Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? (63485 Views)

Ada Peter, Evans Osarobuohien, Roland Tolulope Loto, Professors In Their 30s / List Of First Nigerian Professors In Various Disciplines / Nigerian Universities With The Highest Number Of Professors - NUC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by AdamsAgunbe: 7:37am On Mar 31, 2016
Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta,My college has up to 30 Profs.
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by jiboluseun(m): 7:41am On Mar 31, 2016
evansvenus:
Gud evening people

let us get it started, tell us the university that have the highest number of professors as lecturers

you can also tell the house how many of your lecturers are professors,its sure going to make admission seekers make the right choice..thanks!

Well, I may not be able to say that OAU has the highest number of professors, but I can guarantee you that OAU has the highest number of visiting professors. And I think that means a whole lot more
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by Armstrong34(m): 7:55am On Mar 31, 2016
tee4naija:

Sit down there and continue grumbling. 30% of my class mates (ui economics 2008) are in top universities across the globe doing their PhD while another 20% (including my humble self) are with different MNCs here in Nigeria and other parts of the world.
......hw is DAT our biz...afterall I knw a school drop out who wuld pay dose PHD holders 3 times der salary sef.....Oga no b by skul
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by HrmOlolade(m): 8:14am On Mar 31, 2016
Adeshizzy:

Kwarapoly
Department of Computer science
Yeah cheesy we have 27 professors in that department
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by HrmOlolade(m): 8:17am On Mar 31, 2016
phemybof:
weyrey re oo lol
undecided

Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by PrinceAlex001(m): 8:43am On Mar 31, 2016
johhnnie:

That's my department. 2004 NUGSA President/ Faculty Consultative Council Chairman.
When We had freshers' orientation at the time we had 11 Profs form the department on the high table. Other like Akintola, Ayeni, Ikporukpo, Abumere, Filani etc didn't show up for the programm
Emeritus Professor Filani is dead and also Emeritus Professor Faniran, the only Emeritus Professor left is R.k Udoh. I am so glad I drank from their River of knowledge before their demise.
Respect to you sir. I am also a Geographer And 2012 NUGSA social director; 2013 NUGSA vice president.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by Rhoteabarca(m): 9:06am On Mar 31, 2016
Surely UI
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by winj: 9:42am On Mar 31, 2016
yea. professor on paper. Theory professors, NO PRACTICAL!
Most Nigerians can write about something but cannot produce them in the lab.

Professor of chemical engineering? when it's time to separate kerosene and petrol from crude oil, they call Chinese small boy with OND to come do it, and become their master!

Most Nigerians go to school but school does not go through them!

Nigeria: country of educated\illiterates!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by bodutokun: 9:55am On Mar 31, 2016
Ahmadu Bello University... They take the lead in anything academics...Always smiley
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by Nobody: 10:09am On Mar 31, 2016
johhnnie:

That's my department. 2004 NUGSA President/ Faculty Consultative Council Chairman.
When We had freshers' orientation at the time we had 11 Profs form the department on the high table. Other like Akintola, Ayeni, Ikporukpo, Abumere, Filani etc didn't show up for the programm
I hail ooooo..I got admission into the dept 4years u left sir. Prof Akintola is late nd one Emeritus but av forgotten his name

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by kambili999(f): 10:13am On Mar 31, 2016
Nnamdi Azikiwe University
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by MadCow1: 10:14am On Mar 31, 2016
kambili999:
Nnamdi Azikiwe University

That place is not a University but a Zoo..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by PUMPIN11(m): 10:36am On Mar 31, 2016
olihilistic:
eksu

na who b dis??......if no b say i dey work 4 inside dat skul, i 4 swear.....
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by daxon001(m): 10:37am On Mar 31, 2016
soulminister:
I want to believe that it is University of ibadan since we have up to 11 professors in the department I graduated from which is the department of chemistry.
Before nko?
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by Nobody: 10:40am On Mar 31, 2016
PUMPIN11:

na who b dis??......if no b say i dey work 4 inside dat skul, i 4 swear.....
swear for your ancestors or me?
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by daxon001(m): 10:48am On Mar 31, 2016
Futurecrown:
University of Ibadan
B4 nko?
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by daxon001(m): 10:51am On Mar 31, 2016
raumdeuter:
I think University of Ibadan
B4 nko?
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by daxon001(m): 10:56am On Mar 31, 2016
maxtrontips1:
UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN (The Premier University of Nigeria)
B4 nko
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by daxon001(m): 11:00am On Mar 31, 2016
moferey:
ibadan.. I think
B4 nko?
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by SCHOOLDROPOUT(m): 4:15pm On Mar 31, 2016
PrinceAlex001:

Emeritus Professor Filani is dead and also Emeritus Professor Faniran, the only Emeritus Professor left is R.k Udoh. I am so glad I drank from their River of knowledge before their demise.
Respect to you sir. I am also a Geographer And 2012 NUGSA social director; 2013 NUGSA vice president.

Faniran dead? When?
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by Ada9103(f): 7:03pm On Mar 31, 2016
akuracy:
I have been following you from Nairaland pet to education, from education to family and romance. I hope you will also follow me to the altar ?

Lolssss
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by StephenJoseph(m): 7:22pm On Mar 31, 2016
Great UNIBEN has the highest number of Professors. GREATEST UNIBEN!
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by ayokunlei(m): 10:08pm On Mar 31, 2016
Effizie01 -
boss, is a reader a senior to a professor? And how long does it take to become a professor after obtaing a ph.d. Thanks
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by ayokunlei(m): 10:09pm On Mar 31, 2016
Effyzie01 -
boss, is a reader a senior to a professor? And how long does it take to become a professor after obtaing a ph.d. Thanks
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by dom(m): 12:35am On Apr 01, 2016
soulminister:
I want to believe that it is University of ibadan since we have up to 11 professors in the department I graduated from which is the department of chemistry.
11? In 1997 when I got into ui chemistry had 13 professors. They shd be like 30 by now.
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by akuracy(m): 5:15am On Apr 01, 2016
Ada9103:

Lolssss
I don send you mail tire, at least reply one make we contact nah
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by Ada9103(f): 6:55am On Apr 01, 2016
akuracy:
I don send you mail tire, at least reply one make we contact nah

Okkkkkkkk
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by effyzie01(m): 7:07am On Apr 01, 2016
ayokunlei:

Effyzie01 -

Thanks bro.

No! A reader is otherwise called an associate professor. It is the last rank before becoming a professor. However, once a lecturer's professorial status is confirmed, it is usually backdated to take effect from the day s/he became an associate professor (reader).

Becoming a professor after obtaining a PhD is dependent on a lecturer's rank at the time and the school's promotion policies. Some schools (UDUS, for example, if s/he were an LI before the PhD) promote a lecturer to a senior lecturer status immediately after obtaining a PhD, this means he'd have six years waiting period before becoming professor (3 as a senior lecturer and 3 as a reader). On the other hand, one could serve a minimum of a 4-year waiting period and apply for professorship straight (skipping the readership stage)

In schools where accelerated promotion is still practised, a fresh PhD (usually a senior lecturer) could be promoted to a professor in just 3 years.

I hope I'm of help, brother

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by soulminister(m): 7:29am On Apr 01, 2016
dom:

11? In 1997 when I got into ui chemistry had 13 professors. They shd be like 30 by now.

There is no geometric or exponential progression in the rate of gaining and retirement of professors
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by effyzie01(m): 7:31am On Apr 01, 2016
easzypeaszy:
chemistry dept alwys leadin..n dats wht mk it one of d hardest course to study in Nigeria...u go dey folow u laugh der..grt chemist

UI is light years ahead of any other university in Nigeria. It is an unwritten policy in my former department that a staff pursuing his/her PhD should only study in one of 3 places: Abroad (preferably UK), in the department or UI. We have about 8 PhDs who studied in UI (some for their MScs) and 4 of them are now professors. I was fortunate to have interacted and learned under the great Professor Osibanjo about 4 years back. Chemistry, everywhere, is simply awesome.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by dom(m): 7:35am On Apr 01, 2016
soulminister:

There is no geometric or exponential progression in the rate of gaining and retirement of professors

Then u dunno U.I?
Re: Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? by ayokunlei(m): 8:10am On Apr 01, 2016
effyzie01:

Thanks bro.

No! A reader is otherwise called an associate professor. It is the last rank before becoming a professor. However, once a lecturer's professorial status is confirmed, it is usually backdated to take effect from the day s/he became an associate professor (reader).

Becoming a professor after obtaining a PhD is dependent on a lecturer's rank at the time and the school's promotion policies. Some schools (UDUS, for example, if s/he were an LI before the PhD) promote a lecturer to a senior lecturer status immediately after obtaining a PhD, this means he'd have six years waiting period before becoming professor (3 as a senior lecturer and 3 as a reader). On the other hand, one could serve a minimum of a 4-year waiting period and apply for professorship straight (skipping the readership stage)

In schools where accelerated promotion is still practised, a fresh PhD (usually a senior lecturer) could be promoted to a professor in just 3 years.

I hope I'm of help, brother

sure, you have.

Please, What does LI mean?
And again Sir, I saw the list of new post graduate students in my school, in some, they wrote (M.phil/Ph.D conversion), and in some they wrote, (M.phil/ph.D protocol). Please, explain Sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

When Will WAEC May/june Registration For 2013/2014 Starting? / Sex For Grades: Boniface Igbeneghu Of UNILAG Exposed In BBC Documentary (Pics) / Criminals Break Into ATM In Osun State University, Osogbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.