselves.

I'm very sorry for not listening to your word of wisdom Sir. Please don't take offence. I come in peace.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by CookieBrown: 11:13am On Mar 27, 2016
thewatcher2020:

God bless you for this post. so many of them don't even paint the picture as it is. Let's be clear on this- THE WHITE MAN DOESN'T RESPECT YOU, HE is JUST BEING TOLERANT OF YOUR PRESENCE IN HIS COUNTRY. No matter the smiles and facial expression of happiness, those people gonna forever see you as a semi-human. Most people just sit down there and talk about quality of life in here. I laugh. Your psychological well being isn't distorted when a sales attendant follows you about inside the shop? Even when you know you've got more money to buy stuffs inside more than the regular white guy inside? When police pulls you over for no damnnn reason, just to ask you for your ID? Look, I'd say it here and forever, Until when an African from Nigeria sees Kenya, Senegal, Mali, Burkinafaso and the rest countries as the destination "abroad" and same for African countries, we shall forever remain 2ndclass citizens. Keep living in denial, the rest of you. I make money here but every fucc.cking day, I feel like I don't belong here. I wake up and wanna get through the day as fast as possible. Painful thing some fucking guys would quit banking jobs in nigeria to become dish washers for these skinheads here!

Why don't you simply hop on a plane and return back to Nigeria? Assuming all you said was true. The problem with Africans who think like you is they suffer from some kind of complex. Are you the only African in America? Did you suffer as much as the African American who went through 400 years(not sure) of slavery? Yet most don't nag like you and many other Africans there succeed and boost the Nigerian economy immensely, yes! The same Nigeria that gave them nothing to begin with.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by CookieBrown: 11:25am On Mar 27, 2016
Sacluxpaint:

I am not your ''oga'', i am your fellow country man, and even if i disagree with you, i still respect your opinion. Why advice Nigerians about staying home and making money locally while at the same time offering them houses in the U.S for 10 million naira? Don't you see the contradiction?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by Nobody: 11:33am On Mar 27, 2016
CookieBrown:

I am not your ''oga'', i am your fellow country man, and even if i disagree with you, i still respect your opinion. Why advice Nigerians about staying home and making money locally while at the same time offering them houses in the U.S for 10 million naira? Don't you see the contradiction?

It's a matter of choice, no contradiction. Any investment in property always yields worldwide . It's just that I got involved in this one. Besides it's not the only venture I am into. There are many legitimate businessmen in Nigeria. Just open your eyes brother. You can live a better life than those that wash plates abroad.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Look Of Onitsha Lagos Park [pics] Is Willie Really Working??? / Sokoto Corper Shares Her Experience With Max Air / Overspeeding Driver Loses Control & Dies In Umuahia (Disturbing Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.