Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,585 members, 7,847,461 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 05:57 PM

Travelling To Canada Part 10 - Travel (226) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 10 (1016053 Views)

Peace Mass Bus Travelling To Abuja Involved In Fatal Accident,Many Dead(photos) / Travelling To Canada Part 11 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) ... (403) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by dejilale: 9:59pm On Jul 02, 2016
Hello seniors, pls I really need clarification on this;
I am 29,I graduated in 2010 with a 2/2 (CGPA 2.9) and I intend going for my masters in canada. What are my chances pls.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by tundechange: 10:44pm On Jul 02, 2016
Hi People,

Please I will like to confirm if CIC uses the official exchange rate to determine the sufficiency of Proof of Fund or they use parralel (black) market?

Also, is Pension Fund (RSA) acceptable as a Proof of Fund?

Thanks!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by bjmme: 11:18pm On Jul 02, 2016
dejilale:
I am 29,I graduated in 2010 with a 2/2 (CGPA 2.9) and I intend going for my masters in canada. What are my chances pls.
you can get Pgd not master
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by bjmme: 11:19pm On Jul 02, 2016
dejilale:
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by andre99(m): 11:41pm On Jul 02, 2016
Hello house, what are my chances of getting a TRV, i av a 2:1 with a CGPA of 3.73, i intend going for a PGC instead of a Masters program, i hope it's not a red flag to the VO.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Kulllchi: 1:58am On Jul 03, 2016
Anybody going to newbrunswick community college for fall??
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Ivycole: 2:22am On Jul 03, 2016
mcobex:
I think he can claim to be ur maternal uncle(ur mum's brother), let him explain it in his letter & u also do same in ur sop. Hope this help

Thanks a lot. I'll work on it
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by lawmerchant: 3:21am On Jul 03, 2016
andre99:
Hello house, what are my chances of getting a TRV, i av a 2:1 with a CGPA of 3.73, i intend going for a PGC instead of a Masters program, i hope it's not a red flag to the VO.
Yes. It will raise a red flag. You have a good grade that will conveniently secure you a masters admission without much ado. More so, you have better chances of securing a study permit with a Masters admission than a PGD admission.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Rijo02: 4:37am On Jul 03, 2016
Hi, I have been a silent observer on this thread but used to be active in the U.S student visa when I applied for my U.S visa in 2014. I am currently completing my MSc in the U.S and will be going for my PhD in Canada. Just received my passport today and would like to share my experience with all applicants especially those intending to apply outside of Nigeria.

17th May: Submitted my online application
Documents submitted:
• Study permit form (IMM1249E)
• Family information form (IMM5645E)
• Admission letter with funding
• Passport data page
• Digital photo
• Letter of Explanation: My offer was conditional cos I am yet to finish my MSc. Since I have applied for graduation in summer, I requested the graduate school to write a letter stating that it will be conferred this summer.

19th May: Biometrics in Atlanta.

20th May: Update on my MyCIC (Biometrics)

I later found a Los Angeles study permit document checklist which stated that I needed to have submitted an immigration document to shows that I am legally permitted to reside in the U.S since it’s not my country of citizenship. Also other information like explanation for travel to Canada, income slip, etc. And it was actually stated on the checklist that failure to submit all those would lead to a refusal of the study permit.

Seeing such information was disturbing cos I don’t want a hustle given that I am currently focused on my thesis. I spoke with friends in Canada and some said it doesn’t matter while others advised I send the omitted documents. I was kinda hesitant to send them cos I read on the CIC website where they said that applicants don’t need to send additional documents that they will contact applicants if they need additional documents. But remembering that one of my friends (studying in the U.S) was refused a visitor’s visa to Canada cos he didn’t submit his I-20 made me conclude that I rather submit the omitted documents and it becomes surplus than get refused and start all over again.

4th June: Sent a case specific enquiry explaining the reasons for the omission of the immigration documents of which I attached my I-20, driver’s license, U.S student visa, and I-94.

Days after I already sent the omitted documents, I was kinda worried about not getting any correspondence from them. I had expected they would have contacted me for my passport so as to roundup the processing in 4 weeks (Study processing time in the U.S). I found Gboyega’s post here, contacted him and we talked about his experience with the CIC moving from the U.S to Canada.

14th June (Exactly 4th week of my application): No reply. It disturbed me the more so I started planning on emailing them just to remind them that its past my processing time. But I decided to give them some time probably the day of biometrics is what they actually count as the 4th week.

16th June: No reply. Nothing!!! So I drafted an email, using my university email with my research assistant position signature just to convince and/or confuse the reader.

16th June: I received an automatic acknowledgement of the email I sent which is usual. But within 30 mins, I received another email acknowledging the documents I sent via case specific enquiry. For my mind, I was like, so you guess were just waiting for a prod to start acting. I actually thought they will approve it the next day, Friday, (Akuko) but it didn’t come. I said ok, Monday, but it never came. Whoa!! Well, I just had to remove my mind from the CIC guys to focus on other important things.

21st June: 11:32am ET (8:32am PT), I got an email saying I should check my CIC account. I was already sure it was a passport request. I just had to follow the procedures so I don’t omit any stuff anymore. Actually, the process of sending passport was even more complex than I thought. I assumed I would just send it to the Visa office not knowing the VAC will come in. (If I am asked to say, this doesn’t really make much sense). The procedure according to VAC was to send my passport alongside consent letter (2), $30.59, the passport request letter, and a return waybill. Funny enough, I wanted to write a check and send all documents to them immediately. But calling the VAC to confirm I was in the right track, they said I can’t send a personal check. It’s either money order or some other payment method. And I would need to copy the money order and send the copy of the money order alongside my passport to their office in LA while the payment should be sent to their locker room in Utah. Smh!!!

21st June: Sent all necessary documents to the appropriate locations with USPS Priority mail (2 days delivery).

22nd June: Update email on MyCIC.

22nd June: Approval email. Reading through the approval, it stated that the visa have been fixed on my passport. Bear in mind my passport never delivered to the VAC Los Angeles not to mention the Visa office.

23rd June: Passport delivered in VAC. Waiting for a receipt email from VAC but none came. Then I called VAC and was told it will take 48hrs for them to update my package. However, I got a passport receipt confirmation from VAC at 4:53pm PT same day.

24th June: Passport in transit to Visa office (tracking from VAC website).

24th June: Passport received by Visa office----------in consideration. Then I was wondering why the system is so messed up. How can they be considering an approved application? I was even told it takes 10-15 working days to get passport back. I shouted Chei!!!! Despite approval……Canada diariz god ooo.

29th June: Second approval email. (MyCIC).

29th June: Passport processing completed-------------in transit to VAC.

30th June: Passport processing completed-------------in transit to applicant from VAC. I actually wanted to receive my passport before Monday, July 4th Independence holiday. But then my waybill was never activated via USPS. Speaking with VAC guys, I was given several wrong information about the dispatch of my passport that I started wondering if they lost my passport (not actually the visa cos I know it’s already mine but my passport).

30th June: 5:24pm PT USPS tracking showed passport picked up.

2nd July: Delivered to my apartment mailbox. And I was like finally!!!

I am sorry this was really long and might be boring to even read. However, I think it is needful I give every detail cos someone will need it.

Words to keep in mind:
Be courageous and most importantly, worry less. It is difficult but worrying will never expedite the process. Apply early enough……..e.g., if your coming for Fall, apply as early as April. Having time to yourself helps a lot. And to achieve this, you need to apply to the school of your choice early too. Get the admission and your visa application documents ready to go. Most importantly, since it takes even longer to process in Nigeria, the best you can do is to submit all required (even the unrequired ones that will convince the consular) documents so as to avoid unnecessary delay in processing your application. For applicants living outside Nigeria, you can definitely apply outside Nigeria once you can prove your legal right to stay in the country you reside. Hopefully the processing time will be shorter than in Nigeria.

In all, I wish you all success in your pursuits.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by amaragrace94: 5:41am On Jul 03, 2016
Happy sundays pals....God over everything.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Nobody: 6:17am On Jul 03, 2016
Hello everyone
Longtime
I want to extend my admission to January
Since I know I won't meet September classes(visa ish)
I have mailed the school(Humber college) but no response from them yet
Do I apply again to get the January admission letter or I just request for a new admission letter
Your prompt response is greatly anticipated.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by CSSPATRICK: 6:47am On Jul 03, 2016
Kirri:
Hello everyone
Longtime
Do I apply again to get the January admission letter or I just request for a new admission letter

I took same risk but certainly not as late as urs. Did u do upfront medical? If yes and ur documents r ready u can give it a try. But since u have decided to defer ur admission, its always a wise decision. Good luck.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Gastuso: 7:00am On Jul 03, 2016
tundechange:
Hi People,

Please I will like to confirm if CIC uses the official exchange rate to determine the sufficiency of Proof of Fund or they use parralel (black) market?

Also, is Pension Fund (RSA) acceptable as a Proof of Fund?

Thanks!
Yes I used my Pension account in addition to my bank statement. My Pension account reflects my contribution since inception.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by snoop4dem: 7:24am On Jul 03, 2016
This is false information. My CGPA was lower than 2.9 and I got admission for a masters program in canada. The chances are slim but not impossible
bjmme:

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by humbleosazee: 8:02am On Jul 03, 2016
Pls house I need advice, my application is going to 9 weeks, no medical call from CIC.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by blaugrana82(m): 8:21am On Jul 03, 2016
snoop4dem:
This is false information. My CGPA was lower than 2.9 and I got admission for a masters program in canada. The chances are slim but not impossible
2.90 and you got masters admission? what year, course and how did u do it? cos schools in Canada aren't accepting anything less than 3/4 which is equivalent to 3.75 CGPA for masters. so I'm still wondering how u got a masters program admission with 2.90 CGPA if truly. pls enlighten us. it would be highly appreciated
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by andre99(m): 9:14am On Jul 03, 2016
I'm really getting confused here, @lawmerchant said i can easily get a masters admission with a 3.73 CGPA, @snoop4dem also said he got a masters admission for a CGPA as low as 2.9, @blaugrana82 said it is not possible to get admitted with a CGPA lower than 3.75, it is always stated on university's website admission requirement have atleast Grade B, I already got an offer letter from a college, shoud i go ahead with my visa application? People with experience shd enlighten us here.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by foreverkind1(m): 9:22am On Jul 03, 2016
andre99:
I'm really getting confused here, @lawmerchant said i can easily get a masters admission with a 3.73 CGPA, @snoop4dem also said he got a masters admission for a CGPA as low as 2.9, @blaugrana82 said it is not possible to get admitted with a CGPA lower than 3.75, it is always stated on university's website admission requirement have atleast Grade B, I already got an offer letter from a college, shoud i go ahead with my visa application? People with experience shd enlighten us here.
Boss ,I think u should try uni of Ottawa and what's your exact Cgpa?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by tundechange: 9:24am On Jul 03, 2016
Gastuso:

Yes I used my Pension account in addition to my bank statement. My Pension account reflects my contribution since inception.

@Gatuso,

Thanks for the response. Please what document did you submit for your Pension Fund? Are you processing PRV? If yes, how can one realise one's pension fund when moving to Canny if you can post the answers here.

Thanks boss!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Arcayo: 9:31am On Jul 03, 2016
andre99:
I will advise you contact the school of your choice directly no one on this thread is admission officer neither a VO, do your research well don't conclude quickly on speculations and also if you have the mind take risk of what people said it's impossible, it might b possible for you
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by jj17cv(m): 9:36am On Jul 03, 2016
@humbleosazee
Mine is almost 11 weeks paper routs No medical called from CIC let us keep praying
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by SAMUELS3(m): 9:37am On Jul 03, 2016
Gastuso:

Why should you leave a company that is given u a letter of introduction and leave to the Embassy. You may be lucky, they may not write to confirm from your employer, but most times we need to play safe. You can't use your new employer bc CIC insist you must be with the company if am not mistaking for at least four months or thereabouts. Not too sure about the number of months anymore. Please when is your academic start date?

January. Thank you for your advice.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Bhoyo: 10:22am On Jul 03, 2016
Pls which school is that?

snoop4dem:
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Kriss77: 12:01pm On Jul 03, 2016
Kirri:
Hello everyone
Longtime

As for me...do not defer if you have made some tuition instalment and u av ur receipt... Mehn go ahead and apply....even if ur school resumes in 2weeks time jst go ahead and apply....if your documents are okay...CIC will ask u to present a new offer letter knowing fully well dat u av tuition instalment....so den u can contact your admission officer for a new offer letter...dats all...

It worked for me...i applied in jan4 while school resumes on jan 15.....self confidence is all dat matters....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 03, 2016
lawmerchant:

Yes. It will raise a red flag. You have a good grade that will conveniently secure you a masters admission without much ado. More so, you have better chances of securing a study permit with a Masters admission than a PGD admission.
i disagree! Having second class upper division and going for PGC does not raise any red flag as long as u have an explanatory reason for going for PGC, atimes some people have low 2.1 which is not competitive enough to secure a masters program.also the funds for masters aint there and you can opt for PGC. University degree in Nigeria is just paper work,so if someone for example has engineering background without experience in an intended specialty area he wants to focus, PGC can be an option depending on what an individual wants.you can state you wanted PGC to gain the TECHNICAL/PRACTICAL KNOWLEDGE which is needed with the concerned emerging technologies.Companies employ engineers and send them abroad for PGC study to have the practical/ Technical knowledge for each specialty area one might be positioned on return not our naija paper work.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Kriss77: 12:39pm On Jul 03, 2016
Been a while here....

Its ur boy kriss77...
Landed here in toronto last night!!!what a long trip though,..since friday morning... Buh Glory be to God.

Mehn i displayed madness @ MMA when ethiopian airline check in assistant told me dat i cant leave cos my school resumes in September, and dat about 3 students dat came before me has agreed to change their dates...bla bla bla and dat even a guy was deported for coming so early.....
Buh d rate at which i displayed my madness...they had to take me to their manager....Naso d manager begin blast dem dat d guy dat was deported had his own issues..dat he cud nt defend himself to d canadian immigration officer at the POE....The manager said we are sorry for any inconvenience, that i shud go and check in....well i did...buh yet i was given a form to sign dat if anything happens i get rejected @ d POE...i'll bear the cost of my return ticket....naso i sign am...coz dey av seen dat diz guy is very a stubborn individual.

We got served wif food several time dat i cud nt count...met alot of friendly pple on board..

We arrived at pearson airport...Mehn dis was wen all that i was told at MMA start rolling up my mind...and i was thinking within me like...dat guy dat was deported wat cud he have done wrong!!...

But with faith i went straight to the POE..
I tendered my introduction letter and passport.
Then d officer asked for my offer letter...and i gave it to him....he told me to go and sit down dat he'll call me..

Jst like 7min after....he called me...my pple...he handed my study permit and work permit and said..ok enjoy Canada!!!
I was not even asked a single question like...proof of fund,tuition receipt... etc
I walked through the journey with FAITH...

So u dnt let anybody scare u @ all...
Jst believe in urself and move on...NO SHAKING..

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Folatem: 1:23pm On Jul 03, 2016
Hello Forumites,

Please, is it possible to secure a PhD (Engineering) admission in Canada with a M.Eng Average score of 57.3% (GPA 3.9)?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Gastuso: 1:34pm On Jul 03, 2016
tundechange:

@Gatuso,

Thanks for the response. Please what document did you submit for your Pension Fund? Are you processing PRV? If yes, how can one realise one's pension fund when moving to Canny? Please you can reply me on tundechange20@gmail.com if you can post the answers here.

Thanks boss!
Guy go to your PFA and tell them to print for you, your Pension statement of account from inception. You can get it free of charge. This statement is not always stamped and you don't need to notarised it. If you notarised it, it becomes invalid. I applied for TRV to study PhD in Music at the University of Alberta and it was approved on June 22nd, 2016.
You can't use your Pension fund to cater for your studies. Your Pension account is a financial security that generates income on quarterly basis and can only be accessed upon retirement or when one clock 50 or thereabout. So, including it in your application only connotes, if am not mistaking here, a tie to your homeland.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by sammymexi(m): 1:35pm On Jul 03, 2016
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by sammymexi(m): 1:36pm On Jul 03, 2016
Congrats.....may God answer us as he answered ur prayers.....we have no choice Dan to keep d faith. it shall be well with all TRV hopefuls ...delay is not denial . it will all end in Praise . In Jesus Name...<<<<I tot I would hear an Amen>>>>

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Gastuso: 1:39pm On Jul 03, 2016
Folatem:
Hello Forumites,

Please, is it possible to secure a PhD (Engineering) admission in Canada with a M.Eng Average score of 57.3% (GPA 3.9)?
As a faculty member, that grade cannot even give you an admission into a PhD programme in Nigeria. PhD grade is from 60% upward. But bro all hope is not lost. Most Canadian University place emphasis more on undergraduate degree. If you have a strong undergraduate result, you can apply for M.Eng/PhD programme.
Or better still you can do a postgraduate diploma.
This is my view, others may have superior advice than this. Best of luck
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by lawmerchant: 1:43pm On Jul 03, 2016
michV:
i disagree! Having second class upper division and going for PGC does not raise any red flag as long as u have an explanatory reason for going for PGC, atimes some people have low 2.1 which is not competitive enough to secure a masters program.also the funds for masters aint there and you can opt for PGC. University degree in Nigeria is just paper work,so if someone for example has engineering background without experience in an intended specialty area he wants to focus, PGC can be an option depending on what an individual wants.you can state you wanted PGC to gain the TECHNICAL/PRACTICAL KNOWLEDGE which is needed with the concerned emerging technologies.Companies employ engineers and send them abroad for PGC study to have the practical/ Technical knowledge for each specialty area one might be positioned on return not our naija paper work.

if it does not raise a red flag why does he need to provide "an explanatory reason for going for PGC"?
Do you also 'disagree' that he has "better chances of securing a study permit with a Masters admission than a PGC admission."?

(1) (2) (3) ... (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) ... (403)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 8 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.