Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,041 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Picture Of The First 30 Officers Of The Nigerian Army - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Picture Of The First 30 Officers Of The Nigerian Army (13205 Views)

The First 30 Nigerian Military Officers, June 1959 (Throwback Photo) / New Roles For Army And Police Officers Of Igbo Origin Under Buhari - Video / Wanted Officers Of Nigeria Custom Submits Self For Investigation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of The First 30 Officers Of The Nigerian Army by Lovelynature(m): 12:26pm On Mar 26, 2016
Nigeria is yet to recover from the impact this group made on her
Re: Picture Of The First 30 Officers Of The Nigerian Army by Nobody: 12:31pm On Mar 26, 2016
OfoIgbo:

Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna would have been retired generals of the Nigerian army, if they had chosen to adopt the Ogundipe code and runaway-siddon-look.
The wetie troubles in the west which was being supervised and implemented by Sardauna and his few Yoruba allies would have carried on, if the young majors had opted to just go for their military salaries and the stability of their careers. A number of these officers were Igbos, and yet they ignored the suspicions of the two southern groups to come to the aid of mainly the Yorubas who were already experiencing the evil plans of northerners
Every Igboman of the current generation now wishes they had settled for their salaries and careers, and perhaps by now, there would have been up to 3 or 4 Nigerian presidents of Igbo extraction.

I will also like to know the origins of the distrust between the yorubas and the SS that caused the betrayal of 28th March 2015. And please don't come up with that already worn out story of GEJ being corrupt. We all know of a Yoruba president that was more corrupt than GEJ.
Today the country is ravaged by herdsmen and Transparency Intrrnational just recently listed Nigeria as the most corrupt nation, all because of the cowardly decision to betray a southern president out of jealousy for any southern group that is progressing. Generations willd remember this

You may not know it now but Yorubas are in a deep pit at the moment
Nzeogwu and his fellow coup plotters are not heroes to me. In fact, their actions on the 15th of January, 1966, was the beginning of the many errors that have now defied all solutions. I was not around then, but I have spent time reading books about that era to draw an inference that if the January boys had not interfered the way they did, it would have been an earlier Arab spring in the West. As regards the 2015 elections, I don't believe there was a gang up against GEJ. He won the constitutionally required 25% vote cast in every state in the Southwest. In fact, he won in Ekiti and the election was very close in Lagos, Tinubu's state. So, how was that a betrayal? Could you kindly expatiate on the deep pit that the Yorubas are in?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Picture Of The First 30 Officers Of The Nigerian Army by PresidentT(m): 12:46pm On Mar 26, 2016
Ok. Thanks for the info. I'd thought he was commissioned about the same time with Emeka.
Cheers!
gartamanta:

Olufemi Olutoye was commissioned as an officer in 1960 along with Obasunjo and Nzeogwu. This picture was 1959, a year before that.
Re: Picture Of The First 30 Officers Of The Nigerian Army by Nobody: 12:59pm On Mar 26, 2016
AyakaDunukofia:

At the end of the day we will all die. How we would be remembered is much more important.

Ogundipe died in infamy barely five years after he would have written his name in gold and honor, dead of alive. You see what I mean?
How people are remembered differs. Ogundipe to you should have died a needless death. To me, he did what any officer in his shoes would have done. Ojukwu, some years later, also took a cue from this and left Biafra to avoid a needless death. Was he also a coward?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Picture Of The First 30 Officers Of The Nigerian Army by Nobody: 1:02pm On Mar 26, 2016
AyakaDunukofia:

At the end of the day we will all die. How we would be remembered is much more important.

Ogundipe died in infamy barely five years after he would have written his name in gold and honor, dead of alive. You see what I mean?

Ironsi who had all the power and was made to kneel down and dig his own grave before being riddled with bullets but you want his deputy who was not in control of the rebels to assume leadership. Do you think this is a kind of video game?
Six months earlier when Nzeogwu and his buddies had already been successful in killing the prime minister why didn't he simply march to Lagos and become the head of state?
When Murtala was killed do you think Obasanjo simply strolled to Dodan barracks and become the head of state?
What about the first president of the Republic, Azikiwe who heard about an impending coup and promptly took to his heels? He remained outside even when the Commonwealth heads of government meeting was supposed to hold in Lagos. Would you say Azikiwe died in infamy?

3 Likes

Re: Picture Of The First 30 Officers Of The Nigerian Army by OfoIgbo: 1:12pm On Mar 26, 2016
bejeiodus:
There was nothing, I repeat, nothing that any Southern officer could have done to alter the resolve of the Northern soldiers. Ojukwu was safely in Onitsha far beyond the reach of the coup plotters and was urging Ogundipe to assume leadership of the country though he knew how suicidal it was. Self preservation, my friend, is the first law of survival. That era was a dog eat dog era. If Ogundipe had acted otherwise, he would have paid with his life.

There was nothing anyone could have done about the Nzeogwu coup(cowardly position), until Ironsi, Nwawo, Ojukwu scuttled it (brave position).

Already, Ojukwu would not pledge loyalty to Gowon. The sad thing wss that Ogundipe already had a gilt edged opportunity of asserting his authority by appointing Yoruba officer as the caretaker governor of western Nigeria, until the whereabouts of Fajuyi's known.

HE WHO DARES WINS.

All Ogundipe needed to do was to go into hiding in Lagos and establish just a single telephone line with which he could reach eastern and midwestern region,or travel to Enugu. He would have received words of loyalty from Eastern, Midwestern, Western and Lagos regions.

Look at the way Nyesom Wike, the Ikwerre-Igbo governor dealt with a combination of Buhari, Amaechi, the army, police and INEC in the past election. Bear in mind that Wike is just a civilian with no unit of the army to rely on. He who dares wins. All that is needed is a good amount of bravery, and adequate planning.

Ogundipe remains a huge disappointment and coward extraordinaire
Re: Picture Of The First 30 Officers Of The Nigerian Army by AyakaDunukofia: 2:12pm On Mar 26, 2016
bejeiodus:
How people are remembered differs. Ogundipe to you should have died a needless death. To me, he did what any officer in his shoes would have done. Ojukwu, some years later, also took a cue from this and left Biafra to avoid a needless death. Was he also a coward?

Mind you, we are talking about soldiers and not civilians. To the contrary, Ojukwu and Ironsi accepted and took up the responsibilities that fell upon their shoulders. And that is what soldiering is all about! You must be seen to have put in your best at all times. Did Femi Ogundipe put his best?

Ojukwu, as a head of state, personally led the attack that repelled the federal army from Oguta. Go to the National Museum at Umuahia. After your visit, you will conclude that it was an insult on Ojukwu for you to have joined him with a cowardly minion as Ogundipe.

The truth is that cowards are born. And Ogundipe was one, not because he was s soldier. Gowon was equally in that category. A C-in-C who never paid a single visit to his own soldiers at the battle front for THREE good years? And to the consternation of Awolowo, a civilian, who braved his way to pay visits to the men on the front line. I repeat, cowards are born.

And Only cowards differ in their remembrance of cowardly acts!

1 Like

Re: Picture Of The First 30 Officers Of The Nigerian Army by oraniks007: 11:33am On Jan 04, 2017
I didn't see emmanuel ifeajuna and Chukwuma kaduna nzeogwu(the bad niggas) in the photo. The days of gallant men.
Re: Picture Of The First 30 Officers Of The Nigerian Army by babyfaceafrica: 11:54am On Jan 04, 2017
So?
Re: Picture Of The First 30 Officers Of The Nigerian Army by zendy: 12:37pm On Jan 04, 2017
Ogundipe was a disgrace. He towed the line of cowardice which so many of his highly placed fellow Yorubas such as Colonel Adebayo, Awolowo and Obasunjo would also tow.

"Dont do anything to make our masters the North slaughter us"
Re: Picture Of The First 30 Officers Of The Nigerian Army by Maghan37: 12:56pm On Jan 04, 2017
hinwazaka:

Nzeogwu and Ojukwu were progressive turncoats and saboteurs who were double dealing with the Awoists, Arewa pigs and Labour party wizards of the UK. Also, you need to check your history, without the help of the Anglo coalition, and Ojukwu's sabotaging betrayal, the Biafran ragtag army will have slaughtered and enslaved the oduduwa race for a 1000 years
In ur dreams. U Igbo's are so stupid DAT u fail to realise hw dumb u trully are because u are deceitful. When u finally realise d truth it will be too late.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of The First 30 Officers Of The Nigerian Army by ProudArewa: 1:42pm On Jan 04, 2017
Out of the first 30 officers commissioned in the NA only six were northerners but those useless Igbo officers staged a coup and killed four out of the six officers leaving behind Gowon and Akahan......

1 Like

Re: Picture Of The First 30 Officers Of The Nigerian Army by zendy: 3:01pm On Jan 04, 2017
ProudArewa:
Out of the first 30 officers commissioned in the NA only six were northerners but those useless Igbo officers staged a coup and killed four out of the six officers leaving behind Gowon and Akahan......

Wrong. Nothing happend to Usman Katsina. Also, non of the people in this picture were involved in the coup.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

'information On Buhari’s London Treatment Can’t Be Released' - Court / Fear Of Defeat Behind Buhari’s Refusal To Sign Electoral Act Amendment / PDM Candidate Asks Tribunal To Void Buhari’s Victory, Order Fresh Poll

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.