Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,215 members, 7,815,247 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? (63487 Views)

Ada Peter, Evans Osarobuohien, Roland Tolulope Loto, Professors In Their 30s / List Of First Nigerian Professors In Various Disciplines / Nigerian Universities With The Highest Number Of Professors - NUC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by Mbediogu(m): 9:42pm On Mar 30, 2016
The student / Professor ratio, the percentage of Professors in relation to all teachers, and most of all the QUALITY of Professors would be better indicators than absolute number of Profs without regard to number of students and quality, vitality and experience of Professors concerned.
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by masterplan303(m): 9:43pm On Mar 30, 2016
I cant say for any other school o but the school i finished from (The premier university...the first and the best) professors are everywhere
Back then in my first year,Two professors were exchanging words in chemistry dept,one was like "i was the one that lectured the professor that lectured you before you became a professor"...lol. In the faculty of vet med where i grad from, them plenty there like water.
i visited a friend in UNAD now eksu in the year 2006,if you see the way security was guarding a professor there, i now asked my friend whether the man is their VC....

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by Adeshizzy: 10:17pm On Mar 30, 2016
HrmOlolade:
I think federal polytechnic offa and kwara poly cheesy
Kwarapoly
Department of Computer science
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by stzy(m): 10:18pm On Mar 30, 2016
Spiff20:
that's my dept bro, here in unical we have 10 but we lost one, his funeral is tomorrow.
#proudchemists
fut Yola we had 6 n 3 ass profs we lost a Dr last 2 months... RIP to dem gr8 minds.... #chemistsrocks

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by Carter4luv(m): 10:22pm On Mar 30, 2016
university of aso rock, av more than 1000 professors. like professor yemi osinbajo and professor muhamadu buhari.
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by MikeB3(m): 10:27pm On Mar 30, 2016
MadCow1:
This must be a battle between Yoruba Universities..

You know that in the West, they hand our Professorship like Fayose's Stomach Infrastructure.

Fayose sharing Professorship in Ekiti State . grin

You be mumu, na Fayose be this abi Fayemi!
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by centyboy: 10:42pm On Mar 30, 2016
SaintHephzibah:
University of Ibadan. First and the Best. Citadel of learning and the Pivotal centre of Knowledge. Rectè Sapièrè Fons (to think straight is the fount' of knowledge) UITES click like.
Are you a student in the school bro.?
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by phemybof(m): 10:43pm On Mar 30, 2016
HrmOlolade:
weyrey re oo
lol
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by phemybof(m): 10:44pm On Mar 30, 2016
HrmOlolade:
wetrey re ooo
lol
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by Tommyobady: 10:46pm On Mar 30, 2016
I think it's O.A.U

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by SCHOOLDROPOUT(m): 11:10pm On Mar 30, 2016
johhnnie:

True. But, I can tell you authoritatively that in Geography Department UI , the following Profs cannot be beaten when it comes to attendance and delivery. Some of them are late though. Abumere, Akintola, Ayoade, Filani, Stanley Okafor, Gbadegesin, Aweto. These people are consulted in their various field world wide. Try and Google their names and u will be dazed about what u will come up with.

I acquiesce! The department had four emeritus professors and about 20 profs before the demise of emeritus Filani and Professor Akintola in 2014. Prof. Akintola taught me in 300level just before he passed away after he lost his first son(it was really tragic. He was like a father).
The department has also produced more than 5 VCs (just those that I'm aware of though. There are definitely more). Prof.Gbadegesin is the incumbent VC of LAUTECH, Prof. Ukporukpo and Emeritus Udor for Naija Delta University, Prof. Ayoade was Bowen University's, Prof. Ayeni for Babcock University while Emeritus Mabogunje was the Pro Chancellor of Bells Uni. One interesting thing is, they teach mainly based on personal experiences as they were the pioneers in most of these fields. Sometimes, you wonder what you could write to impress someone who did the work you're writing about. Just like writing about landuse act of Nigeria for Emeritus Udor. These people started the whole thing. Most of them have tutored in renowned and credible institutions in North America, Australia, Africa and Asia. They are highly venerated globally.
There are also four generations of professors. Emeritus Udor, Mabogunje and Faniran taught Prof. Akintola, Prof. Ayoade, Prof. Areola, while they taught Profs like Ukporukpo, Ayeni and those taught Prof. Gbadegesin who also taught Associate Prof. Adelekan. Interesting. Isn't it?
Prof. Ayoade was my undergraduate project supervisor btw. (Geo Science)

PS: Emeritus Professor M. F Thomas who was the quondam HOD way back came from USA to the department alongside other Profs in 2014, he also taught Emeritus Mabogunje et al. He was 94 years old and still kicking then.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by olumuyiwah25(m): 11:56pm On Mar 30, 2016
What is yours ,will surely be urs. Be focus nd determined
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by fejicruz(m): 12:05am On Mar 31, 2016
Some of these profs are actually professing nothing.
phiszo:
Professors without any impact. Only for their stomach(promotion/salaries). Nonsense.
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by fineyemi(m): 12:10am On Mar 31, 2016
banme1:
Uniosun.
u must b a uniosunite
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by fejicruz(m): 12:16am On Mar 31, 2016
Welcome to Nigeria. A country where people love celebrating titles. You that was taught by 30 professors in one dept, what have you done differently and better than the person who only had 2 PhD holders in his dept?
All the certificates are semi useless in Nigeria
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by EMriss(m): 12:29am On Mar 31, 2016
MadCow1:
This must be a battle between Yoruba Universities..

You know that in the West, they hand our Professorship like Fayose's Stomach Infrastructure.

Fayose sharing Professorship in Ekiti State . grin
d frst woman here b like...jhust giv mi too since iya samuel dey collect too cheesy grin
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by EMriss(m): 12:36am On Mar 31, 2016
masterplan303:
I cant say for any other school o but the school i finished from (The premier university...the first and the best) professors are everywhere
Back then in my first year,Two professors were exchanging words in chemistry dept,one was like "i was the one that lectured the professor that lectured you before you became a professor"...lol. In the faculty of vet med where i grad from, them plenty there like water.
i visited a friend in UNAD now eksu in the year 2006,if you see the way security was guarding a professor there, i now asked my friend whether the man is their VC....
abeg continue..ur story dey sweet mi wink serious
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by cooljude(m): 12:38am On Mar 31, 2016
johhnnie:

Haters can hug a live transformer.

If u ever come under the tutelage of Profs like Maboogunje, Abumere, Ayoade Stanley Okafor , Filani, Akintola; (Geography Dept. UI) , Your life will be overtly positively transformed.
. I honestly can relate with the guy you quoted. no beef intended. I think 99 percent of our professors had not brought any remarkable breakthrough in their field of study. they don't even research talk less of discovering or really being a leader in their field. I went to a technology university and I had dreamt of working with a professor as an assistant or disciple. when I got in, I realised that we are not serious. I repeat my earlier statement that most of our professors don't deserve that title.
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by tonnelo: 12:51am On Mar 31, 2016
University of Akokwa in ideato north local government area IMO state
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by Topshow4real: 12:57am On Mar 31, 2016
MAPOLY grin
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by Roks(m): 2:43am On Mar 31, 2016
Abeg how that picture wey the op use take concern the post?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by tee4naija(m): 3:33am On Mar 31, 2016
As at the year 2008,the department of geography in UI had 11 professors including 2 professors emeritus while my own department (Economics) had 12.
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by tee4naija(m): 3:44am On Mar 31, 2016
johhnnie:

Haters can hug a live transformer.

If u ever come under the tutelage of Profs like Maboogunje, Abumere, Ayoade Stanley Okafor , Filani, Akintola; (Geography Dept. UI) , Your life will be overtly positively transformed.
1million likes for u.u didn't mention the likes of professor Gbadegesin, Aweto,Mama Olajumoke etc.
In economics, we have the likes of professors Iwayemi,Olofin, Oyejide, Soyibo, Ibi Ajayi, Egwaikide,Ekpeyong, Kayode etc.you just can't beat UI to it!
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by tee4naija(m): 3:58am On Mar 31, 2016
Armstrong34:
foolish country....hw does number of professors in a skul improve our educational system or unemployment rate....Nigerians sf ehn...bragging abt nonsense
Sit down there and continue grumbling. 30% of my class mates (ui economics 2008) are in top universities across the globe doing their PhD while another 20% (including my humble self) are with different MNCs here in Nigeria and other parts of the world.
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by tee4naija(m): 4:02am On Mar 31, 2016
stevnwigw:
Imo state university owerri had 78 professors as at the last convocation held on the 19th day of March 2016.
Faculties of Agric and Science in UI each has more than this figure.
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by Couragevictoryi: 4:14am On Mar 31, 2016
soulminister:
I want to believe that it is University of ibadan since we have up to 11 professors in the department I graduated from which is the department of chemistry.

It's easy to b a prof in chemistry dept, I graduated from Uniben-we had 14 professors and 11 doctors in chemistry department, just tell his much u get to block...
Imagine a 100 level course been taken by 3 lecturers and they are all PROFESSORS
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by lagosrd: 6:04am On Mar 31, 2016
Shagati:

There were 260 Professors in UI last time I checked (in June 1994)

doing what?
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by OBAnkemi: 6:13am On Mar 31, 2016
soulminister:
I want to believe that it is University of ibadan since we have up to 11 professors in the department I graduated from which is the department of chemistry.

Guy as an undergraduate in UI ard year 2000 UI Chemistry had btw 12-18 professors, back then Dr Woods wasn't a professor yet. Economics back then had more than 12 professors. Am so sure that Chemistry in UI 2day wud have at least 25-30 professors.
Grab the latest Convocation Order of Proceedings from any of these universities, it usually contains a list of all their professors under the heading, Members of the University Senate (every professor is a member of Senate).
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by Nobody: 6:26am On Mar 31, 2016
Na waa oo..UI people don take over the thread o
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by soulminister(m): 6:40am On Mar 31, 2016
OBAnkemi:

Guy as an undergraduate in UI ard year 2000 UI Chemistry had btw 12-18 professors, back then Dr Woods wasn't a professor yet. Economics back then had more than 12 professors. Am so sure that Chemistry in UI 2day wud have at least 25-30 professors.
Grab the latest Convocation Order of Proceedings from any of these universities, it usually contains a list of all their professors under the heading, Members of the University Senate (every professor is a member of Senate).

Your observations can be true but you don't expect the rate at which they retire and the rate at which they gain professors to be the same?
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by muta1996(m): 6:42am On Mar 31, 2016
evansvenus:
Gud evening people

let us get it started, tell us the university that have the highest number of professors as lecturers

you can also tell the house how many of your lecturers are professors,its sure going to make admission seekers make the right choice..thanks!

ABU
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by esshman(m): 6:58am On Mar 31, 2016
soulminister:

They used to have 17 in that department when I was in Ui (2006)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Oxford Dictionary Adds 29 Nigerian Words, Expressions In January Updates / When Will WAEC May/june Registration For 2013/2014 Starting? / Sex For Grades: Boniface Igbeneghu Of UNILAG Exposed In BBC Documentary (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.