Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,077 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone (121689 Views)

Attention: Senior Engineers/ Supervisors/ Managers/ HR Reps / Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training / Download Free Petroleum Reservoir Simulation Software (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by 9ijaMan: 3:00pm On Apr 29, 2011
Hello!
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by coldwater(m): 9:58am On May 05, 2011
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by devmantic(m): 12:15am On May 18, 2011
Finally, I was offered admission to study Petroleum Engineering (M.Sc) @ TU Clausthal. Praise the Lord for me oh.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 2:20pm On May 18, 2011
@ devmantic

congrats!!

what course were u offered?
Have u started ur student visa arrangement?
Are you going to do a month pre -course? or you starting with the masters program proper
pls i will like to know how you went about your visa arrangement from the embassy

congrats once again cool
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by coldwater(m): 5:17pm On May 18, 2011
devmantic:

Finally, I was offered admission to study Petroleum Engineering (M.Sc) @ TU Clausthal. Praise the Lord for me oh.

Congrats!
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by wokemzine: 5:24pm On May 18, 2011
I am new in the house, pls i need ur help, i am planing on going to india for drilling, process control & instrumentation courses, but don't really know the best training institute for that. I have googled it, but keep seeing so many. im actually confused. Any helping nigerian with knowlegde of indian training institutes should pls assist me. & is it a wise idea, going to india for such courses?.
Thank you all,
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by devmantic(m): 9:37pm On May 18, 2011
@ coldwater, thanks,

@okeyz,

what course were u offered?
I was offered Petroleum Engineering with specialization in Reservoir Engineering

Have u started your student visa arrangement?
Nope, I am yet to receive the hard copy of my Admission letter though a scanned copy of it has being sent by email

Are you going to do a month pre -course? or you starting with the masters program proper
I will have to take an intensive 1-month german language course to help me interact with people in my locality but the program itself is in english. I am also to participate in a summer school programme that reviews every aspect of petroleum engineering and an exam is to be conducted at the end of the programme prior to the commencement of the M.Sc program.

pls i will like to know how you went about your visa arrangement from the embassy?
I will commence soon immediately the hard copy of my admission letter gets to me but I will surely disseminate the info u need concerning it as i progress towards that stage.

Thanks,
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by ademule89: 9:04am On May 24, 2011
Pls i'm a final year student of mining engineering, Federal University of Technology, Akure. I'm leavin school with a 2.2, i did my IT in laser engineering, i will like to work as a drilling engineer, please how do i go about it? Also i don't mind starting with a roustabout job or what other options do i have apart from solid minerals.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by hambim336: 10:38am On Jun 10, 2011
Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Oil rig interview questions

Best regards.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by ibudes: 10:39pm On Jun 13, 2011
Hello
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by ibudes: 11:08pm On Jun 13, 2011
Hello
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 7:18pm On Jun 15, 2011
@ ibude

its a good thing you are willing to start from the bottom , that has been the traditional way, but the real problem is that the rougneck jobs has been cornered by politicians who give these jobs out to their relations/friends,i know of somebody that read hotel management and is a rough neck for one local drilling company!!

The foreign coys are not willing to hire nigerians, they prefer to hire other nationals and bring them to work on nigerian waters, mostly fillipinos and indians, even the federal govt is not helping matters. the local content thing is a farce!!

well do not loose hope,

on the other hand, a friend of mine who recently relocated to alberta ,canada, got the same roughneck job without knowing anybody!!

he is even planning to take a 3 months course that will give him a drillers position and guess what? , he read botany !!

tales of two country , you  might say,
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by zmurda(m): 1:35pm On Jun 19, 2011
Okeyz,

I think any one can be a roustabout. It doesn't require any skills. In the UK and Americas, its for the people who don't have any skills. It is not for the faint hearted. Personally, I would not advise anyone to stay too long as a roustabout. I would advise people to get a degree or training to move up.

Ike, I am happy for you. At least you are willing to do hard work. Please don't make it your destination. Try to aspire to higher things. Make money as a roustabout, invest in trainings and education and move on. . . I have seen too many roustabouts stay on forever as roughnecks. This is good if that is what you want of course. . .

This is from a former driller who has moved on.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by ibudes: 8:37pm On Jun 19, 2011
Hello
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 7:51pm On Jun 20, 2011
@ Z-MURDA

OF Cos anybody can be a roughneck, its the lowest cadre in the drilling industry cos it requires little or no education just muscle to move and lift heavy load, that been said, i am talking based on the Nigeria context , where there is non -existent job let alone a rostabout job!!, if the job was available in nigeria we will not be screaming of local content, we are saying such jobs have been cornered by the powers that be , i know what i am talking about  cos i was in the same shoes with ibude some few years back searching for this elusive roustabout job which is difficult to come by, of cos from the address on your id u r resident in texas where roustabout jobs abound !! infact drilling companies there are having a hard time finding employees to mann their rigs let alone a roustabout job that is tasking.
But here Its a diffierent ball game everything is politicized ,its who you know that determines what u get, i know of guys that traveled out to get IADC well cap cert just to get a pass to the rig with their own money, which is not suppose to be so.

In an ideal situation a roustabout job should be a starting point for someone who is eager to work his way up the ladder in the drilling heriarchy, after some few months upgrade and move to the next level by doing some certain required exam for that position.
In my opinion, a GRADUATE , should not even vie for a roustabout job cos it is reserved for those that have less than minimum education required for such job but since the desired is not available, the available becomes the desired, which in this case is not even available---unless your father owns the company or is a senator.

thats just the way it is !!

@ibudes
personally i dont think i have a clue about getting such job in Nigeria, you can take a shot at the indigenous drilling coy and see if there can absorb u, it all still depends on if you know somebody there, well i dont want to dampen ur spirit, just talk to other professionals in the industry,who knows things might have changed for the better, if u are in port harcourt it will be a good idea to visit this drilling companies personally and show them what u can do or better still do a short course related to drilling , that can give u a start.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by devmantic(m): 11:42pm On Jun 22, 2011
Reservoir Engineering vs Drilling Engineering discipline

House, Which do you think is more favourable (quick way into the E & P Industry with the conventional benefits) to study?

I have noticed an increasing trend in the recruitment of drilling engineers all over the world and a constant or rather decreasing trend for jobs relating to reservoir engineering/management. Is it right for me to assume that the reason for these can be attributed to the use of supercomputers and reservoir simulation workstations which might have completely replaced the main tasks of a reservoir engineer while more potent expertise of a drilling engineer is needed on oilfield sites as there are yet no robots to replace them as at now? Your take on this will be highly appreciated.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 6:47pm On Jun 27, 2011
hi dev
how far are u settled now?
fill me in

Reservoir is still viable, even if there are latest software to enhance the job process, you still have to know the basics before you can use the software , or else nothing will make sense to you, when i was doing my national service , we used eclipse 2 for reservoir simulations then it was the in thing! now its obsolete!!, we have to spend time on the library to even comprehend what the software is all about before we were even allowed to touch the mouse.
you have to keep updating yourself in the latest software but the basic fundamentals have to be there first and its not something you can read overnight, you have to play with real projects and scenerios, all the same reservoir has to do with - DATA's

no more no less, without data you cant drill.

it has also evolve as other discipline ,like subsea,asset management, reliance engineer management, e.t.c

its easier to become a driller by working your way up as a roughneck but in reservoir you have to put years of university education incorporated with hands on practicals, so
that,s just my 2 cedis's,

How did the interview(consulate office ) go?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by devmantic(m): 10:35pm On Jun 27, 2011
@ okeyz, thanks for your response.

Well, I am yet to have my interview but the scheduled date for it is close. I had to open a foreign bank account, pay the 8500euros and do some other things before apply for visa appointment. I will let u know of the outcome of the interview.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by surveycash(m): 8:01pm On Jul 01, 2011
Good day ALL,

I was about creating a Petroleum Engineers Forum under the career section before I found this using the [b]search [/b]button. This is a wonderful thread and I say thanks to the creator and all those who have contributed positively to the thread.

I am a petroleum engineering graduate from ATBU Bauchi. I am presently an NYSC corps member in Delta. My first rig experience was 2009 when I was on IT with POOC. I was on KCA Deutag rig T76 @ Erimwindu drilling for oil for months. I was on the rig for about a month - witnessed drilling of the last hole section, Open Hole Logging, casing tally & inspection and cementing. It was a wonderful experience.

Nice thread.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 11:28am On Jul 04, 2011
hi survey cash

welcome on board

what is TVD of the hole?
what type of rig where you on?, is it an offshore drilling or a land drilling?
what was your experience like?

cheers
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by surveycash(m): 8:35pm On Jul 04, 2011
okeyz:

hi survey cash

welcome on board

what is TVD of the hole?
what type of rig where you on?, is it an offshore drilling or a land drilling?
what was your experience like?

cheers

Thank you. We drilled to a tvd of 10,00ft on a land rig. It was the best experience I have had so far in the developmental stage of my career. I partook in most of the drilling operations from well planning (the casing designs), the well profile, the prespud meeting, etc. It was a wow experience for an IT student then.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 8:04am On Jul 05, 2011
^^^^ see ?
you are already talking like a seasoned drilling engineer, smiley, most of your peers do not have such opportunity, so utilize it well and learn all you can, IMO i should say you one of the lucky few ,most petroleum engineer don't even get to see a drilling rig let alone knowing how it works even after they have graduated.

All the best!!
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 8:09pm On Jul 14, 2011
^^^^ UR SITE NO MAKE SENSE
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by coldwater(m): 9:37pm On Jul 14, 2011
Okeyz,

Sup man, did you get the invitation from Chevron for the drilling engineer's skill test tomorrow?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 9:18am On Jul 15, 2011
coldwater:

Okeyz,

Sup man, did you get the invitation from Chevron for the drilling engineer's skill test tomorrow?

No man i didn't, did you?, I know gate crashing is out of the question wink
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by coldwater(m): 5:39pm On Jul 15, 2011
okeyz:

No man i didn't, did you?, I know gate crashing is out of the question  wink

Yes I did. About 50 questions for 2 hrs ( non-objectives). Focus was on BHP, Hydraulics, well control, casing design ECD etc etc
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 17, 2011
Hello House, esp Devmantic and Okeyz.
I really need your opinion and possibly contact.

I got an offer of Admission from TU Clausthal:Drilling and Production Engineering.
Now am really getting cold feet! embarassed

I would actually prefer to study in the US or UK, but the cost compared to Germany no be moi-moi
Am still gunning for a US admission though.
But pls, does any one in the house know for sure if going to UK or US will really offer me significant better chance of employment after, than Germany.

For one I do not know of any German oil exploration major, nor have I been successful in tracking past graduates of TU Clausthal to see where they are working.
Also, I have heard the moral lesson that your employment prospect depend on how you sell yourself. and God and others. At this stage for me, the major employment trend matters a lot o! Please tell me if you know! Where are the graduates from TU Clausthal in the industry, compared with Texas Austin, Stanford and Texas A&M graduates, etc.

Please if you are a Nigerian Alumini of TU Clausthal can we talk? please?
I have a pretty good job that I may risk to do this study, so you get my point of indecision.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (29) (Reply)

How Much Do Bank Workers Earn? / How To Improve On Your Career With I.T / COREN Registration Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.