Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,421 members, 7,812,237 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:27 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11614250 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (16127) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:49am On May 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Abiola Dauda fires fifth goal for Scottish club Hearts
[/size]

Abiola Daudu (left)

Nigerian-born striker Abiola Dauda grabbed his fifth goal for Scottish club Hearts as they pipped Aberdeen 1-0.

The 28-year-old Dauda, who also holds a Swedish passport, started on the right of Hearts’ attack against second-placed Aberdeen and was a handful for the opposition defence before hitting the target in the 64th minute to take them to 64 points, which guarantees them a place in next season’s Europa League.

Dauda is on loan from Dutch club Vitesse Arnhem and scored three goals in the Eredivisie before moving to Scotland, where he has now scored five times to make it eight goals in 30 games for both clubs in both leagues.

His compatriot, Juwon Oshaniwa, played all 90 minutes and was booked in the 24th minute.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628101/Abiola-Dauda-fires-fifth-goal-for-Scottish-club-Hearts
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:57am On May 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
John Ogu cheered up by Player of the Year nominations
[/size]

John Ogu (left)

Nigeria international John Ogu has said he is delighted to be nominated for both the Best Player and Best Foreign Player of the Year awards in Israel.

The left-footed midfielder has been a powerhouse for Hapoel Be’er Sheva this season, playing a huge role as they close in on their first league triumph in 40 years.

His contributions have not gone unnoticed, which has warranted his nominations for both awards and he is delighted to have been nominated.

He said: “It feels great to be nominated for the player of the season and as one of the best foreign player in Israel League,” he said via his official twitter handle.

His teammate and compatriot, Anthony Nwakaeme, is also nominated in the Best Foreign Player of the Year category.

Ogu started his professional career with NK Drava in Slovenia and has since had stints with Academica de Coimbra in Portugal, Almeria in Spain, before he joined Hapoel in the summer of 2014.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628134/John-Ogu-cheered-up-by-Player-of-the-Year-nominations
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:07am On May 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ighalo shocked by exit of Watford boss
[/size]

Flores and Ighalo in happier times at Watford...

Nigeria striker Odion Ighalo has said he is shocked manager Quique Sanchez Flores will quit Watford at the end of the season.

Flores revealed he and the club did not agree on the review for the season.

“I will say I am shocked the coach is leaving,” Ighalo said on television.

“When we won promotion to the Premier League, the target was for us to achieve 40 points so as to remain in the top league and we did that, and also reached the semi-finals of the FA.

“He has done a great job.”

The Nigeria striker was also quick to admit that amid high expectations, Watford struggled in the second half of the season.

“From fighting to stay up, expectations rose and people were talking about us featuring in the Europa League. These expectations messed things up for us,” he said

“The second half of the season was not good for team and me personally.”

Watford are 13th on the table going into Sunday’s final game at home against Sunderland.

They have 44 points from 37 matches.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628132/Ighalo-shocked-by-exit-of-Watford-boss
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:08am On May 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Arokoyo says it's time to shine with Eagles
[/size]

Arokoyo (far left)

Gazientepspor of Turkey defender Gbenga Arokoyo has said this is his time to shine with the Super Eagles following his invitation for friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg.

The central defender was one of the first players assembled by former Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi when he took over in 2011, and then he was playing for Kwara United.

But a move to Europe shortly after meant he never got a look-in until last month, when he was called up for the games in France and Luxembourg respectively, and he said he believes this is his ordained time.

“I believe this is God’s appointed time and I’m happy it has finally come,” he told AfricanFootball.com

And when asked if he thought he deserved the call-up given an array of Nigerian defenders in Europe, Arokoyo said he believes it is the grace of God that has seen him selected among so many options.

“I believe so many people deserve it, but it takes the grace of God to be singled out and I’m very grateful to God,” he said.

The 23-year-old Arokoyo is expected to star in the games, especially given the number of withdrawals from the squad with skipper Mikel Obi and Ahmed Musa being the latest.

By Chris Oguguo
http://africanfootball.com/news/628153/Arokoyo-says-its-time-to-shine-with-Eagles
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:19am On May 14, 2016

Another that needs a look in by the national team handlers is John Ogu.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:24am On May 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Oghenekaro Etebo To Jet Out To France With Super Eagles Backroom Staff
[/size]

CD Feirense attacking midfielder Oghenekaro Etebo has confirmed his availability for the upcoming friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg and added that he will travel to France along with the Super Eagles backroom staff.

Before his trip to Nigeria, the Dream Team VI star will be involved in a crucial game for his Portuguese setup on Saturday when they take on Chaves and a win over the opponents will see his side promoted to the topflight.

“Etebo will be available for both friendlies versus Mali and Luxembourg, he will arrive Nigeria from Portugal hopefully next week,” Etebo’s representative Eddy Ogbemudia told allnigeriasoccer.com.

“The Portuguese Segunda Division ends this weekend, arrangements are already on ground for him to fly with the team from Abuja to France.

“We pray and hope his team secure qualification to the top division of the Portuguese League, since they play a crucial game against second placed Chaves tomorrow (Saturday) by 3pm.”

The former Warri Wolves star has forced himself into the Super Eagles set-up on the back of his imperious displays for the Dream Team VI.

“The young man is excited and always happy anytime he is called to the national team because it is another opportunity to represent the country be it Under 23s or the Super Eagles,” Ogbemudia concluded.

Etebo has played three games for CD Feirense since he debuted, and scored against Academico Viseu at the end of last month.

Ifeanyi Emanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19026
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:30am On May 14, 2016
[size=14pt]
Wydad Casablanca Want Cameroon Legend Samuel Etoo To Partner Chikatara In Attack
[/size]

Chisom Chikatara and Cameroon legend Samuel Eto’o could be strike partners at Moroccan Botola Pro side Wydad Casablanca in the 2016-2017 season.

According to elbotola.com manager of the Rouges et Blancs , John Toshack, has confirmed that they are interested in the signing of Eto’o from Antalyaspor when the transfer window opens.

“ We would be glad to see Eto’o , ” John Toshack said to the publication.

Wydad Casablanca have already announced that they have struck a deal with Abia Warriors over the transfer of Super Eagles frontman Chisom Chikatara with effect from this summer, subject to the release of his International Transfer Certificate.

Igho Kingsley
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19030

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:31am On May 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerian Exports : Egwuekwe Scores Again; Super Eagles Stars Salami, Onobi & Rabiu Work 90-Minute Shift; Moses Ogbu, Bello Benched
[/size]

Allnigeriasoccer.com checks on the progress of players of Nigerian descent in the European Leagues on Friday.

Former Belgium youth international Funso Ojo went the distance in Willem II ’s hard fought 1-0 victory against Almere City FC in the Dutch Eredivisie qualification.

Moses Ogbu remained on the bench as Joenkoepings Soedra were held to a 1-1 draw by Helsingborg at Stadsparksvallen in the Swedish Allsvenskan. The 25-year-old striker had been involved in all his team’s games prior to today’s contest with Helsingborg.

In Finland, Super Eagles defender Azubuike Egwuekwe bagged a late winner for KuPS in their 1-0 win over William Oluremi John’s RoPS.

Egwuekwe, Gbolahan Salami, Aliyu Abubakar and Paul Onobi went the full ninety minutes while the ex-USA U20 international was introduced ten minutes from time.

New signing Yero Bello was one of the four substitutes that did not get game time as Ilves beat PK-35 Vantaa 2-0 .

In Slovakia, champions AS Trencin thrashed Zilina 5-2, with Kingsley Madu, Rabiu Ibrahim and Samuel Kalu making the starting XI. Aliko Bala saw 15 minutes of action while Madu subbed out in the 66th minute.

Igho Kingsley

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19027
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:31am On May 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Super Eagles Striker Chinedu Obasi Starts Training With Lillestrom
[/size]

Chinedu Obasi is poised to make a sensational return to the Norwegian Tippeligaen after the striker started training with Lillestrom, with a view to a transfer this summer.

The Nigeria international started off his professional career with Lyn Oslo along with his good pal, John Obi Mikel (Chelsea), spending three years with the capital club prior to his shift to Hoffenheim in Germany.

“Chinedu Obasi has been in Norway training with Lillestrom for the past three days, Lillestrom just want to see that he is not injured before they sign him, ” a top source told allnigeriasoccer.com.

“The director is interested in signing him; Chinedu wants to use Lillestrom to relaunch his career before he moves on.”

Obasi, who has also played for Schalke 04 in Germany, trialed with Sunderland in October 2015 but nothing came out of it.

If he is offered a contract, he will join Fred Friday and Innocent Bonke on the books of Lillestrom.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19024
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:32am On May 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ighalo Pulls Plug On 40 Million Euros Move To Qatar, Rep CLAIMS Manchester United Still Want Watford Star
[/size]

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that Odion Ighalo will not be moving to the Qatar Stars League, as the Nigeria international prefers to remain in the English Premier League for the foreseeable future.

An unnamed team based in the Persian Gulf were willing to offer the Watford striker a four-year deal and annual wages of ten million euros, and talks had taken place with his intermediary.

This website can reveal that the most concrete interest so far for Ighalo’s services has come from West Brom though his representative has claimed that he is drawing interest from the so-called top six sides in the Premier League, including Manchester United and West Ham.

This is not the first time the Super Eagle has rejected a transfer to Asia, with the player and his agent pulling out of a move to Chinese First Division club Hebei China Fortune in summer of 2015 that would have seen him pocket £3million per season.

Odion Ighalo has made 41 appearances this season, scoring 17 goals.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19022
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:08pm On May 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Floppy Foursome! Top Nigerian Players Who Fell Short Of Expectations In Europe This Season
[/size]

Completesportsnigeria.com's ADEBOYE AMOSU highlights the travails of four top profile Nigerian players who failed to perform up to the expectations of the fans and their clubs in the outgoing season.

EMMANUEL EMENIKE‎ (West Ham United)

The bulky forward arrived English Premier League side West Ham United on loan from from Fenerbahce of Turkey during the January transfer window.

The former Russia- based striker however failed to make an impact in the English top flight, failing to register a goal in the league so far.

Emenikes' only goals for the Hammers came in the 5-1 FA Cup win against Blackburn Rovers in February.

Emenike's hopeful season- long loan move to United Arab Emirates side, Al Ain was earlier terminated by the club due to his poor form.

VICTOR MOSES (West Ham United)

The winger started his loan spell at West Ham United on a good note as he was voted man of the match on his debut against Newcastle United.

In his second game against Manchester City, he scored the opening goal as the Hammers beat City 2-1 at the Etihad Stadium.

But like in his previous stint at Liverpool, he soon fizzled out due to injury and loss of form.

‎EFE AMBROSE (Celtic)‎

Though he won the Scottish title for the fourth time with Celtic, the centre- back failed to make an impact at the club.

Well known for his horrendous mistakes, Ambrose even copped some flak from his own fans after some high- profile errors.

He is no longer a regular at the club and the fans have repeatedly asked for his sale.

OGENYI ONAZI (SS Lazio)

Once a regular with Italian side, SS Lazio, Ogenyi Onazi has struggled for regular playing time at the club this season.

Last season, he made big impact at the club scoring in the league that helped Lazio secure a Champions League ticket.

The combative midfielder has made 19 appearances for the Rome- based outfit in all competitions this term scoring a paltry two goals.

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/floppy-foursome-top-nigerian-players-fell-short-expectations-europe-season/#g8roWy8jSIULLzOw.99
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:08pm On May 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Akpoborie: Only Three Excellent Nigerian Players In Europe This Season
[/size]

By James Agberebi:

Former Nigeria international Jonathan Akpoborie has described the outgoing European football season as a disappointing one for Nigerian players.

For the second time in a row, the Super Eagles failed to qualify for the Africa Cup of Nations which comes up in Gabon next year.

Also in the Glo-CAF award, no Nigerian player made the final three shortlist, as Gabon and Dortmund forward Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang was crowned Africa Footballer of the Year.

"I have to mention only Odion Ighalo and Kelechi Iheanacho as outstanding. Alex Iwobi, towards the end of the season, has done immensely well," Akpoborie told Completesportsnigeria.com.

"And I'm happy he (Iwobi) is developing well and is part of the Nigeria senior national team.
Read Also: Agu, Lawal Pay Tribute To Late Yekini Four Years On

"Apart from these three, it has not been a very good season for Nigerian players especially for players like Victor Moses and Emmanuel Emenike."

Akpoborie, who played most of his professional football in the German Bundesliga, however expressed hope that there will be a change of fortunes in the upcoming season.

"The season is about to round off, we missed out on qualifying for the Cup of Nations but we hope the new season will bring better things for them," he added.

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/akpoborie-three-excellent-nigerian-players-europe-season/#pJYKuZbRfkQippa6.99
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:27am On May 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ighalo keen to stay at Watford despite Flores exit
[/size]

The Nigerian is happy with life at Vicarage Road and remains committed to the Hornets
Watford forward Odion Ighalo has said that Quique Flores’ departure as manager has no bearing on his future at the club.

The 26-year-old, who joined the Hornets from Granada, was quick to praise the Spaniard, who will leave the club at the end of the season, but insists he will not seek an exit from the club despite the decision of the management.

"A lot of clubs were interested in January and I turned down a lot of money from China and even in the Premier League," Ighalo told Sky Sports.

"I decided to stay and I am still happy I stayed. I know offers will come. My agent is going to sit down with Gino (Pozzo, owner of Watford) and talk. I have a four-year contract and I am happy if they want me to stay.

"We will see how it goes. I love the fans here, they supported me even when things were not going well, that's all you can want. If Gino wants to keep me I am happy to stay."

Th Nigerian claimed he was "shocked" by the news of Flores' departure but is backing the club to find the right replacement.

"Quique has done a great job," he continued.

"I can remember before the start of the season the target was 40 points to remain in the Premier League. We did that and got to the FA Cup semi-finals.

"But the Pozzos know best. Gino always gets it right, even last year when he let Jokanovic leave people thought why is this guy leaving who took us to the Premier League, but Quique came in and did the job.

"They will bring in someone who will do the job. I feel for Quique as he is a nice guy, a calm guy, and I am happy with the way he works.

But I still trust the Pozzos, I think they will go for the best and whoever comes in will do a great job."
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4110/nigerians-abroad/2016/05/15/23538652/ighalo-keen-to-stay-at-watford-despite-flores-exit
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:34am On May 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ujah’s Werder Bremen saved from relegation, Balogun's Mainz seal Europa League Berth
[/size]

The four-time Bundesliga champions finished the season in 13th spot but will play top flight football next season after a favourable twist of fate
Anthony Ujah’s Werder Bremen have been saved from relegation from the German Bundesliga after defeating Eintracht Frankfurt 1-0 on the Saturday.

The River Islanders who have won the topflight diadem four times in their history were far from impressive this season and faced the devastation of playing second tier football next season.

But Chelsea loanee Papy Djilobodji 88th minute strike ensured they retained their topflight position next season.

The win saw them hat saw them end the campaign in 13th position while Frankfurt will now play a two-legged playoff with the third-placed side in the second tier, Nurnberg, to decide which club will play in the top flight next season.

Ujah boasts of 24 appearances and 11 goals this term.

Meanwhile, Leon Balogun returned to FSV Mainz's bench after serving a two-match ban and his side’s 0-0 draw at home to Hertha Berlin was enough to hand them a Europa League berth next season.
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4110/nigerians-abroad/2016/05/15/23538802/ujahs-werder-bremen-saved-from-relegation-baloguns-mainz
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:37am On May 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria vs. Luxembourg friendly brought forward
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/85/6e/super-eagles-training-in-kaduna_1w57ex9vrxu91vvif8cr22036.jpg?t=-1603126333&w=620&h=430[/img]
The Josy Barthel showdown had been set to go ahead on the first day of June but it has been moved because of the Tour de France
Nigeria’s eagerly-awaited meeting with Luxembourg has been brought forward 24 hours, meaning it will now take place on May 31, 2016.

The game at the Josy Barthel Stadium had been scheduled to go ahead on the first day of June but that would not come to pass as the hosts are participating in the Tour de France cycling competition.

“The change in date will not in any way affect our program,” said team administrator Dayo Enebi.

“The entire contingent will move to Luxembourg from Rouen in France, where we will play Mali on 27th May. We will still have three days to train for the match against Luxembourg.”

He also confirmed that a number of technical and administrative officials have now been issued Schengen visas, enabling them to enter the country for the game.

Nigeria face Mali in Rouen on 27th May and play Luxembourg in that country on 31st May, as part of preparations for the first matches of the 2018 Fifa World Cup qualifying series.
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/17252/super-eagles/2016/05/15/23567362/nigeria-vs-luxembourg-friendly-brought-forward
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:45am On May 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Scotland
Abiola Dauda sent off on final day in Scotland
[/size]

Abiola Dauda

Nigerian striker Abiola Dauda has ended his loan spell at Scottish club Hearts on a disappointing note after he was sent off in a 2-2 draw with St.Johnstone.

The 28-year-old Dauda started as one of two strikers for Hearts in their final league game of the season, and despite already having finished third before the sound of the first whistle, both clubs – third and fourth respectively on the table – had to play for pride on Sunday.

And it was no surprise when St Johnstone went two goals up inside the first 12 minutes, but Dauda played his part in ensuring they halved the deficit shortly after.

The striker had scored twice in his last three games, and would have been hoping to sign off on a high, but the contrary was the case as he was shown a straight red card in the 57th minute for unsportsmanlike behaviour.

He scored five goals in total for Hearts, and will return to his parent club Vitesse Arnhem ahead of next season.
africanfootball.com/news/628331/Abiola-Dauda-sent-off-on-final-day-in-Scotland
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:47am On May 16, 2016
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Premier League 2015/2016 Nigeria
Iheanacho gives Manchester City Champions League spot
[/size]
Kelechi Iheanacho’s fifth minute goal at Swansea City was all Manchester City needed to edge past rivals Manchester United to the fourth UEFA Champions League ticket in the EPL on Sunday.

It was his 14th goal in all competitions in his debut season in the EPL.

Nigeria starlet Iheanacho scoffed several other chances therafter, so too Sergio Aguero, as City held on to draw with Swansea in Manuel Pellegrini’s last game in charge at The Etihad.

City finished on 66 points and even though Manchester United home game against Bournemouth was not played because of security concerns, this tally was enough for City to clinch a Champions League place next season at the expense of their crosstown rivals.
africanfootball.com/news/628300/Iheanacho-gives-Manchester-City-Champions-League-spot

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:54am On May 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Super Eagles Striker Chisom Chikatara Bemoans Penalty Miss
[/size]

Chisom Chikatara has spoken of his frustration after missing an opportunity to score in Sunday’s Nigeria Professional Football League clash between Abia Warriors and Rivers United.

The Super Eagles striker would have doubled the advantage for the home team in the second half but his spot kick was saved by goalkeeper Rotimi Sunday.

“I was over confident. I thought that I had scored already. That’s why I missed,” Chikatara said of his shocking effort from 12 yards.

Rivers United had conceded a penalty in the final minute of added time, with captain Austin Festus handling the ball in the box.

The 1-0 defeat sees United fall to sixth on the standings with 28 points from 17 matches while Abia Warriors rose two places and now occupy second place with 30 points from 16 matches.
Igho Kingsley
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19051
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:03am On May 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerian Exports: Obi Opens Torino Account; Kayode Scores; Efe & Omeruo Impress; Uche Benched; Dauda Dismissed
[/size]

Catch up on the performances of players of Nigerian descent in the European Leagues on Sunday.

Fred Onyedinma was an unused substitute in Millwall’s 3-1 win against Bradford City in the Football League One Semi-final, Game 1 at Valley Parade.

In the Italian Serie A, Joel Chukwuma Obi opened his account for Torino in their 2-1 loss to Empoli at Stadio Carlo Castellani.

The ex-Inter Milan starlet was first booked in the 27th minute before pulling a goal back for his team in the 56th minute. Obi was on parade for 71 minutes.

Still in Italy, Eddy Onazi started and played for 84 minutes in Lazio’s 4-2 loss to Fiorentina in the capital, while Carpi striker Jerry Mbakogu was on the bench for his team’s 2-1 away win at Udinese.

In Spain, Ikechukwu Uche made Malaga’s 18-man squad in their final game of the season against Las Palmas , but wasn’t given a run-out. The Tigres loanee managed three appearances for Los Boquerones this term.

In the Eredivisie Europa League playoffs, Holland youth international Kingsley Ehizibue subbed in after 68 minutes as PEC Zwolle were humiliated 5-2 at the Stadion Galgenwaard by FC Utrecht.

Elsewhere, Super Eagles rising star Moses Simon played the last 13 minutes of Gent’s 4-2 loss at Zulte-Waregem .Teammate Peter Olayinka wasn’t involved for the 2015 champs.

Italy international Stefano Okaka fired blanks in Anderlecht’s 4-0 loss away to Club Brugge. While he was involved for 75 minutes and picked up a booking on 39 minutes, Dream Team VI star Imoh Ezekiel was an unused sub.

Elsewhere, in the Scottish Premiership, Efe Ambrose assisted the Celtic goalkeeper to post a shutout in the champions 7-0 rout of Motherwell . The defender lasted the distance .

Vitesse loanee Abiola Dauda was shown a red card in the 57th minute for a terrible challenge as Hearts were held to a 2-2 draw by St. Johnstone..

Left-back Juwon Oshaniwa had earlier been booked in the first half in the 28th minute and had to be substituted seven minutes out of intermission.

In the Danish Superliga, Super Eagle Izunna Uzochukwu was on the pitch for 60 minutes as OB Odense lost 1-0 to Hobro at TREFOR Park.

John Owoeri was an unused sub in BK Hacken’s 4-1 rout of Hakeem Araba’s Falkenbergs FF in the Swedish Allsvenskan. Araba played the full ninety minutes at Falkenbergs IP and picked up a caution in the 73rd minute
Oestersunds FK defeated IFK Gothenburg 2-0. Monday Samuel, who trained with the Nigeria U23s in December 2014, was in action for 60 minutes, while his teammates Alhaji Gero and Michael Omoh were benched.

In the Austrian Bundesliga, Olarenwaju Kayode put Austria Vienna 2-0 up in the 90th minute in his team’s 3-0 rout of Bright Edomwonyi’s Sturm Graz. The ex-Flying Eagles striker was shown a yellow card in the closing minutes then subbed out while Bright played the full game.

Over to the Turkish Super Lig, Raheem Lawal started and played for 90 minutes as Osmanlispor FK lost 3-1 at Besiktas. The midfielder was cautioned in the 89th minute.
Umar Aminu was not involved for the visitors.

Super Eagles central defender Kenneth Omeruo has put his injury worries behind him, having lasted the distance in Kasimpasa’s 7-0 hammering of Mersin.

In the Russian top division, Henty Ezekiel was in action for 87 minutes as Lokomotiv Moscow shared the spoils with Zenit St Petersburg (1-1). The former AC Milan starlet was booked in the 50th minute.

Tunde Adeniji came on in the 78th minute in Levski Sofia’s 1-0 win at Pirin Blagoevgrad in the Bulgarian topflight. He is yet to score since his transfer was completed.

Michael Odibe was suspended for Concordia Chiajna after his dismissal versus Botosani, but compatriot Christian Obodo worked a ninety-minute shift in the team’s hard fought 3-2 victory against CSMS Iasi.
Igho Kingsley
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19050
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:34am On May 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Aaron Samuel clinches 3-year CSKA contract
[/size]

Eagles Striker Aaron Samuel

Aaron Samuel will bag a three-year contract with Russian champions-in-waiting CSKA Moscow after his knee surgery, a close source to the Nigeria striker specially told AfricanFootball.com

Samuel, 21, signed with CSKA on loan from Chinese club Guangzhou R&F in February with an option to make the move permanent, subject to performances.

He scored three goals in 10 games - with most of his appearances coming off the bench - before suffering a miniscule injury recently.

And AfricanFootball.com has been told CSKA will activate the clause to keep him, but will also need the player's consent as well.

"A permanent deal with CSKA Moscow is done, and it should be concluded after his surgery," the source told AfricanFootball.com

"The club like him and they will keep him all things being equal. He just needs to have a successful surgery."

Samuel is scheduled to have a surgery in Germany and he has been ruled out of Nigeria's friendlies with Mali and Luxembourg.

By Chris Oguguo
http://africanfootball.com/news/628426/Aaron-Samuel-clinches-3-year-CSKA-contract
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:34am On May 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ahmed Musa scores 14th goal as CSKA close in on title
[/size]

Ahmed Musa scores in Russia again as CSKA move closer to reclaiming Russian championship

Nigeria international Ahmed Musa scored his 14th goal this season as CSKA moved closer to reclaiming the Russian championship following a 2-0 home win over Krasnoder.

CSKA now have 62 points from 29 matches and will need only a draw in their final game of the season at Rubin Kazan on Saturday to beat off the challenge of second-placed Rostov, who have 60 points.

Ahmed Musa told AfricanFootball.com the target is to win the league championship.

"Winning the league is my target, and we are getting there,” he said.

“I am happy to score in this game but happier that we won the game because the three points is the most important thing for the team."

The Jos-born star scored against Krasnoder in the 17th minute to give the army team a 1-0 lead.

He has now scored 13 goals in the league and one in the cup.

By Olusola Alao

http://africanfootball.com/news/628415/Ahmed-Musa-scores-14th-goal-as-CSKA-close-in-on-title
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:35am On May 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Amutu, Manchester City loanee Nwakali rescue Euro clubs
[/size]

Amutu celebrates another goal

Nigeria stars Austin Amutu and Chidiebere Nwakali rescued their clubs Hapoel Ironi Khriyat Shmona and IK Start respectively to earn precious points on the road.

The former Warri Wolves striker Austin Amutu scored in the 17th minute to give his Israeli club Hapoel Ironi Khriyat Shmona a 1-0 lead in a game they drew 1-1 at Hapoel Ironi Akko.

Hapoel Ironi Khryat Shmona are fifth on the relegation playoff table with 36 points in 33 games.

The Jos-born star has now scored seven goals in the league this season.

Manchester City loanee Chidiebere Nwakali scored for Norwegian club IK Start on Monday in a 1-1 draw at Aalesund.

Nwakali scored in the 66th minute for a 1-0 lead.

IK Start are 16th on the league table with five points in 11 games.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628422/Amutu-Manchester-City-loanee-Nwakali-rescue-Euro-clubs
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 9:40am On May 17, 2016
[size=14pt]
Taye Taiwo double keeps Finnish club on top
[/size]

Taye Taiwo

Nigeria defender Taye Taiwo fired a brace for Finnish club HJK Helsinki to beat FC Inter 3-1 to remain top of the league with 20 points from nine games.

The 31-year-old left back scored in the 72nd minute to give his team a 2-1 lead.

He completed his brace eight minutes later to seal the victory.

Oduamadi also played full game for HJK Helsinki.

Taiwo has played for Lobi Stars, AC Milan, Bursaspor, Dynamo Kiev, QPR and Olympique Marseille.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628420/Taye-Taiwo-double-keeps-Finnish-club-on-top

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 9:51am On May 17, 2016
[size=14pt]
Anichebe quits West Bromwich Albion
[/size]

West Brom Striker Victor Anichebe

Victor Anichebe has announced he will quit English Premier League West Bromwich Albion when his contract ends next month.

“Thank you to all the @WBAFCofficial fans for the support during my time at the club! I wish you all the best for the future. God bless ,” Anichebe announced on Twitter today.

Anichebe, 28, has endured an injury-threatened career since he broke through to the Everton first team.

He joined West Brom in the 2013/14 season during which he scored three goals in 24 appearances.

Last season, he made a total of 21 appearances for ‘The Baggies’ scoring six goals.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628407/Anichebe-quits-West-Bromwich-Albion
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 9:52am On May 17, 2016
[size=14pt]
Ibrahim Shuaibu wins for Norwegian club
[/size]

Shuaibu celebrates a goal for Giwa last season

Former Giwa FC striker Ibrahim Shuaibu was the hero of his Norwegian club FK Haugesund as he was the match winner when they beat hosts Valerenga 1-0 in a league game.

Haugesund are fifth on the league table with 20 points from 11 games.

Shuaibu scored the only goal of the game in the 18th minute, his first in the league for the team after going six games without a goal.

The 19-year-old striker lasted 68 minutes before he gave way to Kwamd Karikari.

His compatriot Williams Troost-Ekong was in action for Haugesund for the entire duration of the game, while Anthony Izuchukwu was an unused substitute.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628417/Ibrahim-Shuaibu-wins-for-Norwegian-club
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 9:52am On May 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Zenke credits wife with 'special' goal that promoted Turkish club
[/size]

Zenke in action for Karabukspor

Former Nigeria youth international Simon Zenke has told AfricanFootball.com his goal which helped Karabukspor beat hosts Gotzepe 2-1 to secure promotion to the Turkish Super League is down to his wife.

Zenke, who described the goal as 'special', told AfricanFootball.com that his wife has been putting pressure on him to get back to goal-scoring for and so he was delighted it happened at such a crucial time of the season.

"What came to my mind immediately I scored was my wife because she has been on my neck for long to score goals,” he revealed.

He credited divine help for his club’s promotion.

"I can't really describe the feeling after achieving this feat. We have come a long way as there have had ups and downs throughout the season, but in the end we achieved our aim and all glory to God," Zenke further told AfricanFootball.com

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/628385/Zenke-credits-wife-with-special-goal-that-promoted-Turkish-club
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 9:54am On May 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Sani Kaita to revive career in Finland with Amokachi
[/size]

Sani Keita

AfricanFootball.com has specially gathered that former Nigeria World Cup star Sani Kaita plans to get his career back on track by reuniting with coach Daniel Amokachi at Finnish second division club JC Hercules.

Midfielder Kaita has not played since he sensationally quit Nigeria premier league side FC IfeanyiUbah last season after he claimed a breach of contract

A proposed return to hometown club Kano Pillars failed to see the light of day thereafter.

The former AS Monaco ace has played in the Netherlands, Russia, Ukraine and Moldova previously. He also posted a stint at Enyimba.

“Sani is working on joining Daniel Amokachi in Finland to see if he could resurrect his once-promising career,” a top source told AfricanFootball.com

Most Nigerian fans remember Kaita not for a good reason – when he was sent off in a 2010 World Cup group game against Greece lost and eventually failed to go past the group stage of the tournament.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628371/Sani-Kaita-to-revive-career-in-Finland-with-Amokachi
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 9:56am On May 17, 2016
[size=14pt]
Injured Fanendo Adi undergoes scan after goal No 8
[/size]

Fanen Adi

Nigerian striker Fenando Adi will undergo a MRI scan to know the extent of the injury he suffered while in action for Portland Timbers in a Major League Soccer (MLS) game on Sunday which they lost 2-1 to New York City FC.

Adi, who netted his eighth goal of the season in the 56th minute to equalise at 1-1, was replaced in the 58th minute on account of a hamstring injury.

The 25-year-old striker is the joint leading scorer in the MLS with eight goals, same as former Barcelona star David Villa.

Adi is on the shopping list of ambitious English Premier League side West Ham.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628333/Injured-Fanendo-Adi-undergoes-scan-after-goal-No-8
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:00am On May 17, 2016
Bloody hate this Kaita guy. That red card against Greece at the 2010 World Cup was a clear case of match fixing. The Greece footballer did not provoke Kaita. Kaita kicked the guy for no reason to get sent off.

A disgrace to all Nigerian footballers. Amokachi, Forget that guy.

justiz5:
[b][size=14pt]
Sani Kaita to revive career in Finland with Amokachi
[/size]

Sani Keita

AfricanFootball.com has specially gathered that former Nigeria World Cup star Sani Kaita plans to get his career back on track by reuniting with coach Daniel Amokachi at Finnish second division club JC Hercules.

Midfielder Kaita has not played since he sensationally quit Nigeria premier league side FC IfeanyiUbah last season after he claimed a breach of contract

A proposed return to hometown club Kano Pillars failed to see the light of day thereafter.

The former AS Monaco ace has played in the Netherlands, Russia, Ukraine and Moldova previously. He also posted a stint at Enyimba.

“Sani is working on joining Daniel Amokachi in Finland to see if he could resurrect his once-promising career,” a top source told AfricanFootball.com

Most Nigerian fans remember Kaita not for a good reason – when he was sent off in a 2010 World Cup group game against Greece lost and eventually failed to go past the group stage of the tournament.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628371/Sani-Kaita-to-revive-career-in-Finland-with-Amokachi
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 10:37am On May 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Leicester City, Tottenham Target Musa Set For Talks With CSKA Over His Future
[/size]

Nigeria national-teamer Ahmed Musa will sit down and talk about his future with CSKA Moscow at the end of this season, and remains focused on winning the Russian Premier League title with the capital team.

Speculations are rife at home and abroad that the pacy striker has more or less agreed terms with English Premier League champs Leicester City but the reports have been played down by a top source close to the player.

“It is not yet at that stage, there are a lot of rumours but Musa and CSKA are purely focused on winning the title and after that serious talks will begin with suitors ,” a source close to Musa told allnigeriasoccer.com.

Leicester City are reportedly frontrunners to sign the CSKA Moscow star this summer but face genuine competition from Tottenham Hotspur, who have an excellent relationship with his intermediary.

The 23-year-old netted his 18th goal of the season across all competitions on Monday against FK Krasnodar.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19066
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 10:38am On May 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerian Exports: Free Kick Expert Taiwo Bags Brace; Musa,Nwakali & Shuaibu Find The Net; Friday Fires Blanks; Ogude Returns
[/size]

Allnigeriasoccer.com reviews the performances of players of Nigerian descent in the European Leagues on Monday.

We start off in Holland. Former Belgium youth international Funso Ojo worked a ninety-minute shift as Willem II thrashed Almere City FC 5-2 in the Eredvisie playoffs second round, Game 2.

In the Norwegian Tippeligaen, Nigeria U20 international Chidiebere Nwakali clocked up ninety minutes in IK Start’s 1-1 draw with Aalesund at the Color Line Stadion. The midfielder struck in the 66th minute. Teammate Austin Ikenna was not involved.

Ohi Omoijuanfo was introduced in the 52nd minute of Stabaek’s 1-0 loss away to SK Brann. The former Norway youth international has made ten appearances this term, recording one goal.

Chuks Akabueze, otherwise known as Bentley, started for Odd Grenland against Molde and played 83 minutes as his club won 2-0 .

Fred Friday and Innocent Bonke featured for ninety minutes as Lillestrom lost 2-1 to Rosenborg. Friday, Norway’s top scorer, has not found the net in his last two games in the topflight.

Haugesund are now fifth in the standings after their 1-0 win at Vaalerenga . Ibrahim Shuaibu and William Trost-Ekong both started for FKH and the former netted the winner after 18 minutes.

While Shuaibu was withdrawn in the 67th minute, Anthony Izuchukwu remained on the bench.

Samuel Adegbenro and Suleiman Abdullahi were both named in the starting lineup as Viking were held to a goalless draw by Sogndal at the Viking Stadium. Adegbenro completed the match while Abdullahi was withdrawn in the 77th minute.

Usmani Sale played the last 19 minutes of the contest for Viking.

Onyekachi Ugwuadu did not make Sarpsborg 08’s 18-man squad for the trip to Stroemsgodset . The home team won 4-0.

A division lower, Kingsley Ndidi Olie was an unused substitute as Mjoendalen were humiliated 5-1 by Ull/Kisa .

Still in Scandinavia, Dickson Etuhu was not involved as AIK beat Djurgaarden 2-0 at the Friends Arena in the Swedish Allsvenskan.

In the Finnish top division, former Nigeria international Taye Taiwo was on target in the 72nd and 80th minute as HJK Helsinki recorded a 3-1 win over FC Inter Turku.

Taiwo, Nnamdi Oduamadi (both HJK), Kennedy Nwanganga and Faith Friday Obilor (both Inter Turku) played the full game. Vincent Onovo is still recovering from an injury and was not involved for HJK.

Switzerland U21 international Manuel Akanji did not feature for Basel in their 4-0 loss to Luzern in the Super League.

Ahmed Musa subbed out in the 90th minute in CSKA Moscow’s 2-0 win against FC Krasnodar in the Russian Premier League.

The assistant Super Eagles skipper registered his name on the score sheet in the 17th minute to take his tally in the league to 13 goals. Aaron Samuel was absent for the Muscovites as a result of injury.

Fegor Ogude and Brian Idowu both started for Amkar Perm in their 1-0 loss to Sylvester Igboun’s Ufa. The Nigeria internationals completed the game, with Ogude getting booked in the 78th minute.

Idowu was withdrawn in the 37th minute, Bright Dike and Chuma Anene remained on the bench.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19063
[/b]

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (16127) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: do4luv14(m), mkrest(m), lbrichman2 and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.