Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,915 members, 7,828,197 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (960) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11744858 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (957) (958) (959) (960) (961) (962) (963) ... (16178) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:50pm On May 21, 2017
Chaaaiiiiii.... why do I feel like you just inserted that just to make a cool nice case for Aluko? wink

What you say of Wolfsburg is true as regards not being the same side who conquered Germany. But I expect them to win the playoffs and stay in the bundesliga. Comparing Wolfsburg of now to Championship teams in England is really out of place coz The bundesliga dusts The EPL in technical class alone not to mention the championship.

Sir Komekn... abeg fear God naa.... which kain thing be this biko?

komekn:
Tbaba1234

I watched like you did, Wolfsburg and Hamburg yesterday I can clearly see why both teams are at the bottom of Bundesliga fighting for survival.

The pace of the game was very laboured the technical aspects of the game left much to be desired. Too many with no pressure going amiss.

The Wolfsburg of yesteryears seemed to have gone with the wind. Do you remember the Brazilian striker they had Grafiti who kept Obagoal on the bench a lot of the times. This team is very far off that level.

My opinion they looked like they would struggle in the championship. Your thoughts?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:52pm On May 21, 2017
komekn:
Tbaba1234

I watched like you did, Wolfsburg and Hamburg yesterday I can clearly see why both teams are at the bottom of Bundesliga fighting for survival.

The pace of the game was very laboured the technical aspects of the game left much to be desired. Too many with no pressure going amiss.

The Wolfsburg of yesteryears seemed to have gone with the wind. Do you remember the Brazilian striker they had Grafiti who kept Obagoal on the bench a lot of the times. This team is very far off that level.

My opinion they looked like they would struggle in the championship. Your thoughts?

They have not been very good this season. They had a few good games at the end but it was not enough. The team is in rebuilding phase.

They will probably end up at mid table in the Championship on present form.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:53pm On May 21, 2017
Lol... okay naa... better biko...

But yeah... the Belgian jupiler is not among the top 7-8 leagues in Europe but is definitely a good league ranking at least between 10th to 12th in Europe and in the world sef.

OMANBALA1:

Nnaa,I was just quoting people who used the phrase earlier...lol. However,compared to English,Italian,Germany , Spanish and even Dutch the Jupiler is very low in standard.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:05pm On May 21, 2017
I don't like this kind of fixture.... sad Ajagun vs K.Nwakali.... battle for the ticket into The Dutch eredivisie for next season....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arsenal Loanee Nwakali Bags Assist From Near The Halfway Line As MVV Book Place In Final

Nigeria U20 skipper Kelechi Nwakali inspired MVV Maastricht to a come-from-behind 2-1 win over Cambuur in the semifinals of the playoffs at the Cambuurstadion (Leeuwarden) on Sunday.

The Arsenal loanee came close to breaking the deadlock three minutes before the intermission, but hit the ball over the bar.

Trailing by one goal, the visitors equalized with ten minutes remaining when Nwakali picked up the ball near the halfway line before delivering it to Steven Pereira in the 18-yard box, and the defender fired past the goalkeeper.

In the third minute of stoppage time, Verheijdt popped up to net the winner and send MVV to the final.

On Thursday, May 25, MVV tackle Abdul Ajagun's Roda JC Kerkrade at De Geusselt, while the return leg takes place next Sunday at Parkstad Limburg Stadium, and the winner over two legs will be promoted to the Eredivisie.

Nwakali made his 32nd appearance of the season against SC Cambuur

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23130

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:11pm On May 21, 2017
denniece1:
81'Bukola Saraki - El Kanemi 2:1 73'Enugu Rangers - Gombe 1:1 77'Kano - Niger Tornadoes 1:0 78'Katsina United FC - Plateau 1:1 77'MFM FC - Akwa 0:0 79'Remo Stars - Enyimba 0:1 80'Shooting - Ifeanyi Ubah 0:2 82'Sunshine Stars - Lobi 0:1 78'Wikki - Abia Warriors 3:0
Lol! Away wins. Truly strange scorelines.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:20pm On May 21, 2017
Icon4s:

Lol! Away wins. Truly strange scorelines.

Really strange week
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 8:27pm On May 21, 2017
Coolio. Something to keep us busy for the next week or so grin

O pari

TheSuperNerd:
Salisu Yusuf and the local backroom staff will leave with the invited home based players tomorrow... (may 22) and the camp will officially open May 23rd.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 8:45pm On May 21, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Wilfred Ndidi: Life on the Fox lane
By Colin Udoh

Back in December, just before Wilfred Ndidi joined Leicester from Genk, an assertion on Twitter that he was better than N'Golo Kante was met with not a little derision on that social network .

Naturally, the reaction was no surprise, considering how much of an unknown quantity he was at the time.

Five months on, and half a season later, numbers - according to stat tracking service Squawka - are bearing out that bold statement.

Since making his Premier League debut, he has won the most aerial duels (33), won the most tackles (21) and made the second most interceptions (15) in the league.

Against Liverpool, he made a season-tying 9 tackles, level with Kante for the most in a single game.

Those are eye-catching numbers for a premier league rookie, and even more remarkable for one without the benefit of pre-season with his new club.

Ndidi, punching his phone as he shares a picture of a night out with his Belgian host family, looks up with some surprise as he contemplates the numbers

"No, I did not know about that," he said in response.

He may not have known, but those numbers, and his overall contribution to Leicester this season, won him the club's Young Player of the Year award. Again, it must be stressed, after barely half a season

When it comes to players however, two opponents stand out for him, Manchester United striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Chelsea's Eden Hazard

"Zlatan is very strong and has so much experience. Hazard is very quick with amazing technique."

Ndidi did manage to come out of games against those two smelling of roses despite the difficulty they posed, and that experience will no doubt serve him well as he prepares for a sophomore season in England.

For now, it is enough to see that at 20, and 6 years younger than Kante, he is already challenging the man he replaced at Leicester.

If he stays on his current trajectory, he could well be the best in the world by the time he is 26. Now how about that for a bold statement.

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/football/nigeria/story/3130323/wilfred-ndidi-life-on-the-fox-lane

By any measure, these are some really amazing feats. He's a gem.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 8:56pm On May 21, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Sir Odenigbo.... Biko... backwater is the wrong name for Belgian Jupiler League. Biko na-akpọ Belgium otu backwater na-akpọ Courtois, Kompany, na ọbụna Ndidi backwaters .... haba naa ...

Make una fear God naa..... sad

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:02pm On May 21, 2017
Icon4s:

Haha haha. Na the "the type" dey pain you like this? OK no vex.

But I have observed your bias is towards the foreign grown players. OK let me not use the word 'bias'. Hahahaha. Your preferences are towards foreign grown players. It is your opinion of which I am sure you have your reasons.

I do not need to be a psychologist to know that.

Talking about comparison of Success to Welbeck and Sturridge, I never said Success is at par with them o. I only said the way the English value Sturridge and Welbeck even despite they being injury prone that is how I value Success for Nigeria even though he is injury prone. The English celebrate each time Welbeck and strurridge are fit again to play for both clubs and national team. So also I am please each time Success is fit to honor national duty after several pull outs due to injuries.
That's all.

Then you said Danny Welbeck is not injury prone? A player that Since he joined Arsenal from Manchester United has been out due to injury for a far longer period than he was fit to play? A player that for 60% of this season he was out injured?

You said you played football in Benin City. Which area and which year?

I have a main vocation emanated from academic study with professional certification and two additional lines of interest both stemmed from experiential competencies gained.

Football and Security.

I can't tell you that with regards to Benin- City, I would loose my anonymity and the things I say I could be taken to task on and or considered a risk factor for leaks.

I am unashamedly biased in that I am involved with English football at so many levels. But that bias is an informed knowledge base one not by sentiment.

I also know that English football is intrinsically corrupt maybe more so than Nigerian football. You may find that hard to believe.

Welbeck had one bad injury but that didnt happen till he was 24+ so he is still not got too full fitness.

I cannot comment in players too much in Nigeria cause I simply do not have any indepth information on them.

However, once you get to Europe then the comparison is much easier. I will not consider you on past glories. But present continous performance and against the generally accepted terms of measurement. If that makes me biased well I plead guilty.

You still cannot compare Isaac to Sturridge and Welbeck because they gave gone so far ahead of him and achieved so much more even at a younger age than he is.

If Isaac was Oyibo he would have been slaughtered in the press as a waste of money.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:14pm On May 21, 2017
tbaba1234:

They have not been very good this season. They had a few good games at the end but it was not enough. The team is in rebuilding phase.

They will probably end up at mid table in the Championship on present form.

Possibly but if you consider the speed of the championship and the intense physicality they would face. I would place to them in the relegation segment.

On current form do you think they would find it easy to beat Blackburn and Wigan athletic Hmmmm whom you already know have been relegated.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:42pm On May 21, 2017
Gentlemen European football season are finally rounding up, next focus is the Super Eagles camp in france, upcoming Worldcup and Afcon qualifiers.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:46pm On May 21, 2017
Uche agbo is the first guy in the Eagles Camp.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:47pm On May 21, 2017
komekn:

Possibly but if you consider the speed of the championship and the intense physicality they would face. I would place to them in the relegation segment.

On current form do you think they would find it easy to beat Blackburn and Wigan athletic Hmmmm whom you already know have been relegated.

They will not be relegated. They have better technical quality than many championship sides.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:26pm On May 21, 2017
komekn:

I have a main vocation emanated from academic study with professional certification and two additional lines of interest both stemmed from experiential competencies gained.

Football and Security.

I can't tell you that with regards to Benin- City, I would loose my anonymity and the things I say I could be taken to task on and or considered a risk factor for leaks.

I am unashamedly biased in that I am involved with English football at so many levels. But that bias is an informed knowledge base one not by sentiment.

I also know that English football is intrinsically corrupt maybe more so than Nigerian football. You may find that hard to believe.

Welbeck had one bad injury but that didnt happen till he was 24+ so he is still not got too full fitness.

I cannot comment in players too much in Nigeria cause I simply do not have any indepth information on them.

However, once you get to Europe then the comparison is much easier. I will not consider you on past glories. But present continous performance and against the generally accepted terms of measurement. If that makes me biased well I plead guilty.

You still cannot compare Isaac to Sturridge and Welbeck because they gave gone so far ahead of him and achieved so much more even at a younger age than he is.

If Isaac was Oyibo he would have been slaughtered in the press as a waste of money.

Let me touch on your football and security aspect. Revealing where and when you played football in Benin is not likely to expose you in anyway here. There are so many legends of the game that lived or played in Benin. Keshi, Amodu, Oliha lived in Benin. Eguavoen still lives in Benin. Victor Igbinoba lives in Benin. And a host of many others.

Isaac Success, Elderson Echiejile, Osaze Odemwingie and Victor Moses played in Benin.

So boss, nothing to worry about.

You also mentioned you do not have indepth knowledge of Nigerian players in Nigeria. I think that sums it up. Some of us here have the indepth knowledge of those Nigerian players. So you know why we go all out to defend those boys.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:14pm On May 21, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Stop it. U asked where he was playing, then u used the fact he was not scoring goals against him.

What are you saying? Does not add up. My stance on Awo has not changed until now. I have watched Awoniyi miss goals over and over again. I noticed that he is good at getting into positions but his poor finishing ability restricted him from being a recognised quality talent.

I also pointed out that if he could turn his misses to goals he will go far.

Awo is also not as talented as his peers when it comes to ability with the ball. My view has not changed too. So what is the point your trying to make because I do not get it.

I hope this coach helps the young man find the back of the net regularly.

So used the fact he was not scoring goals against him does not add for me. Elaborate what you are saying.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:16pm On May 21, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

What are you saying? Does not add up. My stance on Awo has not changed until now. I have watched Awoniyi miss goals over and over again. I noticed that he is good at getting into positions but his poor finishing ability restricted him from being a recognised quality talent.

Awo is also not as talented as his peers when it comes to ability with the ball. My view has not changed too. So what is the point your trying to make because I do not get it.

So used the fact he was not scoring goals against him does not add for me. Elaborate what you are saying.

whatever helps u sleep at night boss.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:17pm On May 21, 2017
We are blessed to have excesses in the attacking department this time, I seriously hope that extends to our defence.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:17pm On May 21, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

The job of the coach is to put the player in the right places while the job of the player is to perform. I never said don't give the coach credit but the player must come first. He put in those hours and he has the skill that were put to use. He is not a machine that the coach spent hours programing. U always give the player the credit and then let him share it out how he see's fit. It could be teammates, coaches, family, etc.

I do not get this also. Did I say the player does not get credit? A big part of a players development is down to the coach. You can not change the fact. Also, if the coach today decides to change his pattern of play not to suit Awo's strength, will he perform?

I say give the coach credit. Awo said the team plays to his strength. That statement shows the coach deserves much credit.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:18pm On May 21, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

whatever helps u sleep at night boss.

Na wa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:26pm On May 21, 2017
tbaba1234:

Lukaku,
Ndidi,
Vincent Kompany,
Eden Hazard
Vermaelen
Fellaini
Jan Vertonghen
Alderweireld
Thibaut Courtois
Keshi
Amokachi
Babayaro

All these players are products of the Belgian League. It is ridiculous to call the Belgian League a back water league especially with Its history of producing world class talent.

The Belgians revamped their football and built from ground up from their academies. They are basically reaping the rewards of their investment in youth football in the early 2000's after their abysmal outing at the Euros which they co hosted with the Netherlands.
The development of those Belgian internationals you listed should be attributed to the revamp of their youth football than the quality of their league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:40pm On May 21, 2017
komekn:

Actually you need a good sports scientist and personal fitness coach. Otherwise you can bulk up and loose agility.

I am totally against Onyekuru bulking up. He should just keep working on his speed and skills. He will achieve more doing that than slowing himself with extra luggage.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:01am On May 22, 2017
goldfish80:

The Belgians revamped their football and built from ground up from their academies. They are basically reaping the rewards of their investment in youth football in the early 2000's after their abysmal outing at the Euros which they co hosted with the Netherlands.
The development of those Belgian internationals you listed should be attributed to the revamp of their youth football than the quality of their league.

As far as i can remember, the Belgian systems has always produced quality youth players though, especially young African talent. Remember the Mpenza brothers.

The performance of the Belgian teams in the Europa league this year shows that the league can compete with the best.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:37am On May 22, 2017
CAF AND NFF CONGRATULATE CHELSEA’S MOSES FOR PREMIER LEAGUE TRIUMPH
By Shina Oludare

The Nigeria international earned praise from the football governing bodies for winning his first English topflight title on Sunday

The Confederation of African Football and Nigeria Football Federation have congratulated Victor Moses for his English Premier League triumph with Chelsea.

Moses, who had failed to tie down a place in the Roman Army – which prompted his loan moves to Liverpool, Stoke City and West Ham United, repaid Antonio Conte’s faith in him with impressive showings this season.

The 26-year-old got three goals in 34 appearances for the Blues as they marched to their sixth English topflight conquest plus a place in the FA Cup where they battle cross-city rivals, Arsenal.

And Caf and NFF has hailed the Super Eagles star for his landmark achievement.

CAF@CAF_Online Follow. Congratulations @VictorMoses for clinching the @premierleague title #Africanplayers
5:49 PM - 21 May 2017

Nigeria Super Eagles @NGSuperEagles Follow
Congratulations to our own @VictorMoses following his club @ChelseaFC 's EPL title triumph.
#VictorMoses #SuperEagles 11:01 PM - 21 May 2017

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4110/nigerians-abroad/2017/05/22/35727862/caf-and-nff-congratulate-chelseas-moses-for-premier-league

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:39am On May 22, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I am totally against Onyekuru bulking up. He should just keep working on his speed and skills. He will achieve more doing that than slowing himself with extra luggage.

He is just 19. It is very difficult for him not to bulk up. Even Neymer the once paper weight has bulked up.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:43am On May 22, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You are on point bro.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:32am On May 22, 2017
Icon4s:

He is just 19. It is very difficult for him not to bulk up. Even Neymer the once paper weight has bulked up.

I am talking about Onyekuru using weights to bulk himself. If it comes to natural build, I can understand but he needs to maintain a lightweight. A good example is Ryan Giggs. He maintained a light frame through his career.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:28am On May 22, 2017
tbaba1234:

As far as i can remember, the Belgian systems has always produced quality youth players though, especially young African talent. Remember the Mpenza brothers.

The performance of the Belgian teams in the Europa league this year shows that the league can compete with the best.

Belgium of yester years weren't that productive when compared to their brothers from the other divide, Holland. They have always been the weeping boys of European football.
From 2002 down, they sparsely produced any good result in Europe or at the world stage.

On the back of their humiliation at home in Euro 2000, they decided to invest heavily on youth football. I understand they introduced a 4-3-3 system and made all academies across the country train young footballers in that system. The fruit of their work with their revamped youth system have seen them produce the world class footballers we have come to know these days.
Remarkably, they have overtaken their more illustrious neighbours, Holland these days.
We can learn a lot from Belgium.

By the way, the Mpenzas weren't world class players in the mould of Lukakus, Harzard brothers and Mertens like we have these days.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 8:51am On May 22, 2017
For the first in the Npfl an away team won by 3goals. 3SC 0 FCIU3

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:59am On May 22, 2017
EPL New Boys Brighton Make Check On Long-Term Target Troost- Ekong, Moses Simon

Brighton & Hove Albion manager Chris Hughton was spotted at Jan Breydelstadion (Brugge) on Sunday afternoon for the Belgian First Division A playoff game between Club Brugge and Gent.
Scouts In Attendance says the former Republic of Ireland star was among the 28,000 spectators at the stadium and it is unclear at this point the specific players he came to watch.

Three Nigeria internationals Moses Simon, William Troost-Ekong and Anderson Esiti showed off to the Seagulls manager, and the exciting young winger Samuel Kalu was also on parade.

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that the players Chris Hughton was believed to be monitoring are ex-Tottenham Hotspur and Fulham youth-teamer Troost-Ekong and winger Moses Simon.

Ekong had been linked with a move to the American Express Community Stadium before his return to Gent, while Simon is attracting huge interest from Premier League clubs, including West Brom.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23133

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:04am On May 22, 2017
zicky:
For the first in the Npfl an away team won by 3goals. 3SC 0 FCIU3

Well maybe for this season but they beat this same team 4-1 in 2015.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 10:15am On May 22, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Well maybe for this season but they beat this same team 4-1 in 2015.
you mean this same feature last two season ended 4-1 in thesame venue with no crowd trouble

(1) (2) (3) ... (957) (958) (959) (960) (961) (962) (963) ... (16178) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: COOL10(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.