Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,262 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone (121786 Views)

Attention: Senior Engineers/ Supervisors/ Managers/ HR Reps / Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training / Download Free Petroleum Reservoir Simulation Software (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by RolandPet(m): 10:03am On Aug 28, 2009
Thanks Doc, i appreciate.

I will write to the owner immediately.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by DrFerlie(m): 2:52pm On Aug 28, 2009
okeyz:

Greetings Dr ferlie,
i ma still waiting for the address for that training school that gives IWDC/WELLCAP certificates, or do u know any one where i can get it online ?
how is the drilling/completions job doing?, cheers

Mr Okeyz, How are you? I am sorry for replying you late. Job is going on fine.

The address is: Training center, Transocean Support Services Nigeria Limited,
Opposite NNPC Housing Complex
Eneka/Igwuruta Road, Rumukruwushi
PortHarcourt
Ask for John.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by DrFerlie(m): 2:57pm On Aug 28, 2009
vindale:

What about Graduates of Petroleum Engineering?

Will cert in Pipeline design and Pdms aid employment and increase ones chances of success in the long run

It should enhance your success. Just make sure you are very good at it.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by alanbolo(m): 4:18pm On Aug 28, 2009
Dr Ferlie and others,

Thanks for a tread like these,  it's what we need as an empowermeant means.   I also appreciate your leveraging of Texas experience with that of Nigerian field work in the way you are advising those in need of getting into the production aspect.

I hope all other professions who are yet to contribute their quota to these type of forum will start doing so. 

Question:  What happens after the Oil finish from the ground or depleting and as we move towards renewable energy just like the US is doing right now?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by elchux: 4:38pm On Aug 28, 2009
@roland pet.
fellow futoite, could you give me the link to engage in FOREX TRADE.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Kekenapep: 4:46pm On Aug 28, 2009
To Ehido;

As was said earlier a roustabout is the lowest position on the rig and it involves essentially just manual labour. Depending on the company Transocean, seadrill etc, your work ethic, connections within the company and nationality (yes that matters too) you may be able to move up rapidly (the possibility exists) or you may take forever (literarily).

Basically you move from roustabout-senior rastabout-chief roustabout-assistant derrickman-derrickman-assistant driller-driller-toolpusher-drilling leader and some others

To be candid with you if you have an opportunity for a masters it may be  better because experience gained as a roustabout may not count for much in your field of study.  But if its the money u need u may earn around 200k/month and above or possibly lower if u are staff or on contract.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Shinatu: 5:16pm On Aug 28, 2009
Ehido,

Get on that Rig as Dr told you! Not all PEs get the opportunity to work on a Rig and those who have spent most of their time in the office admire any PE who has a good Rig experience.

Like Dr Ferlie said, do not limit yourself to the Roustabout job you have been called to do there, get to know as much as you can, if I can use Dr's exact words, open your eyes, very well, relate with the engineers on the rig, get as much information and exposure as possible.You can then go to that school to consolidate.

It all depends on you.It may not be easy though but anyone who wants success on a platter of gold is a thief.

By the way, I am not a driller but I am in Oil & gas , I work more with Drilling fluid & completions Engineers and if that e-mail address that Dr Ferlie provided for the Mud School is Charles Pepple's, then the School must be solid, I worked with him some 10years back, he sure knows his onions.

Dr Ferlie, I hail o! This is a good thread, call it a way of giving back to the community. Another guy is doing something like this on a thread for the Telecoms Industry. It is threads like these that make time spent on Nairaland worthwhile for me.

1 Like

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by zmurda(m): 5:26pm On Aug 28, 2009
@ abbeydot who said
DRILLERS HELP GET THE OIL OUTTA THE GROUND, HAIL THEM

drillers punch holes into the ground to get the oil after lots of talks with the geologists and the reservoir engineers. production engineers/technologists write the start up procedures and get the oil out.

just to let you know without disrespect to the drillers!

1 Like

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by DrFerlie(m): 5:37pm On Aug 28, 2009
z-murda:

@ abbeydot who said
drillers punch holes into the ground to get the oil after lots of talks with the geologists and the reservoir engineers. production engineers/technologists write the start up procedures and get the oil out.
just to let you know without disrespect to the drillers!
You are right. We all work together as a TEAM. wink
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by DrFerlie(m): 5:40pm On Aug 28, 2009
Shinatu:

Ehido,
By the way, I am not a driller but I am in Oil & gas , I work more with Drilling fluid & completions Engineers and if that e-mail address that Dr Ferlie provided for the Mud School is Charles Pepple's, then the School must be solid, I worked with him some 10years back, he sure knows his onions.

Mr Shinatu, You are right on spot. The mud school belongs to C-Pepple. Thanks for the compliment. smiley smiley

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 6:53pm On Aug 28, 2009
Dr Ferlie:

Okeyz,

It will be easier for you to come in as a Completion Engineer based on your previous experience in well completions and workover.

I will let you know of any opportunity as soon as possible. what part of completion were you involved before?
Hi Dr, i didn,t see this question b4, so i will answer, i was involved in FRAC process using coiled tubing,acidizing of carbonate zones to stimulate the well and gravel packing.
i was also involved in hole casing and perforations.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by coldwater(m): 7:45pm On Aug 28, 2009
God bless you Dr. I just came across this online and decided to share it. The search for crude oil is getting farther and deeper offshore.

RELEASE--Chevron Commences Operations on Next Generation Ultra-Deepwater Drillship

SAN RAMON, Calif.--Aug. 13, 2009-- Chevron U.S.A. Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Chevron Corporation, today announced that the Discoverer Clear Leader, an ultra-deepwater drillship newly built to Chevron’s specifications, has begun work for Chevron in the deepwater U.S. Gulf of Mexico under a five-year contract with Transocean. The state-of-the-art vessel is capable of drilling wells in 12,000 feet (3,650 meters) of water to a total depth of 40,000 feet (12,200 meters), surpassing the limits of previous technology.
“The Discoverer Clear Leader offers the most-advanced drilling capabilities in the offshore drilling industry and will enable Chevron to expand the search for new domestic sources of energy,” said George Kirkland, executive vice president, Upstream and Gas, Chevron.
Chevron is one of the top lease holders and producers in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico. The drillship will begin work for Chevron at several of its deepwater projects, including Tahiti and Jack/St. Malo.
The Discoverer Clear Leader is the first of two new drillships to be commissioned for Chevron. The second vessel, the Discoverer Inspiration, is expected to be delivered in early 2010.
The drillship features Transocean’s patented dual-activity drilling technology designed to enable parallel drilling operations from a single derrick, saving time and money in deepwater well construction compared with conventional rigs.

Chevron has already established itself as a leader in drilling capabilities. The company holds the current world water-depth drilling record of 10,011 feet (3,051 meters) of water in the Gulf of Mexico.
Chevron Corporation is one of the world's leading integrated energy companies, with subsidiaries that conduct business worldwide. The company's success is driven by the ingenuity and commitment of approximately 62,000 employees who operate across the energy spectrum.

Chevron explores for, produces and transports crude oil and natural gas; refines, markets and distributes transportation fuels and other energy products; manufactures and sells petrochemical products; generates power and produces geothermal energy; provides energy efficiency solutions; and develops the energy resources of the future, including biofuels and other renewables. Chevron is based in San Ramon, Calif. More information about Chevron is available at www.chevron.com.

Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6026757〈=en
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Mosehun(m): 9:07pm On Aug 28, 2009
Hi guys,i'm a chemical engineering in my 400level and i really want 2 specialize in petroleum engr(onshore).Pls i dont undastand how to go about dat when i'm thru with my studies.And pls i want to know if there is any professional exams to write.Pls help your fellow engineer in making
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by salam12(m): 9:53pm On Aug 28, 2009
Hello Dr.

This is quite a good development on NL. Is season Directional Engineers allow to make contributions.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by 9ijaMan: 10:19pm On Aug 28, 2009
Hello Everyone, I'm a drilling engineer as well and work with a major here in the mid-east after working in 9ja and UK for a couple of years.
Dr. Ferlie, kudos to you for the good work and advice you've been giving to potential drillers. I particularly appreciate the one you gave to Ehido to take the roustabout job as against going to study Oil& Gas engineering in the UK. That was a very wise advice.
Best of wishes!
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Remii(m): 11:05pm On Aug 28, 2009
Good idea, guys you can visit www.drillers.com to get some ideas too. Hopefully we would be able to develop this trend to that level. I am a chemical engineer by training, presently working as a company man, would gladly like to share ideas.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Remii(m): 12:24am On Aug 29, 2009
Shinatu:

Ehido,

Get on that Rig as Dr told you! Not all PEs get the opportunity to work on a Rig and those who have spent most of their time in the office admire any PE who has a good Rig experience.
Like Dr Ferlie said, do not limit yourself to the Roustabout job you have been called to do there, get to know as much as you can, if I can use Dr's exact words, open your eyes, very well, relate with the engineers on the rig, get as much information and exposure as possible.You can then go to that school to consolidate.
It all depends on you.It may not be easy though but anyone who wants success on a platter of gold is a thief.

Dr Ferlie, I hail o! This is a good thread, call it a way of giving back to the community. Another guy is doing something like this on a thread for the Telecoms Industry. It is threads like these that make time spent on Nairaland worthwhile for me.

I didn't know that Charles has a mud school, the only one that am aware of is that run by Dr Victor Maduka, formerly of Bariod. He taught almost all locally trained mud engineers in Nigeria that I know off. If Charles and others do the same that would be a vey good development.

1 Like

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Outstrip(f): 12:37am On Aug 29, 2009
Wow this is really helpful. I was drilling a whole in the wall today to hang a new painting and I busted a huge hole in the wall. This drilling engineer work no easy o. Any tips on fixing this hole is welcome.

Just kidding. Back to the fashion section
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Eluala(m): 5:24am On Aug 29, 2009
@ DR Ferlie,

What are the possible reasons why a fully loaded perf gun would not fire? And worse still, POOH without actually knowing it did not fire. I am a PE by the way and on this ocassion back in the days, I was doing my well sitting training.

I could not express the tension that day on the rig knowing fully well what could have happened to our lives and the rig.

Like I said, I'm not a DE but I 'll assume technology would have advanced beyond where it was then. Any advice on how to detect such and prevent it from happening.

Meanwhile keep up the good work. This is one sure way through which we can actually close the knowledge gap and help to build the capacity of our local country men and women. We must take this industry because it belongs to us. Afterall the oil na our own.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by nedureg01(m): 5:58am On Aug 29, 2009
Mosehun:

Hi guys,i'm a chemical engineering in my 400level and i really want 2 specialize in petroleum engr(onshore).Pls i dont undastand how to go about dat when i'm thru with my studies.And pls i want to know if there is any professional exams to write.Pls help your fellow engineer in making

you can start with the IWCF certification but I don't know how you can about it. You can also explore other opportunities like taking a Master's degree program that will also give a broad perspective on drilling and other areas of Petroleum. There are nice courses in Drilling Engineering, Drilling Optimization and Well Completions in some Universities curriculum. You can keep this in mind while you try other things out.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by stepestus(m): 9:08am On Aug 29, 2009
Pls i am Steven Petrus, a 4th year student of Mech. engr, i am in need of a place of I.T. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by kvolander: 10:50pm On Aug 29, 2009
God, I'm in love with this thread.Please, let's keep it alive and also include some little info on other petroleum engineering aspects. I have an MSc in PE from Heriot-Watt University in Scotland although I'm yet to clinch that oil job. During the program, the drilling course was really interesting although I still prefer Reservoir Engineering coz of my chemical engineering background.
I don't think drilling is as challenging as reservoir engineering coz of the great deal of uncertainty in the latter.

To my experienced guys, please, do you think getting the IWCF certificate would greatly enhance my chances of getting a job quickly eventhough the drilling course covered virtually everything? I don't have any previous experience except my Internship in SHELL in 2005 where I worked majorly as a trainee P-Tech.

Dr Ferlie and co.,if I were to be employed by any of the companies you guys work now, what do you think will be expected from me, considering my qualification?

Thanks in anticipation for your reply.

1 Like

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by desertboom(m): 9:49am On Aug 30, 2009
Very nice thread, please what course can a mechanical engineer undergo to become a professional driller. Thanks
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Remii(m): 2:23pm On Aug 30, 2009
desertboom:

Very nice thread, please what course can a mechanical engineer undergo to become a professional driller. Thanks

Do not get confused, the first thing you need to do is get good grade from school. All engineers are employable in Oil & Gas industry with good grades you can become what you want if you really want it and ready for the challenge. Companies do train their personnel to be able to carry out specific tasks.
For those asking about IWCF, getting it is one thing but competence in well control takes more that holding paper because the risk of mistake due to incompetence could cause loss of lives and multimillion dollar property damage. So I advise undergraduates to concentrate on finishing your school with good grades and be ready for an opportunity. You need experience to be called consultant or get registred for IWCF or WellCap certification test in the first place.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Shinatu: 11:06am On Aug 31, 2009
Eluala:

@ DR Ferlie,

What are the possible reasons why a fully loaded perf gun would not fire? And worse still, POOH without actually knowing it did not fire. I am a PE by the way and on this ocassion back in the days, I was doing my well sitting training.

I could not express the tension that day on the rig knowing fully well what could have happened to our lives and the rig.

Like I said, I'm not a DE but I 'll assume technology would have advanced beyond where it was then. Any advice on how to detect such and prevent it from happening.

Meanwhile keep up the good work. This is one sure way through which we can actually close the knowledge gap and help to build the capacity of our local country men and women. We must take this industry because it belongs to us. Afterall the oil na our own.

@Eluala,

Perforation is not a driller's job but actually a Completions Engineer's job.
I would advice that you check your cables.Wireline cable may be bad, if Wireline conveyed(Shutting)
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nezan(m): 11:36am On Aug 31, 2009
good thread.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Remii(m): 11:45am On Aug 31, 2009
desertboom:

Do not get confused,  the first thing you need to do is get good grade from school. All engineers are employable in Oil & Gas industry with good grades you can become what you want if you really want it and ready for the challenge. Companies do train their personnel to be able to carry out specific tasks.
For those asking about IWCF, getting it is one thing but competence in well control takes more that holding paper because the risk of mistake due to incompetence could cause loss of lives and multimillion dollar property damage. So I advise undergraduates to concentrate on finishing your school with good grades and be ready for an opportunity. You need experience to be called consultant or get registred for IWCF or WellCap certification test in the first place.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 12:08pm On Aug 31, 2009
This is quite a good development on NL. Is season Directional Engineers allow to make contributions.

[/quote]
HI salam12, ur contributions are most welcome,directional drilling is one of the toughest aspect of drilling,mostly used for marginal fields,but it has been made simplified by new technology,please feel free to give ur input.
@ outstrip grin
Wow this is really helpful. I was drilling a whole in the wall today to hang a new painting and I busted a huge hole in the wall. This drilling engineer work no easy o. Any tips on fixing this hole is welcome.

Just kidding. Back to the fashion section
[quote]
any hole is a hole just use cement and gravel to plaster it, thats all!, see there is really nothing to it.

just my 2 cents!
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Remii(m): 2:10pm On Aug 31, 2009
Who has been deleting my posts on this trend. If you do not want free contribution just say so the fill the page yourself.

I am posting it again.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Remii(m): 2:11pm On Aug 31, 2009
Shinatu:

@Eluala,

Perforation is not a driller's job but actually a Completions Engineer's job.
I would advice that you check your cables.Wireline cable may be bad, if Wireline conveyed(Shutting)

Driller is concerned with overall success of the well.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by farous(m): 3:19pm On Aug 31, 2009
This is indeed a very nice forum.Please can anybody help and link me to drilling job.I am a graduate of Electrical/Electronics Engineering.I would like to build my career in drilling field.My present work is not in drilling,hence i have no drilling experience,but i want to start even from Roastabouts,and fulfil my heart desire in drilling field.Please help.
My email address is:jin_farous@yahoo.com.I live in Lagos,Nigeria.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Remii(m): 4:20pm On Aug 31, 2009
desertboom:

Do not get confused, the first thing you need to do is get good grade from school. All engineers are employable in Oil & Gas industry with good grades you can become what you want if you really want it and ready for the challenge. Companies do train their personnel to be able to carry out specific tasks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

How Much Do Bank Workers Earn? / How To Improve On Your Career With I.T / COREN Registration Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.