Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,984 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:18 AM

Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH (29544 Views)

Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC / UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands / 3 Ex-Militants Graduate With First Class Degrees In UK Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 3:18pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

Mtcheew!!

Do I look like some ignorant tramp to you?

Do you think I dunno what "webometrics" means?

Isn't it some way of ranking the website component of schools as well as their impact?

Wh tf has webometrics helped?

I'm talking about best schools you're telling about website rankings.

Oga, dey go jarey, I don close.

You said no international ranking can put a private university ahead of a public university. Isn't that what you said? And i just told you about one that does. Stop forming like you are the only one that knows your stuff. We all know what webometrics means. Its respected whether it's for websites or not.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 3:22pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

Hearsays. All hearsays.

Don't make statements you won't be able to defend.
This is not about hearsay. My cousin and I are close.
We discuss a lot, share ideas and materials.
What I said in my comment is the fact. Same thing happened to me during my research project.
I told my supervisor, that I would be using a certain software called HYSYS the man ridiculed it just because he doesn't understand it. Am not here to ridicule any school I am saying the fact. Am a graduate of Unilag and I do tell my lecturers then, that we need a serious reform in our schools, most especially science and technology courses.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 3:23pm On Apr 08, 2016
Nusaf:
'English' is a proper noun just the way ur name is a proper noun too.
Its a proper noun when used to describe someone from England.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 3:24pm On Apr 08, 2016
Draxler:

Oh sir it's per month. 10GB per month. And the scholarship is given after the graduates write an exam. So if the first class graduates are so bad why do they do better than your public uni first class graduates in that particular exam. Do we start with inventions sir? Your screens are they in every classroom? Do you recycle Your own waste for purposes relating to renewable energy? Lame ko. And like I said earlier we are higher than you in the webometrics rankings. So please stop looking down on private university graduates. That's the point of this discussion.

Okay, 10GB per month is large but you can wake me up when it gets larger than unlimited.

This scholarship scheme you're talking about, I'd never heard about it until now so you can bet that if a sizeable number of federal school students hear about, they'll be sure to displace your folks from the beneficiaries.

No sir, we don't recycle our waste for the purposes energy renewal; do you have a genetically engineered animal? Any animal?

Do you even have a zoo?

No? I guessed as much.

Like I said, webometrics is shit. No one gives a flying _fuck about webometrics except the Covenant university folks who are understandably gleeful about besting a reputable institution like Unilorin in any field; even if it's in one as inconsequential as webometrics.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 3:30pm On Apr 08, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:

This is not about hearsay. My cousin and I are close.
We discuss a lot, share ideas and materials.
What I said in my comment is the fact. Same thing happened to me during my research project.
I told my supervisor, that I would be using a certain software called HYSYS the man ridiculed it just because he doesn't understand it. Am not here to ridicule any school I am saying the fact. Am a graduate of Unilag and I do tell my lecturers then, that we need a serious reform in our schools, most especially science and technology courses.

Let's imagine that the story's true, how does that story make private universities better or even attain peership with their federal counterparts? Did your cousin tell a private uni lecturer that same thing and was met with a warm and positive response?

Lesson: Just because your school your school doesn't have doesn't mean most federal schools don't and it certainly doesn't mean a private uni does.

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Nusaf: 3:31pm On Apr 08, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:

Unilorin my foot. My cousin graduated as the best students in his class in 2013. He studied geology.
He once told me he had a conversation with one of his lecturers about a drilling technique called Auger bucket drilling which his used for geotechnical problem.
The responded that he doesn't know it and if he writes such thing during his exam he will fail him.
What am I driving at, lecturers in govt universities are backward. The same thing happened to me doing my research project.
Where do u think private universities source their lecturers from? Most of these graduates of private universities were withdrawn from public universities due to poor academic performances. They simply could not cope with the academic demands of public schools. A true first class graduate is one who was able to pass through all challenges in a public university and still emerge with that grade. Remember, degree is awarded both in character and learning. As such you must be able face all challenges, including the unruly behaviours of your lecturers.

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by blitz1: 3:31pm On Apr 08, 2016
So a private university student who have access to all possible facilities. Accèss to his lecturers. Air-conditioned classrooms. Attend all his classes read like tomorrow no dey and finally come out with a first class you call the person a half made product? Please before you speak think and fyi the person that scored highest in law school last year was a babcock university law graduate who came out with a second class upper. I rest my case.

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 3:31pm On Apr 08, 2016
Draxler:

You said no international ranking can put a private university ahead of a public university. Isn't that what you said? And i just told you about one that does. Stop forming like you are the only one that knows your stuff. We all know what webometrics means. Its respected whether it's for websites or not.

Oga, webometrics ranks websites, not schools. We're talking about schools themselves, not their websites.

Thank you very much.

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Leebeedo(m): 3:34pm On Apr 08, 2016
Joavid:
how about I know a true confirmed story of FUTA deliberately frustrating their final year students (by all means possible) who have the potential to graduate with a first class all because FUTA believes there is a limited number of first class students they should graduate every year .... imagine that!

a private university can't do that.

We'll that's FUTA'S biz. That doesn't mean a student that deserves a first class degree somewhere else shouldn't be awarded.

Ma y students in public schools too don't deserve deserve the degree they bag as well cos the level of bribery and sex scandal is outrageous.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 3:36pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

Okay, 10GB per month is large but you can wake me up when it gets larger than unlimited.

This scholarship scheme you're talking about, I'd never heard about it until now so you can bet that if a sizeable number of federal school students hear about, they'll be sure to displace your folks from the beneficiaries.

No sir, we don't recycle our waste for the purposes energy renewal; do you have a genetically engineered animal? Any animal?

Do you even have a zoo?

No? I guessed as much.

Like I said, webometrics is shit. No one gives a flying _fuck about webometrics except the Covenant university folks who are understandably gleeful about besting a reputable institution like Unilorin in any field; even if it's in one as inconsequential as webometrics.
Schools abroad respect the ranking whether you do or not. OAU was number one a while back and they took it as good news too so i dunno what youre saying. Its not inconsequential as you claim. It used to be unlimited too sir, there were several reasons why it had to be cut to 10GB per month. Have any of your students invented a car? Wake me up when you do. And the scholarship scheme was for both private and public peeps. Your public university friends with first class results probably know about it. Renewable energy is still a dream for most Nigerian universities sir. Just give these guys the credit they deserve. The fact remains that they have improved much more than other universities in the country especially when you look at where they were five years ago and where they are now.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 3:38pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

Oga, webometrics ranks websites, not schools. We're talking about schools themselves, not their websites.

Thank you very much.
They rank websites based on certain criteria influenced by the quality of the school. They do not just rank the websites for their beauty. That's all we are saying
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 3:39pm On Apr 08, 2016
Nusaf:

Where do u think private universities source their lecturers from? Most of these graduates of private universities were withdrawn from public universities due to poor academic performances. They simply could not cope with the academic demands of public schools. A true first class graduate is one who was able to pass through all challenges in a public university and still emerge with that grade. Remember, degree is awarded both in character and learning. As such you must be able face all challenges, including the unruly behaviours of your lecturers.

Bro, what is happening in government universities isn't the way it supposed to be. Many lecturers do what they like in govt universities because, there are no checks and balances. A lecturer in govt university would tell you he can do anything he likes nobody can stop him because he was employed by FG whereas, in private universities they work hard for what they earn because, they can't intimidate students and they have everything to disseminate information.

Many of my lecturers do lecture in private universities. They tell us the differences between them.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Truefederalism(m): 3:39pm On Apr 08, 2016
I guess the foolish, envious and dumb writer of the article under discussion was dead or blind when this happened
https://www.nairaland.com/1175860/116-unn-students-bag-first

inconsequential articleDumb fu<ks insulting private universities!

I got my BSc from a Nigerian private university and I'm currently studying for an MSc in a federal university, also in Nigeria.

My people, these government schools are very substandard and wack, in all honesty.

Are we talking about attitude to lectures, reseach, assignments, and exams?

Is it the facilities?

Is it their outdated lecturers who come to class whenever they feel like, often towards the end of the semester?

N/B. You cant try this in my undergraduate school)

Some students here wanted to argue on this same topic sometime in the past and got disgraced. I can tell you with all deserved pride that I'm better than 90% of these guys in intellectual terms.

The best graduating postgraduate students here and in some federal schools I know around here who offer my course are mostly from my undergaduate school.

We beat them every year, back to back, and we gon continue.

Keep hating, ya'll

Dont go and protest against the poor training you've recieved and are recieving.

Again! Only ignorant dumb fu<ks spew trash against and about private universities.

I've worked with my BSc certificate and I can tell you that I was paid higher than f<cks from these dead government schools. Forget talk!

Get a life and thank me later.

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by myrax7(m): 3:41pm On Apr 08, 2016
Nusaf:

Then Madonna University may be good in all courses but English.

Nusaf:

Then Madonna University may be good in all courses but English.

bros no becos say mama efe for yur street no sabi cook palm kernel soup u go come conclude say women from agbor no sabi cook the soup..

Shikena

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by KingRex1(m): 3:42pm On Apr 08, 2016
Few yrs ago my friend told me he pays 700k as school fees in CU nd i told him i pay just 25k as fees in a federal uni. He laffs at me.

I tell him hes paying the price of nt scoring high grades in jamb nd ssce, he vexes nd starts cussing.

Did i say anything wrong??

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Nusaf: 3:43pm On Apr 08, 2016
Draxler:

Its a proper noun when used to describe someone from England.
Pls, a word that describe something or someone is called an adjective not proper noun. Even when used in that sense, it is still spelt with initial capital. For instance 'he is an English' 'not he is an english'. Meanwhile, u used the word in the sense of a language and the names of languages are proper nouns
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by ibnabdullahi: 3:44pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

No, dear, first class pass first class. If you doubt, leave your private uni and comman sample Unilorin.

You go believe.
Bro. let am kn, proudly BETTER BY FAR....
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by ibnabdullahi: 3:45pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

No, dear, first class pass first class. If you doubt, leave your private uni and comman sample Unilorin.

You go believe.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 3:46pm On Apr 08, 2016
Draxler:

Schools abroad respect the ranking whether you do or not. OAU was number one a while back and they took it as good news too so i dunno what youre saying. Its not inconsequential as you claim. Its used to be unlimited too sir, there were several reasons why it had to be cut to 10GB per month. Have any of your students invented a car? Wake me up when you do. And the scholarship scheme was for both private and public peeps. Your public university friends with first class results probably know about it

I'll respond to your claims on webometrics in your other "mention".

No, no Unilorin student, to the best of my knowledge, has invented a car. The only person that "invented" a car was Henry Ford. One can only invent something once and that person becomes the pioneer.

Btw, a student of BUK(Bayero University, Kano) designed and constructed a helicopter several years ago. You can wake me up when covenant university comes close.

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by McSterling(m): 3:47pm On Apr 08, 2016
multikolour:

http://www.punchng.com/proliferation-of-first-class-degrees-in-private-varsities/

Geniuses are borne not made. Ayodele Daniel Dada (the
student who broke record in the University of Lagos by
scoring 5.0 Cumulative Grade Point Average CGPA) did not
wake up one morning to score those straight As. We are
told that his UTME score was so high that his result was
withheld. Consequently, he had to go through diploma
course. Which of these so-called First Class students from
our private universities scored equivalent of straight As in
their secondary school exams, and which of them scored
anything close to 280 in their UTME? I doubt the honest
ability of our private universities to transmogrify ordinary
students with ordinary SSCE and banal UTME results into
overnight intellectual superstars.

Well, first class graduates aren't necessarily geniuses, and I don't see a lot of them laying claim to the genius status just by virtue of the grade they graduated with. So, people should change their mindsets about first class peeps being geniuses.

@ the bolded, people do change. They do improve academically. Some first class graduates didn't do too well at high school level. Some were even average or poor students, but at a stage, they took conscious decisions and made efforts to improve. The fact that they only improved later doesn't mean they do not merit the results they graduated with.

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 3:48pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

Let's imagine that the story's true, how does that story make private universities better or even attain peership with their federal counterparts? Did your cousin tell a private uni lecturer that same thing and was met with a warm and positive response?

Lesson: Just because your school your school doesn't have doesn't mean most federal schools don't and it certainly doesn't mean a private uni does.
If he attends a private university, he is going to ask his lecturer the same question.
Most of our lecturers don't know how to relate with students at all. Throughout my program at the university of Lagos. Only two lecturers were closer to us. You ask them question, they answer you. If they don't know it they will tell you they will give you a feedback the next class.
One of them left my department for ExxonMobil, she told us, the way things are done and the content of our syllabus is below the syllabi in Europe and US.
Am telling you the fact we need serious reform in our higher institutions.
When Prof Soyinka, told Nigerians that all higher institutions should be shutdown for 2years and be reformed, many Nigerians castigated him. Meanwhile, he just told us the truth without mincing words.

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 3:50pm On Apr 08, 2016
Nusaf:

Pls, a word that describe something or someone is called an adjective not proper noun. Even when used in that sense, it is still spelt with initial capital. For instance 'he is an English' 'not he is an english'. Meanwhile, u used the word in the sense of a language and the names of languages are proper nouns
Its he is English not 'he is an English' . Well we all learn everyday and I'm glad you taught me this.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by masqot(m): 3:50pm On Apr 08, 2016
Graduating with distinction isn't easy in public schools (highly frustrating system except you haven't gone through it). I know someone who wad denied because he's physically challenged but he was compensated with non-academic employment. The other was denied because he wasn't very fluent.in English. All in govt schools.
To be candid however, Nigerians are brilliant. I still believe when you see a first class graduate he doesn't need to blow his trumpet. He should be different ( a genius sort of)
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 3:50pm On Apr 08, 2016
Draxler:

They rank websites based on certain criteria influenced by the quality of the school. They do not just rank the websites for their beauty. That's all we are saying

Arrgh! Webometrics do their rankings based on the websites and websites alone!!

Please, do research on what webometrics is about you're mixing things up.

Btw, this webometrics you keep harping on, is a private school ranked highest in their list?

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 3:52pm On Apr 08, 2016
ibnabdullahi:
Bro. let am kn, proudly BETTER BY FAR....

Correct guy.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Truefederalism(m): 3:54pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

No, no Unilorin student, to the best of my knowledge, has invented a car. The only person that "invented" a car was Henry Ford. One can only invent something once and that person becomes the pioneer.

Btw, a student of BUK(Bayero University, Kano) designed and constructed a helicopter several years ago. You can wake me up when covenant university comes close.

"The fight amongst African countries is only a fight amongst dwarfs, each arguing that he is the tallest".

The above refers to you and your likes. Wake me when you "design and construct" something in complete originality. Mtcheeew!!

How can one avoid your type of mediocrity sef?
Check my previous post on this thread and get informed.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 3:55pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

Yes you are right. Only Henry Ford actually invented a car. I meant constructed a car then. I thought we were talking about CU and Unilorin not Bayero university. Anyway my point has been made. Its a quality school comparable to anything in the country.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 3:55pm On Apr 08, 2016
Draxler:

Its he is English not 'he is an English' . Well we all learn everyday and I'm glad you taught me this.

"He is an English" is very correct too. It's like saying "He is a Nigerian" or "He is a ghanaian".

Hehe. Don't you just love federal schools students and graduates? gringrin
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by directonpc(m): 3:56pm On Apr 08, 2016
I am not a first class student but I think people can improve after their secondary school. And great students from secondary schools can become third class candidates too.

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 3:58pm On Apr 08, 2016
Draxler:

Yes you are right. Only Henry Ford actually invented a car. I meant constructed a car then. I thought we were talking about CU and Unilorin not Bayero university. Anyway my point has been made. Its a quality school comparable to anything in the country.

No, we were comparing Private and Public Unis.

Anyway, I grudgingly acquiesce that your school's not all that hopeless afterall.

But your school still don't measure up to the big-shots among the federal schools. gringrin

You try sha.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 3:59pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

Arrgh! Webometrics do their rankings based on the websites and websites alone!!

Please, do research on what webometrics is about you're mixing things up.

Btw, this webometrics you keep harping on, is a private school ranked highest in their list?
How can you just rank a website like that without any criteria for ranking? Okay what's the criteria for ranking the websites? Oh and CU was number one in the rankings last year for both Nigeria and West Africa.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 4:04pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

"He is an English" is very correct too. It's like saying "He is a Nigerian" or "He is a ghanaian".

Hehe. Don't you just love federal schools students and graduates? gringrin
I thought someone from England is called an Englishman? Did you study something relating to English and Literature? I don't think this is about public and private university graduates though. Some people from both sides don't know some of these things

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Absolutely Free Scholarships For Nigerians To Study Overseas (latest Discovery) / Four FUTA Students Die In Accident In Ondo / Adeyeye Olorunfemi, Rusticated Student Of UNILAG Blasts School Management (Video

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82