Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,425 members, 7,812,251 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:43 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (962) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11614347 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (959) (960) (961) (962) (963) (964) (965) ... (16128) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 7:14pm On May 22, 2017
Joebie:
Ifeanyi Ubah FC has been unbeaten in seven straight matches. The only club in the NPFL to achieve that feat.

In the current league or in the history of Nigerian league?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 7:19pm On May 22, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Well Sir, The work permit rule has many facets now and already we know he won't get in thru the international games requirements route. So his transfer fee route, league involvement with former club route and more will come into play. This is his second full season in Europe and he was involved in more than 50% of Eupen's games and finished as one of the top 2 scorers in a decent league like Belgium.... so all these will contribute to the points system the English FA and permit home office will use to access the Onyekuru deal.

It is kinda not straightforward really as Onyekuru is not an EEA-player or is he? But his chances of a work permit are kinda bright... But I hope this Arsenal talk is not just talks....

Interesting. Thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:24pm On May 22, 2017
joseph1013:

Interesting. Thanks
as interesting and mouth watering this news is. The wenger factor is enough to discourage one. The probability of wenger signing him is 1/2.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:32pm On May 22, 2017
AIG07:
as interesting and mouth watering this news is. The wenger factor is enough to discourage one. The probability of wenger signing him is 1/2.

WENGER indeed, I won't be surprised if he under prize him, or even offering a trail, cos dats what he knows how to do best
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 7:41pm On May 22, 2017
OMANBALA1:

it should be in the current league cos I remember a season Enyimba went more than 10game without losing

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:43pm On May 22, 2017
maidaboi:
I am happy our players played well this week end sir tbaba1234 whats up with a'aron samuel

He had an ACL tear, that is a very serious issue and so it will take him some time to get back to speed. I am just happy that he is playing football again, the goals will come.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:03pm On May 22, 2017
Why not Inter Millan for Iheanacho? I think he needs a big striker in front of him and Icardi is one of the best there is right now. IMO now is the time to pursue being a SS. Plus Inter is a huge club who lost their way but right now have the funds to compete.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:28pm On May 22, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
Why not Inter Millan for Iheanacho? I think he needs a big striker in front of him and Icardi is one of the best there is right now. IMO now is the time to pursue being a SS. Plus Inter is a huge club who lost their way but right now have the funds to compete.
did Inter qualify for any European competition? Are they even looking to buy him?

He can only consider offers from interested clubs
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:36pm On May 22, 2017
safarigirl:
did Inter qualify for any European competition? Are they even looking to buy him?

He can only consider offers from interested clubs

I'm sorry did the thread officially get named as his consultants while i was gone? Abeg let me just speak my mind without all the extra stuff. Thank u.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:54pm On May 22, 2017
LEICESTER CITY'S NDIDI LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT SEASON
By Tomiwa Babalola

The 20-year-old is pleased with the Foxes finish in the English topflight, and he is anticipating the start of another season
Wilfred Ndidi is looking forward to the commencement of another season after a solid finish with Leicester City.

Craig Shakespeare’s men ended their English Premier League with a 1-1 draw against Bournemouth – to end the season in 12th position after a shaky start.

Since his move from Genk in January, Ndidi has been an instant hit for the Foxes racking up three goals in 17 appearances. Aside from this, he was named club’s Best Young Player of the outgoing season.

The 20-year-old started in all 36 games he featured in this term [Genk & Leicester City], and he is already weighing in on next season’s challenge.

‘The good thing is we are safe, looking forward to next season. Over 58 games in all competitions in 2016/2017 for me. #itcanonlybeGod,’ Ndidi tweeted.

Ndidi Wilfred @Ndidi25 Follow
The good thing is we are safe, looking forward to next season. Over 58 games in all competitions in 2016/2017 for me. #itcanonlybeGod 7:23 PM - 21 May 2017

The King Power Stadium giants ended the season without a silverware despite their participation in the Champions League, FA Cup, English League Cup and Premier League.

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4110/nigerians-abroad/2017/05/22/35745972/leicester-citys-ndidi-looking-forward-to-next-season

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:57pm On May 22, 2017
At your service Boss. smiley
joseph1013:
Interesting. Thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:00pm On May 22, 2017
Belgium Young Player Of The Year : Three Nigerian Whizkids Make Top Ten

At a gala ceremony on Monday night, in-demand Eupen frontman Henry Onyekuru took eighth in the voting for the Footballer of the Year in Belgium.

Youri Tielemans (Anderlecht) was named Player of the Year with 873 points, while the Nigerian claimed 82 points.

Three Nigerian whiz-kids made the top ten in another award category, the Young Player of the Year. Onyekuru finished third (450 points), ahead of Gent pair Samuel Kalu (109) and Moses Simon (88).

Earlier this month, the Eupen sensation achieved fourth place in the ‘Soulier d’Ebène’, the vote for the best African player in the Belgian professional leagues.

The three young Nigerians played key roles for their respective clubs in the just concluded season.

Onyekuru was challenging for the top scorer award, Kalu quickly settled into his new team after transferring from AS Trencin and Simon was a goalscoring threat.

Young Player Of The Year (Belgium)

1. Landry Dimata (KV Oostende) 815 points

2. Youri Tielemans (Anderlecht 669

3. Henry Onyekuru (Eupen) 450

4. Siebe Writers (RC Genk) 196

5. Sander Berge (RC Genk) 124

6. Samuel Kalu (AA Gent) 109

7. Moses Simon (AA Gent) 88

8. Aristote Nkaka (Mouscron) 66

9. Wesley Moraes (Club Brugge) 64

10. Razvan Marin (Standard) 54

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23142

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:04pm On May 22, 2017
Exclusive – Hot In Demand Onyekuru Breaks Silence Over Arsenal Interest In His Services

The race to sign hot in demand Nigerian forward Henry Onyekuru took a different twist this even when reports filtered in about Arsenal holding talks with the 19 year old.

Onyekuru scored 25 goals this season for modest side Eupen despite playing wide on the left, aside the nine assists he bagged in what is his debut season in the top flight of Belgium league.

His form has led to interest for his services, with Arsenal reportedly willing to trigger his contract release clause of £6.8 million, and a representative of the forward has lifted the lid on the offers on the table.

” There have been a lot of clubs from all over Europe wanting to sign Henry and we will speak to them as we have to make sure we make the right decision for him and his career”, a representative of his agent Mercato Sports said.

” We won’t be given out any names for now, but we are in talks with some teams, and Henry will have more time to study offers as the league in Belgium is over”.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/22/exclusive-hot-in-demand-onyekuru-breaks-silence-over-arsenal-interest-in-his-services/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:08pm On May 22, 2017
By Then I Hope – Newcastle and West Ham Linked Henry Onyekuru On When He’ll Reveal Future

In-demand Nigerian forward Henry Onyekuru expects to be able to confirm where he will play his football next season over the next seven to fourteen days.

Onyekuru's exploits in the Belgian top flight for minnows Eupen this season have seen a number of clubs keen to snap him up and the forward has been linked with Arsenal, Newcastle United, West Brom and West Ham.

Anderlecht and Club Brugge could look to keep Onyekuru in Belgium, but Celtic look to be out of the race after the forward ruled out moving to Scotland.

The transfer saga is not one which is likely to run and run however, after Onyekuru revealed when he should be able to confirm the club he will move to.

"I have not yet decided [my future] as I wanted to wait until the end of the playoffs" , he was quoted as saying by Belgian outlet Sporza .

"Hopefully I can confirm within one or two weeks where my future lies.

"I've always dreamed of the Premier Leage, but anything is possible - Belgium, Germany or England."

Onyekuru was on target on Saturday as he scored both Eupen's goals in a 3-2 defeat away at Roeselare.

Just 19 years old, the Nigerian has hit the back of the net an impressive 24 times this season, chipping in with nine assists for his team-mates for good measure.

Source: http://www.insidefutbol.com/2017/05/22/by-then-i-hope-newcastle-and-west-ham-linked-henry-onyekuru-on-when-hell-reveal-future/337749/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:42pm On May 22, 2017
Current season
OMANBALA1:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:09am On May 23, 2017
Depleted Super Eagles attack to face Corsica on Friday

Dami Ugbane, KweséESPN

Ahead of Friday's international friendly match between Nigeria and Corsica in Ajaccio, the Super Eagles will struggle to field a formidable forward line following the spate of recent withdrawals.

Austria Wien striker Kayode Olarenwaju pulled out of the friendly game last week due to club engagement with his Austria Bundesliga team.

At the weekend, his replacement Henry Onyekuru withdrew as well due to personal issues with regards to his imminent transfer from AS Eupen.

And, Victor Osimhen is tied down with Vfl Wolfsburg who is involved in a relegation playoff. A product of Aspire Academy, Onyekuru had a productive first season in the Belgium Jupiler league netting a total of 24 goals in 41 appearances across all club competitions.

"Onyekuru told me he can only be with the Super Eagles in France on Friday, so he is effectively ruled out for the match against Corsica the same day," a source close to the player disclosed to scorenigeria.com.ng.

Similarly, Osimhen will help German club Vfl Wolfsburg battle for Bundesliga survival in the relegation playoff against Eintracht Braunscheweiger following a 2-1 away loss against Hamburg last Saturday.

"He's out of the friendlies from all indications. Obviously, the playoffs are more important than the friendlies.

"I believe his club will communicate this information to the Nigeria Football Federation immediately," a source close to the player also disclosed to scorenigeria.com.ng.

In the absence of established forwards Ahmed Musa and Moses Simon, it is expected that the home-based offensive trio of Stephen Odey, Sikiru Olatunbosun and Alhassan Ibrahim will be given adequate game time on Friday to stake a claim for a shirt in the Eagles.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:10am On May 23, 2017
Sunshine fans go haywire in the aftermath of home loss to Lobi Stars

Dami Ugbane, KweséESPN

Violence reared its ugly head once again on the opening weekend of the Nigeria Professional Football League when Sunshine Stars fans lost their cool in Akure, following their 1-0 loss to Lobi Stars.

Former Sunshine player Kingsley Eduwo's 15th minute goal stunned the hosts at the Akure Township Stadium.

Trouble started when Sunshine Stars' goal was disallowed deep into stoppage time after the first assistant referee raised his flag.

Perhaps not taking kindly to a losing start to the second round of the league on home turf, the fans began to haul objects at the match officials from the popular side of the stadium, a situation which forced the game to be held-up for a few minutes.

However, full-blown violence was unleashed at the conclusion of the match. Security personnel fired teargas to disperse the irate fans who thronged onto the pitch to attack the match officials.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:12am On May 23, 2017
Ahmed Musa to open N500m sports complex in Kano

Colin Udoh, KweséESPN

Nigeria forward Ahmed Musa will open a sports complex estimated to be worth about N500 million in Kano next month.

The facility, which has two five-a-side pitches, a gymnasium, lounge, restaurant and a large multipurpose events hall, will be officially opened to the public on June 15

"People like football in Kano and they pay money to train in different places so I thought it would be good to have a standard place where all these people could have a good place to train, play football and relax too," Musa told KweséESPN.

"They like playing in the night too so this will be a good comfortable place to play football under floodlights and also to rest," he said.

Musa, who began his professional football career with hometown club Kano Pillars, remains a favourite among the fans in the ancient city.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:14am On May 23, 2017
Akwa United frustrate high-flying MFM in scoreless draw

By Tola Badekale

Akwa United played their Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) game at MFM with one man less in the last four minutes leaving the host team with little time to make any sort of impact in a match that ended 0-0.

Aremu Azeez's sending off was the third key moment of a match that had few chances of producing a goal.

The first moment came as early as the second minute when MFM striker, Sikiru Olatunbosun was put through on goal. But the pace of the pass and his awkward position in receiving it meant he was never truly settled for the shot he took, which went wide.

The second moment was Akwa United defender, Kodje Dadzie making a mess of a simple clearance by handling in the box. Up stepped Stephen Odey for his 15th goal of the campaign. It was not to be. The NPFL leading scorer uncharacteristically fired wide off target to the relief of Dadzie.

Before the third key moment of the match, Olatunbosun had in the 47th minute made a slalom run into the Akwa United defence, but he was thwarted by a last ditch tackle as he pulled the trigger. It was primed to be a fantastic start to the second half for the home team.

Perhaps, MFM could have won on the day. As they intensified their attack. Midfielder Onuwa Chukwuka unleashed a dipping shot from 20 yards. Agege Stadium had shouted for a goal, only for the fingers of Ojo Olorunleke to tip the ball over.

It was a save of the season contender. It was a save worthy of picking a point and ensuring MFM dropped points at home for the first time this season.

MATCH STATS
MFM 0-0 Akwa United
SHOTS ON: 4:0
SHOTS OFF: 3-3
CORNERS: 7-4
FOULS: 7-9
YELLOW: 1-1
RED: 0-1 (Azeez Aremu)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:38am On May 23, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
Sunshine fans go haywire in the aftermath of home loss to Lobi Stars

Dami Ugbane, KweséESPN

Violence reared its ugly head once again on the opening weekend of the Nigeria Professional Football League when Sunshine Stars fans lost their cool in Akure, following their 1-0 loss to Lobi Stars.

Former Sunshine player Kingsley Eduwo's 15th minute goal stunned the hosts at the Akure Township Stadium.

Trouble started when Sunshine Stars' goal was disallowed deep into stoppage time after the first assistant referee raised his flag.

Perhaps not taking kindly to a losing start to the second round of the league on home turf, the fans began to haul objects at the match officials from the popular side of the stadium, a situation which forced the game to be held-up for a few minutes.

However, full-blown violence was unleashed at the conclusion of the match. Security personnel fired teargas to disperse the irate fans who thronged onto the pitch to attack the match officials.

Violence and NPFL..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 12:59am On May 23, 2017
5 aside? hmmm
BascoVanVeli:
Ahmed Musa to open N500m sports complex in Kano

Colin Udoh, KweséESPN

Nigeria forward Ahmed Musa will open a sports complex estimated to be worth about N500 million in Kano next month.

The facility, which has two five-a-side pitches, a gymnasium, lounge, restaurant and a large multipurpose events hall, will be officially opened to the public on June 15

"People like football in Kano and they pay money to train in different places so I thought it would be good to have a standard place where all these people could have a good place to train, play football and relax too," Musa told KweséESPN.

"They like playing in the night too so this will be a good comfortable place to play football under floodlights and also to rest," he said.

Musa, who began his professional football career with hometown club Kano Pillars, remains a favourite among the fans in the ancient city.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:12am On May 23, 2017
Abdullahi Fired Up For Super Eagles Friendlies , AFCON Qualifier
By James Agberebi

Following the conclusion of the Cyprus top flight season, Super Eagles defender Shehu Abdullahi says his attention is now on the upcoming friendlies and 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.

Abdullahi's club Anorthosis Famagusto finished bottom in the six-team Cyprus Champions title play-off which was won by Apoel Nicosia.

Abdullahi made 29 appearances for Anorthosis in the league this season, scoring two goals.

"I'm looking forward to Super Eagles matches. The Corsica, Togo friendlies and the AFCON qualifier against Bafana Bafana. Soar Eagles," The Rio 2016 Olympic bronze medallist wrote on his Twitter handle on Monday.

The Super Eagles face Corsica on Friday, Togo on 1 June in Paris and South Africa on 10 June in Uyo.
One of Abdullahi's goals was voted second best in the just concluded league season.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/abdullahi-fired-super-eagles-friendlies-afcon-qualifier/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 3:52am On May 23, 2017
do4luv14:

WENGER indeed, I won't be surprised if he under prize him, or even offering a trail, cos dats what he knows how to do best
True that. But i know the guy will want to come to Arsenal. Plus he is guaranteed chances as long as wenger is there. The guy trusts talent when he sees it. Even when you're under performing he still trusts you.

Lookat Ramsey and Iwobi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:09am On May 23, 2017
Who was Africa's top breakout Premier League star?
By Ed Dove, KweséESPN

Various African players stood out during an engrossing Premier League campaign, but which of the continent's stars surpassed expectations and who overachieved?

In this feature, KweséESPN 's Ed Dove reviews the season that was, and picks out three breakout African stars of the season.

Wilfred Ndidi was hardly a household name when he was signed by Leicester City during the January transfer window.

Indeed, the 20-year-old only had less than two years of professional experience under his belt -- in the Belgian top flight -- and it was a significant gamble to throw him into the reigning champions' unexpected relegation battle.

However, Leicester's title success was built upon savvy and shrewd recruitment, and while Ndidi -- at £17 million -- was hardly a bargain basement addition, he proved to be another coup for the Foxes.

The youngster immediately offered the kind of midfield presence that Daniel Amartey and Nampalys Mendy had struggled to provide following N'Golo Kante's exit, and while he struggled on his Premier League debut against Chelsea, he thrived thereafter.

Ndidi scored in the FA Cup draw with Derby County and league triumphs over Stoke City and Watford as Craig Shakespeare's side pulled away from the drop, while he was the East Midlanders' outstanding player in a 1-0 win at West Bromwich Albion in late April.

The Nigeria national team look to have a gem on their hands, while the former Genk man has the potential to be Claudio Ranieri's final glistening contribution to his magical spell at the King Power Stadium.

Wilfried Zaha: Even before this season, there were few doubts about Zaha's technical prowess and ability to impress with the ball at his feet. Indeed, Sir Alex Ferguson had seen his talent as a precocious teenager at Crystal Palace and taken him to Manchester United in 2013.

That move ultimately proved to be premature for the Abidjan-born winger, who only managed two league outings during his two-year spell at Old Trafford.

In subsequent seasons, Zaha has shown flashes of excellence, but United will hardly have been ruing their decision to send him back to Palace in 2015.

That might have all changed this season!

After making a combined nine decisive contributions (goals or assists) in his previous 65 outings with the Eagles, Zaha made 16 in his 35 appearances this season -- seven goals and nine assists.
Despite the Londonders' struggles under Alan Pardew and their initial tricky months under Sam Allardyce, Zaha's consistency and invention shone through.

He's proved the doubters wrong, launched an international career with Ivory Coast, and it would be little surprise if the big boys came calling again this summer.

Victor Moses: Having been with Chelsea since 2012, 26-year-old Moses may appear to be a strange pick for a breakout star of the season.

However, no one predicted the significant rise in stature the Nigerian would enjoy this term after not only clinging onto his spot at Stamford Bridge, but actually establishing him as a key man in Antonio Conte's vibrant new side.

The wideman came into this campaign -- it's easy to forget -- on the back of mixed loan spells with Liverpool, Stoke City and West Ham United, but was kept on board by the incoming Italian manager, who clearly saw something that his predecessors missed.
Even more remarkable was that when Moses did break into the Blues' starting XI, it wasn't as a forward or a winger, but as a wing-back, with the West African adapting flawlessly to an unfamiliar role in order to fulfil a role in Conte's 3-4-3 formation.

Few can doubt the former Wigan Athletic man's contribution after he ended the year with 29 starts and became the third Nigerian to win the top flight.

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/football/blog/football-africa/80/post/3131976/who-was-africas-top-breakout-premier-league-star

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:45am On May 23, 2017
Is Arsenal the right move for Onyekuru?

I don't think so, Onyekuru has thrived in a system that allows him to come inside as much as he wants. He has also been the main man for Eupen. At Arsenal, he will not be the main man and could easily be a bench warmer. He should make his name with a mid-table team first.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:54am On May 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I am talking about Onyekuru using weights to bulk himself. If it comes to natural build, I can understand but he needs to maintain a lightweight. A good example is Ryan Giggs. He maintained a light frame through his career.
Ryan Gigs?

That your example no work o.

We know that blacks especially sports men typically bulk up with muscles more than the whites.

Give me an example of a black man that maintained a light frame all through his career.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 6:53am On May 23, 2017
tbaba1234:

I don't think so, Onyekuru has thrived in a system that allows him to come inside as much as he wants. He has also been the main man for Eupen. At Arsenal, he will not be the main man and could easily be a bench warmer. He should make his name with a mid-table team first.
you are on point
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 7:00am On May 23, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Who was Africa's top breakout Premier League star?
By Ed Dove, KweséESPN

Various African players stood out during an engrossing Premier League campaign, but which of the continent's stars surpassed expectations and who overachieved?

In this feature, KweséESPN 's Ed Dove reviews the season that was, and picks out three breakout African stars of the season.

Wilfred Ndidi was hardly a household name when he was signed by Leicester City during the January transfer window.

Indeed, the 20-year-old only had less than two years of professional experience under his belt -- in the Belgian top flight -- and it was a significant gamble to throw him into the reigning champions' unexpected relegation battle.

However, Leicester's title success was built upon savvy and shrewd recruitment, and while Ndidi -- at £17 million -- was hardly a bargain basement addition, he proved to be another coup for the Foxes.

The youngster immediately offered the kind of midfield presence that Daniel Amartey and Nampalys Mendy had struggled to provide following N'Golo Kante's exit, and while he struggled on his Premier League debut against Chelsea, he thrived thereafter.

Ndidi scored in the FA Cup draw with Derby County and league triumphs over Stoke City and Watford as Craig Shakespeare's side pulled away from the drop, while he was the East Midlanders' outstanding player in a 1-0 win at West Bromwich Albion in late April.

The Nigeria national team look to have a gem on their hands, while the former Genk man has the potential to be Claudio Ranieri's final glistening contribution to his magical spell at the King Power Stadium.

Wilfried Zaha: Even before this season, there were few doubts about Zaha's technical prowess and ability to impress with the ball at his feet. Indeed, Sir Alex Ferguson had seen his talent as a precocious teenager at Crystal Palace and taken him to Manchester United in 2013.

That move ultimately proved to be premature for the Abidjan-born winger, who only managed two league outings during his two-year spell at Old Trafford.

In subsequent seasons, Zaha has shown flashes of excellence, but United will hardly have been ruing their decision to send him back to Palace in 2015.

That might have all changed this season!

After making a combined nine decisive contributions (goals or assists) in his previous 65 outings with the Eagles, Zaha made 16 in his 35 appearances this season -- seven goals and nine assists.
Despite the Londonders' struggles under Alan Pardew and their initial tricky months under Sam Allardyce, Zaha's consistency and invention shone through.

He's proved the doubters wrong, launched an international career with Ivory Coast, and it would be little surprise if the big boys came calling again this summer.

Victor Moses: Having been with Chelsea since 2012, 26-year-old Moses may appear to be a strange pick for a breakout star of the season.

However, no one predicted the significant rise in stature the Nigerian would enjoy this term after not only clinging onto his spot at Stamford Bridge, but actually establishing him as a key man in Antonio Conte's vibrant new side.

The wideman came into this campaign -- it's easy to forget -- on the back of mixed loan spells with Liverpool, Stoke City and West Ham United, but was kept on board by the incoming Italian manager, who clearly saw something that his predecessors missed.
Even more remarkable was that when Moses did break into the Blues' starting XI, it wasn't as a forward or a winger, but as a wing-back, with the West African adapting flawlessly to an unfamiliar role in order to fulfil a role in Conte's 3-4-3 formation.

Few can doubt the former Wigan Athletic man's contribution after he ended the year with 29 starts and became the third Nigerian to win the top flight.

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/football/blog/football-africa/80/post/3131976/who-was-africas-top-breakout-premier-league-star
and players that perform below expectations
1. Isaac success
2. Amed musa
3. Islam slimani
i will want the two nigerians to do a depay and leave
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:26am On May 23, 2017
Icon4s:

Ryan Gigs?

That your example no work o.

We know that blacks especially sports men typically bulk up with muscles more than the whites.

Give me an example of a black man that maintained a light frame all through his career.

You are not getting my point. I am not saying he will not get more bulky than now. I said he should not bulk up with weights. If you compare Iheanacho and Isaac Success, you can clearly see that Isaac bulked up with weight.

My point is like Ryan Giggs, maintain a healthy lifestyle and grow naturally to keep his speed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:31am On May 23, 2017
tbaba1234:

Onyekuru reminds me a lot of Thierry Henry. His style of play to his guts. I say, if he works under Wenger who worked with Thierry Henry at Monaco as a youngster and revived Henry's career after he flopped at Juventus, the understanding might help Onyekuru reach the top of his game.

Although I have been critical of Wenger's youth developmental program lately, his knowledge of how he handled Thierry Henry can turn out an asset for Henry Onyekuru.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 7:37am On May 23, 2017
Onyekuru going to Arsenal will be a very wrong chioce. Infact, he would be warming the bench most times. Arsenal thrives on short passing system, henry is a ball hugger with lots of speed. He needs a team that will entertain his free style of play, not the one that is systemic. Defenders in epl will match him for pace & beat him for strength.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:05am On May 23, 2017
The situation at Arsenal is toxic at the moment with the uprising against Wenger and the failure to secure champions league football. Hardly a nice environment for a guy like Onyekuru to thrive.
On a particular Arsenal forum, these white supremacists have been ripping into he club for their attempt to sign an unknown Nigerian with no caps for their team.
Excepts:

(1) (2) (3) ... (959) (960) (961) (962) (963) (964) (965) ... (16128) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: enlady(f), elyte89, Melvinity and 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.