Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,068 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! (6805 Views)

Sokoto Govt Disbands Hisbah Commission / Hisbah Seizes Musical Instruments Used During Gov Tambuwal Daughter's Wedding / Kano Hisbah Board Destroys Beer Bottles (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by blaqoracle: 5:37am On May 31, 2016
suyamasta:
The Federal Republic of Nigeria is not a religious State even though it recognises the fact that citizens can choose to practice whichever religion they choose to!
I find it alarming and disturbing to see how some Northern States have chosen to implement Sharia which is a religious code in a State whose citizens are not all Muslims! This calls for worry because it is only leading to oppression, disharmony and social distraught! Especially when those who are also being arrested by the Hisbah police aren't Muslims!
Nigeria should not be held ransome by any religion, it is barbaric and anti-humanity to do so!
We should stop this madness now!
Nigeria is not Saudi Arabia neither are we an Islamic State! We are a people of diverse cultures and traditions!
Its very lowly to see how we have imported and imbibed other peoples religion and culture more than the original people themselves! Yet we have failed to imbibe technological advancement and productivity also!
Please O Ye Africans Know thyself!
stay clear from what you don't know.
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by suyamasta(m): 6:13am On May 31, 2016
blaqoracle:
stay clear from what you don't know.
u don baff?

1 Like

Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by suyamasta(m): 6:56am On May 31, 2016
MeAboki:

I have not overlooked anything, on the other hand you are the one who has chosen to repeatedly overlook the stark realities on the ground i.e. that Sharia is a constitutional right for Muslims (that is why nobody has been able to go to court and overturn it). States implementing it in the north are NOT committing any illegality (this belief continues to be only a figment of your own imagination) - learn to live with it.

You are again quite wrong on the issue of ban of alcohol in Kano; yes it is true the state banned the sale and consumption of alcohol but not under the Sharia Code.

Under the constitution, every state is given the right to enact laws passed through its House of Assembly as it deems fit based on its local peculiarities for the common good of its citizens, provided such law(s) does not conflict with the constitution. Kano State chose to use that process to ban alcohol in the state (not under Sharia as you wrongly assumed); much in the same way many states in America also banned alcohol during the prohibition years of the 1930s and Fashola banned smoking in public places within Lagos State.

You can also find similar examples on the issue of hijab (dress code) which you additionally raised - both locally and abroad:

The state of Florida in the USA banned that act of sagging i.e. wearing trousers so low exposing one's underwear, a fine of $500 or 50 hours community service is to be impose on offenders.
https://www.nairaland.com/1500858/florida-town-plans-ticket-women
Akwaihedi community in Nnewi South Local Government Area of Anambra State has allegedly passed a law against the wearing of trousers by women. Offenders will be fined N50,000.
http://thenationonlineng.net/women-wearing-trousers-to-pay-n50000-fine/
Fashola banned hijab in public schools; though the law was challenged but the courts upheld it.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/169658-court-upholds-ban-on-use-of-hijab-in-lagos-public-schools.html
The same Fshola again banned indecent dressing (miniskirts etc) among Lagos civil servants.
http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2014/02/20/fashola-bans-mini-skirts-other-attires/

From the above you see that Kano State was not acting against the norm or illegally when it passed the laws concerning alcohol and indecency on its citizens.

It is therefore better, sometimes to ask or research on your own rather than rely heavily on hearsay and sentiments (which is quite apparent in your case) instead of blindly jumping on the bandwagon and exposing your ignorance.

I would advise again that you do something about your comprehension because my earlier posts had already explicitly or implicitly addressed these issues - therefore making all this lengthy explanation totally unnecessary.

A myopic mind will never see beyond its nose! the examples which you have given are as bad as the reason for my choosing to open this thread! i have made the point here that im not against freedom of religion but i speak against trying to tactically include religious ideologies into political and legal lives of citizens that to the point where the states becoming (Islamic States) in Nigeria! Any sensible fellow will see that is very bad and spells doom for the future of a truly united Nigeria! It is clear how most Northern states are the most challenged in terms of human capital development which is as a result of poor education! leading to higher level of poverty and unemployment and how easy it was for most Northern youths to be radicalized into terrorism! focus on finding solutions rather than creating more problems

Religion is a relationship between man and God #shikena

2 Likes

Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by newbornmacho(m): 8:05am On May 31, 2016
fulanimafia:
Even though they seem to have managed to not encroach on the rights of other non-muslim citizens, you are right.

If Nigeria is a secular state, there is really no place for religious police. However it seems that the constitution allows it (or so it has been argued).
frankly I'm impressed at the balance of your post. Proves we can always find points of agreement if we jaw jaw rather than war war. Kudos
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by MeAboki(m): 5:58pm On May 31, 2016
suyamasta:
A myopic mind will never see beyond its nose! the examples which you have given are as bad as the reason for my choosing to open this thread! i have made the point here that im not against freedom of religion but i speak against trying to tactically include religious ideologies into political and legal lives of citizens that to the point where the states becoming (Islamic States) in Nigeria! Any sensible fellow will see that is very bad and spells doom for the future of a truly united Nigeria! It is clear how most Northern states are the most challenged in terms of human capital development which is as a result of poor education! leading to higher level of poverty and unemployment and how easy it was for most Northern youths to be radicalized into terrorism! focus on finding solutions rather than creating more problems

Religion is a relationship between man and God #shikena

I guarantee if you'd look into a mirror you'd see the reflection of a very myopic person.

My friend, you can't eat your cake and still have it; you started a thread against the Hisbah and Sharia, yet in the same breath claiming not to be against freedom of religion - LOL, what huge self contradiction, you can't be serious - who are you kidding?.

So far you have made baseless misconceived allegations against the Sharia system in Nigeria (e.g. Sharia being imposed on non-Muslims, alcohol ban in Kano being part of the Sharia law, dress code etc) which I have successfully addressed with specific examples and proven you wrong; instead of accepting defeat, you continue to remain in denial, arguing like a headless chicken while grappling at straws and trying to shift the goalpost by bringing in distant issues far from the central matter at hand.

You are simply incorrigible, in fact beyond redemption; I therefore have no more time to waste on someone like you- hopefully those following the thread would have seen the facts and arrived at the correct conclusion.
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by MeAboki(m): 6:09pm On May 31, 2016
SirVintageCock:
What Kano did when compared to other states isn't bad but this pics below are obviously very worrisome.
We have only one police force recognized by the Nigerian constitution. So what the hell are this

One question: what would you have to say about agencies created by states governments for a specific purposes e.g. LASTMA in Lagos with power of arrest, how is that different from Hisbah? - think out of the box, set your mind free and stop the bigotry.
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by SirVintageCock: 10:22pm On May 31, 2016
The major difference is the Islamic religious tenets that founded the Hisbah police. The law governing the establishment of LASTMA was not based on any religion or holy books.
MeAboki:

One question: what would you have to say about agencies created by states governments for a specific purposes e.g. LASTMA in Lagos with power of arrest, how is that different from Hisbah? - think out of the box, set your mind free and stop the bigotry.

2 Likes

Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by suyamasta(m): 10:23pm On May 31, 2016
MeAboki:

I guarantee if you'd look into a mirror you'd see the reflection of a very myopic person.

My friend, you can't eat your cake and still have it; you started a thread against the Hisbah and Sharia, yet in the same breath claiming not to be against freedom of religion - LOL, what huge self contradiction, you can't be serious - who are you kidding?.

So far you have made baseless misconceived allegations against the Sharia system in Nigeria (e.g. Sharia being imposed on non-Muslims, alcohol ban in Kano being part of the Sharia law, dress code etc) which I have successfully addressed with specific examples and proven you wrong; instead of accepting defeat, you continue to remain in denial, arguing like a headless chicken while grappling at straws and trying to shift the goalpost by bringing in distant issues far from the central matter at hand.

You are simply incorrigible, in fact beyond redemption; I therefore have no more time to waste on someone like you- hopefully those following the thread would have seen the facts and arrived at the correct conclusion.

I have validly made my point, i know you are mentally clowded by cognitive biases to not want to admit what the truth is, however i pray the day i fear do not come if this supremacist ideology of imposing ones religion is not halted soonest!
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by MeAboki(m): 10:23am On Jun 01, 2016
suyamasta:

I have validly made my point, i know you are mentally clowded by cognitive biases to not want to admit what the truth is, however i pray the day i fear do not come if this supremacist ideology of imposing ones religion is not halted soonest!

You are evidently talking about yourself, still going round and round in circles proving absolutely nothing; I challenge to prove any of the allegations you made against the implementation of the Sharia here in Nigeria or simply keep quiet.
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by MeAboki(m): 11:11am On Jun 01, 2016
SirVintageCock:
The major difference is the Islamic religious tenets that founded the Hisbah police. The law governing the establishment of LASTMA was not based on any religion or holy books.

Your are being disingenuous, shifting the goalpost by running away from the central principle of your argument.

Recall, your position against the Hisbah was due to its alleged constitutional illegality.

Your words: "We have only one police force recognized by the Nigerian constitution."

I therefore countered that argument by drawing your attention to the existence of several quasi -police establishments in many other states, citing LASTMA (with the power to arrest offenders) as a typical example.

The question now being: if would accept LASTMA (clearly complementing police work) then why not Hisbah; except as we all know its because of your bias against Islam - a bias that was clearly exhibited in your last post.
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by suyamasta(m): 12:29pm On Jun 01, 2016
MeAboki:

You are evidently talking about yourself, still going round and round in circles proving absolutely nothing; I challenge to prove any of the allegations you made against the implementation of the Sharia here in Nigeria or simply keep quiet.

You see the facts but choose to not SEE! Mental blindness is a very hard disease to cure! hardluck
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by MeAboki(m): 12:49pm On Jun 01, 2016
suyamasta:

You see the facts but choose to not SEE! Mental blindness is a very hard disease to cure! hardluck

Nonsense, what facts?
You mean baseless allegations that you still can't prove? - what a big failure.
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by suyamasta(m): 12:53pm On Jun 01, 2016
MeAboki:

Nonsense, what facts?
You mean baseless allegations that you still can't prove? - what a big failure.
Mumu no get cure sha!
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by SirVintageCock: 3:52pm On Jun 01, 2016
MeAboki:

Your are being disingenuous, shifting the goalpost by running away from the central principle of your argument.

Recall, your position against the Hisbah was due to its alleged constitutional illegality.

Your words: "We have only one police force recognized by the Nigerian constitution."

I therefore countered that argument by drawing your attention to the existence of several quasi -police establishments in many other states, citing LASTMA (with the power to arrest offenders) as a typical example.

The question now being: if would accept LASTMA (clearly complementing police work) then why not Hisbah; except as we all know its because of your bias against Islam - a bias that was clearly exhibited in your last post.
This is what your hisbah police is all about, now tell me whether LASTMA is has any religious penal code it is uplifting.
Stop arguing blinding and shooting yourself on the foot.

While the Kano State Hisbah Board appears to be the most prominent, available evidence indicates that there are hisbah operations in seven of the 12 northern states which have introduced Islamic penal codes. With respect to law enforcement activities generally, it would appear that the unsettled status of the hisbah resulted in the designation of the hisbah as acting in an advisory and complementary role to law enforcement agencies, especially the NPF. For example, in Bauchi State, hisbah activities are carried out pursuant to section 8(g) of the Bauchi State Shari’a Commission Law 2001, which empowers the Commission to recruit and control members of the hisbah. The Bauchi State Guidelines on the Formation Functions and Operations of the Hisbah Committees in Bauchi State outline hisbah activities as including:25

2.1.1 preaching, guidance and promotion of Islamic education;

2.1.2 resolution of conflicts and making peace between individuals, groups and communities without having to resort to courts;

2.1.3 uniting people of a particular community to solve their common problems related to moral issues, social welfare, youths unemployment, etc, so as to complement government activity;

2.1.4 assisting law enforcement agencies in preventing and combating crime and ensuring compliance with the Shari’a.

http://www.saflii.org/za/journals/AHRLJ/2014/12.html
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by MeAboki(m): 5:34pm On Jun 01, 2016
SirVintageCock:
This is what your hisbah police is all about, now tell me whether LASTMA is has any religious penal code it is uplifting.
Stop arguing blinding and shooting yourself on the foot.

While the Kano State Hisbah Board appears to be the most prominent, available evidence indicates that there are hisbah operations in seven of the 12 northern states which have introduced Islamic penal codes. With respect to law enforcement activities generally, it would appear that the unsettled status of the hisbah resulted in the designation of the hisbah as acting in an advisory and complementary role to law enforcement agencies, especially the NPF. For example, in Bauchi State, hisbah activities are carried out pursuant to section 8(g) of the Bauchi State Shari’a Commission Law 2001, which empowers the Commission to recruit and control members of the hisbah. The Bauchi State Guidelines on the Formation Functions and Operations of the Hisbah Committees in Bauchi State outline hisbah activities as including:25

2.1.1 preaching, guidance and promotion of Islamic education;

2.1.2 resolution of conflicts and making peace between individuals, groups and communities without having to resort to courts;

2.1.3 uniting people of a particular community to solve their common problems related to moral issues, social welfare, youths unemployment, etc, so as to complement government activity;

2.1.4 assisting law enforcement agencies in preventing and combating crime and ensuring compliance with the Shari’a.

http://www.saflii.org/za/journals/AHRLJ/2014/12.html

My God!
This is how some of you fail JAMB and end up blaming it on the village witch.

Pls where have I argued that Hisbah is not a religious organisation; the mere topic of this thread should be sufficient enough for anyone with common sense; my argument with you is still holds that you are discriminating against Hisbah (from amongst other quasi-police state organisations like LASTMA) simply because it is an Islamic religious organ (emphasis on Islamic), contrary to your earlier implied position that it was an unconstitutional duplication of the Nigerian police.

Uploading a link and providing a copy of the (Bauchi State) Hisbah guidelines does not in anyway validate or refute your contradictory position - if you still can't understand what I am saying, then kindly review all your posts, its possible you may have a very short memory.
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by SirVintageCock: 8:21pm On Jun 01, 2016
What exactly are you saying because I am utterly at a loss here.
Why would a religious police be used to arrest and prosecute people who are not believers of the said religion.
Tell me what the hisbah police are doing in the pics below. I won't degrade myself by engaging you with your versions of subtle insults. If you are no longer interested in my z"_ JAMB" lessons, kindly stop quoting me.
Thanks. .
MeAboki:

My God!
This is how some of you fail JAMB and end up blaming it on the village witch.

Pls where have I argued that Hisbah is not a religious organisation; the mere topic of this thread should be sufficient enough for anyone with common sense; my argument with you is still holds that you are discriminating against Hisbah (from amongst other quasi-police state organisations like LASTMA) simply because it is an Islamic religious organ (emphasis on Islamic), contrary to your earlier implied position that it was an unconstitutional duplication of the Nigerian police.

Uploading a link and providing a copy of the (Bauchi State) Hisbah guidelines does not in anyway validate or refute your contradictory position - if you still can't understand what I am saying, then kindly review all your posts, its possible you may have a very short memory.

Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by MeAboki(m): 11:45pm On Jun 01, 2016
SirVintageCock:
What exactly are you saying because I am utterly at a loss here.
Why would a religious police be used to arrest and prosecute people who are not believers of the said religion.
Tell me what the hisbah police are doing in the pics below. I won't degrade myself by engaging you with your versions of subtle insults. If you are no longer interested in my z"_ JAMB" lessons, kindly stop quoting me.
Thanks. .

Unfortunately, the more you post the more you seem to confirm my earlier suspicion that its possible you may be intellectually quite lazy; because the answer to your question had already been addressed among my previous posts - kindly therefore go back and review them carefully.
Most shockingly is the fact that you had already provided the answer yourself, in your last post, paragraph 2.1.4 (in your example of Bauchi State) Hisbah guidelines.

However, for the sake of clarity I shall try to assist you this one time:

The picture was showing (presumably Kano State) Hisbah carrying out its legitimate assignment of preventing crime against the state in line with the law prohibiting the sale and consumption of alcohol - much in the same way that LASTMA was empowered to assist the police against traffic offenders in Lagos state.
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by SirVintageCock: 2:24am On Jun 02, 2016
Stop your selective nonsense. How about the 2.1.1..... enforcement, preaching and promotion of Islamic education.? What happened to the sharia part of the one you quoted. You are a confirmed selective nonsense poster or maybe you also have a selective prejudice to the truth. Something which is obviously glaring for all to see. What i posted has Islam screaming all over it. How can something like that be allowed to flourish in a secular state like Nigeria and even have reasonable people supporting it? Do LASTMA has Islamic codes or Christian codes guiding their operations?

My friend, just shut it and stop forcing your sharia and Islamic penal codes down our throat in whatever guise.

I am done entertaining your rubbish. Ride along please.. .
MeAboki:

Unfortunately, the more you post the more you seem to confirm my earlier suspicion that its possible you may be intellectually quite lazy; because the answer to your question had already been addressed among my previous posts - kindly therefore go back and review them carefully.
Most shockingly is the fact that you had already provided the answer yourself, in your last post, paragraph 2.1.4 (in your example of Bauchi State) Hisbah guidelines.

However, for the sake of clarity I shall try to assist you this one time:

The picture was showing (presumably Kano State) Hisbah carrying out its legitimate assignment of preventing crime against the state in line with the law prohibiting the sale and consumption of alcohol - much in the same way that LASTMA was empowered to assist the police against traffic offenders in Lagos state.

1 Like

Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by MeAboki(m): 8:34am On Jun 02, 2016
SirVintageCock:
Stop your selective nonsense. How about the 2.1.1..... enforcement, preaching and promotion of Islamic education.? What happened to the sharia part of the one you quoted. You are a confirmed selective nonsense poster or maybe you also have a selective prejudice to the truth. Something which is obviously glaring for all to see. What i posted has Islam screaming all over it. How can something like that be allowed to flourish in a secular state like Nigeria and even have reasonable people supporting it? Do LASTMA has Islamic codes or Christian codes guiding their operations?

My friend, just shut it and stop forcing your sharia and Islamic penal codes down our throat in whatever guise.

I am done entertaining your rubbish. Ride along please.. .

Oh my God!
What a shameful display of low intelligence; for goodness sake read my posts very carefully before you reply: I have said it before and will say it again; I have never argued that the Hisbah is not an Islamic religious organ put in place by the Sharia states - get this straight and stop exposing your poor comprehension.

However, I felt obliged to counter your position that said the Hisbah was an unconstitutional substitution of the police; by citing other quasi - police organisations in many other states e.g. LASTMA in Lagos with the power of arrest being among them.
I therefore posited to you that by the same token, if you should consider Hisbah as illegal then you must equally consider the same for the said agencies like LASTMA because they are equally duplicating police work - why is this therefore so difficult to understand?

No, I was not in anyway selective in considering your question: you were clearly very specific with your question and I equally gave you a specific answer.

Recall, you uploaded a picture of some members of the Hisbah in action and asked me to explain what they were doing; which did by specifically referring to exactly only that portion of their guidelines which they were pictured actually carrying out - so what is your problem, why should you expect me to go beyond what you asked for? - If you were expecting more then there must be something seriously wrong with you.

Meanwhile, I have decided not to entertain you again because you are clearly quite below my level; pls go back and work on your comprehension (which seems to be alarmingly deficient) as I do not want to be guilty of further assisting you in embarrassing yourself more than you have already done - adieus.
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by SirVintageCock: 8:38am On Jun 02, 2016
I didn't read this. Stop quoting me.
Thanks.
MeAboki:

Oh my God!
What a shameful display of low intelligence; for goodness sake read my posts very carefully before you reply: I have said it before and will say it again; I have never argued that the Hisbah is not an Islamic religious organ put in place by the Sharia states - get this straight and stop exposing your poor comprehension.

However, I felt obliged to counter your position that said the Hisbah was an unconstitutional substitution of the police; by citing other quasi - police organisations in many other states e.g. LASTMA in Lagos with the power of arrest being among them.
I therefore posited to you that by the same token, if you should consider Hisbah as illegal then you must equally consider the same for the said agencies like LASTMA because they are equally duplicating police work - why is this therefore so difficult to understand?

No, I was not in anyway selective in considering your question: you were clearly very specific with your question and I equally gave you a specific answer.

Recall, you uploaded a picture of some members of the Hisbah in action and asked me to explain what they were doing; which did by specifically referring to exactly only that portion of their guidelines which they were pictured actually carrying out - so what is your problem, why should you expect me to go beyond what you asked for? - If you were expecting more then there must be something seriously wrong with you.

Meanwhile, I have decided not to entertain you again because you are clearly quite below my level; pls go back and work on your comprehension (which seems to be alarmingly deficient) as I do not want to be guilty of further assisting you in embarrassing yourself more than you have already done - adieus.
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by MeAboki(m): 8:49am On Jun 02, 2016
SirVintageCock:
I didn't read this. Stop quoting me.
Thanks.

Sshh! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by SirVintageCock: 8:52am On Jun 02, 2016
Yeah thats right!!! Let's agree to disagree
MeAboki:

Sshh! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by TheEclectic: 10:14am On Jun 02, 2016
medpren:
When Kanu was telling you that the muslim core north sees Sharia code as greater law than the constitution. Monkeys and Baboons in the zoo called him names.

Exactly
Re: Why Hisbah Police And Sharia Should Be Stopped Now! by suyamasta(m): 9:05pm On Jan 05, 2017
The earlier we stop this the better for us and our future!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Direct Primaries: APC Await Buhari's Decision As Tripartite Committee Deadlocked / Ortom Disintegrates Cabinet, Sends Names To Assembly For Replacement / Sanwo-Olu’s Endorsement By GAC Doesn’t Stop Other Aspirants - APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.