Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,878 members, 7,817,586 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad (34841 Views)

Why Nigerians Are Stranded In Russia After Being Scammed By Fraudsters / Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home / These Are The Best Countries You Should Consider If You Want To Live Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by thewatcher2020: 11:34am On Mar 27, 2016
CookieBrown:

Why don't you simply hop on a plane and return back to Nigeria? Assuming all you said was true. The problem with Africans who think like you is they suffer from some kind of complex. Are you the only African in America? Did you suffer as much as the African American who went through 400 years(not sure) of slavery? Yet most don't nag like you and many other Africans there succeed and boost the Nigerian economy immensely, yes! The same Nigeria that gave them nothing to begin with.

1. Why don't you simply hop on a plane and return back to Nigeria?
I was working in Nigeria before leaving. The money I spent on diesel alone was so damn crazy because when it comes to "Light" I don't joke with it. Hence, part of the reason I can't hop on the next plane- Economic reason. My monthly earnings was no longer funding my power needs. Why work from 9-5 everyday and ask my ab.oki to "off" Gen by 12 and I'd sleep inside heat? Hence the reason for leaving Nigeria to a better location- Temporarily.
I advice anyone, if you can get out of the country please do, but don't come here and be washing plates after leaving a banking job behind in Nigeria.

2. The problem with Africans who think like you is they suffer from some kind of complex.
Complex? No. It isn't. I tell you something, If you make a lot of money and you stop looking forward to the next day, trust me You are not living. Forget it, I've got friends, fellow professionals, people of diverse ethnic background. My close pal, a Spaniard once told me "I just wanna get out of this place once Catalunya becomes fully official! Do you understand where i'm coming from? This is a white guy! He doesn't feel as being a part of this society. it isn't complex. Trust me. I TRAVEL a lot. A Nigerian friend once said "All these money you spend travelling and all why not..." I hushed him. I travel just to clear my head regularly.

3. Are you the only African in America? Did you suffer as much as the African American who went through 400 years(not sure) of slavery? Yet most don't nag like you.

Lol. I speak for myself ONLY. I can't hold brief for others. These people are very nice- strictly business. I'd leave you with an excerpt from The movie- The Last Don.

"The Don: I Love America.

Girgio (The Don's first son) : Pop, I Love America too- Strictly for business!"

Did anyone ask Giorgio to relocate to Sicilly, his ancestral home? No. So people migrate for different reasons. I am free to express my opinion on whatever experience I must have received in various countries.

6 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by CookieBrown: 11:49am On Mar 27, 2016
thewatcher2020:

1. Why don't you simply hop on a plane and return back to Nigeria?
I was working in Nigeria before leaving. The money I spent on diesel alone was so damn crazy because when it comes to "Light" I don't joke with it. Hence, part of the reason I can't hop on the next plane- Economic reason. My monthly earnings was no longer funding my power needs. Why work from 9-5 everyday and ask my ab.oki to "off" Gen by 12 and I'd sleep inside heat? Hence the reason for leaving Nigeria to a better location- Temporarily.
I advice anyone, if you can get out of the country please do, but don't come here and be washing plates after leaving a banking job behind in Nigeria.

2. The problem with Africans who think like you is they suffer from some kind of complex.
Complex? No. It isn't. I tell you something, If you make a lot of money and you stop looking forward to the next day, trust me You are not living. Forget it, I've got friends, fellow professionals, people of diverse ethnic background. My close pal, a Spaniard once told me "I just wanna get out of this place once Catalunya becomes fully official! Do you understand where i'm coming from? This is a white guy! He doesn't feel as being a part of this society. it isn't complex. Trust me. I TRAVEL a lot. A Nigerian friend once said "All these money you spend travelling and all why not..." I hushed him. I travel just to clear my head regularly.

3. Are you the only African in America? Did you suffer as much as the African American who went through 400 years(not sure) of slavery? Yet most don't nag like you.

Lol. I speak for myself ONLY. I can't hold brief for others. These people are very nice- strictly business. I'd leave you with an excerpt from The movie- The Last Don.

"The Don: I Love America.

Girgio (The Don's first son) : Pop, I Love America too- Strictly for business!"

Did anyone ask Giorgio to relocate to Sicilly, his ancestral home? No. So people migrate for different reasons. I am free to express my opinion on whatever experience I must have received in various countries.

Great response. Am glad you speak for yourself and really appreciate what you said about leaving a bank job in Nigeria to dish wash in North America, that might help most who relocate for the wrong reasons.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by Nobody: 12:06pm On Mar 27, 2016
pls even na plate u dey wash for us stay put there we need only constant remittance of the green back to Nigeria ,we are too much in Nigeria chasing few openings and business pls for god sake if u dey Americas or Europe just send money home to build house and invest ....3.6 trillion dollars budget of the usa is almost 900 trillion naira while our budget is 5 trillion naira....pls don't come back oh wash plate, clean toilet guard job any but just remain to send money home and improve ur self

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by CookieBrown: 12:11pm On Mar 27, 2016
Sacluxpaint:

It's a matter of choice, no contradiction. Any investment in property always yields worldwide . It's just that I got involved in this one. Besides it's not the only venture I am into. There are many legitimate businessmen in Nigeria. Just open your eyes brother. You can live a better life than those that wash plates abroad.

Oh dear! The wash plates and dead body hearsay again. How many nigerians have you seen, with your own eyes , in America washing dishes? Ever heard about the poles? mexicans? russians? romanians?

Personally i knew two nigerian college students dish washing in school, to support their education, hopefully by now they graduated and will be working at a much better job, is that really such a bad deal? Do u think all Nigerians in North America are dish washers?

In this life, being true to your own words is what matters the most. How can anyone take you serious when u tell them to stay back home and make money and yet you want to make money of these same people by selling U.S houses to them at 10 million Naira a piece? The same U.S you warn them about, how does that help your business? Am sorry but i can't take you seriously, best of luck in your business.
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by momoyama: 2:48pm On Mar 27, 2016
CookieBrown:

Oh dear! The wash plates and dead body hearsay again. How many nigerians have you seen, with your own eyes , in America washing dishes? Ever heard about the poles? mexicans? russians? romanians?

Personally i knew two nigerian college students dish washing in school, to support their education, hopefully by now they graduated and will be working at a much better job, is that really such a bad deal? Do u think all Nigerians in North America are dish washers?

In this life, being true to your own words is what matters the most. How can anyone take you serious when u tell them to stay back home and make money and yet you want to make money of these same people by selling U.S houses to them at 10 million Naira a piece? The same U.S you warn them about, how does that help your business? Am sorry but i can't take you seriously, best of luck in your business.

The fact is that Nigeria only has a chance of succeeding if more Nigerians stay home and make their contributions there.
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by RedCapChief(m): 10:03am On May 29, 2016
pansophist:

Wow, your post made me retrospect about the poignant experience of being black in white land.

You know, its psychologically comforting to walk into a classroom, enter a bus, a shopping mall or any public places without the burden of being the odd one. Living in a foreign society, you carry the baggage of fighting stereotype, proving yourself, thinking your job refusal was due to your hue, and your rude boss treats you differently because of his hidden prejudice towards your kind.

After your brain has been exhausted by the vorfreude andrenaline rush of endorphines associated with migration, it begins to dawn on you that truly, there is no place like home. Social ostracism seems to be the norm for many immigrants, and it seems like there are seeds in the Afro culture that is fundamentally missing in many culture such as empathy, inclusiveness and has a morbid obsession for competition, which makes it extremely difficult to feel at home, especially in a culture with a foundational condescending view on African.

Before moving abroad, I never knew that a mundane thing as skin colour would be the determinant on how I will be perceived, treated and covertly affect direction of my economical position. Just like how I see different skin colours of people in Nigeria and never treat them differently, the opposite is true in many foreign countries. Standard of living is surely very good in the west, but its very unsatisfying for someone that is well breed in the African system communality, and you many times find yourself retrospecting about your past life at home, with all its pleasant memories.

many of the facile comments on this thread portrays inexperience of living abroad, especially if you are a conscious African. Where you are merely tolerated, so as to convince themselves and proof to the world that they ain't racist and got nothing about you. But in reality, your kind if filled within the lower hierarchy of the socio-economical ladder. Admittedly, you will find many black people in top position, but this doesn't invalidate the conventional truth, just like a broken clock is correct twice a day.

To sum it up, if material wealth and comfort is all you crave for, then surely, the west is for you. If you crave for something deep, meaningful and celestial, then relatively, its not for you. if you believe that life will be heaven after you moved abroad, then you probably will end of being a victim of the popular ''grass is greener on the other side'' maxim.

To be black and conscious in the west is to be in a constant state of rage." – James Baldwin
This is so on point!

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by Ugosample(m): 8:28am On Sep 30, 2016
pansophist:

Wow, your post made me retrospect about the poignant experience of being black in white land.

You know, its psychologically comforting to walk into a classroom, enter a bus, a shopping mall or any public places without the burden of being the odd one. Living in a foreign society, you carry the baggage of fighting stereotype, proving yourself, thinking your job refusal was due to your hue, and your rude boss treats you differently because of his hidden prejudice towards your kind.

After your brain has been exhausted by the vorfreude andrenaline rush of endorphines associated with migration, it begins to dawn on you that truly, there is no place like home. Social ostracism seems to be the norm for many immigrants, and it seems like there are seeds in the Afro culture that is fundamentally missing in many culture such as empathy, inclusiveness and has a morbid obsession for competition, which makes it extremely difficult to feel at home, especially in a culture with a foundational condescending view on African.

Before moving abroad, I never knew that a mundane thing as skin colour would be the determinant on how I will be perceived, treated and covertly affect direction of my economical position. Just like how I see different skin colours of people in Nigeria and never treat them differently, the opposite is true in many foreign countries. Standard of living is surely very good in the west, but its very unsatisfying for someone that is well breed in the African system communality, and you many times find yourself retrospecting about your past life at home, with all its pleasant memories.

many of the facile comments on this thread portrays inexperience of living abroad, especially if you are a conscious African. Where you are merely tolerated, so as to convince themselves and proof to the world that they ain't racist and got nothing about you. But in reality, your kind if filled within the lower hierarchy of the socio-economical ladder. Admittedly, you will find many black people in top position, but this doesn't invalidate the conventional truth, just like a broken clock is correct twice a day.

To sum it up, if material wealth and comfort is all you crave for, then surely, the west is for you. If you crave for something deep, meaningful and celestial, then relatively, its not for you. if you believe that life will be heaven after you moved abroad, then you probably will end of being a victim of the popular ''grass is greener on the other side'' maxim.

To be black and conscious in the west is to be in a constant state of rage." – James Baldwin

What do you mean by conscious African?
please explain that to me.

BTW, I don't pity black people for our travails because we are too stupid to know that we have to see each other as the same, not trying to struggle/feel superior to other blacks.

In your example, which I agree with, a Norwegian can move to the United States and blend in, as long as the person is white, even a white person from Zimbo (Zimbabwe/South Africa) who is white will be accepted,

But for black people
An Igbo man moved to Lagos, or a Hausa man moves to Onitsha and he will be constantly reminded that he does NOT belong here, and the feelings of superiority will always come in (like some dimwits in Lagos shouting respect your "hosts" and be grateful to them)
This is within a country, and I bet situations like this is common across SSA countries.

Now let us move to the Continent Level.
A Nigerian/Congolese moves to say, SA and is hated by his own African brother down there so much thst they even lynch them in Xenophobic attacks, when they don't dare touch white people who has oppressed them for centuries.

Crossing the Atlantic to America, an African Immigrant is not only discriminated against by some whites, but even Afro Americans too, who feel superior to those who came from here.

If this is not a case of a messed up race,

Thats just a digression from the main topic.
But how can we be reckoned with as a people when we have this type of problem as black people?

Food for thought.
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by pansophist(m): 10:50am On Apr 23, 2017
ugosample,

What you said may be true, albeit, it's a human thing. Humans are territorial beings, and this animalistic trait has been at the core of our evolutionary hardwiring for centuries. Furthermore, some of the most horrible structural discrimination against the ''other'' was done by Europeans, the recent which are the first and second world wars. I am not justifying horrible treatment within Africans, but tribalism and xenophobia against others are not something Africans have a monopoly on and even still, Africans display such at an amateur level.

I live in the Netherlands and it is not a news that eastern and central European countries do the dirtiest jobs and are looked down upon, and yes, they are white. Specifically, you may google racism against Poles in the UK and tons of article will emerge, central EU countries are routinely victims of hate crimes up til today from their fellow European brethren, so please, do not cherry pick and extrapolating discriminating acts as something fundamentally African while praising the other. It is wrong, to lightly put. You mentioned America, which further disservices your whole post. It is no news that America is a bleeped up place in terms of ethnic relations, and a headquarter of discrimination up till this very day.

If the Europeans you praised are the beacon of hospitality, then why is it applied selectively? why are African Americans and Latino still at the bottom of the economic ladder? or maybe I should also remind you that the Irish, Polish, Italian were institutionally discriminated until they were considered white, and could eat from the master's table. Lastly, to fully understand the nuances and interconnectedness of ethnic and racial relations, a bit knowledge of history is instrumental in dissecting and analyzing past scenarios, to avoid making wrong conclusions.
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by Ugosample(m): 11:43am On Apr 23, 2017
pansophist:
ugosample,

What you said may be true, albeit, it's a human thing. Humans are territorial beings, and this animalistic trait has been at the core of our evolutionary hardwiring for centuries. Furthermore, some of the most horrible structural discrimination against the ''other'' was done by Europeans, the recent which are the first and second world wars. I am not justifying horrible treatment within Africans, but tribalism and xenophobia against others are not something Africans have a monopoly on and even still, Africans display such at an amateur level.

I live in the Netherlands and it is not a news that eastern and central European countries do the dirtiest jobs and are looked down upon, and yes, they are white. Specifically, you may google racism against Poles in the UK and tons of article will emerge, central EU countries are routinely victims of hate crimes up til today from their fellow European brethren, so please, do not cherry pick and extrapolating discriminating acts as something fundamentally African while praising the other. It is wrong, to lightly put. You mentioned America, which further disservices your whole post. It is no news that America is a bleeped up place in terms of ethnic relations, and a headquarter of discrimination up till this very day.

If the Europeans you praised are the beacon of hospitality, then why is it applied selectively? why are African Americans and Latino still at the bottom of the economic ladder? or maybe I should also remind you that the Irish, Polish, Italian were institutionally discriminated until they were considered white, and could eat from the master's table. Lastly, to fully understand the nuances and interconnectedness of ethnic and racial relations, a bit knowledge of history is instrumental in dissecting and analyzing past scenarios, to avoid making wrong conclusions.

Well noted....

But I will counter your points in due time, for I'm occupied ATM

Watch out for this space
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by Theophinio(m): 10:17am On Apr 29, 2017
pansophist:
ugosample,

Sir i sent you a mail
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by pansophist(m): 9:40pm On May 24, 2017
Ugosample:

Well noted....

But I will counter your points in due time, for I'm occupied ATM

Watch out for this space

It's over a month now, you never counter my points lol. I de watch you with 3D
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by Ugosample(m): 3:27am On Jul 23, 2017
Nihilist:
I think that Life Abroad is better because Nigerians just have no chill.

The last time I was in Nigeria two things happened to remind me of why I'm happy to live away from that country of opportunists

1. We just arrived at MMIA and we're queuing up to at the immigration/customs desk. One elderly woman went to cut in at the front of the queue ahead of a young guy man who obviously resisted. She started abusing him and asking if he couldn't see she was an elder, and that if she cut in, doesn't he have respect? Etc. I could see that she was holding a British Passport and I'm sure she knew that she couldn't try that BS in the country she just came from- Yet here she was, Iya Arugbo turned Gangster Mama...and she hadn't even officially checked in to the country yet!

No Chill.

2. I went to my local bank branch to aclimate my dormant account and apply for an ATM card. Whilst at the customer service desk, everybody refused to Queue and literally just surrounded the desk. Anybody who knows the former oceanic bank at Fagba railway would understand what I mean.
Anyway I stood there patiently, waiting for a gap in the human wall to open up so that I could at least be served, when the customer service advisor announced that the computer had stopped working and we would all have to wait for the IT technician to come from another branch to fix.
Being from an IT background myself, I offered to, and was able to identify the problem and actually got the issue fixed. Before I could even benefit from the fruit of my own labour, I was promptly chanced by an opportunistic woman who had clearly seen me fixing the damn machine. Other customers abused the woman, but she refused to back down. It was only when the customer advisor refused to serve her until she joined the back of the queue that she piped low.

No chill.

That's why I love living 'in abroad'

I really no get power for gragra

EDIT: the post was initially hidden by a mod for no reason at all. I had to post two queries asking why it was hidden. This post was then unhidden, whilst my queries were.. no explanation was given, no apology tendered.

Absolutely no chill at all.

Very interesting indeed
Re: Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad by AlphaStyles(m): 9:54am On Sep 02, 2018
Internet,online jobs,easy toasting of girls lolz grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Bad State Of Mile 2-Tincan Road That Lagos State Govt Will Be Repairing / Pictures Ten-Lane Idongesit Nkanga Avenue In Akwa Ibom / Arik Passengers Use Hand-Fan On Abuja Flight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.