Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,337 members, 7,954,386 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:55 PM

Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) (7372 Views)

Question For Atheists / Andres Bisonni Miracles: Atheists, Please Come In And Explain / Atheists Please I Need An Explanation. Coincidence Or Reality? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:58am On Apr 02, 2016
DeepSight:

Who told you religionists have not availed themselves of study and analysis?

Do you have any idea the level of thought, study, meditation, inquiry, rebuttal, councils, and institutions of learning that have evolved religions over the centuries? The whole of Western Civilization today owes a great deal to Institutions of Religion and Institutions developed by religious bodies. This same is true for the middle east, India, and most of the far East.

Do you have any Idea how many ancient universities were commissioned by Christian and Islamic authorities? Do you have any idea the advancements in theology, astronomy, and the arts and sciences put forward by these institutions?

It is very easy for you to sit back in your arm chair with your less than a century old life and proclaim that these religions have not put "study and analysis" into the matter of the existence of God. Very easy indeed, i tell you, but most presumptuous, you will find.

There was a time I looked with awful scorn on the general teachings of the Catholic Church. I no longer do so - even though I still do not agree with their teachings. The truth is simply that if you delve deep into the Catechism of the Roman Church, you will find a deep, and even severe level of study and analysis which has taken centuries to build and reform and it is only an arrogant or presumptuous person who would think otherwise - namely - to think that there has not been study and analysis involved in their theist worldview.

Three other important thoughts.

1. Remember that the "study and analysis" here only, as per this discussion is for the purpose of the Theistic discussion only and not for the general body of religionist teachings on other matters.

2. Remember that although I used the Catholic Church as an example, the same applies to religions all over the world. As per the Theistic matter, who told you that there has not been "study and analysis" involved in the worldview of Muslims, Hindus, and all sorts of other traditional and ethnic theistic religions all over the world? What gives you the right to presume so? Something tells me its simply the fact that they have a different point of view from yours.

A person who thinks that someone such as Richard Dawkins has given more "study and analysis" to the matter of the existence of God than the Institution of the Catholic Church has, is, to the the least, and unschooled person.

3. MOST IMPORTANTLY - Remember that over and above "study and analysis" - as important as these may be - the truth is that the human being has an instinctive and intuitive recognition of the existence of its Creator and other invisible beings. This is why the Theistic point view has been the default view of humanity from time immemorial and till this day. In truth, you and your atheistic folk form only a a minuscule and even deviantly unreasonable sect in a world that overwhelmingly recognizes the obvious. This is not to say though, that the majority view is always right, however in the matter of the recognition of God, it is a basic and fundamental instinct built into the human being. This is why a great poster on this forum (Justcool) once described being atheist as being "unhuman" (not inhuman - there is a difference).

In summary atheists are very close-minded
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by TheProphetess(f): 11:44am On Apr 02, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
I've never seen so much ignorance in one thread .I'm not sure why one atheist will have numerous accounts - male and female . Who the heck is TheProphetess . JackBizzle is that you ? sonofLucifer ? Cos "she" reasons like both of you . Anyway uncle plaetton continue with the bigoted post , they will surely come in handy cool .

I am neither of those people grin
If you find us so ignorant leave na. No one is forcing you. Unless you want to engage in intelligent discussion grin

Also mr DeepSight, is it not the same religious institutions that silenced scientific legends such as Galileo for questioning the flat nature of the earth and proposing that the earth is not the centre of the universe?

1 Like

Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by Nobody: 11:48am On Apr 02, 2016
TheProphetess:

If you find us so ignorant leave na. No one is forcing you. Unless you want to engage in intelligent discussion grin
What's funny is you'd rarely find him contribute on any of the other 'Christian' topics like 'the evils of masturbation'... it seems his intellect is more stimulated by our discussions with him.

3 Likes

Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by Nobody: 11:51am On Apr 02, 2016
everydayperson:
what if God was one of us... it would seem odd that this supreme omniscient phenomenon is ironically modeled after this Human Character . We are created in (not from) his image according to religion. (to walk rather than exist and to think rather than know)
Whenever we are in shock as a result of one of his petulant "human-like" traits.. we think it divine wisdom. The more I try to make sense of it, the farther "sense" flees away from me. after decades of chasing my tail.. I concluded.

1: The more knowledge we gain, the better our thought-sight gets. We are purposed for storing data and turning it into insight - Let us Function as designed
2: My ways are not your ways and neither my thoughts - But they are monsignor.. they are. it is inevitable.. man will express himself the only way GOD can... CREATE
3: This existence could all be a little quark swimming in a universe within a cell performing some nondescript function within ... OR
4: We are simply a petri-dish for some alien beings looking for answers just as we

make una no vex.. I was long insane before madness caged me
angry

Nicely put.
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by Nobody: 11:52am On Apr 02, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

In summary atheists are very close-minded
That's all you got from that post?
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:52am On Apr 02, 2016
TheProphetess:

You are not a worthy opposition at all
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by TheProphetess(f): 11:56am On Apr 02, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

You are not a worthy opposition at all

Or maybe you just don't have anything to say? grin
I really don't mind my views being challenged. In fact I encourage it. How else will I learn. If you disagreed with my post talk naa grin
Or return back to Christian chat box

1 Like

Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by TheProphetess(f): 11:58am On Apr 02, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

What's funny is you'd rarely find him contribute on any of the other 'Christian' topics like 'the evils of masturbation'... it seems his intellect is more stimulated by our discussions with him.

Maybe he is slowly succumbing to our school of thought but doesn't want to admit grin
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:58am On Apr 02, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Because of the propensity for arguments . Its more intellectually tasking to oppose a notion , to detect and dispel a misconception etc
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:02pm On Apr 02, 2016
TheProphetess:

Or maybe you just don't have anything to say? grin
I really don't mind my views being challenged. In fact I encourage it. How else will I learn. If you disagreed with my post talk naa grin
Or return back to Christian chat box

Actually , you'd find me in the non-Christian chat box . Ask sonOfLucifer , JackBizzle etc .
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by Nobody: 12:06pm On Apr 02, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Because of the propensity for arguments . Its more intellectually tasking to oppose a notion , to detect and dispel a misconception etc
Your intellect would be more gainfully employed dispelling misconceptions in Christiandom such as The Trinity,Jesus Christ's Divinity. Masturbation for the Single Christian , End Time Miracles and Signs and Wonders.

1 Like

Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by Weah96: 12:08pm On Apr 02, 2016
DeepSight:

To convince us otherwise, please can you attempt a rebuttal of the basic creationist worldview - without referring to the bible or its flaws at all. Let that be a starting point at least.

Creationism doesn't deserve a rebuttal. It's just an empty declaration made by humans who either had too little or too much to eat.

There are thousands of creationist tales, BTW.

I think maybe you should state what your own position is instead of hiding behind a generic creationism. Creationism is the equivalent of tapping out in the UFC.
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by DeepSight(m): 12:09pm On Apr 02, 2016
TheProphetess:

Also mr DeepSight, is it not the same religious institutions that silenced scientific legends such as Galileo for questioning the flat nature of the earth and proposing that the earth is not the centre of the universe?

Yes of course, that is all too well documented and is a notorious fact of history - but as per this discussion - you should understand that that is not unexpected either. It is only very normal in the development of knowledge that persons come up with points of view on a subject matter which contradict the orthodox or mainstream point of view. These are seen as heresies until proven and then they become the mainstream point of view. This happens in the scientific world up till today and will never cease to happen as long as knowledge grows. It is unfortunate that the Roman Church had such a barbaric and iron fisted approach to handling what it perceived as heresies - nonetheless the scientific world up till today stigmatizes theories that it sees as fringe, psuedo, non-mainstream, unorthodox or "heretical".

None of this takes anything away from the point which was being made - which you seem to have missed - and that point is that it is presumptuous and even ignorant to suggest that religionists have not "studied and analyzed" the question of the existence of God - as Plaetton suggested or insinuated. The fact is they have - and very deeply and for very long.
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:10pm On Apr 02, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

That's all you got from that post?

That atheists are ignorant , disingenuous and shallow thinkers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by Weah96: 12:10pm On Apr 02, 2016
DeepSight:

How so? Please go ahead and falsify it. I'd like to see you do so.

You will be exhibit A. Do you communicate with a god?
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:15pm On Apr 02, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Your intellect would be more gainfully employed dispelling misconceptions in Christiandom such as The Trinity,Jesus Christ's Divinity. Masturbation for the Single Christian , End Time Miracles and Signs and Wonders.

I do that too . Don't you see titles that start with "Dealing with Misconceptions :... " - that's my thread .

And Muafrika2 dont think you've won that argument angry smiley
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by DeepSight(m): 12:16pm On Apr 02, 2016
Weah96:

Creationism doesn't deserve a rebuttal.

This is lazy escapism. You do not have the head to deliver a well thought out line of reasoning and so you simply balk and run away with this excuse. I think this shows cowardice on your part. Man up.

And so what? The common denominator is that the universe as we know it was caused or created by a supreme or other superior beings, however described by the different colorful folk tales from around the world.

I think maybe you should state what your own position is instead of hiding behind a generic creationism.

Unless you are new to this forum, I have explained my position ad infinitum ad nauseum. I cannot repeat myself for ever, its tiresome already. I have been on this forum for 7 years now.
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:16pm On Apr 02, 2016
Weah96:

Creationism doesn't deserve a rebuttal. It's just an empty declaration made by humans who either had too little or too much to eat.

I think maybe you should state what your own position is instead of hiding behind a generic creationism. Creationism is the equivalent of tapping out in the UFC.

Directed Panspermia is creationism in fact
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by DeepSight(m): 12:17pm On Apr 02, 2016
Weah96:

You will be exhibit A. Do you communicate with a god?

Yes I do. Next? Go on.
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:19pm On Apr 02, 2016
TheProphetess:

Maybe he is slowly succumbing to our school of thought but doesn't want to admit grin

That life as complex , beautiful , and ordered at it is appeared from nothing , that cockroaches magically transformed to man over eons of time No thanks
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by Nobody: 12:20pm On Apr 02, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I do that too . Don't you see titles that start with "Dealing with Misconceptions :... " - that's my thread .

And Muafrika2 dont think you've won that argument angry smiley

I thought it's done and dusted grin

Ok. Can't wait for your thoroughly searched answer.
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by Weah96: 12:22pm On Apr 02, 2016
DeepSight:

This is lazy escapism. You do not have the head to deliver a well thought out line of reasoning and so you simply balk and run away with this excuse. I think this shows cowardice on your part. Man up.

Go through my threads. Or ask kingebukasblog. I cannot repeat myself every time an excited creationist shows up.
It's like the class is on chapter 11, and you're here asking about chapter 3. It's not my fault that you were absent.
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by DeepSight(m): 12:25pm On Apr 02, 2016
Weah96:
Go through my threads. Or ask kingebukasblog. I cannot repeat myself every time an excited creationist shows up.
It's like the class is on chapter 11, and you're here asking about chapter 3. It's not my fault that you were absent.

Excited creationist? Lol. It appears we are quite strangers.
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by Weah96: 12:28pm On Apr 02, 2016
DeepSight:

Yes I do. Next? Go on.

Does the god identify itself to you as Allah, Jesus, Thor, or Osiris? Is it affiliated with a book?
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by Weah96: 12:34pm On Apr 02, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Directed Panspermia is creationism in fact

If you say so buddy. I always felt that the Bible was pretty clear on what and how things were created. A non material being used his mouth to declare materials into existence.
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:35pm On Apr 02, 2016
Weah96:

Evolution is creationism in disguise cool . I dont see why evolution precludes a designer .

Creationism is basically deity-orchestrated design . Designs can also be achieved through evolution

I dare you rebut that
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:37pm On Apr 02, 2016
Weah96:

If you say so buddy. I always felt that the Bible was pretty clear on what and how things were created. A non material being used his mouth to declare materials into existence.

"The bible was pretty clear " - that's how shallow atheists accommodate their unbelief and reassure themselves that life as it is does not necessitate a designer .
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by Weah96: 12:44pm On Apr 02, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

"The bible was pretty clear " - that's how shallow atheists accommodate their unbelief and reassure themselves that life as it is does not necessitate a designer .

Whether life was designed or not is inconsequential. We still have to address the books. What is it, you wanna be a deist now?
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by Weah96: 12:50pm On Apr 02, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Evolution is creationism in disguise cool . I dont see why evolution precludes a designer .

Creationism is basically deity-orchestrated design . Designs can also be achieved through evolution

I dare you rebut that

Things being declared into existence using thoughts and words are not the same as things evolving over time. But if it helps you sleep...
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by DeepSight(m): 12:54pm On Apr 02, 2016
Weah96:

Does the god identify itself to you as Allah, Jesus, Thor, or Osiris?

None of the above, indeed, I know of no name of it.

"God" is simply a word in a language used to represent an idea, entity or a concept, the same way words are used to refer to things - tangible or intangible. The fact that people give names to "God" in the languages is only normal and does not necessarily show that they are referring to a different entity or idea.

Is it affiliated with a book?

People have written hundreds of thousands of books about God throughout history. That does not necessarily mean God is affiliated with any particular book.

Next?

Your line of "falsifying" is not working so far. . . . .
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:59pm On Apr 02, 2016
Muafrika2:

I thought it's done and dusted grin

Ok. Can't wait for your thoroughly searched answer.

Thoroughly searched grin . No bro , you believe a dangerous misconception that needs to be dispelled ASAP
Re: Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) by DeepSight(m): 1:02pm On Apr 02, 2016
Weah96:

I am sorry to say, but your reading of even the Bible or other spiritual material appears horrendously shallow. What do you mean by referring to a non material being using a mouth? Did you think whilst writing that? ? ?

Now, lets assume a Divine entity - God - does exist and did create by its word. Do you presume that at such a level of existence its words would be as our words? what do you imagine its words would be like?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are We Living in the End Times? / King Solomon Was A Black Man...biblical Facts. / Top 10 Churches You Would Find At Every Corner In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.