Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. (5058 Views)

'I Am Leaving Nigeria As A Hero'‚ Jacob Zuma Gushes After Massive Statue Of Him / Quit Notice : We Are Leaving, Some Igbos In Bauchi Vow / Dangote Will Solve Power Generation Problem In Nigeria Permanently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by Misterpaul(m): 6:02pm On Apr 10, 2016
I actually work at the Lagos airport (MMIA). And for some weeks now i have noticed that the number of foreigners (especially the Indians) departing the country has increased. The departure hall is always full to capacity and crowded.

Not only that the numbers has increased, they now travel with lot of baggages which weighs as much as 64kg for 2bags(32kg each). This indicates that they might not be coming back anytime soon.

The last time the departure hall was ever crowded like this was last year March, few days before the general election, when many foreigners and "big men" were leaving Nigeria with their families because of the anticipated electoral violence which never happened.

Even when i asked my elder Brother, who works with BA(British Airways). He said that he also noticed the mass exodus, most especially the Indians.
He even said some airlines have also increased their ticket cost by more than 50%...imagin first class ticket from Lagos to London is now abt 3million naira and economy ticket is as high as abt 800k. Most international Airlines, have stopped operating with their Airbuses in Nigeria, they now operate with smaller aircrafts to cut cost.

So, i wonder what could be chasing these foreigners out of Nigeria. Could it be the fuel scarcity wahala or maybe they have a very important festival they want to go and celebrate in there country.

I heard most duplexes and flats in Illupeju are now vacant, Anyone who knows Illupeju very well, will know that, that is the headquarters of Indians living in Nigeria..Estate agents can confirm that.

OAM4J , Mynd44 please i need people's view on this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by bettercreature(m): 6:04pm On Apr 10, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by ckmayoca: 6:07pm On Apr 10, 2016
They will come now and say the people leaving are the corrupt ones but the legit ain't leaving.

15 Likes

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by GudluckIBB(m): 6:08pm On Apr 10, 2016
Let them go

Indians and lebanese are more dubious and corruopt than Pdp members

We are better off without them

But Op there is a particular festival in india which they celebrate at this time of the year and it is a must they will all travel for the festival

11 Likes

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by chukwukadibia10: 6:09pm On Apr 10, 2016
Why wouldn't they leave when a dullard is the ruler.

Buhari is a Dunderhead

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by rusher14: 6:12pm On Apr 10, 2016
Misterpaul:
I actually work at the Lagos airport (MMIA). And for some weeks now i have noticed that the number of foreigners (especially the Indians) departing the country has increased. The departure hall is always full to capacity and crowded.

Not only that the numbers has increased, they now travel with lot of baggages which weighs as much as 64kg for 2bags(32kg each). This indicates that they might not be coming back anytime soon.

The last time the departure hall was ever crowded like this was last year March, few days before the general election, when many foreigners and "big men" were leaving Nigeria with their families because of the anticipated electoral violence which never happened.

Even when i asked my elder Brother, who works with BA(British Airways). He said that he also noticed the mass exodus, most especially the Indians.
He even said some airlines have also increased their ticket cost by more than 50%...imagin first class ticket from Lagos to London is now abt 3million naira and economy ticket is as high as 800k. Most international Airlines, have stopped operating with their Airbuses in Nigeria, they now operate with smaller aircrafts to cut cost.

So, i wonder what could be chasing these foreigners out of Nigeria. Could it be the fuel scarcity wahala or maybe they have a very important festival they want to go and celebrate in there country.

I heard most duplexes and flats in Illupeju are now vacant, Anyone who knows Illupeju very well, will know that, that is the headquarters of Indians living in Nigeria..Estate agents can confirm that.

OAM4J , Mynd44 please i need people's view on this.

Those 800k flights are to what countries?

As a frequent flyer I haven't noticed this surge in passengers at the airport, neither have I witnessed a significant hike in flight relative to the dollar price

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by millhouse: 6:12pm On Apr 10, 2016
ckmayoca:
They will come now and say the people leaving are the corrupt ones but the legit ain't leaving.

terrible

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by pendusky(m): 6:23pm On Apr 10, 2016
rusher14:

As a frequent flyer I haven't noticed this surge in passengers at the airport, neither have I witnessed a significant hike in flight relative to the dollar price

Frequent flyer to where? Lagos >Daura

Op is not talking about Local wing of MMA but International wing...

OP with the oyibo calculations (Like the one they do calculate when Eclipse or volcano will occur) they knew the economy will affect them badly in due course so it better they go find work in their homes rather than staying here and get lost!

If only Buhari can resign honourably, we would celebrate him, this economic crisis and hardship is making GEJ a Hero!

I pray we continue to endure pending 2019 when we will vote in another 4 yrs of hardship!

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by Misterpaul(m): 6:39pm On Apr 10, 2016
GudluckIBB:
Let them go

Indians and lebanese are more dubious and corruopt than Pdp members

We are better off without them

But Op there is a particular festival in india which they celebrate at this time of the year and it is a must they will all travel for the festival
I hope u knw that most industries in Nigeria are owned and run by these indians and Lebanese. If they all leave, won't that further damage our already damaged economy?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by Terry68: 6:42pm On Apr 10, 2016
Maybe they want to emulate our president.

4 Likes

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by Ahmeduana(m): 6:54pm On Apr 10, 2016
ckmayoca:

MR MAN SHINE YOUR EYES, THIS IS REAL BAD OMEN WHEN STRANGERS ARE LIVING A TOWN, A CITY OR A COUNTRY.

7 Likes

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by youngeagle(m): 6:56pm On Apr 10, 2016
Governance is not a child's play,PMB and APC should swallow there pride and seek help from PDP and GEJ,there pattern of governance is sinking this God forsaken country.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by Ahmeduana(m): 6:57pm On Apr 10, 2016
Misterpaul:

I hope u knw that most industries in Nigeria are owned and run by these indians and Lebanese. If they all leave, won't that further damage our already damaged economy?
LEAVE THE MUMU MAKE HE DEY DISPLAY HIM STUPIDITY.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by rusher14: 6:59pm On Apr 10, 2016
pendusky:

Frequent flyer to where? Lagos >Daura

Op is not talking about Local wing of MMA but International wing...

OP with the oyibo calculations (Like the one they do calculate when Eclipse or volcano will occur) they knew the economy will affect them badly in due course so it better they go find work in their homes rather than staying here and get lost!

If only Buhari can resign honourably, we would celebrate him, this economic crisis and hardship is making GEJ a Hero!

I pray we continue to endure pending 2019 when we will vote in another 4 yrs of hardship!

Being online affords one some anonymity such that even the unemployed may assume level status with others. It is a leveler and I like it this way.

I know for sure that a ticket to London Heathrow via Paris bought on Monday for a Thursday departure cost less than 350K.

Note 1 dollar = 320 Naira parallel market rate.

So this fare is largely consistent with prices of previous years.

So again I ask, what routes cost as much as 800k for economy class.

12 Likes

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by ifex370(m): 6:59pm On Apr 10, 2016
Hmmmm Na wao
Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by kettykings: 7:03pm On Apr 10, 2016
Let them leave if they want to leave no body should distract buhari regime.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by ckmayoca: 7:07pm On Apr 10, 2016
Ahmeduana:

MR MAN SHINE YOUR EYES, THIS IS REAL BAD OMEN WHEN STRANGERS ARE LIVING A TOWN, A CITY OR A COUNTRY.

Is that what I should worry about? E concern me? If u r worried u may shine ur own eyes.

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by yemar: 7:10pm On Apr 10, 2016
rusher14:

Being online affords one some anonymity such that even the unemployed may assume level status with others. It is a leveler and I like it this way.

I know for sure that a ticket to London Heathrow via Paris bought on Monday for a Thursday departure cost less than 350K.

actually I am a confirmed wailler but you are correct on this. Tickets to UK is still below 300k for most economy class but with some restrictions.

7 Likes

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by rusher14: 7:15pm On Apr 10, 2016
yemar:

actually I am a confirmed wailler but you are correct on this. Tickets to UK is still below 300k but with some restrictions.

Thanks for the vindication.

Nigeria is hard, nobody is in doubt of that.

However, Nigerians with ulterior motives should not be encouraged to make it even more difficult than it is.

I was at the airport last week and it didn't appear any more busy than it often is.

The busiest I have ever seen it was the week leading to the presidential election last year.

Peddling little lies to cause anger and strife amongst the misinformed must be countered by those who know the truth.

11 Likes

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by Pidggin(f): 7:20pm On Apr 10, 2016
Even we Nigerians will take the slightest opportunity we get to leave this country talk less of a foreigner.
Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by Emancipation: 7:20pm On Apr 10, 2016
I have said this so many times. I am happy that most of Igbo land is dominated by local investors. Whether foreigners come or leave it doesn't make a dent.

How did governor obiano attract $4.1 billion investment within 2 years? He simply focused on attracting local/indeginous investors. Foreigners have no loyalty and will leave with their money the moment things get tough

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by Jirate(m): 7:22pm On Apr 10, 2016
kettykings:
Let them leave if they want to leave no body should distract buhari regime.

As if the bloody Regime in on a Good Course. Anyway, I trust Nigerians, they know when to Jettison this Evil Government.

2 Likes

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by Misterpaul(m): 7:25pm On Apr 10, 2016
Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by Misterpaul(m): 7:26pm On Apr 10, 2016
rusher14:

What!?..BA ticket Lagos-London less than 350k naira?
Sir, u definitly have no idea of what you ar talking abt. Im giving u first-hand information here. Even BA business class now is almost 2million.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by mbhs139(m): 7:31pm On Apr 10, 2016
ckmayoca:

Yes, it's the corrupt ones that are leaving, that I can tell you authoritatively.

There's white man who owns an engineering company that I know. The FIRS sticker for tax default currently hangs on the gate to the company's premises as I speak, he's owing in excess of N15m tax arrears.

What they actually do I the past is that they bribe the FIRS officials. But now that they have to pay through REMITA (an online platform used by govt revenue generating agencies) the bubble has burst.

So, rather than pay this sum, he's already auctioning his properties, in preparation to leave the country to his home country in Italy. After all, he's almost done with all the contracts at hand. This is first hand information I've given you. As a matter of fact, he's owing his staff three months salary.

So, what do you call that.

2 Likes

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by kettykings: 7:37pm On Apr 10, 2016
Jirate:

As if the bloody Regime in on a Good Course. Anyway, I trust Nigerians, they know when to Jettison this Evil Government.

The job that the Indians are doing can be done better by Nigerians, the major problem is identifying the Nigerians and putting them in the roles

2 Likes

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by rusher14: 7:39pm On Apr 10, 2016
Misterpaul:

What!?..BA ticket Lagos-London less than 350k naira?
Sir, u definitly have no idea of what you ar talking abt. Im giving u first-hand information here. Even BA business class now is almost 2million.

Please read my post again but this time slowly.

In case you you really aren't up to it realise I mentioned London Heathrow via Paris which more or less forecloses BA.

Avoid being in a haste to debunk a statement without being thorough.

I know many are looking for ways to bad mouth government but that's not going to happen when some of us have facts.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by Nobody: 7:41pm On Apr 10, 2016
rusher14:

Lagos to london @ 800k for economy. Smh

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by Nobody: 7:42pm On Apr 10, 2016
Easter break...you are contradicting yourself, you claim small aircrafts are now used and airlines have stopped using bigger planes. If you are a business man, what kind of aircraft would you use with huge traffic undecided

By the way, which part of the airport do you work? Arrival or departure?

3 Likes

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by Nobody: 7:45pm On Apr 10, 2016
rusher14:

Lagos to london @ 800k for economy. Smh

Every clown now opens threads about one thing or the other, from stoning the VP in kano to praising diezani and wishing the president dead.

Cant blame em, nairaland's front page loves gossip

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by Misterpaul(m): 7:48pm On Apr 10, 2016
rusher14:

Please read my post again but this time slowly.

In case you you really aren't up to it realise I mentioned London Heathrow via Paris which more or less forecloses BA.

Avoid being in a haste to debunk a statement without being thorough.

I know many are looking for ways to bad mouth government but that's not going to happen when some of us have facts.
Ok.

But this post is not about bad-mouthing govt. Im not even interested in politics, i don't care about the apcs and pdps..i only stated my observations, cos i was wondering what could be making them leave the country. I was hoping to get an explanation from some political or perhaps economic gurus here.8

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. by Nobody: 7:51pm On Apr 10, 2016
rusher14:

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Governors Condemn Killing Of Nigerians In South Africa / It Is Only Christians That Provoke Muslims In This World / Plateau 2022: PDP's Caleb Mutfwang Accused Of Owing LG Workers For 10-Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.