Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:22 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11602339 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (16123) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 10:31pm On May 17, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

There are hundreds of worst cases, does no exonerate Kaita.

Let me give you an instance.

Diego Simeone Vs Beckham, second round, Argentina Vs England in France '98.

David Beckham acted crazily when he (note) hid his face and kicked at Diego Simeone. Unfortunately for Beckham, his action was spotted and he got sent off.

Reason for Beckham's crazy actions, Diego Simeone harassed and fouled him repeatedly in the game. David Beckham could not take it anymore.

Diego Costa Vs Gabriel, Arsenal Vs Chelsea.
Gabriel stupidly stamped on Costa's shin and he got sent off.

Reason for Gabriel's stupid action: Costa was rough on Arsenal players and scratched Gabriel.

There are many crazy incidences but the question is, why make such stupid action? Most times, the players are provoked.

In Kaita's case, there was no evidence of provocation or threat or abuse.

We should just accept it as a moment of madness. Sorry, I can not think that way. There is always a reason.
Forgive me, but what you are saying does not make any sense. You're saying that because you as a person does not know the reason he did what he did then that gives you the right to be the judge and the jury and pronounce him guilty of match fixing.

It would be laughable if it was not saddening. With this amount of hatred 6 years after the incident, I'm almost sure that if you were in Kano on the day of the match, you'd have joined the mob in destroying his family house.

Not humane, bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 10:36pm On May 17, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

There are only two ways it can go. Either you plan to win or you plan to fail. That trip to Germany, was not a plan to win. The reason is because there was a statement released that they were going to Germany to train in similar conditions of the tournament we were preparing for.

If they did not plan to win, they were rigging the team to lose.
Wow...the entire hierarchy of NFF together with the coaching crew planned for the team to fail. That must be one heck of match fixing with a great deal of money involved.

The imagination of your conspiracy theory knows no bounds. There is definitely no room for administrational incompetence and honest mistakes. LOL
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:41pm On May 17, 2016
joseph1013:
Forgive me, but what you are saying does not make any sense. You're saying that because you as a person does not know the reason he did what he did then that gives you the right to be the judge and the jury and pronounce him guilty of match fixing.

It would be laughable if it was not saddening. With this amount of hatred 6 years after the incident, I'm almost sure that if you were in Kano on the day of the match, you'd have joined the mob in destroying his family house.

Not humane, bro.

The point is simple. Most crazy decisions, have reasons. Remember Zidane in 2006 World Cup. He nodded Materrazi and got sent off.

Materrazi later confessed that he verbally abused Zidane. Kluivert got sent off for an elbow in France '98 after a racial abuse. Zuniga almost crippled Neymar with a reckless knee to Neymar '98 back. He retaliated after David Luiz violent defending against the Columbian star player James Rodriguez.

As for Kaita's case, there was no report or statement for a reason for such action that resulted on one of the worst sending off in World Cup history.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:44pm On May 17, 2016
joseph1013:
Wow...the entire hierarchy of NFF together with the coaching crew planned for the team to fail. That must be one heck of match fixing with a great deal of money involved.

The imagination of your conspiracy theory knows no bounds. There is definitely no room for administrational incompetence and honest mistakes. LOL

Are you saying that was a plan to succeed?

I think we have passed the stage of this kind of talk. If you disagree with my point, give your reason why you feel the Trip to Germany was a plan to succeed.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 10:57pm On May 17, 2016
In all this, you're most lucky that in our society here, people can make blatant statements without thinking of the implications or getting worried with being slammed with libel suits.

All your arguments hold no water at all. To top it up, you started shifting the burden of proof. How I go answer when I no be learner.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:35pm On May 17, 2016
In our society, people really lucky they can get away with corrupt acts because of the weak institutions fighting corruption.

There are many cases of fixing that goes on without anyone in the country carrying out proper investigation into the matter, so culprits go free. They stay free to continue committing the similar crimes.

My advice to our young emerging talents is to put their passion over money. Their dreams and handwork will take them farther than any money they make. So please young ones, shun corrupt act in football and keep working hard.

You guys are already talented. Work hard and become the heroes you are meant to become.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maputohq: 10:26am On May 18, 2016
joseph1013:
In all this, you're most lucky that in our society here, people can make blatant statements without thinking of the implications or getting worried with being slammed with libel suits.

All your arguments hold no water at all. To top it up, you started shifting the burden of proof. How I go answer when I no be learner.
he has discharged the burden by providing the video. the burden is on you to prove otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 11:43am On May 18, 2016
maputohq:
he has discharged the burden by providing the video. the burden is on you to prove otherwise.
Come off it! First, I was the one that provided the video. Second, do you mean that video is enough proof to YOU of match fixing? Then you know nothing about engaging in any healthy debate.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maputohq: 1:01pm On May 18, 2016
joseph1013:
Come off it! First, I was the one that provided the video. Second, do you mean that video is enough proof to YOU of match fixing? Then you know nothing about engaging in any healthy debate.
not enough to prove but enough to raise an allegation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:51pm On May 18, 2016
hi GreatJoe hope you are good have to say i'm with joseph on this issue. like giving a dog a bad name to hang it kaita has suffered enough for getting himself stupidly sent off in that greece match but saying he fixed the match based on hearsay and not any solid evidence is a bit much. i remember the said incident he over reacted to a simple jostle with the greek player but i'm willing to give kaita the benefit of the doubt and say he was just silly. at least his own is tepid compared to alex song who went out of his way to elbow mandzukic in the back unprovoked.

kaita may not have been the most talented player but he always gave his all in the green white green up until that incident he was one of our better performing players even had a decent club career playing in the dutch league with sparta rotterdam.

he has paid enough for his silly error (no club career, house getting burnt and general dislike of nigerians). let him go and revive his career in peace.

TheGoodJoe:
In our society, people really lucky they can get away with corrupt acts because of the weak institutions fighting corruption.

There are many cases of fixing that goes on without anyone in the country carrying out proper investigation into the matter, so culprits go free. They stay free to continue committing the similar crimes.

My advice to our young emerging talents is to put their passion over money. Their dreams and handwork will take them farther than any money they make. So please young ones, shun corrupt act in football and keep working hard.

You guys are already talented. Work hard and become the heroes you are meant to become.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:26pm On May 18, 2016
chrisooblog:
hi GreatJoe hope you are good have to say i'm with joseph on this issue. like giving a dog a bad name to hang it kaita has suffered enough for getting himself stupidly sent off in that greece match but saying he fixed the match based on hearsay and not any solid evidence is a bit much. i remember the said incident he over reacted to a simple jostle with the greek player but i'm willing to give kaita the benefit of the doubt and say he was just silly. at least his own is tepid compared to alex song who went out of his way to elbow mandzukic in the back unprovoked.

kaita may not have been the most talented player but he always gave his all in the green white green up until that incident he was one of our better performing players even had a decent club career playing in the dutch league with sparta rotterdam.

he has paid enough for his silly error (no club career, house getting burnt and general dislike of nigerians). let him go and revive his career in peace.

It is okay to believe he acted just stupidly or overreacted crazily. That is okay. But, as for me, who I will not accept it. As long as it drew attention for a case of match fixing from FIFA security officials, I am not alone in that train of thought.

Do I think he has suffered enough? Hard to say because the heartache lives on.

Wish the young man the best. A sad moment hampered his promising career.

Note David Beckham's effigies were burnt by fans and he received death threats too. Although I totally condemn the actions of violence against players.

The key here is that, it was an unprovoked action. I can not still wrap my head around Kaita's action after all these years.

Thanks for the nice contribution.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:29pm On May 18, 2016
chrisooblog:

I still stand by a better review and investigation body into match fixing and team rigging. This will go far in tackling a lot of these that go unpunished.

There is a reason for every action. Even Song's case deserves investigation. A thorough one. When Sani Kaita decided to kick out at the Greek player, there was a reason. I think I should let it go sha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:35pm On May 18, 2016
you welcome boss. fair enough assertion
TheGoodJoe:

It is okay to believe he acted just stupidly or overreacted crazily. That is okay. But, as for me, who I will not accept it. As long as it drew attention for a case of match fixing from FIFA security officials, I am not alone in that train of thought.

Do I think he has suffered enough? Hard to say because the heartache lives on.

Wish the young man the best. A sad moment hampered his promising career.

Note David Beckham's effigies were burnt by fans and he received death threats too. Although I totally condemn the actions of violence against players.

The key here is that, it was an unprovoked action. I can not still wrap my head around Kaita's action after all these years.

Thanks for the nice contribution.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 2:54pm On May 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Eagles defender Troost-Ekong out of Mali clash
[/size]

Troost-Ekong in action in Norway

by Samm Audu

Norway-based defender William Troost-Ekong will miss Nigeria’s friendly against Mali in Rouen, France, on May 27 because of club engagements, AfricanFootball.com has been told.

“Troost-Ekong has been excused for the Mali game on account of a crucial cup game involving his club on May 25. He is his club captain and the earliest he can join the Eagles will be on May 26, which effectively rules him out of the Mali game the next day,” a top official informed AfricanFootball.com

“But he will get his chance in the second friendly in Luxembourg now slated for May 31.”

FK Haugesund will be away to Bodo/Glimt in the fourth round of the NM Cupen on Wednesday, May 25.

Ekong, 22, made his debut for the Super Eagles in June 2015 in an AFCON 2017 qualifier against Chad in Kaduna.

The defender, who is on loan at Norwegian club Haugesund from Belgian club Gent, has represented the Netherlands at U19 and U20 levels as he was born there and his mother is Dutch.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628548/Eagles-defender-Troost-Ekong-out-of-Mali-clash
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 2:57pm On May 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ujah not sure he has done enough for Eagles recall
[/size]

Werder Bremen Forward Anthony Ujah

Werder Bremen striker Anthony Ujah has admitted he does not know whether he has done enough to earn a recall to Nigeria’s Super Eagles.
The 25-year-old Ujah scored 14 goals in a season that saw Bremen escape relegation on the final day, and while he said he keeps working hard, he also admitted he is not sure if that was enough to get him back to the Eagles.

“I have not had a lot of success with the national team,” he told Africa International.

“But I have been working hard at my clubs and my hard work has paid off for my clubs but if that is good enough for the national team, I don’t know.”

Ujah’s last stint with the Super Eagles was the goalless draw with Tanzania in a 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.

He has been part of the team since 2013, but has not been a regular fixture since his debut, despite having a decent goalscoring record in Europe.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628489/Ujah-not-sure-he-has-done-enough-for-Eagles-recall
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 3:00pm On May 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Keshi closing in on PSL job reveals agent
[/size]

Keshi

Former Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi is edging closer to bagging a contract with a top South African club, according to Tim Sukazi, the CEO of Quality Talent Sports (QTS),the agency which now represents the ex-Nigeria star.

AfricanFootball.com had broken the news last week of Keshi’s deal with QTS, one of South Africa’s biggest agencies, and now it has been confirmed that they have made some ‘headway’ in getting a deal for the ‘Big Boss’.

“We have made some headway as it regards getting a job for Mr. Stephen Keshi in South Africa which is what we have been working on,” Sukazi told AfricanFootball.com

However, Sukazi refused to disclose the clubs they have spoken to regarding Keshi, as he said that might destabilise the clubs involved.

“We are not at liberty disclose the names of the clubs at this point because given the current situation in the league, it might destabilise the clubs involved,” maintained Sukazi.

Keshi has been without a job since he was sacked as Nigeria coach in July 2015, but has an impressive resume, having qualified Togo and Nigeria to the World Cup, taking the latter the round of 16 at the 2014 World Cup.

He also won the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations with Nigeria.

By Chris Oguguo
http://africanfootball.com/news/628515/Keshi-closing-in-on-PSL-job-reveals-agent
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 3:02pm On May 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Aluko's Hull City battle Sheffield Wednesday for EPL ticket
[/size]

Hull City Forward Sone Aluko

Nigeria forward Sone Aluko will lead two other Nigerians, Chuba Akpom and Moses Odubajo, as Hull City face Sheffield Wednesday to determine the final team from the English Championship to feature in next season’s English Premier League.

Burnley and Middlesbrough won automatic passages to the English top flight.

Hull City saw off Derby County 3-2 on aggregate to reach promotion playoff final, while Sheffield Wednesday sent parking Brighton Hove 3-1 on aggregate.

Hull City won the first leg at Derby 3-0 only to lose 2-0 at home in the reverse fixture.

Odubanjo played the entire game on Tuesday, but Akpom, who is on loan from Arsenal, was an unused substitute.

Aluko, who was not listed for the second leg playoff, has played in the EPL with Hull City before they were relegated.

The final will be played at Wembley on Saturday, May 28.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628493/Alukos-Hull-City-battle-Sheffield-Wednesday-for-EPL-ticket
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 3:05pm On May 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Akpeyi says Chippa on course for Super 8
[/size]

Daniel Akpeyi of Chippa United gets the ball away from Bongani Zungu of ~Mamelodi Sundowns watched by Aristide Bance of Chippa United during the Absa Premiership 2015/16 game between Chippa United and Mamelodi Sundowns at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth

Ahead of the final round of games of the Premier Soccer League (PSL) in South Africa, Nigeria and Chippa United goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi has said his team must now finish in the top eight.

Chippa are currently sixth on the PSL table with just one game to go, but face stiff competition from Orlando Pirates, Golden Arrows and SuperSport United, who sit seventh, eighth and ninth respectively, with only three points separating the four teams.

A draw will guarantee them a place in the top eight, as well as a place in next season's Super 8 tournament, which Akpeyi said they cannot afford to miss.

"We haven't won the league and we're not in the cup final so our only consolation this season is to finish in the top eight," he told AfricanFootball.com

"We must get the points to finish in the top eight so we can play in the Super 8 next season," he stressed.

It is Akpeyi's first season in the PSL, but he has had a huge impact since joining up from Warri Wolves.

By Chris Oguguo
http://africanfootball.com/news/628470/Akpeyi-says-Chippa-on-course-for-Super-8
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 3:09pm On May 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Taye Taiwo is in super form says Eagles star Oduamadi
[/size]

Oduamadi (right) and Taye Taiwo (left) celebrate in Finland

Nigeria forward Nnamdi Oduamadi has told AfricanFootball.com teammate Taye Taiwo is in the form of his life after his brace and overall display for Finnish club HJK Helsink.

"Taye Taiwo getting a brace was awesome and I am happy for him because he is doing so well with the club. He is in great form," an appreciative Oduamadi told AfricanFootball.com

Oduamadi, who is on loan from Italian giants AC Milan, said HJK have been working hard in training and so deserve their top place on the table in Finland.

"Beating Inter (FC Inter Turku) wasn't easy. It was a tough game as we came back from behind to win,” he said.

"We have been working hard in training and that has reflected in our games, we will keep working hard for more victories."

Taiwo has now scored three goals in nine games, while Oduamadi has scored twice.

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/628448/Taye-Taiwo-is-in-super-form-says-Eagles-star-Oduamadi
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 3:10pm On May 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Yobo gives away shirts, balls, match tickets
[/size]

Joseph Yobo

Former Nigeria captain Joseph Yobo is giving away hundreds of signed football items and match tickets leading up to a testimonial game in his honour on May 27 in Port Harcourt.

Yobo, who played 100 games for Nigeria, will give away signed shirts, boots, balls and tickets in the 10-day period leading up to the games

"I know a lot of people want to attend the game, and I am grateful to everyone. This is a very important time for me and I feel that the fans should share in this too," Yobo said.

"Because the match is marking my 100 games for Nigeria, I want to give out 100 items each. So there will be 100 balls, 100 jerseys, 100 balls and 100 tickets for fans.

"We want to encourage everyone to be part of this, so we will also run a competition for the kids who will walk the stars out to the pitch. Details will be available on our website and social media pages."

Yobo's official social media handles are @jyobo234 on Twitter and Instagram and on Facebook, it is Official: Joseph Yobo.

The game will be staged at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium Port Harcourt on May 27
http://africanfootball.com/news/628454/Yobo-gives-away-shirts-balls-match-tickets
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 3:38pm On May 19, 2016
[size=14pt]
'The Beast' Akinfenwa fires AFC Wimbledon to Wembley
[/size]

Adebayo Akinfenwa 'The Beast'

Nigerian striker Adebayo Akinfenwa scored one of the goals in an English League Two playoff semi-final to help AFC Wimbledon secure a berth in the final.

Wednesday’s 2-2 draw with Accrington Stanley means Wimbledon advance on 3-2 aggregate to the final.

They will now face Plymouth Argyle in the final on May 30 at Wembley Stadium with the winners gaining promotion to League One.

'The Beast', as Akinfenwa is called, was a 46th minute substitute for Tom Elliot and went on to score in the 68th minute to take his team back from two goals down.

Adebayo Azeez also featured in the game for AFC Wimbledon.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628583/The-Beast-Akinfenwa-fires-AFC-Wimbledon-to-Wembley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 3:39pm On May 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Eagles caretaker coach Yusuf dismisses pressure
[/size]

Salisu Yusuf will lead Eagles vs Mali and Luxembourg

Interim Super Eagles coach Salisu Yusuf has insisted he is not under pressure to win this month’s friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg.

Nigeria will play Mali on May 27 in France and Luxembourg four days later, but they have been depleted following the withdrawals of top stars like Chelsea midfielder Mikel Obi, Russia-based forwards Aaron Samuel and Ahmed Musa through injury and other commitments.

But Yusuf, who has worked as an assistant to Stephen Keshi, Sunday Oliseh and Samson Siasia, has maintained he will not be under pressure to win the games.

"I won't be under pressure because there won't be any reason to," said the former Enyimba and Kano Pillars coach.

"They are just friendly games and while they are important for what we want to achieve, we won't be under pressure.

"We have some new players we are giving opportunities for the first time, but no pressure at all."

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) are yet to announce a substantive coach for the team ahead of 2018 World Cup qualifiers beginning in October.

By Chris Oguguo
http://africanfootball.com/news/628586/Eagles-caretaker-coach-Yusuf-dismisses-pressure
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 3:39pm On May 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
John Ogu sings praise of his wife
[/size]

John Ogu (right)

Nigeria international John Ogu has told AfricanFootball.com his wife played a big role in what he has achieved in Israel this season.

The Hapoel Be'er Sheva midfielder has been nominated for best player in Israel and best foreign player in Israel for 2016 as his team are on the verge of clinching the league championship.

Ogu said his wife contributed a great deal to his latest exploits.

"My wife contributed to my success and progress because she has been doing all she needs to do as my wife but I will say everything belongs to God,” he told AfricanFootball.com

“All the praise goes to God almighty."

The former Academica de Coimbra of Portugal midfielder has been outstanding for the Israeli team.

He scored four goals this season.

Former Nigeria skipper Vincent Enyeama won the best player in Israel in 2009.

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/628545/John-Ogu-sings-praise-of-his-wife
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:33pm On May 20, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Orelesi clinches fourth Albanian league title
[/size]

Orelesi champion again in Albania

Former Nigeria youth international Nurudeen Orelesi has told AfricanFootball.com that he is delight to win the Albania league title with Skendebeau Korce for the fourth time.

The 27-year-old player said he gives God all the glory for the feat.

"I am very happy and delighted to be champion again. It has been a God all the way," Orelesi told AfricanFootball.com

The utility player, who could play as a defender or midfielder, has now won the Albania league in 2011/2012, 2012/2013, 2013/2014 and 2015/2016 season.

Orelesi rejoined Skenderbeau Korce in January 2016 from Ukrainian side Metalurg Zaporizhya.

His compatriot, James Adeniji scored 15 goals for Skenderbeau.

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/628691/Orelesi-clinches-fourth-Albanian-league-title
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:33pm On May 20, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ogu celebrates best foreign player in Israel award
[/size]

John Ogu (far right)

Nigeria midfielder John Ogu has said he is grateful to his teammates after he was voted the best foreign player in Israel, seeing off competition from compatriot Anthony Nwakaeme and three others.

The 28-year-old has been a powerhouse for Hapoel Be'er Sheva this term, powering them to the summit of the Israeli Ligat hA'al.

Reacting to the development, an excited Ogu also thanked the fans of his club for the support they have shown him.

"Firstly I want to say a big thank you to God for everything he has done in my life," he wrote on Instagram.

"Thank you to my family, teammates and fans of Hapoel Be'er Sheva for voting,” he said

"I was voted the best foreigner in the league."

He also reserved special praise for compatriot Nwakaeme, with whom he has developed a special relationship.

"Got nominated with my favourite player in the world and my bro @tonynwakaeme,” he said

"Bro it is for us. Thanks to every captain of the teams who voted for me and to all the fans who did as well.

"My focus is on the title on Saturday. God bless us all."

Ogu will emerge champion of Israel with Hapoel if they won their final league game on Saturday.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628652/Ogu-celebrates-best-foreign-player-in-Israel-award
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:52pm On May 20, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
John Terry, Eto'o, Drogba storm Port Harcourt Thursday
[/size]

Former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba with John Terry - Both stars expected in PH Thursday

Top international stars like John Terry of Chelsea, Didier Drogba and Samuel Eto’o are due in Port Harcourt on Thursday for the Joseph Yobo testimonial, organisers have said.

The testimonial will be played at the Adokiye Amesiemaka Stadium in Port Harcourt on Friday, May 27th, and several international football stars both past and present are expected to participate.

Also expected are former and present Nigeria internationals like Austin ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha, Mikel Obi, Emmanuel Emenike and Ahmed Musa.

Yobo, 35, played for European clubs like Everton, Standard Liege and Olympique Marseille amongst others.

He also played 100 times for Nigeria, representing the country at six Africa Cup of Nations and three FIFA World Cups.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628656/John-Terry-Eto-o-Drogba-storm-Port-Harcourt-Thursday
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:52pm On May 20, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Chelsea star Mikel admits 'disappointing' season
[/size]

Mikel

Chelsea midfielder Mikel Obi has admitted he is disappointed the club failed to defend their Premier League crown.

‘The Blues’ finished a disappointing 10th in the just-ended Premier League season after winning it the previous season and were eliminated in the Round of 16 of the UEFA Champions League.

And Mikel said he was disappointed.

“As a player you have to be disappointed looking at the season we had and given the standards we have set for ourselves,” he told AfricanFootball.com

“We made it to the Round of 16 of the Champions League, but now we have to look ahead to next season because sometimes you just don’t get to win titles.”

The 29-year-old experienced some rejuvenation following the arrival of Guus Hiddink after the sacking of Jose Mourinho, and played a big part in Chelsea’s climb to 10th in the Premier League after they had started poorly and even flirted with the relegation zone for weeks.

By Chris Oguguo
http://africanfootball.com/news/628689/Chelsea-star-Mikel-admits-disappointing-season
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:07pm On May 20, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Raheem Lawal Set For Super Eagles Friendlies, Hits Camp May 24th
[/size]

Osmanlıspor’s Raheem Lawal is set for the Super Eagles friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg in Europe after helping his Turkish Super Lig side qualify for next season’s Europa League on Thursday.

The central midfielder and Aminu Umar worked a ninety-minute shift as Osmanlıspor recorded a 1-0 win against Akhisar Belediyespor, thanks to Umar who bagged the winner just before the hour mark.

“I will be at the Super Eagles camp on the 24th of May, after the Eagles friendlies I will travel to Miami (USA) with my family for the holidays, ” Raheem Lawal said to allnigeriasoccer.com.

“We qualified for the Europa League, I am so happy because it wasn’t easy and our team is not a big team.

“I was really impressed with Osmanlıspor after I joined them in the second half of the season. ”

Lawal has hinted that he may not feature for Osmanlıspor in the 2016-2017 campaign, as he is targeting a move to one of the top clubs in Turkey or overseas.

The number 12 said : “ It was really a good season for me, hope I am going to join a big club next season. Any big club in Turkey or Europe. ”

Lawal was in the international wilderness for close to two years until he was recalled by interim Super Eagles coach Salisu Yusuf.

Igho Kingsley
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19099
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:08pm On May 20, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Emeghara Is Top Earning Nigerian Star In MLS Ahead Of Igboananike; Fanendo Adi Ranks Fourth
[/size]

Innocent Emeghara’s guaranteed compensation of $1.3 million for the 2016 season has made him the highest paid Nigerian player in Major League Soccer, ahead of Kennedy Igboananike (Chicago Fire) and Maurice Edu (Philadelphia Union).

The Major League Soccer Players Union has published on its official webpage the basic salaries and guaranteed compensation of all the players in the American top division.

Former Swedish-based striker Igboananike is compensated $901,666.67 every year while United States international Edu ranks third among Nigerian stars, with an annual salary of $793,750.00.

Super Eagles hopeful and Portland Timbers Designated Player Fanendo Adi will make $712,500.00 this year, and is fourth out of the 13 players of Nigerian descent.

Houston Dynamo pair Anibaba Jalil and Ibeagha Sebastien are the least paid Nigerian players. They are both guaranteed $62,500 in 2016.

Nigerian MLS Players and Guaranteed Salary For 2016

1) Innocent Emeghara - San Jose Earthquakes - $1,300,000.00
2) Igboananike Kennedy - Chicago Fire - $901,666.67
3) Maurice Edu - Philadelphia Union - $793,750.00
4) Fanendo Adi - Portland Timbers - $712,500.00
5) Amobi Okugo - Portland Timbers - $325,000.00
6) Sunday Stephen - Real Salt Lake - $233,000.00
7) Ike Opara - Sporting Kansas - $131,250.00
cool Akindele Tesho - FC Dallas - $107,500.00
9) Alashe Fatai - San Jose Earthquakes - $90,500.00
10) Okwuonu Boyd - Real Salt Lake - $86,000.00
11) Adekugbe Samuel - Vancouver Whitecaps - $75,000.00
12) Ibeagha Sebastien -Houston Dynamo - $62,500.00
Anibaba Jalil - Houston Dynamo - $62,500.00

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19098
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:09pm On May 20, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerian Exports: Ndidi Notches Goal, Assist ; Aminu Scores; Saviour Returns; Omeruo Shines Again; Aiyegbeni Missing; Okaka Sent Off
[/size]

Catch up on the performances of players of Nigerian descent in the European Leagues on Thursday.

Former Belgium youth international Funso Ojo saw 90 minutes of action in Willem II’s 2-1 defeat to NAC Breda in the Eredivisie promotion/relegation playoffs.

Across the border in Belgium, Racing Genk thrashed Anderlecht 5-2 with Wilfred Ndidi getting on the score sheet in the 78th minute. The ex-Flying Eagles star,who played the full game at the Cristal Arena, recorded an assist two minutes before he scored.

Italy international with Nigerian roots Stefano Okaka started for the Purple & White but lasted only ten minutes on the pitch following his dismissal. Imoh Ezekiel managed an 11-minute cameo for the visitors.

Nigeria striker Moses Simon (Gent) and Joseph Akpala (Oostende) played the full game for their respective teams but fired blanks as the 2015 champs won 1-0.

Nigeria youth international Saviour Godwin played his first league game for over four months after he was introduced in the 86th minute.

In the Scottish Premiership Playoffs Final, Game 1, Temitope Ayoluwa Obadeyi started for Kilmarnock in their 1-0 loss to Falkirk. He was booked in the 69th minute for a foul.

Over to the Turkish Super Lig. Ex-Super Eagles star Yakubu Aiyegbeni was spared the agony of playing for Kayserispor in their 6-0 loss to Galatasaray at Ali Sami Yen Spor Kompleksi Turk Telekom Arena.

John Chibuike played the entirety of Gaziantepspor’s 2-0 win at home to Antalyaspor. On the other hand, new Super Eagles invitee Gbenga Arokoyo was an unused substitute.

Raheem Lawal and Aminu Umar started and completed Osmanlispor FK’s 1-0 win over Akhisar Belediye Genclik Ve Spor. The striker netted the winner in the 59th minute.

The defensive work from Kenneth Omeruo was excellent in Kasimpasa’s 6-0 rout of Trabzonspor. The Chelsea loanee was on parade for 90 minutes.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19100
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:09pm On May 20, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Agent Clarifies Aaron Samuel Has NOT Agreed A Three-Year Deal With CSKA Moscow
[/size]

Aaron Samuel’s sole intermediary, Atta Aneke, has played down suggestions at home and abroad that claimed that the Nigeria international will pen a three-year deal with CSKA Moscow after surgery.

And the Norwegian-based agent, who also handles the affairs of Watford’s Odion Ighalo, has stressed that contract talks due to hold early this month did not take place after his client damaged knee ligaments in the Cup final, adding that the Army Men have no clause in the player’s contract that will be activated.

“I have not been to Russia yet, we can’t agree anything with CSKA Moscow until we sit down and see what they have to offer,” says Atta Aneke to allnigeriasoccer.com.

“ There is no duration of contract stated in the loan deal, only the agreement they have with Guangzhou R&F.”

Aneke also clarified that the extent of injury picked up by Aaron Samuel will be fully discovered when he visits the surgeons in Germany, amid reports that he will return to action a month before the African World Cup qualifiers resume in October.

“Aaron Samuel will undergo surgery at the end of this month in Germany. It depends on what the doctors say before we know when he can start playing again. Until he does the operation, we’ll know how serious it is,” he concluded.

Aaron Samuel, 21, was in excellent form before he picked up the injury, having scored 3 goals in his last five games.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19104
[/b]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (16123) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: hatakekakashi and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.