Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,498 members, 7,812,542 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:03 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11615850 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (16128) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:07pm On May 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
West Ham hint Nigeria international will leave end of season
by Emre Sarigul
[/size]

West Ham co-chairman David Sullivan has hinted that on-loan Fenerbahce striker Emmanuel Emenike is unlikely to remain at the club next season.

Sullivan did not directly state that Emenike would be leaving but did underline that the club will be targeting a striker over the summer.

“We’ve put a bid in today for €30m for a player, and other bids will be going in,” Sullivan stated.

“We’re going to make a £20-25m for a player in England, maybe later this week.

“So, whatever happens, we intend to bring a top striker in.”

The Hammers do have a €10 million release clause option to sign Emenike until the end of the season which feels short of the €30 million bid the club will be making.

The east London based outfit will have a revenue boost from switching to the Olympic stadium and could still book a place in the Champions League next season.

Emenike has struggled at the Premier League outfit scoring just twice since arriving from Fenerbahce on-loan in January but has yet to score in the league.

The powerful striker was left out of the starting line-up in the last West Ham game at Upton Park yesterday and did not feature at all over the 90 minutes in the 3-2 victory over Manchester United.

Fenerbahce are willing to part ways with Emenike after he fell out with fans and the board last season but it remains in the hands of the Hammers.
http://www.turkish-football.com/west-ham-hint-nigeria-international-fenerbahce-striker-emenike-will-leave-end-of-season/
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:12pm On May 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Much Ado About Foreign Coach for Super Eagles
[/size]

L-R: Marketing Manager, Brian Munro Ltd, Abayomi Ajao; Award winner and Managing Director, SKG Pharma, Okey Akpa; and National Sales Manager, Brian Munro Ltd, Paul Omekwe, during the Campari Distributors Award/Prize Giving dinner in Lagos

Obi Ogbu

I sit in my study this morning reflecting, not for the first time this week, why my dear country, Nigeria is one that is never able to get the simplest things right.

Today, I am not thinking about the state of the economy, or the price of oil in the international market, or advancement in technology in other spheres, or the pathetic state of infrastructure back home, or poor funding for education, health and agriculture, or the treacherous state of the roads, or even the unacceptable truism that 16 years into a new Millennium, rail transportation is not available in Nigeria (the world’s fifth biggest producer of oil)!

I have elected to avert my mind to the debate over whether the national football team should have an indigenous coach or an expatriate coach.

Indeed, the government of the day preaches self –sustenance, looking inwards and making do mostly with Nigeria –made. Great policy. But what happens to those areas where we cannot find Nigerians who are highly qualified and able and capable of doing a great job?

If we can do it all alone, why is President Muhammadu Buhari traveling all over the world seeking help from those nations? The latest I heard, we are asking for a huge loan from China to finance rail infrastructure.

Having followed the game passionately for decades, I dare say that football is one area in which we cannot find highly qualified Nigerians capable of doing a good job of coaching the Super Eagles to world standards. Simple analysis would show us that we have gravitated around all the likely candidates and none has shown that he can lead us to elite footballing status. There’s being no foundation, moral or mental rigour required. Period.

The only ever likely candidates, at all times, are Stephen Keshi, Samson Siasia, Austin Eguavoen, Sunday Oliseh… Any other name? I dunno. Keshi did well winning the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in 2013 and taking the team to the Round of 16 at the FIFA World Cup, and surely is the best of the pack that we have. But he had problems relating with his employers, whether they were the Aminu Maigari team that brought him on board or the Amaju Pinnick board that desired to retain him.

Keshi did a wonderful job qualifying the team for the World Cup, but how come he failed to pick Nigeria’s best players for that World Cup? We had a number of injured average players, journeymen and schoolboy players in Brazil.

Siasia replaced a very poor Oliseh, whose technical ability was not in question but was never able to manage relationships with either employers or players or assistants – key managerial quality. Siasia wanted so much to rewrite his story, having failed to qualify the Super Eagles for the 2012 Africa Cup. In truth, the damage was partly done before he was called upon, but he could have rescued things by picking players who could have won matches for him in Kaduna and Alexandria. Instead, he left creative actors like Alex Iwobi and Kelechi Iheanacho on the bench and threw his lot with the likes of Aminu Umar.

Can we bring back Eguavoen at this time? Certainly no, which brings me to the question of why even people who are supposed to know better are opposing the idea of a foreign coach for the Super Eagles.

A week ago, on the internet I came across an article by a former captain of the Green Eagles (also a former NFA Board Member), Segun Odegbami. I shuddered going through the piece because it underscored the petty and envious attitude prevalent in Nigeria society and football administration.

Even Odegbami is campaigning against foreign coach! That was the comment of a friend of mine. Sometime in the late 1990s, the same Odegbami was a key member of The Three Wise Men who were sent to Europe to interview and select a foreign coach for Nigeria. His illogical reasoning tainted by prejudices aren’t even valid in a global sport.

Which brings me to the charge by the Minister of Sports, Solomon Dalung, that the NFF must convince him about their ability to pay before he would approve the employment of a foreign coach!

It sounded most ridiculous. A few colleagues have reasoned that the NFF board was now at a weak negotiating point because the Super Eagles failed to qualify for the Africa Cup on successive occasions. Even more ridiculous, if you consider the fact that Mr Dalung haven condoned Giwa’s divisive shenanigans if not surreptitiously encouraged it. Board could chose to resign following the poor outing of a team, however, if it does not, it continues to discharge its duties and function appropriately without any inferiority complex.

I would lay some of the blame at the doorstep of the NFF board over this fiasco. The employment of Sunday Oliseh was a wrong move. They should have known that a leopard does not change its skin. They might have had good intention but they gave him too much latitude and he did collateral damage before they realised he was no good. But again hindsight is 20:20 as NFF Board members aren’t elected on clairvoyance resumes.

Perhaps, we would still have been able to call on Vincent Enyeama for the Super Eagles. Last week, he was mentioned as sixth best goalkeeper in Europe, which is some great achievement. I would prefer that the NFF work assiduously to bring Enyeama back to the team, because goalkeepers get better with age. Gianluigi Buffon, and before him Lev Yashin, Sepp Maier, Dino Zoff, Peter Shilton, David Seaman and Rinat Dassaev proved that.

Back to the issue at hand. The minister’s position is not only untenable, it is condemnable. Is Dalung not aware that his Sports Ministry pays a couple of expatriate High Performance Directors (Angelo Taylor and Eric Campbell, if my memory serves me right) in athletics? Is he unaware that basketball, which is, realistically, lower in ranking to football in Nigeria, has an expatriate coach in the person of American William Voigt? Is Dalung unaware that the Rugby Federation in Nigeria has a foreigner as coach?
Political appointment as minister of sports should really be also based on a modicum of acceptable technical and moral competence.

Why is Nigeria such a nation of political pretenders? Football is the nation’s biggest unifier. Nothing else brings together our peoples across various mental and physical divides than football. Yet, we treat the sport with so much levity. In other climes, national leaders understand the strategic role of football support and peace, national identity and cohesion. Mr Greg Dyke of the English FA and Prime Minister Cameron meet often to give more credence to the above notion.

What is the big deal about employing an expatriate coach with the right expertise and management ability to steer the Super Eagles to new levels of excellence? Despite their fervent nationalism, the US signed on German Jurgen Klinsmann. Not too long ago, Italian Fabio Capello was in charge of England’s Three Lions. Capello went from coaching England to coaching Russia.

Dutchman Guus Hiddink has also coached Russia. French-Pole Henryk Kasperczak spent so many years in Africa coaching Cote d’Ivoire and Tunisia. Frenchman Roger Lemerre coached Tunisia. Brazilian Carlos Perreira coached South Africa not too long ago. Frenchman Claude LeRoy has coached for decades in Africa and won the Africa Cup with Cameroun.

Egypt, which sent us packing from the 2017 AFCON race, has an Argentine, Hector Cuper, in charge. In the soccer world, there are so many individuals from other climes who are thriving whether in charge of national teams or clubs. Neither of the two teams looking likely to reach the final of the UEFA Champions League (Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid) is coached by Spaniards.

The present debate makes me to reflect, and with regret, the lack of action by the NFF Board of 2010, which had discussions with Frenchman Herve Renard at the Africa Cup in Angola, but chose to sign Swede Lars Lagerback to take the Super Eagles to the World Cup in South Africa. Since then, Renard has won the Africa Cup with Zambia (2012) and Cote d’Ivoire (2015), and has now qualified Morocco for the 2017 finals.

In Africa, I am aware that in Ghana, the government pays the salary of Coach Avram Grant. The same thing happens in Egypt, and in most African countries. Why should Nigeria be different? How would we expect a federation that is always broke (because the Government gives it pittance, in line with its very low ranking of sports) to pay for a foreign coach?

The job of Mr. Dalung includes taking important memos to the Federal Executive Council. A memo in respect of the government paying for the employment of a foreign coach for the Super Eagles would be in order, much more useful than Dalung’s pastime of exhuming ‘dead’ bodies.

Incredibly, Dalung has spent more time, energy and resources on resurrecting the long –forgotten case of Chris Giwa, who continues to delude himself that he ‘won’ an election into office as NFF president. Giwa lost everywhere, including at the Court of Arbitration for Sports, a full six months before Dalung came into office.

Dalung’s friend added comic relief to the whole sordid drama when, in one of his ‘actions in charge’, appointed a deceased referee for a Nigeria league match involving his own club!
The sports minister is daily lampooning the NFF or simulating one crisis after the other. At a recent contract signing with Spanish Premier League, Dalung inelegantly and unnecessarily made references to “squabbles among stakeholders in Nigeria football.” Some minister of the Federal Republic!

If as it claims, the government does not have enough money to give to football and still be able to take care of other critical sectors, it can enable legislation that will help the cause of sports. The tax holiday that is so much talked –about is not working because most of the big companies in Nigeria would rather not talk about sports sponsorship, after taking care of extra too many expenses along the way.

Rather, multinationals should and can contribute a percentage of their earnings to an escrow football, nay sports account, for coaching hire and training, and build the capacity of administrators to function optimally.

I only became interested in the persons holding office at the NFF a few months ago when, on a trip to Nigeria, I was invited by a friend to a charity football tournament organised by Seyi Akinwunmi of Lagos FA. At the event, I got to meet Akinwunmi and realised that he is the son of Sylvanus Akinwunmi, who logged remarkable feats as Chairman of the National Sports Commission in the early 1990s. I remember the elder Akinwunmi was in office when we qualified for our first FIFA World Cup, won the Africa Cup in 1994 and also did well at the World Cup in America.

Seyi Akinwunmi has scored respectably on the football and youth development. He is first vice president of NFF. Amaju Pinnick, NFF President brings his accomplishments with Delta State FA and grooming athletes for the national, continental and global laurels to the table. Shehu Dikko (second vice president) is also chairman of the League Company that is being praised for revival and innovations to the local football league.

This balanced triumvirate of accomplished young Nigerians have all it takes between them to stem the rot in Nigeria football. The system of indolence and nepotistic corruption as always in all sectors fights back, enlisting gullible power mongers in reactionary gerrymandering. Amaju, Seyi and Shehu can clean the Aegean stable of the football house so Nigeria can rebuild with strategic determination.

Support, that is what is lacking for the NFF board and management. If they desire a foreign coach, it is the minister’s duty to go the extra mile to convince Mr. President and the FEC. Football is a big issue with Nigerians, and the sooner the sports minister and his team realises that, the better for them and for the Nigeria game.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/05/11/much-ado-about-foreign-coach-for-super-eagles/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:02pm On May 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Barcelona Testing The Waters Regarding Summer Move For David Alaba
[/size]

Barcelona are interested in the acquisition of Bayern Munich’s Austrian-Nigerian wing-back David Alaba in the summer transfer market.

According to Mundo Deportivo, representatives of the La Liga champions have opened a line of communication with the Austria star over a move to the Camp Nou and enquired if he is interested in joining the team before making a bid to Bayern Munich.

The 23-year-old Alaba has informed Barcelona chiefs that he will join the club if they can play him as a central midfielder, the same role he plays for the Austrian national team.

But Barça are in the market for a central defender who is capable of playing on the flank, meaning both parties have to reach a compromise.

This season, Alaba has played 44 games in total across all competitions and has netted twice.

Igho Kingsley
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18996
[/b]

Forgiveness your brother don de go high places.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:10am On May 12, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria need top foreign coach says Eagles star Sodje
[/size]

Sam Sodje in his playing days in England

Former Nigeria international Sam Sodje has told AfricanFootball.com the country need a top foreign coach to return the Super Eagles to the top.

"I won't really want to say foreign coach is what the Eagles need, but I think the rate at which the team is declining, a foreign coach might be what we should consider at this point, no disrespect to our home-grown coaches but not just a foreign coach that is needed just because he's got a different skin colour, but a proven and good one, someone who has the credentials to speak for him,” said Sodje.

“If NFF are not ready for such coach, there is no need to get a foreign coach."

Sodje, who is holding talks with English teams like Manchester City, Derby County, Sheffield Wednesday and Liverpool for partnership with the Delta Elite U16 League, said Nigeria coaches have not shown they are good enough to handle the Eagles.

"No disrespect to Nigerian coaches, but the fact remains we really lack a top-grade manager,” he said.

"There are so many things they can do to improve themselves, though administrators still have a big part to play in this.

"The sad thing is that the few local coaches I have met think they know everything and then they stop learning."

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/628030/Nigeria-need-top-foreign-coach-says-Eagles-star-Sodje
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:11am On May 12, 2016
[size=14pt]
Delighted Amokachi leads Finnish club to victory
[/size]

Amokachi with his players in Finland

Nigerian coach Daniel Amokachi has led his Finnish second division club JS Hercules to their first win of the season as they beat AK Kajaani 3-2 in their first home game.

An elated Amokachi told AfricanFootball.com God crowned his team's efforts.

"We won the game 3-2, it was God who crowned our efforts," Amokachi said to AfricanFootball.com

Nigerians Junior Obagbemiro and Nathan Ibeh played for JS Hercules, who lost their opening league game.

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/628022/Delighted-Amokachi-leads-Finnish-club-to-victory

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:15am On May 12, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Kehinde Fatai: Champions League spot a consolation
[/size]

Kehinde Fatai

Ex-Nigeria youth international Kehinde Fatai has told AfricanFootball.com Sparta Prague’s qualification for next season’s UEFA Champions League is a personal consolation after the team missed out on the league title.

Fatai’s Sparta Prague will finish runners-up behind champions Viktoria Plzen.

They have 61 points, 10 points behind Plzen, but four points clear of third-placed Slovan Liberec with a round of matches to be played.

The former Astra Giurgiu of Romania hitman said he wanted to win the league for the Czech Republic team, but will take heart they will feature in the Champions League qualifiers next season.

"My target wherever I play is to win trophies. When I joined Sparta Prague it was same target, but unfortunately we missed the title but I am happy we will play in Champions league, it's like a consolation for the team," Fatai told AfricanFootball.com

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/628020/Kehinde-Fatai-Champions-League-spot-a-consolation
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:15am On May 12, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ahmed Musa shoots CSKA closer Russian title
[/size]

Ahmed Musa scores in Russia again as CSKA move closer to reclaiming Russian championship

Nigeria international Ahmed Musa scored in his Russian Premier League side CSKA Moscow 3-1 win at Ural on Wednesday to remain top of the league with 59 points from 28 games and move closer to reclaiming the title.

CSKA are now four points clear of their closest rivals and defending champions Zenit St.Petersburg with two rounds of matches still to be played.

A win at home against Krasnoder on Monday will confirm the Russian army club champions again.

Ahmed Musa scored in the 70th minute to seal the victory and take the game beyond the hosts Ural, who paraded Nigeria forward Sylvester Igboun.

The Jos-born star has now scored 12 goals in 28 matches.
http://africanfootball.com/news/627949/Ahmed-Musa-shoots-CSKA-closer-Russian-title
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:16am On May 12, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Eagles Friendlies: Team denied visas
[/size]

Super Eagles Training

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have disclosed officials and a player scheduled for two Super Eagles friendlies in Europe later this month have been denied visas by the French embassy.

According to the NFF, Nigeria’s matches against Mali and Luxembourg are being threatened by denial of entry visa to the only home –based player, two coaches and administrative officials of the three –time African champions.

“We are appealing to the Embassy of France in Nigeria to reconsider its stance and issue visas to these officials,” pleaded NFF general secretary Mohammed Sanusi.

“They are going to Europe for very important assignments as the two matches are key to the preparation of the Super Eagles for future engagements.”

NFF protocol officials revealed on Wednesday that about 60 per cent of the passports taken to the embassy on Friday, 29th April have been returned without visas.

The Eagles play Mali in Rouen, France, on Friday, 27th May, before engaging Luxembourg on Wednesday, 1st June.

All arrangements for the two matches, including payments for stadia use, training facilities and hotel accommodation have been concluded by the organisers.
http://africanfootball.com/news/627940/Eagles-Friendlies-Team-denied-visas
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:18am On May 12, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ranieri chasing Slimani, Musa
[/size]

Islam, Slimani

by Phumzile Ngcatshe

Information currently circulating in Europe is that Leicester City are looking at bringing Algeria and Sporting Lisbon striker Islam Slimani on board.

The Daily Mail in London reports that the English Premier League champions are set to spend £25m on the Algerian international.

Manager Claudio Ranieri is said to be interested in Slimani and has added the player to his transfer targets, which also includes Nigeria's Ahmed Musa.

Apart from Musa, the Italian manager is reported to have confirmed his interest in Pescara striker Gianluca Lapadula with talks said to be continuing with CSKA Moscow regarding Musa.

On the other hand, Lisbon's Slimani, who is valued at £25m, has netted 27 goals this season - sparking interest from Ranieri.

“I just want some new players who are at the level of my starters, and greater tactical co-ordination for the team,” Ranieri told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“We also look to Italy for the market. Lapadula is very good. We've been following him for a while.”

The Foxes manager will have to fight off interest from Crystal Palace for the services of the Algerian, with both the Eagles and Everton said to be interested in Slimani.
http://africanfootball.com/news/627905/Ranieri-chasing-Slimani-Musa
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Pavarotti: 4:06pm On May 12, 2016
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:39pm On May 12, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Porto Rising Star Awaziem Unsure Of Availability For Super Eagles Friendlies
[/size]

Porto teen sensation Chidozie Awaziem is unsure of his availability for the upcoming international friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg in Europe.

Though the 2015-2016 season would have ended, Primeira Liga giants Porto have no obligation to release the central defender for the friendly against Mali at Stade Robert Diochon in Rouen, France on May 27 because the game falls outside Fifa’s international match calendar.

For non-UEFA Confederations, Fifa has permitted national teams to play two friendly games from 30th May to June 7th.

“I can’t say for now if I’ll be available for the friendly games, but I am hoping to be there by the grace of God,” Chidozie Awaziem said to
allnigeriasoccer.com.

“I don’t know if the club have any other engagement though the league would have ended. The club will allow me to go if I don’t have any other engagement with them.

“They are already aware of my invitation but I have not heard from they yet.”

Awaziem broke into Porto’s first team at the end of January and has made nine appearances for the club in the league.
Ifeanyi Emmanuel
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19007
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:55pm On May 12, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Mikel and Musa to miss Mali, Luxembourg friendlies
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/91/e8/john-obi-mikel-nigeria-training_tk37kexa5ly61pi4bk6koaj5w.jpg?t=-1603130461&w=620&h=430[/img]
The duo has been released to participate in the Joseph Yobo testimonial that will take place on May 27 in Uyo.

Nigeria captain John Obi Mikel and his deputy, Ahmed Musa, will not be part of the international friendly matches against Mali and Luxembourg on May 27 and June 1 as they have been released to attend the Joseph Yobo Testimonial.

Yobo, former captain of the Super Eagles, would hold his testimonial game at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium, Uyo on May 27, same day the Eagles take on Mali in Rouen, France. The game was earlier scheduled to take place at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium in Port Harcourt.

The Nigeria Football Federation had come under criticism for choosing the same date for the friendly when it had already been announced that Yobo, who made 100 appearances for the Eagles, had chosen the date for his testimonial.

Striker Emmanuel Emenike lashed out at the NFF’s insensitivy at not respecting Yobo enough and setting a bad precedent for younger players who want to serve their country.

Now the NFF has said the team would be without the captain and his deputy when they play the two important warm up games ahead of the upcoming World Cup qualifiers.

“The NFF leadership has decided that Mikel and Musa should be excused from the two friendly matches in Europe so that they can honour Joseph Yobo, who is having his testimonial game on the same Friday, 27th May that we are playing Mali in Rouen, France.

The two players have been communicated accordingly,” said NFF General Secretary, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi.

This brings to three the number of invited players that would miss the game after striker Aaron Samuel pulled out due to injury.

Midfielder Babatunde Michael has been called up from Moroccan side Raja Casablanca.
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/17252/super-eagles/2016/05/12/23433812/mikel-and-musa-to-miss-mali-luxembourg-friendlies
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:16am On May 13, 2016
[size=14pt]
Igboananike Scores In Vain As Chicago Fire Lose To Vancouver Whitecaps
[/size]

Kennedy Igboananike’s goal at BC Place was not enough as Chicago Fire fell 2-1 to Vancouver Whitecaps in Major League Soccer on Wednesday evening local time.

The Nigerian striker, who is in the possession of a Swedish passport, equalized in the 62nd minute after Blas Perez had opened scoring for the home team.

At the end of the day, Chicago Fire lost after Perez bagged his brace two minutes before the end of the contest.

On 81 minutes, Kennedy Igboananike would have won the game for his team but saw his left footed shot come off the post.

The 27-year-old is the highest goalscorer for Chicago Fire in the American topflight with four goals to his name from eight matches.

Igho Kingsley
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19006

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:18am On May 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Watford Striker Odion Ighalo Demands Xavi Wages At Qatari Club
[/size]

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that representatives of an unnamed Qatar Stars League club continue to thrash out terms with Odion Ighalo’s camp over his signing in the summer, despite genuine interest from Premier League team West Brom.

The Hornets number 24 made his intentions clear right from the word go, that he will only consider joining the club if he is paid yearly wages of ten million euros (or 40 million euros in total over the duration of his contract).

At first, the Qatari club were put off by Ighalo’s astronomical wage demands but finally gave their consent as they are desperate to sign a marquee player.

If the parties can tie up the loose ends, the Nigeria international will earn the same wages as former Barcelona hero, Xavi, who takes home €10m a season at Al Sadd.

Odion Ighalo played all ninety minutes as Watford lost to Norwich City in the Premier League on Wednesday and ended his four-month goal drought in the topflight when he scored in the second half.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19004
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:20am On May 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Oke Akpoveta Scores In Sixth Straight Game; Rilwan Hassan Shines In Midtjylland Win
[/size]

Former Warri Wolves striker Oke Akpoveta continued his impressive performance for IK Frej Taeby in the Swedish Superettan after scoring in the division for the sixth straight game in their 2-2 draw with Ljungskile on Wednesday.

Akpoveta’s 70th minute goal was his sixth goal in the last one month or so and cemented his position as the leading scorer in the Swedish second-tier.

The Lyngby loanee, who played the full game at the Uddevalla Arena, set up IK Frej’s first goal in the seventh minute.

Still in Scandinavia, Rilwan Hassan got back to scoring ways and notched a helper as FC Midtjylland thrashed Hobro IK 4-1 in the Danish Superliga.

The FC Ebedei product has averaged 0.5 goals per game in his last 10 matches for the champions.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19003
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:23am On May 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Premier League Wrap : Ighalo Back On The Goal Trail; Mikel Deployed In Central Defense;Tomori Makes Chelsea Bench
[/size]

Catch up on the performances of players of Nigerian descent in the English Premier League on Wednesday night.

Odion Ighalo took to the field for the 36th time as Watford lost 4-2 to Norwich City at Carrow Road. The Hornets number 24 registered his name on the score sheet in the 51st minute, his first goal in the topflight since hitting target against Newcastle United in January.

The Super Eagles star and Scotland international of Nigerian descent Ikechi Anya clocked up ninety minutes .

England midfielder Ross Barkley played for 45 minutes for Everton as they lost 3-0 to Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

At Anfield, Nigeria captain John Obi Mikel started and completed the match for Chelsea, who drew 1-1 with Liverpool.

Canada U20 international Fikayo Tomori made the Blues’ 18-man squad for the first time in his career but was not given a run-out, while Liverpool young star Sheyi Ojo remained on the bench until the 87th minute.

England U21 international Jordon Ibe was not involved for the Reds.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19001
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:26am On May 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Swindon Town Trigger One-Year Contract Extension For Jonathan Obika
[/size]

With a statement published on their official webpage, Swindon Town have announced that Jonathan Obika will remain with the club next season after triggering a one-year extension to his contract.

A product of Tottenham Hotspur, Obika ended his relationship with the Londoners when he penned a two-year deal with Swindon Town in 2014 with an option for a third season inserted into the contract.

Now 25, he previously spent time on loan at Yeovil Town, Millwall, Crystal Palace,Peterborough United, Charlton Athletic and Brighton while on the books of Spurs due to his lack of first team opportunities.

Jonathan Obika, who is a former England U20 international, made 27 starts and 5 substitute appearances , scoring 11 goals in the third tier in the 2015-2016 season.

The leadership of the Robins also confirmed that ex-Manchester United starlet Nicky Ajose remains under contract with the club.

Igho Kingsley
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18998
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:22am On May 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Michael Babatunde Handed International Lifeline As Mikel, Musa Are Excused
[/size]

Raja Casablanca midfielder Michael Babatunde has been called up to the Super Eagles squad for their upcoming international friendlies against Mali (May 27) and Luxembourg (June 1)

The ex-FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk was handed an invitation after the Nigeria Football Federation excused Obi Mikel (Chelsea) and Ahmed Musa (CSKA Moscow) from the games so both players can take part in Joseph Yobo’s testimonial which will hold on the same date the national team will face Mali in France.

Babatunde, 23, has been in the international wilderness for close to a year, with ex-coach Sunday Oliseh preferring players who turn out for teams in the major leagues in Europe.

He last appeared for Nigeria on June 13, 2015, lasting 62 minutes in the 2-0 win against Chad in an African Cup of Nations qualifier.

There are no question marks regarding the invitation of Babatunde as he has caught the eye since joining Raja Casablanca in January 2016.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19012
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:22am On May 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerian Exports: Uzochukwu, Dike, Oshaniwa Start; Dauda On Song; Nwakali Clocks Up 90 Minutes; Ogude Suspended
[/size]

Catch up on the performances of players of Nigerian descent in the European Leagues on Thursday.

We start off in Holland. PEC Zwolle were forced to a goalless draw in the Eredivisie Europa League playoffs against FC Utrecht. Netherlands youth international Kingsley Ehizibue came off the bench for the home team after 63 minutes.

In the Scottish Premiership, Abiola Dauda scored his fifth goal in the division as Hearts beat Aberdeen 1-0 at the Pittodrie Stadium. The Vitesse loanee subbed out in the 79th minute after netting the game-winner in the 64th minute.

Teammate and Nigeria international wing-back Juwon Oshaniwa played the full game and was booked in the 24th minute.

Super Eagles midfielder Izunna Uzochukwu started and played 74 minutes of OB Odense’s 1-0 win at FC Nordsjaelland in the Danish Superliga.

Still in Scandinavia, Onyekachi Ugwuadu did not make Sarpsborg’s 18-man squad versus Aalesund in the Norwegian Tippeligaen. It finished 1-0 in favour of the home team at the Sarpsborg Stadion.

Elsewhere, Samuel Adegbenro and Suleiman Abdullahi started for Viking in their 1-0 loss to Ohi Omoijuanfo’s Stabaek. The former Norway youth international and Adegbenro played the full game while Abdullahi subbed out after 67 minutes.

Viking had a Nigerian player on the bench, Usmani Sale. Aniekpeno Udoh was not part of the traveling party to Bærum.

Chidiebere Nwakali clocked up ninety minutes in IK Start’s 2-0 loss to Scandinavian powerhouse Rosenborg at the Soer Arena. Striker Austin Ikenna was on the bench for the home team.

Across the border, in Russia, Brian Idowu and Bright Dike were named in the starting line-up as Amkar Perm lost 2-0 at Terek Grozny in a Premier League tie. The Nigeria international subbed out in the 51st minute.

Ex-Norway youth international Chuma Anene remained on the bench for the whole game, Fegor Ogude was suspended after picking up a red card in the last round.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19015
[/b]

1 Like

[b][size=14pt]
Agent Dismisses Fanendo Adi West Ham Link; Work Permit May Scupper Move To Crystal Palace
[/size]

A representative of Fanendo Adi has dismissed reports linking the Portland Timbers striker with a switch to West Ham, and admitted that he might not be granted a work permit since he has not represented Nigeria internationally.

St. Etienne in France plus teams based in Germany, Belgium and China are mulling over a move for the former Dynamo Kiev frontman ahead of the reopening of the transfer window, according to his intermediary.

“There is nothing concrete. Agents called us regarding Crystal Palace but no bid has been made for sure,” Adi’s rep told allnigeriasoccer.com.

“St. Etienne is interested in Adi but can’t pay such money, two German clubs and one in Belgium also want him.

“Crystal Palace showed interest but we are not sure he can play in England because of difficulties getting a work permit.”

Fanendo Adi penned a new deal with Portland Timbers in March which will see him remain at the club until 2019.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19017
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:23am On May 13, 2016
I feel Mba at least deserves to be at Yobo's match. I just don't feel he has been given enough respect for the part he played in Nigerian football history.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:25am On May 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
EXCL: Ahmed Musa's transfer to Leicester 75% complete - Confidant
[/size]

Ahmed Musa

by Samm Audu

AfricanFootball.com can exclusively reveal today Ahmed Musa’s transfer to English Premier League champions Leicester City is now “75% complete”.

In January, Leicester tabled a bid of 18 million pounds for the CSKA Moscow flying winger, but it was rejected by his Russian club, who insisted they wanted him to stay back and win the league championship for them.

“Ahmed move to Leicester is now 75% complete. His former academy coach and former agent have both confirmed that most of the agreements have been reached,” a close confidant of the player, who grew up with him in Jos, informed only AfricanFootball.com

“They have only asked for prayers to ensure everything is completed very soon.”

The source added: “Several other English clubs like Spurs and Manchester United have been linked with Ahmed, but Leicester have clearly won the race for him now.”

It was also understood that the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) excused Ahmed Musa from the friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg partly to allow the player wrap up his transfer to England.

The former VVV Venlo star and Mikel Obi will not feature in the friendlies for them to be part of Joseph Yobo’s testimonial on May 27 in Uyo.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628095/EXCL-Ahmed-Musas-transfer-to-Leicester-75-complete-Confidant
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:29am On May 13, 2016
BascoVanVeli:
I feel Mba at least deserves to be at Yobo's match. I just don't feel he has been given enough respect for the part he played in Nigerian football history.

You mean Sunday Mba right? You are just right about that. Without Sunday Mba's contrubution, who knows if the team would have won gold at the AFCON. But on a second note, how are you sure his Club would allow him to attend?

Sunday Mba, the forgotten Hero.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:32am On May 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Martins Bags Brace To Open Shanghai Goal Account
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:

Shanghai Shenhua's Nigerian forward, Obafemi Martins, ended his goal drought of seven games in the Chinese Super League when he scored twice in his side's 5-0 thumping of second division side, Qingdao Jonoon, in the Chinese Cup on Thursday, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The Super Eagles striker, making his first start for the club since joining, broke his duck from the spot in the 56th minute and capped his brace in the 72nd minute of the encounter to seal his side's win at the Hongkou Stadium on Thursday.

A brace from club top scorer Demba Ba and a sublime strike from Guarin Fredy sealed a place in the next round for Gregorio Manzano's side.

Shanghai Shenhua next face Guangzhou R&F in a league game on Sunday.

Martins has played for Inter Milan, Newcastle United, Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan, Birmingham City, Levante and Seattle Sounders in the Major League Soccer before making a lucrative move to China with ​Shanghai Shenhua​.

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/martins-bags-brace-open-shanghai-goal-account/#D14wZoVWdlEBsKHR.99
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:39am On May 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
NFF Should Prioritise Eagles’ Welfare – Dosu
[/size]

Chibuike Chukwu

LAGOS – The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has been tasked to give priority attention to the welfare of both playing and non-playing staff of the Super Eagles if Nigerians are to see a new era in the team.

Dosu Joseph, former Super Eagles goalkeeper, dropped the hint in a chat with Independent, saying sports in general have become a big business where the various stakeholders are highly motivated.

Emphasizing more on what he meant by motivation, the Atlanta 1996 Olympic gold medalist stressed that it may not necessarily be monetary incentive, insisting that the football house should provide enabling environment for players during national assignments.
“After our failure to qualify for the Cup of Nations again, it is now the duty of the NFF to make sure that a new era is berthed in the team. The era of poor attitude to the welfare of players should be in the past,” he said.

Continuing, the former Regianna of Italy goalkeeper said even though he believes that wearing the green and white colours of Nigeria is the height of every player’s desire, the NFF should make the occasion a memorable one.

“For instance we hear instances of poor training programmes. That should stop starting with the coming friendly matches. Our players are professionals and should be treated as such.

“We should have a clear-cut programmes for these boys, which will suit them and make sure that their bonuses, whether they are home based or not, are paid as at when due.

“I am not saying NFF is not doing well; all I am saying is that as we are approaching a new era after our Cup of Nations failure, there should be a new thing that will be brought on the table. The coaches should also be motivated and encouraged. It is only in such situation that these players will be motivated to give their 100% to the national duties,” he said.

The Super Eagles plays both Mali and Luxembourg in international friendly matches onMay 27 and June 2 respectively.
- See more at: http://independentnig.com/nff-should-prioritise-eagles-welfare-dosu/#sthash.ltctT6OU.dpuf
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:39am On May 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Arsenal Interest in Ighalo off as West Brom Joins Chase
[/size]

Arsenal reported interest in Odion Ighalo has gone cold after he struggled in the second half of the season, but the Nigeria striker will still not be short of suitors in the summer as West Bromwich Albion have joined the race for his signature.

Arsenal was interested in him during the winter window in January, but Ighalo has failed to replicate his electric form from the first half of the season and so the Gunners’ interest has now cooled, according to UK’s Express and Star News.
This comes when West Brom has joined the race to sign the Nigeria international in the summer.

‘The Baggies’ want to add at least two new striker to their squad for next season and are mulling a move for the Nigerian who’s expected to cost less than £15 million.

West Brom wants to buy new forwards in the window to replace Saido Berahino, who will probably be sold, and former Nigeria star Victor Anichebe, whose contract will not be renewed.
The 26-year-old Ighalo has scored 17 goals in all competition in his first top-flight season, netting his 15th EPL goal in a 4-2 loss at Norwich City Wednesday night.

Watford have reportedly received a £10m bid from an unnamed Qatari club, but Ighalo is keen to remain in the Premier League.
He turned down a £300,000-a-week deal in China last summer in order to stay in England, and instead signed a five-year deal at Watford.

Ighalo’s current £30,000-a-week deal at Watford is within Albion’s wage budget.
Chairman Jeremy Peace met up with Pulis and technical director Nick Hammond at the training ground this week to go over the club’s summer plans.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/05/13/arsenal-interest-in-ighalo-off-as-west-brom-joins-chase/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:41am On May 13, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
NFF Releases Mikel, Musa for Yobo Testimonial Game
[/size]

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has decided to allow Super Eagles’ captain John Mikel Obi and his assistant, Ahmed Musa to be part of the Joseph Yobo Testimonial Game planned for the Rivers State capital, Port Harcourt on Friday, May 27.

“The NFF leadership has decided that Mikel (Obi) and (Ahmed) Musa should be excused from the two friendly matches in Europe so that they can honour Joseph Yobo, who is having his testimonial game on the same Friday, 27th May that we are playing Mali in Rouen, France.

“The two players have been communicated accordingly,” NFF General Secretary, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi, confirmed this yesterday.
Nigeria will play Mali in Rouen on May 27 and then take on Luxembourg in Luxembourg on the first day of June.
Yobo’s testimonial, to which he has invited several players from outside the country as well as Super Eagles’ players of his generation, will come up in Port Harcourt.

Joseph Yobo represented Nigeria at both U-20 and senior levels, captaining the Super Eagles at the 2010 and 2014 FIFA World Cups and featuring in six Africa Cup of Nations finals.

He won a century of caps for the senior team, with his last match being the FIFA World Cup Round of 16 defeat by France in Brasilia in 2014.

Meanwhile, Coach Salisu Yusuf has extended an invitation to Morocco-based midfielder Babatunde Michael, who played for Nigeria at the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, to join the squad for the two friendly matches against Mali and Luxembourg.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/05/13/nff-releases-mikel-musa-for-yobo-testimonial-game/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:46pm On May 13, 2016
Orkpekyandega:

You mean Sunday Mba right? You are just right about that. Without Sunday Mba's contrubution, who knows if the team would have won gold at the AFCON. But on a second note, how are you sure his Club would allow him to attend?

Sunday Mba, the forgotten Hero.

Yes and it is sad that a player who contributed so much could get thrown by the roadside so early in his life. At least this lets him know not to expect much from Nigeria down the line.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:42am On May 14, 2016
[size=14pt]
Egwuekwe match winner in Finland
[/size]

Azubuike Egwuekwe

Towering Nigeria defender Azubuike Egwuekwe was the hero of his Finnish club KuPS on Friday as he scored the match winner in a 1-0 win at RoPS.

Gbolaham Salami of KUPs
The former Warri Wolves skipper scored the only goal of the game in the 89th minute.

He has now scored two goals in the league and one in the cup.

Compatriots Paul Onobi and Gbolahan Salami also played the game.

KuPS have now moved to fourth place on the table with 12 points from eight matches, five points adrift of leaders HJK, who parade Nigeria stars Nnamdi Oduamadi and Taye Taiwo.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628138/Egwuekwe-match-winner-in-Finland

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:42am On May 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
NFF sound out Liverpool’s starlet for place in Super Eagles
[/size]

Liverpool's Seyi Ojo and Tosin Adarabioyo of Manchester City in action during a Premier League Under 18 fixture.(Getty)

Reports in England claim The Nigeria Football Federation have made an approach to Liverpool starlet Sheyi Ojo in an attempt to secure his international future.

Ojo has made a taking impression in the 10 appearances he has been given by Jurgen Klopp this season, scoring one goal and making three assists, the most recent of which came against Chelsea on Wednesday.

He is well-regarded by the Football Association and has represented England at every level from Under-16 to Under-19 level but the same was true of Arsenal’s Alex Iwobi, who elected to commit to Nigeria in March.

The 18-year-old, who is expected to start the final game of Liverpool’s campaign at West Brom tomorrow, is in no rush to make any decisions at this point in time but it is a measure of how quickly he has developed that Nigeria are already want him on board.
http://footballlive.ng/footballnews/9ja-news/nff-sound-out-liverpools-starlet-for-place-in-super-eagles/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:47am On May 14, 2016
[size=14pt]
Sunday Mba sent off in final league game in Turkey
[/size]

Sunday Mba

AFCON 2013 hero Sunday Mba ended his season in Turkey on a very disappointing note when he was dismissed in action for his second-tier league team Yeni Malatyaspor on Friday in a 3-1 home loss to Boluspor.

Yeni Malatuaspor finished in the 11th position with 43 points in 34 games.

He was sent off in the 79th with a straight red card.

The 27-year-old striker scored six goals in the league this outgoing season.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628141/Sunday-Mba-sent-off-in-final-league-game-in-Turkey
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:48am On May 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
John Ogu in race for best player in Israel award
[/size]

John Ogu (left)

Nigeria midfielder John Ogu has been short listed for both the best player and best foreign player awards in the Israeli Ligat hA’al, Israel’s top-flight league.

Ogu, 28, has been a big hit since joining Hapoel Be’er Sheva in the summer of 2014, but has had a much more remarkable campaign this year, piloting the affairs of the club from midfield as they top the Israeli league table and inching closer to their first league title since 1976.

Also nominated for the player of the year awards are Elyniv Barda (Hapoel Be’er Sheva), Maor Melikson (Hapoel Be’er sheva), Eran Zahavi (Maccabi Tel Aviv), and Gael Abertman (Maccabi Tel Aviv).

While for the foreign player of the year category, he has teammate and compatriot Anthony Nwakaeme, Nikita Rukavytsya (Beitar Jerusalem), Evans Kangwa (Hapoel Ranana), and Pedro Galvan (Bnei Yehuda) to contend with.

Ogu has scored four great goals in 28 games in all competitions this season.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628130/John-Ogu-in-race-for-best-player-in-Israel-award
[/b]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (16128) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Marjoribanks, slimthugchimee2(m), elyte89, Philosopher1979, villagereporter(m), ekehopp2 and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.