Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,089 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (471) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11731600 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) ... (16172) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:22am On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

Kog45, FYI.

LOLS. It seems you want to see two fighters.
grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:32am On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

grin

grin

Kog45 was the one that asked the question and I felt u are in a better position than I am to give the answer.

But why do you see Dele Alampasu as a better prospect than Emmanuel Daniel?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:38am On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

Kog45, FYI.
I don't want thegoodjoe karate but Alampasu is not ready and when he is ready nobody w tell us.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:40am On Jan 20, 2017
Kog45:
I don't want thegoodjoe karate but Alampasu is not ready and when he is ready nobody w tell us.

cc: TheGoodJoe tongue
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:41am On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

grin
I no fit fight o

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:48am On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

grin

Kog45 was the one that asked the question and I felt u are in a better position than I am to give the answer.

Both are young and very talented but for now i w pick Alampasu coz is exposed to better training facilities and it w always count when it comes to goalkeeping.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:49am On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

grin

I tilted to the nod of Rohr. He watched Emma at the Olympics but chose, I think Ezenwa to camp. Remember, Rohr watched the NPFL stars Spanish tour. If Alampasu outclassed Ezenwa in camp, then I feel Alampasu is the better option.

I still believe in camping and if Emma can do better than Alampasu in camp, then he will get my nod. I do not think so and my heart lies with Alampasu.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:55am On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I tilted to the nod of Rohr. He watched Emma at the Olympics but chose, I think Ezenwa to camp . Remember, Rohr watched the NPFL stars Spanish tour. If Alampasu outclassed Ezenwa in camp, then I feel Alampasu is the better option.

I still believe in camping and if Emma can do better than Alampasu in camp, then he will get my nod. I do not think so and my heart lies with Alampasu.

Emmanuel Daniel was invited to camp against Tanzania and against Zambia. Rohr needed to see another youngster so he replaced Daniel with Alampasu. Ezenwa had always been in the squad both against Tanzania, Zambia and Algeria. So he was not like a replacement for Daniel. Akpeyi came to replace Ikeme.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:58am On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I tilted to the nod of Rohr. He watched Emma at the Olympics but chose, I think Ezenwa to camp. Remember, Rohr watched the NPFL stars Spanish tour. If Alampasu outclassed Ezenwa in camp, then I feel Alampasu is the better option .

Goal keeper selection is not like that o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:59am On Jan 20, 2017
Kog45:

Nobody will tell us after we see Alampasu given a chance. That is what I am asking for. I believe the young man is ready. I hope he gets the chance to show it.

To kick you is hungrying me but I am controlling myself.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:01am On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

Goal keeper selection is not like that o.

Mancini did not spend time selecting the best keeper for City. Camping and few preseason games was enough to make Joe Hart our number one over Shay Given who was an EPL great.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:04am On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

Emmanuel Daniel was invited to camp against Tanzania and against Zambia. Rohr needed to see another youngster so he replaced Daniel with Alampasu. Ezenwa had always been in the squad both against Tanzania, Zambia and Algeria. So he was not like a replacement for Daniel. Akpeyi came to replace Ikeme.

If Emma convinced Rohr in camp, I doubt he would still need to look at others. He is still searching. So far, the best camping reviews we got went to Alampasu. Unless another attracts such impressive response from pundits and Journalists, my pick goes to Alampasu after Ikeme.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:05am On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Rohr should consider and look into those who genuinely want to represent us.

When I wrote consider and look into, I did not mean call-up. I meant check if there is promise. For instance studying the players tapes, watching matches the player is playing and if possible during foreign trips, watch the player live.

If Rohr feels the player can make the Super Eagles stronger, he can invite the player. I am always in support of the search for better players. However, the players considered must be those who genuinely want to represent us.

There is a problem with our approach to Nigerian origin football players. We are not engaging them early enough we need to start from the age of at least 10 maybe younger.

My suggestion is creating an engagement framework where we monitor progress and even invite them for age group tournaments and events in England but organised by the NFF. Then later on in Nigeria you will have to invite at least one parent to come along.

At this stage you are creating identity and cultural affinity and recognition. It's making the Nigerian presence felt, seen and recognised. Basically being proud to be Nigerian.

There are parents in England who in thier desire to have houses in Banana Island and or to meet the multiple demands of relatives, literally work 24hrs a day. This means the children are left more or less to thier own devices and thier concept of Nigeria is not positive. Essentially the nonsensical propositions put forward on main stream television where they spend most of thier time.

However, there are parents who have taught thier children all things good about Nigeria and they even speak Ibo and Yoruba but have never been to Nigeria. Which is exemplary as we now have Nigerian born children who cannot speak a single Nigerian language.

You have to understand that the English FA is already looking and engaging clubs about boys from the age of 10 even below. We should know about our boys well before England does.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:11am On Jan 20, 2017
komekn:

There is a problem with our approach to Nigerian origin football players. We are not engaging them early enough we need to start from the age of at least 10 maybe younger.

My suggestion is creating an engagement framework where we monitor progress and even invite them for age group tournaments and events in England but organised by the NFF. Then later on in Nigeria you will have to invite at least one parent to come along.

At this stage you are creating identity and cultural affinity and recognition. It's making the Nigerian presence felt, seen and recognised. Basically being proud to be Nigerian.

There are parents in England who in thier desire to have houses in Banana Island and or to meet the multiple demands of relatives, literally work 24hrs a day. This means the children are left more or less to thier own devices and thier concept of Nigeria is not positive. Essentially the nonsensical propositions put forward on main stream television where they spend most of thier time.

However, there are parents who have taught thier children all things good about Nigeria and they even speak Ibo and Yoruba but have never been to Nigeria. Which is exemplary as we now have Nigerian born children who cannot speak a single Nigerian language.

Nice innovative suggestion. I hope as our football grows, we assimilate progressive measures to link our foreign born players at an earlier stage.

This will only make us stronger in the future. We also need more grassroots tournament to discover our special local players early and give them exposure in foreign summer competitions.

This will take place if our NFF become prudent with funds for development. It will in a long run help launder the image of the members of the glass house.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:15am On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I tilted to the nod of Rohr. He watched Emma at the Olympics but chose, I think Ezenwa to camp. Remember, Rohr watched the NPFL stars Spanish tour. If Alampasu outclassed Ezenwa in camp, then I feel Alampasu is the better option.

I know u w not want to hear this(experience)Ezenwa got d nod over Emma due to this and Alampasu got d invitation nod over Emma coz NPFL was on break

Rohr considered five good keepers namely Ikeme,Akpeyi,Ezenwa,Alampasu and Emma for Algeria match before he picked d trio of Ikeme,Ezenwa,Alampasu.

Ikeme naturally is d No 1 and Ezenwa was d best at home front,this gave d duo advantage and Rohr needed a young keeper that w under study Ikeme which gave Alampasu and Emma a chance but at d last minute he opted for Alampasu coz he can't have two home based keeper who are on break in a team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:34am On Jan 20, 2017
Kog45:
I know u w not want to hear this(experience)Ezenwa got d nod over Emma due to this and Alampasu got d invitation nod over Emma coz NPFL was on break

Rohr considered five good keepers namely Ikeme,Akpeyi,Ezenwa,Alampasu and Emma for Algeria match before he picked d trio of Ikeme,Ezenwa,Alampasu.

Ikeme naturally is d No 1 and Ezenwa was d best at home front,this gave d duo advantage and Rohr needed a young keeper that w under study Ikeme which gave Alampasu and Emma a chance but at d last minute he opted for Alampasu coz he can't have two home based keeper who are on break in a team.

Nice break down and on point. However, after Alampasu's reviews, I hope he gets his chance soon.

I hope we continue our winning streak in the qualifiers, so we can qualify early and give the young promising players chances to prove themselves.

Drops leg and removes Kung-fu shoes.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:35am On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

If Emma convinced Rohr in camp, I doubt he would still need to look at others. He is still searching . So far, the best camping reviews we got went to Alampasu. Unless another attracts such impressive response from pundits and Journalists, my pick goes to Alampasu after Ikeme.

Who told you Emma did not convince Rohr in Camp?
He is still searching you said. Have you heard he also has his eyes on another young goalie by name Nwokolo?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:46am On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

He is still searching you said. Have you heard he also has his eyes on another young goalie by name Nwokolo?

Until Nwokolo is invited to camp, I will not count him as a contender.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:55am On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Until Nwokolo is invited to camp, I will not count him as a contender.
grin Hope you know the history between Alampasu and Nwokolo?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:09am On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Honestly your philosophy on camping is over exaggerated,d efficiency of camping is always for academy or under age like U 17 or U 20 but senior team,camping is just to fix grey areas,for instance Eagles Right full back position or DM where w now have Ndidi and Onazi competing coz it w hard for Rohr to decide on whom to pick.

The senior team like national team is not a place where u throw everything open for grab,a good coach must have his first eleven to his chest,though one or two player might pull surprise by breaking into d team e.g.Etebo against Algeria.

No matter what happened before Cameroon match,i can tell u that 90% of those who prosecuted Algeria match w make d team.So camping sometimes in d senior team doesn't give rooms like under age camping where u are looking for d best.

On goalkeeping aspect,if i may ask u do u think Ikeme convinced Olishe during camping?NO.Olishe already see Ikeme as his No 1 choice irrespective of Enyeama performance in camp.Guardiola came in and said Bravo is d No1 over Hart,Mourinho rate Coutious over Chec,this decision is personal not camp decision.

It was on this thread i said it took Super Eagles goalkeeper trainer to 2002 W/C who was my university coach just 15 mins to rate Enyeama than Ejide,so sometimes camping does it in d senior team when u are having issues.

Alampasu is a young talented keeper coming up with a great prospect and wit time he w reach their but for now Super Eagles number 1 is not for a keeper keeping in Portuguese div 3,is an insult to our national team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:20am On Jan 20, 2017
Kog45:
Honestly your philosophy on camping is over exaggerated ,d efficiency of camping is always for academy or under age like U 17 or U 20 but senior team,camping is just to fix grey areas,for instance Eagles Right full back position or DM where w now have Ndidi and Onazi competing coz it w hard for Rohr to decide on whom to pick.

The senior team like national team is not a place where u throw everything open for grab,a good coach must have his first eleven to his chest,though one or two player might pull surprise by breaking into d team e.g.Etebo against Algeria.

No matter what happened before Cameroon match,i can tell u that 90% of those who prosecuted Algeria match w make d team. So camping sometimes in d senior team doesn't give rooms like under age camping where u are looking for d best.

On goalkeeping aspect,if i may ask u do u think Ikeme convinced Olishe during camping?NO.Olishe already see Ikeme as his No 1 choice irrespective of Enyeama performance in camp.Guardiola came in and said Bravo is d No1 over Hart,Mourinho rate Coutious over Chec,this decision is personal not camp decision.

It was on this thread i said it took Super Eagles goalkeeper trainer to 2002 W/C who was my university coach just 15 mins to rate Enyeama than Ejide,so sometimes camping does it in d senior team when u are having issues.

Alampasu is a young talented keeper coming up with a great prospect and wit time he w reach their but for now Super Eagles number 1 is not for a keeper keeping in Portuguese div 3,is an insult to our national team.

I don tell TheGoodJoe all these things I don tire.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:20am On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

Alampasu got d nod at d last minute over Emma for Algeria match coz NPFL was on break.Rohr can't imagine having two keepers who are on break in his team.Rohr even said it before rolling out invitations for Algeria that no room for home based coz they are on break,he only considered Ezenwa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:25am On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

I don tell TheGoodJoe all these things I don tire.

TheGoodJoe no easy now,so don't be tired.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:26am On Jan 20, 2017
Kog45:
Honestly your philosophy on camping is over exaggerated,d efficiency of camping is always for academy or under age like U 17 or U 20 but senior team,camping is just to fix grey areas,for instance Eagles Right full back position or DM where w now have Ndidi and Onazi competing coz it w hard for Rohr to decide on whom to pick.

No matter what happened before Cameroon match,i can tell u that 90% of those who prosecuted Algeria match w make d team .So camping sometimes in d senior team doesn't give rooms like under age camping where u are looking for d best.

The issue of having regulars in the team cannot be over-emphasized. To effectively build a TEAM u must have regulars. You are very right about this one. Barring any injuries/withdrawals I can personally list 9 -10 players that will start against Cameroun, Camping 'drills' or no camping 'drills'.

All those "if he impresses in Camp" thing TheGoodJoe is always talking about is just to.. undecided Well, I will comment my reserve.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:30am On Jan 20, 2017
Kog45:
TheGoodJoe no easy now,so don't be tired.

Tired Ke. Na just a pidgin expression.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:32am On Jan 20, 2017
Kog45:
Alampasu got d nod at d last minute over Emma for Algeria match coz NPFL was on break.Rohr can't imagine having two keepers who are on break in his team.Rohr even said it before rolling out invitations for Algeria that no room for home based coz they are on break,he only considered Ezenwa.

Spot-on.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:40am On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Mancini did not spend time selecting the best keeper for City. Camping and few preseason games was enough to make Joe Hart our number one over Shay Given who was an EPL great.

grin Selecting a goal keeper for the league is different from selecting a keeper for the national team.

There is still room for error and recovery in the league. They train regularly together and player several competitions. But for the national team where you know games are very limited, u barely have up to 4 days to train in camp and every point gained or lost counts, it takes a lot more trust to select a goalie. There is no room for wild risk taking.

I don tell you to collect form for coaching u no hear. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:48am On Jan 20, 2017
Kog45:

No matter what happened before Cameroon match,i can tell u that 90% of those who prosecuted Algeria match w make d team.So camping sometimes in d senior team doesn't give rooms like under age camping where u are looking for d best.

Nice point but first of all, it starts with,

LOOKING FOR THE BEST PLAYER.

No doubt, different coaches have different ideologies of the game but I am aligned to a coach who merits good performances.

Just like the goalkeeper coach you talked about, I cherish coaches who have a standing system in screening out the best players and stick to it. Within time, they can adjust the system but it stands as a framework for selection.

I expect a coach to have an idea if a player is better than another by watching him. For instance, runs, crossing, decision making.

When there is a potential better player, camping does it.

I do not expect camping thrown open every international window. But during within a certain time frame.

Camping goes on repeatedly. Clubs train almost everyday. This is done with the ones the coach believes are the best available. Keeping in mind the squad can improve.

From Martins, to Mikel to Osaze, it was promise, trial then selection. The age grade happens because of little known info of the players. As for experience, it deceives selection because a younger player might play better but get overlooked due to experience.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:52am On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

grin Selecting a goal keeper for the league is different from selecting a keeper for the national team.

There is still room for error and recovery in the league. They train regularly together and player several competitions. But for the national team where you know games are very limited, u barely have up to 4 days to train in camp and every point gained or lost counts, it takes a lot more trust to select a goalie. There is no room for wild risk taking.

They did not train regularly together. Joe Hart was on loan at Birmingham City. Shay Given was the undisputed number one and one of the best shot stoppers in the EPL. Joe Hart reported to Mancini that he was going back to Birmingham for the preseason. Mancini told Hart that he will select his number one goalkeeper after the preseason. After the preseason games, Mancini selected half.

How can we know the better player without scrutiny. That is the only way. You keep looking for the BETTER PLAYERS.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:54am On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

Players break into the National team even during tourneys. Emmanuel Amunike comes to mind. Talk less of qualifiers. We need the best players in every role. Any system to make sure we are fielding the best is accepted and find by me.

Relying on experience is wearing a blindfold to the truth.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:03am On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

The issue of having regulars in the team cannot be over-emphasized. To effectively build a TEAM u must have regulars. You are very right about this one. Barring any injuries/withdrawals I can personally list 9 -10 players that will start against Cameroun, Camping 'drills' or no camping 'drills'.

All those "if he impresses in Camp" thing TheGoodJoe is always talking about is just to.. undecided Well, I will comment my reserve.

Kill the term regulars. What should make the regulars are the best after scrutiny. The coach has to have confidence that he is feilding the best players available to prosecute the game.

When you start working with the terms, best, better, It will affect your orientation in this topic in the right perspective.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:05am On Jan 20, 2017
Icon4s:

Look at Ranieri. He needed two training sessions from Ndidi to play him. Ndidi impressed in camp in two sessions. Got the nod and won the man of the match. It is so simple.

(1) (2) (3) ... (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) ... (16172) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ThanosKilla(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.