Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,866 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (469) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11723183 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (466) (467) (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) ... (16167) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:41am On Jan 19, 2017
safarigirl:
Is it that you guys are beefing Egypt on this thread or what? This one wey nobody wan even mention them, pesin go think say dem no dey tournament

Not everyone has access to a TV to watch these games, so if someone can be nice enough to ignore the fact that they eliminated us from the qualifiers and just tell what is going on with Egypt, I would greatly appreciate it.

This una beef no pure sha

Why this personal interest in Egypt? Or is 'HE' from Egypt?

Talk true..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:32am On Jan 19, 2017
terzurum5:
Whats up with this Afelokai guy of a Keeper, isn't he good for the Super Eagles?

Why has it become so difficult for us to get a quality home based goalkeeper?

CC: Icon4s, Joseph1013, Goldfish80, etc
Apart from Afelokai,we have few of them who are great,they just need a chance to show their class.It's left for Rohr to give them d chance coz i don't see any sense in inviting a goalkeeper from obscure league or third division league in Europe.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:40am On Jan 19, 2017
Icon4s:

Why this personal interest in Egypt? Or is 'HE' from Egypt?

Talk true..
there is no'HE' sef, if there was, I no for get una time for here grin

I just want them to justify all the effort they put into beating us to the qualification. Cuz e go pain me if we no go AFCON on top posers

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:46am On Jan 19, 2017
Icon4s:

Do you feel he is better than Daniel Akpeyi and Ikechukwu Ezenwa?
I remember watching this guy and i can say is talented and well composed,i w pick him ahead of Akpeyi and Ezenwa any day coz of his composure.

Honestly technically d guy is like Enyeama coz i remember it took Enyeama just 15 mins to impress Onigbinde and he was picked as a 2nd choice ahead of always shaken Ejide.A well composed keeper w be picked ahead of any talented keeper,pls watch Enyeama against England 2002 W/C.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:10am On Jan 19, 2017
safarigirl:
there is no'HE' sef, if there was, I no for get una time for here grin

I just want them to justify all the effort they put into beating us to the qualification. Cuz e go pain me if we no go AFCON on top posers

Meaning na the search for 'HE' dey carry you come here abi? tongue

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:15am On Jan 19, 2017
Kog45:
I remember watching this guy and i can say is talented and well composed,i w pick him ahead of Akpeyi and Ezenwa any day coz of his composure.

Honestly technically d guy is like Enyeama coz i remember it took Enyeama just 15 mins to impress Onigbinde and he was picked as a 2nd choice ahead of always shaken Ejide.A well composed keeper w be picked ahead of any talented keeper,pls watch Enyeama against England 2002 W/C.

I have watched Afelokai too. But I cannot tell u he is better than Ezenwa or Akpeyi. Did you see Ezenwa at the Spain invitational tourney a few months back? Plus Ezenwa is also a delight to watch in the NPFL. Talking about Afelokai's composure, if he was the one in goal against Algeria in Uyo we would really have assessed how composed he is.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:41am On Jan 19, 2017
Icon4s:

I have watched Afelokai too. But I cannot tell u he is better than Ezenwa or Akpeyi. Did you see Ezenwa at the Spain invitational tourney a few months back? Plus Ezenwa is also a delight to watch in the NPFL. Talking about Afelokai's composure, if he was the one in goal against Algeria in Uyo we would really have assessed how composed he is.

It's not necessary to be Algeria match or any top rated match,Enyeama pushed Ejide aside through mere friendly match against Nigeria club side whereas Ejide has been having a top class friendlies but always shaken.Did u know that d first top class match Enyeama had in d national team was against England at d W/C.

Tetzrum threw this up coz it seems we have only Ikeme for now and other keepers have not be able to live up to expectations and bringing keepers from obscure leagues or a third division is uncalled-for when we have keepers in Nigeria league performing every wk.

Rohr should put his search lights on Nigeria league may be he can see a good one who can cover up for Ikeme,it was obvious that w lack quality back up for Ikeme.Honestly am not insisting on Afelokai but i believe quality one can be discovered just like d way Enyeama was discovered.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:02pm On Jan 19, 2017
Kog45:
It's not necessary to be Algeria match or any top rated match,Enyeama pushed Ejide aside through mere friendly match against Nigeria club side whereas Ejide has been having a top class friendlies but always shaken.Did u know that d first top class match Enyeama had in d national team was against England at d W/C.

Tetzrum threw this up coz it seems we have only Ikeme for now and other keepers have not be able to live up to expectations and bringing keepers from obscure leagues or a third division is uncalled-for when we have keepers in Nigeria league performing every wk.

Rohr should put his search lights on Nigeria league may be he can see a good one who can cover up for Ikeme,it was obvious that w lack quality back up for Ikeme.Honestly am not insisting on Afelokai but i believe quality one can be discovered just like d way Enyeama was discovered.

My brother, I understand ur view on this issue. We thank God that we have some1 like Ikeme who quickly filled the gap Enyeama created.
I don't doubt whether Afelokai might be better than Ezenwa and Akpeyi. But, also I dnt think Akpeyi and Ezenwa are not that bad backs-ups for Ikeme.
I am sure our goal keeper trainers know Afelokai very well and if they deem it fit to invite him they should go ahead.

But has it come to ur notice that African countries are curently generally lacking in the goal keeping department.I remember the days when Cameroun would boast of Antwan Bell and Thomas Nkono, Nigeria was boasting of Peter Rufai, Ghana was boasting of Edward Ansah, Zambia had Edward David Chabala. Ivory Coast had Allain Gouamene, Egypt had one fine goalie back then...Mohammed something, (The one that baosted to Yekini that he would not score against him at Tunia '94), forgotten his name. Well, gone are the days. undecided

Rufai, during his era was Nigeria's best goalie ever but was not adjudged Africa's best but Enyeama during his era was by far Africa's best goalie. That tells the story.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:20pm On Jan 19, 2017
Icon4s:

My brother, I understand ur view on this issue. We thank God that we have some1 like Ikeme who quickly filled the gap Enyeama created.
I don't doubt whether Afelokai might be better than Ezenwa and Akpeyi. But, also I dnt think Akpeyi and Ezenwa are not that bad backs-ups for Ikeme.
I am sure our goal keeper trainers know Afelokai very well and if they deem it fit to invite him they should go ahead.

But has it come to ur notice that African countries are curently generally lacking in the goal keeping department.I remember the days when Cameroun would boast of Antwan Bell and Thomas Nkono, Nigeria was boasting of Peter Rufai, Ghana was boasting of Edward Ansah, Zambia had Edward David Chabala. Ivory Coast had Allain Gouamene, Egypt had one fine goalie back then...Mohammed something, (The one that baosted to Yekini that he would not score against him at Tunia '94), forgotten his name. Well, gone are the days. undecided

Rufai, during his era was Nigeria's best goalie ever but was not adjudged Africa's best but Enyeama during his era was by far Africa's best goalie. That tells the story.
Agreed but a better cover up than Akpeyi,Ezenwa is needed for Ikeme coz d gap just too wide,how i wish Enyeama is still available for selection,as u said Africa are in dearth of goalkeepers now but i believe we can still get a good one especially in Nigeria league for Eagles.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 12:35pm On Jan 19, 2017
Icon4s:

Problem is that when Enyeama was reigning we had no back up, and I am happy someone has enlightened this topic, hope we can get young keepers who can be ikeme's understudy so we can keep recycling good keepers

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:48pm On Jan 19, 2017
Lazyerudite:

Problem is that when Enyeama was reigning we had no back up, and I am happy someone has enlightened this topic, hope we can get young keepers who can be ikeme's understudy so we can keep recycling good keepers

Not true. We had very credible back-ups for Enyeama: Austine Ejide and Dele Ayenugba. The only problem was that all three were of almost of same age. So they aged away from the national team almost together.

Forget about Enyeama. He is gone for good. Rohr in addition to raising a back-up for Ikeme is also developing young goal keepers. At least he has invited Emmanuel Daniel and Dele Alampasu. He also has his eyes on Nwokolo. This is ok by me.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:57pm On Jan 19, 2017
Kog45:
Agreed but a better cover up than Akpeyi,Ezenwa is needed for Ikeme coz d gap just too wide,how i wish Enyeama is still available for selection,as u said Africa are in dearth of goalkeepers now but i believe we can still get a good one especially in Nigeria league for Eagles.

If you recommend Afelokai no problem but me I have not seen any remarkable difference between him and Akpeyi and Ezenwa.

We dnt have fantastic goalies in our NPFL presently. The era of Enyeama-Ejide-Ayenugba-Okoye was the last time I personally appreciated the presence of quality goalies in the NPFL.

Remember the 2005 CAF Champions final between Enyimba and Etoile Du Sahel of Tunisia. Enyeama and Ayenugba were in goal for Enyimba. Ayenugba came in specially to stop penalties. Austine Ejide was in goal for Etoile Du Sahel of Tunisia. Nigeria's 3 best goalies were in goal that night. That was the peak of it all. A game I will never ever forget. cool

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:00pm On Jan 19, 2017
Icon4s:

Meaning na the search for 'HE' dey carry you come here abi? tongue
for where? This place wey senior boys full?

Who I wan follow here? Na search for information de

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:01pm On Jan 19, 2017
forgiveness:

When we told the Oga at the under 20 about this lad, he was busy looking for what will grease his palms and some never gave him a chance.

Nevertheless, he did not say he is not playing for Nigeria.

Grease his palms how. We had not qualified for the Championship. The only way was after the qualifiers. If we qualified, we can talk of greasing hands.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 1:01pm On Jan 19, 2017
Icon4s:

Not true. We had very credible back-ups for Enyeama: Austine Ejide and Dele Ayenugba. The only problem was that all three were of almost of same age. So they aged away from the national team almost together.

Forget about Enyeama. He is gone for good. Rohr in addition to raising a back-up for Ikeme is also developing young goal keepers. At least he has invited Emmanuel Daniel and Dele Alampasu. He also has his eyes on Nwokolo. This is ok by me.
Ejide and Dele were no where near Enyeama's level and still alampasu and co have not been up to par. My fear is that there seem to be no one addressing the issue

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:04pm On Jan 19, 2017
safarigirl:
for where? This place wey senior boys full?

Who I wan follow here? Na search for information de

grin

No na. But I know some senior bachelors among us here too o.

Na ideal couple that one go be. No be the one way husband go wan watch Cameroun vs Guinea-Bissau and wife go wan watch 'Zee world'. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:09pm On Jan 19, 2017
Lazyerudite:

Ejide and Dele were no where near Enyeama's level and still alampasu and co have not been up to par. My fear is that there seem to be no one addressing the issue

I beg to disagree. Do you recall Ejide kept Enyeama on the bench at the 2008 AFCON?

Ayenugba too was not so far of.

The difference between the 3 is Enyeama improved more in his later years while Ejide and Ayenugba regressed. At the peak of we having the 3 three of them Enyeama was just slightly better.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:28pm On Jan 19, 2017
Icon4s:

I watched Ezenwa in the spanish invitational and he was a disaster. Good reflexes but poor keeping fundamentals. That is the story of many African keepers. They are good with shot stopping but lack positioning, can't deal with crosses etc. So they might impress you with a save but look closely.

Watch the highlights of the Spanish invitational, you will see that Ezenwa was at fault for many goals conceded.

I rate Afelokai above Ezenwa/Akpeyi but i do not know of his current form. He seems to be more balanced than the others.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:30pm On Jan 19, 2017
Lazyerudite:

At some point, Aiynuba, Ejide and Enyeama were at the same level but Enyeama kept improving. I agree with Icon4s.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:36pm On Jan 19, 2017
tbaba1234:

I watched Ezenwa in the spanish invitational and he was a disaster. Good reflexes but poor keeping fundamentals. That is the story of many African keepers. They are good with shot stopping but lack positioning, can't deal with crosses etc. So they might impress you with a save but look closely.

Watch the highlights of the Spanish invitational, you will see that Ezenwa was at fault for many goals conceded.

I rate Afelokai above Ezenwa/Akpeyi but i do not know of his current form. He seems to be more balanced than the others.

So why do u think Ezenwa was chosen ahead of Afelokai for that Spainish tourney?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:40pm On Jan 19, 2017
He Misplaced Three Passes Out Of 91 – Ejaria Rated Best Player In Liverpool Win Over Plymouth

Liverpool teen star Ovie Ejaria has been rated the best player for Liverpool in their 1-0 win over Plymouth in the FA Cup replay.

Ejaria was on for the entire duration of the game, and showed his near perfect passing abilities by completing all of the 44 passes he attempted in the first half.

Overall, he misplaced just three passes out of 91 attempt and won praises from followers of the team mostly on social media.

This is anfield.com gave the Anglo Nigerian and fellow youngster Trent Alexander-Arnorld a rating of 7.5, the highest rating of all players on the pitch as Liverpool secure progress to the next round of the FA Cup courtesy of a Lucas Leivia strike.

Ovie Ejaria – 7.5
Looked more comfortable in the centre of the park than Stewart, and kept things ticking over when the side were in possession.

Showed good control and played some neat passes in midfield, coming out of the game with a passing accuracy of 97%.

owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/19/he-misplaced-three-passes-out-of-91-ejaria-rated-best-player-in-liverpool-win-over-plymouth/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:42pm On Jan 19, 2017
Icon4s:

I beg to disagree. Do you recall Ejide kept Enyeama on the bench at the 2008 AFCON?

Ayenugba too was not so far of.

The difference between the 3 is Enyeama improved more in his later years while Ejide and Ayenugba regressed. At the peak of we having the 3 three of them Enyeama was just slightly better.

Yes Enyeama improved greatly than d duo.I remember Enyeama was d 2nd choice to Dele Aiyenugba in his first season at Enyimba before he displaced Dele d following season till he left Enyimba,also displaced Ejide at d national team,though Ejide came back strongly during Vogts time coz Vogts believed in Ejide's height but it was glaring that Enyeama was a better keeper.

The trio started with no much difference but as u said Enyeama improved tremendously while Ejide and Dele couldn't keep d tempo.At d later stage d gap was just too wide and it was obvious they cannot match Enyeama.

On Ikeme back up,well u said no much difference between Afelokai,Akpeyi,Ezenwa but i believe with more searching a good goalkeeper can be discovered in our league.Enyeama wasn't prominent in our league when he was discovered by coach Fanny Amu.

On Alampasu,Daniel Emmanuel good for them to understudy Ikeme but w they be ready before W/C?As i said urgent attention is needed coz what w passed through before Algeria match due to Ikeme injury was nauseating.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:44pm On Jan 19, 2017
Icon4s:
So why do u think Ezenwa was chosen ahead of Afelokai for that Spainish tourney?

The coaches felt Ezenwa was better. If Ezenwa is the best, the local league can offer then we are better looking for European based keepers because he is not yet national team quality. He has the skills but he needs to refine the other areas.

I can't speak of Afelokai's recent form so they might be correct in rating Ezenwa higher.

What about Femi Thomas?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:44pm On Jan 19, 2017
Vitoria Setubal Man Of The Moment Mikel Agu Eyes Super Eagles Call-Up Against Senegal

Vitoria Setubal Nigerian midfielder Mikel Agu has banished the injury demons that have slowed down his career in the past by staying fit for his current employers.

The FC Porto loanee has been ever present for Vitoria Setubal this season, posting man of the match performances in most of the games they have played so far.

” Am getting back to my best after the serious injury I had in 201, and my time in Belgium with Club Brugge didn’t go as planned. I’m happy in Vitoria, I want to continue playing at my best to help the club to a new level”, Agu told Record.

The 23 year old who has been on the fringes of the Nigeria U20 and 23 teams in the past, is also hoping to catch the attention of Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr ahead of the friendly game against Senegal in March.

” Have always maintain that it’s my dream to play for Nigeria. I believe the opportunity may arise now due to my club form. Am hopeful more than ever”.

owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/19/vitoria-setubal-man-of-the-moment-mikel-agu-eyes-super-eagles-call-up-against-senegal/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:45pm On Jan 19, 2017
tbaba1234:

The coaches felt Ezenwa was better. If Ezenwa is the best, the local league can offer then we are better looking for European based keepers because he is not yet national team quality. He has the skills but he needs to refine the other areas.

I can't speak of Afelokai's recent form so they might be correct in rating Ezenwa higher.

What about Femi Thomas?

That is it.

As for Femi Thomas. Good but not good enough for the Super Eagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:46pm On Jan 19, 2017
Red Hot Onyekuru Arsenal Hopes Gets Backing – He Is So Fast, He Just Pushes The Ball And Run Behind

The dream of young Nigerian forward Henry Onyekuru to play for English Premier League side Arsenal has received strong backing from his teammate.

Siebe Blondelle who plays in same team as the Nigerian at Belgian side KAS Eupen believes the 19 year old has what it takes to play for a team like Arsenal, the team he has said he wants to play for.

The Aspire Academy who says Arsenal legend Thierry Henry is his idol, has similar qualities to the French star according to Blondelle.

Onyekuru reportedly turned down offers from top teams in Europe in order to pursue his dream of playing for Arsenal, which he hope to achieve by increasing his present goal tally of 10 league goal in the first half of the season.

” He has the qualities to play for Arsenal, aside from the Henry on the back of his shirt, they have at least another thing in common which is speed. I cannot keep up with him in training.

“Henry is so fast that he does not need to dribble, he just pushes the ball and runs behind”, Blondelle told Het Laatste Nieuws.

owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/19/red-hot-onyekuru-arsenal-hopes-gets-backing-he-is-so-fast-he-just-pushes-the-ball-and-run-behind/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:47pm On Jan 19, 2017
Breaking: West Brom Agrees £17m Fee With Watford For Ighalo

West Bromwich Albion are reportedly in talks with Watford to sign striker Odion Ighalo.

The striker has been heavily linked with a move to China already this transfer window, with similar speculation surrounding him last summer.

A move to the Black Country would be much closer to home and Sky Sports are reporting the deal could be worth as much as £17m.

Ighalo has been at Vicarage Road for two and a half years since joining from Udinese, scoring 33 times in 91 appearances.

His move will reportedly give West Brom the permission to allow Saido Berahino leave the club with Stoke City reportedly keen on the English lad.

owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/19/breaking-west-brom-agrees-17m-fee-with-watford-for-ighalo/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:47pm On Jan 19, 2017
Kog45:
Yes Enyeama improved greatly than d duo.I remember Enyeama was d 2nd choice to Dele Aiyenugba in his first season at Enyimba before he displaced Dele d following season till he left Enyimba,also displaced Ejide at d national team,though Ejide came back strongly during Vogts time coz Vogts believed in Ejide's height but it was glaring that Enyeama was a better keeper.

The trio started with no much difference but as u said Enyeama improved tremendously while Ejide and Dele couldn't keep d tempo.At d later stage d gap was just too wide and it was obvious they cannot match Enyeama.

On Ikeme back up,well u said no much difference between Afelokai,Akpeyi,Ezenwa but i believe with more searching a good goalkeeper can be discovered in our league.Enyeama wasn't prominent in our league when he was discovered by coach Fanny Amu.

On Alampasu,Daniel Emmanuel good for them to understudy Ikeme but w they be ready before W/C ?As i said urgent attention is needed coz what w passed through before Algeria match due to Ikeme injury was nauseating.

TheGoodJoe, what do u think about the highlighted?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:49pm On Jan 19, 2017
terzurum5:
Breaking: West Brom Agrees £17m Fee With Watford For Ighalo

West Bromwich Albion are reportedly in talks with Watford to sign striker Odion Ighalo.

The striker has been heavily linked with a move to China already this transfer window, with similar speculation surrounding him last summer.

A move to the Black Country would be much closer to home and Sky Sports are reporting the deal could be worth as much as £17m.

Ighalo has been at Vicarage Road for two and a half years since joining from Udinese, scoring 33 times in 91 appearances.

His move will reportedly give West Brom the permission to allow Saido Berahino leave the club with Stoke City reportedly keen on the English lad.

owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/19/breaking-west-brom-agrees-17m-fee-with-watford-for-ighalo/

Mtchew. undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:20pm On Jan 19, 2017
tbaba1234:

I love your highlights on African goalkeepers,they are talented but lack d basic things about goalkeeping.

This remind me of how Enyeama came into national team and displaced Ejide through a friendly match against club side and nailed it with his performance against Kenya in a friendly.He was rated ahead of Ejide just coz of his positioning and composure at d goalposts.

I had d opportunity of asking d super eagle goalkeeper trainer to 2002 W/C who happened to be my university coach,why Enyeama over Ejide,he said he took him just 15 mins to tell Coach Onigbinde that this is d guy(Enyeama)to deputise for Shorunmu.

I asked 15 mins for u to decide,he said a good goalkeeper is easy to identify irrespective of d opposition,though Ejide had top rated friendly matches while Enyeama had just a Kenya match.He said if not for experience,Enyeama should have be d No 1 keeper at d world cup at d expense of Shorunmu.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:51pm On Jan 19, 2017
11 English Eagles! Top Nigerian Born Youngsters Super Eagles Coach Shouldn’t Miss

Completesportsnigeria.com's JAMES AGBEREBI takes a look at 11 young players of Nigerian decent dazzling for different clubs in England and who are still eligible to don the green and white colours of the West African nation

1. ADEMOLA LOOKMAN (19 years, Forward, Everton.

On Sunday, January 15 2017, young Nigerian born forward, Ademola Lookman, made his debut for Everton and marked it by scoring in a 4-0 home win against Manchester City.

Lookman, 19, was signed by Everton for £10m in the January transfer window after impressing for Charlton Athletic who are now in League One.

Presently playing for England's U-20 team, Lookman can still turn out for Nigeria.

2. CHUBA AKPOM (21 years, Forward, Arsenal)Born in Canning Town, England, Akpom joined Arsenal at the age of six. He made his debut for the Arsenal U-18 side at the age of 15, and signed his first professional contract with Arsenal on 10 October 2012, a day after turning 17.

In December 2012 Akpom received his first call into the Arsenal senior squad, when he was an unused substitute in a 2–1 Champions League defeat to Olympiakos.

He made his competitive debut in a 3–1 Premier League win over Sunderland on 14 September 2013. He came on in the third minute of injury time as a substitute for the injured Olivier Giroud.

Despite appearing for England's U-16, U-17, U-19, U-20 and U-21, Akpom is still eligible to play for Nigeria. In May 2016, it was reported that he was one of the three players formally approached by the Nigeria Football Federation.

3. SEYI OJO (19 years, Winger, Liverpool) Seyi Ojo joined Liverpool as a 14-year-old and came through their academy. He spent time on loan with Championship clubs; Wigan Athletic and Wolverhampton Wanderers before making his competitive debut for Liverpool in January 2016 in the FA Cup Third Round tie against Exeter city that ended in a 2–2 draw.

Ojo who has eight senior appearances for Liverpool, made his Premier League debut for The Reds on 20 March 2016, replacing Joe Allen in the 87th minute in a 3–2 loss away to Southampton.

Born in Hemel Hempstead, England, Ojo has represented England at under-16, under-17, under-18 and under-19 levels, but is eligible to play for Nigeria since he has never played for England's senior national team in any competitive game.

Ahead of the 2016–17 season, Ojo sustained a fracture in his back and did not return to first team training until mid-November.

4. OVIE EJARIA (19 years, Midfielder, Liverpool)Initially an Arsenal player after signing for the London club in 2005, Southwark-born Ovie Ejaria left to join Liverpool in 2016. On 25 October, Ejaria made his full debut in the Fourth Round of the EFL Cup in a 2–1 win over Tottenham at Anfield.

Ejaria debuted in the Premier League on 6 November 2016, coming on as a substitute in Liverpool's 6–1 home win over Watford.

In 2013 Ejaria trained with the Golden Eaglets and stated that his international allegiance was with the country in 2014. But in 2016, Ejaria made his debut for England's U-20 in a 3–1 win against Germany.

5. TOSIN ADARABIOYO (19 years, Defender, Manchester City)Born in Manchester, Tosin Adarabioyo joined Manchester City youth system as a five year old.

Yet to play in the Premier League for Manchester City, Adarabioyo made his first-team debut in an FA Cup match against Chelsea in February 2016.

Adarabioyo went on to make his Champions League debut in August 2016, as a substitute in a1–0 win over Steaua Bucuresti, in a Champions League play-off round match. He has represented England at U-16, U-17, U-18 and U-19 levels but still qualifies to play for Nigeria.

6. TOSIN KEHINDE (18 years, Midfielder, Manchester United)Talented Tosin Kehinde was born in Lagos and joined Manchester United in 2014.Kehinde has Premier Cup experience after rising through the ranks at the club and made four starts and a substitute appearance for the Academy team as a schoolboy.

Known for his passing skills and also with plenty of positional sense, Kehinde amassed 27 games for the Under-18s last season, scoring three times. He also scored in the UEFA Youth League, during a win at Wolfsburg. Kehinde has never featured for any English junior national teams.

7. LAYTON NDUKWU (18 years, Forward, Leicester City)Known for his pace and tricks, Layton Ndukwu is one of the stars of the youth team at Leicester and a player the club have high hopes for going forward.

An England under-17 international, he has scored six goals in 17 appearances at that level in his career so far – including a hat-trick against Cyprus in October 2014.

Ndukwu whose contract at the King Power is due to expire in the summer is eligible to play for Nigeria.

8. TAMMY ABRAHAM (19 years, Forward, Chelsea)Currently on loan to Bristol City in the Championship from Chelsea, Tammy Abraham joined Chelsea at U-8 level and progressed through the clubs academy system.

Abraham was part of the Chelsea youth side which recorded back to back triumphs in both the UEFA Youth League and the FA Youth Cup in 2015 and 2016.

Former Chelsea boss Hiddink handed Abraham his Chelsea debut on May 2016,in a 1–1 Premier League draw with Liverpool. Abraham then made his home debut at Stamford Bridge the following week in a 1–1 draw with Premier League Champions Leicester.

Abraham is presently second in the Championship top scorers chart with 15 goals, five short of Newcastle's Dwight Gayle who has 20 goals.

At international level, Abraham plays for England's U-21 but can still represent Nigeria at senior level since he has not played for England's senior national team in a competitive game.

9. DOMINIC IORFA JNR (21 years, Defender, Wolverhampton Wanderers) Son of former Nigeria international, Dominic Iorfa, Iorfa junior is a teammate of Super Eagles goalkeeper Carl Ikeme at Championship side Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Iorfa joined Wolves in 2013 at the age of 15, and made his first appearance for the club as a surprise starter in a 2-1 loss to Bournemouth in December 2014. In January 2015, Iorfa won the football league's Young Player Of The Month award.

Iorfa has been capped by England at under-18 and under-20 levels but according to his father, Iorfa will consider playing for Nigeria only after his 23rd birthday.

10. JONATHAN AFOLABI (17 years, Striker, Southampton)Born in Tallaght, Ireland, Jonathan Afolabi joined Southampton in July 2016 on a scholarship.

Afolabi whose sporting hero is former Cote d'Ivoire and Chelsea striker Didier Drogab is a strong and fast player who doesn’t give defenders a moment’s peace. He currently turns out for Southampton's U-18 and was on target for the club's U-23 side who lost 3-1 to Arsenal's U-23 side on Tuesday.

Although there are no records of Afolabi ever featuring for Ireland or England, he can still play for Nigeria at international level.

11. MICHAEL OBAFEMI (16 Years, Striker, Southampton) Just like Jonathan Afolabi, Michael Obafemi was born in Ireland and joined the Saints Academy from Leyton Orient.

Popularly called ‘Oba’ Obafemi who boasts pace and agility is a traditional number nine who bases his game on former Brazilian striker Ronaldo.

He was scouted by Saints while he was playing for Orient in April 2016 and plays for their U-18 team.
He also qualifies to play for Nigeria at international level.

http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/11-english-eagles-top-nigerian-born-youngsters-super-eagles-coach-shouldnt-miss/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:08pm On Jan 19, 2017
Icon4s:

TheGoodJoe, what do u think about the highlighted?

I do not know about Emma. However, as for Alampasu, I have no doubt he is ready. All he needs is the chance.

If Courtois and De Gea were ready by the time they were 18, why not Alampasu.

It is up to Alloy Agu to show faith in the young man.

(1) (2) (3) ... (466) (467) (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) ... (16167) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.