Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,193 members, 7,839,061 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? (6094 Views)

Little Girl Tells Nuhu Gidado She Will Be A Deputy Gov Too / Ribadu - Nigeria Buys Black Market Weapons To Fight Boko Haram / Ribadu - Nigeria’s Sinking Ship And The Way Forward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by MT: 10:42am On Aug 07, 2009
Nigerians will never cease to amaze me. Some people claimed that Ribadu simply did Obasanjo's bidding. They claimed he hunted Obasanjo's foes instead of Obasanjo and his friends who had looted the treasury.

However, they have failed to answer this simple question: "Were those people arrested really committed the alleged fraud or were they framed?"

If they actually committed the fraud, then that means he deserves our accolade, if not he deserves a knock.

For me, I think he deserves to be praised for contributing his own quota. What would you say about Yarad'ua ?
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by ubine(m): 11:06am On Aug 07, 2009
MY people even the best Man on earth who was found with no crime was crucified
Not to talk of Nuhu Ribadu who started from somewhere in fighting corruption.
Humans are just like this, some never appreciate or talk good about others.
Ribadu took us to a good stage and we need to go better.
If you dont encourage him then you must be frustrating him because YOU cannt help this country in that way
If you can then don better than Ribadu lest say you are better.

I think he will make a good president if we give him a chance or decide to use him as a tool just the way ''Obasonjo did'' (as some people say).

@Cre8itivity
am glad your posts are positive here about RIBADU i guess now understand.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by switch47(m): 11:08am On Aug 07, 2009
RIBADU !! NIGERIA's NEXT OBAMA

Which one(Obama) have we ever had?? embarassed
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by MUZBO(m): 11:24am On Aug 07, 2009
chidichris:

he is the type of pretender nigeria needs because we have decided to go backward instead of forward.
Name 3 politicians that do not pretend and I'll show you a polar bear in the Arabian desert.
chidichris:

this kind of man that allowed the likes of bode george, borrishade, andy uba, tony annenih and other national criminals to flourish while making noise about state governors who were against his boss.
I'm sick and tired of guys like you who identify problems without proffering solutions. Ok Ribadu wasn't good but what is figure-head Mrs Wa[b]zero[/b] achieving?
chidichris:

can any of u pro-ribadu group say it out that corruption during the obj administration was on the low compared to before his administration.
CORRUPTION DURING THE OBJ ADMINISTRATION WAS ON THE LOW COMPARED TO BEFORE HIS ADMINISTRATION. There!! I said it loud so SUE ME but please use Mrs Wazero's EFCC. I'll be free in a week.
chidichris:

nigerian leaders are doomed and are dark minded persons hence another ribadu madness to help us achieve our backward madness.
Would you please leave your suite @ the Burg Al-arab and come and contest for president!
chidichris:

let one of you tell us that security, roads, power supply, educational system, electorial system under ribadu was a good news because of his efforts.
I will tell you once you can confirm he was the minister of these sectors you mentioned.
His juridiction is catching corrupt people not buying transformers!!!
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by MUZBO(m): 11:24am On Aug 07, 2009
Please whoever has a good person we can support for president let us know now. I don't give a rat's as$ about Ribadu but I'll settle for a lesser evil anytime.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by akigbemaru: 11:35am On Aug 07, 2009
@ Dede1 OR dulldee1 then you are the same Grafikon.

Why is it that you don't expect good things from Yoruba or Hausa? Only thing that Biafrans do that is the best to you fool.
I will vote for Ribadu anytime and any day as compared to Soludo who is so greedy as you know already. We can never trust folks like him with our money.
Just remember that you recently showered encomiums on IG Onovo, I wish him well but let wait and see how he will perform.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by chidichris(m): 12:36pm On Aug 07, 2009
Nigerians will never cease to amaze me. Some people claimed that Ribadu simply did Obasanjo's bidding. They claimed he hunted Obasanjo's foes instead of Obasanjo and his friends who had looted the treasury.

However, they have failed to answer this simple question: "Were those people arrested really committed the alleged fraud or were they framed?"

If they actually committed the fraud, then that means he deserves our accolade, if not he deserves a knock.

@MT,
what do u say to a police man who arrest two criminals, execute one and release one because his father is rich? if u are a christain, Jesus Christ thought a lesson on the woman caught for adultary and was about to be stoned to death. on his arrieval, he said to the crowd, whosoever has not committed this kind of crime, let him be the first to cast his stone - they all left.
tell me why in God's name is the former imo state gov is a minister today while the former abia state gov is not.
look at this, the former imo state gov was the first to endorse third term agenda while abia state gov then was kicking against it. among the two, who is the enemy of the masses here? the supporter or the one kicking against third term? find out from anywhere in the world, the worst thing that can happen to a system is selective justice.
alams was arrested and persecuted for money laundary and we all applauded ribadu but what happened when andy uba was persecuted in the usa for the same crime? ribadu told nigerians that it was a civil matter. can you tell us what is civil in using the presidential jet to take funds to the usa? in all, in what areas of our lives as nigerians did the so called war against corruption affect us?
have u ever asked urself what happened to the much hyped atiku case after the election? have u ever asked urself who and who are the beneficiaries of all the federal contracts awarded by that administration that were paid for and were not executed as it concerned our roads, powerr supply, security etc? who are in involved and what did ribadu tell us about those issues? do u think that nigerian problems are more in the state than at federal levels? if u believe they are more of states, how many state govs were persecuted by ribadu in his 7 yrs madness? if the problems are more at federal levels, how many of the federal politicians or office holders were persecuted?
can u in God's name tell us why among all our past presidents, abacha was the only one probed? do u use mirrow to look at a wriste watch?
my position on this issue does not matter but am here to inform u that ribadu and el rufai played their role in the movie as directed by the script writer.
where is okonjo iweala and why did she quit so soon? do u change a winning team? we all know the story.
if nigerians are not mad, how will a war on corruption in nigeria be real without an invitation to the man whose second name is corruption(ibb)?

I'm sick and tired of guys like you who identify problems without proffering solutions. Ok Ribadu wasn't good but what is figure-head Mrs Wazero achieving?

@muzbo,
nigerian constitution says and i quote"an accused is innocent until proven guilty" and such is the situation in efcc under waziri as such fat criminals like bode george, borrishade, fani kayode who ribadu treat as saints have all been arrested and arraigned by the commission hence the court can now prove their cases.
alams was a criminal, yes we all agreed but he was made guilty before his arrest. the efcc was at the house on the day of his impeachment waiting to arrest him. ribadu on our national televissions on several occassions called orji uzor kalu a criminal even without arrest, was that a policeman, was that a law enforcement agent? an armed robber caught at a gun point remains innocent till a court of law proves a case.
are we saying the above mentioned three(3) fat criminals are innocent?
how many ppl did ur ribadu arrest because of federal contracts awarded by obj? nigerians know till date that funds were raised for our roads, security and power supply to mention but a few yet we do not know who are keeping these funds while the contracts were overlooked.
pls have u had a look at contracts awarded by obj's administration? if yes, what do u think?
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by jaho: 12:45pm On Aug 07, 2009
At a time like this when Nigeria seems to be at a crossroad without any slightest hope that he government of the day can deliver its promises (considering the directionlessness of the Yaradua administration), he mention of names like Mallam Nuhu Ribadu evoke confidence in us that at least their are still some Nigerians whose image can dampen the negative effect of the present government's activities on the global scene.

Mallam Nuhu Ribadu will win an election in Nigerian any day provided the election are allowed to go free and fair.

He is a man of action who can instill the much expected change in Nigeria polity.

I hope to see him serve in another capacity, notwithstanding his current travails.

www.internetbusinessdon..com
www.natureherbalcure..com
www.adogbejijaho..com
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by wirinet(m): 2:04pm On Aug 07, 2009
I think Nigerians love sensationalism. Since we love noise makers, our role models turn out to be noise makers, the more noise you make the more popular you become.

Ribadu was the chief noise maker, he was fighting and winning the war on corruption on the pages of newspaper, on talk shows and on CNN (remember the anti corruption CZAR).

Can any Ribadu apologist, one case Ribadu successfully prosecuted and what was the outcome of the case apart form removing the person from office.
I am surprised southerners are the loudest supporters of Ribadu, because Ribadu was systematically disempowering the south. It is also surprising that people do not know that corruption is a major tool to acquiring power and influence in Nigeria. That is why the most corrupt people are the power brokers, they determine who gets what in Nigeria, they control the FG, the army, the police, and other organs of state. And these class of people are mainly from the North and from the west, with a sprinkling of people from the east and very few from the south south. With the money politics of Nigeria how does one aspire to any posts without corrupt money? do you think any sane legitimate business would gamble his hard earned money on any aspect of Nigerian politics? Were you spend up to N50 billion just to become a senator. That was why the Corrupt Northerners always dictated who becomes governor in the south south. Who was Ibori before 1999?.

So it was very unfair for Ribadu to go after mainly southern governors, while living their Northern counterpart to go free with their wealth. i would have been happier if he employed some level of federal character in fighting looters, then one section of the country would not be put at an unfair advantage.

Imagine if Ibori had not the financial muscle (from corruption of course), how would he have installed his cousin as governor and most political office holders in Delta. I am sure a Northerner would have been responsible for installing the governor as was with the case of Ibori.

Secondly, ribadu prosecuted his corruption war base of which side of third term you belong, i cant remember and pro third term political that Ribadu looked at.

The argument being put forward by Ribadu's fan that" who among the people ribadu arrested are innocent" is unfortunate. Ribadu arrested hundreds of innocent Nigerian citizens, chief among them was Mike Adenuga,Buba Marwa, Mohammed Babangida( no charges were brought against him and was immediately released his father dropped his political ambitions), Otumba fasewe( who was locked up for 6 months without charges), so many members of so many state house of assemblies ( who were blackmailed to do as Ribadu wished and were later released without any charges), the list is endless.

Finally, what is Ribadu's antecedents to make him eligible for president? What is is record before he was appointed as EFCC chairman?, What were his role under previous governments, like Abacha. Was he immuned from the cesspool that is Nigerian Police?. Does he have the experience to govern even a local government in a democratic setting? Please Ribadu fans answer these questions.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by nethacker(m): 3:04pm On Aug 07, 2009
hmmmmmm, embarassed i am speechless
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by Bialegend(m): 3:10pm On Aug 07, 2009
Is this joke or what? Only in the country of idiots.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by oshkosh(m): 3:12pm On Aug 07, 2009
because Ribadu was systematically disempowering the south

Story!! Be applying your 'balancing act' logic while Nigeria rots!
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by Fhemmmy: 3:12pm On Aug 07, 2009
wirinet:

I think Nigerians love sensationalism. Since we love noise makers, our role models turn out to be noise makers, the more noise you make the more popular you become.

Ribadu was the chief noise maker, he was fighting and winning the war on corruption on the pages of newspaper, on talk shows and on CNN (remember the anti corruption CZAR).

Can any Ribadu apologist, one case Ribadu successfully prosecuted and what was the outcome of the case apart form removing the person from office.
I am surprised  southerners are the loudest supporters of Ribadu, because Ribadu was systematically disempowering the south. It is also surprising that people do not know that corruption is a major tool to acquiring power and influence in Nigeria. That is why the most corrupt people are the power brokers, they determine who gets what in Nigeria, they control the FG, the army, the police, and other organs of state. And these class of people are mainly from the North and from the west, with a sprinkling of people from the east and very few from the south south.  With the money politics of Nigeria how does one aspire to any posts without corrupt money? do you think any sane legitimate business would gamble his hard earned money on any aspect of Nigerian politics? Were you spend up to N50 billion just to become a senator. That was why the Corrupt  Northerners always dictated who becomes governor in the south south. Who was Ibori before 1999?.

So it was very unfair for Ribadu to go after mainly southern governors, while living their Northern counterpart to go free with their wealth. i would have been happier if he employed some level of federal character in fighting looters, then one section of the country would not be put at an unfair advantage.

Imagine if Ibori had not the financial muscle (from corruption of course), how would he have installed his cousin as governor and most political office holders in Delta. I am sure a Northerner would have been responsible for installing the governor as was with the case of Ibori.

Secondly, ribadu prosecuted his corruption war base of which side of third term you belong, i cant remember and pro third term political that Ribadu looked at.

The argument being put forward by Ribadu's fan that" who among the people ribadu arrested are innocent" is unfortunate. Ribadu arrested hundreds of innocent Nigerian citizens, chief among them was Mike Adenuga,Buba Marwa, Mohammed Babangida( no charges were brought against him and was immediately released his father dropped his political ambitions), Otumba fasewe( who was locked up for 6 months without charges), so many members of so many state house of assemblies ( who were blackmailed to do as Ribadu wished and were later released without any charges), the list is endless.

Finally, what is Ribadu's antecedents to make him eligible for president? What is is record before he was appointed as EFCC chairman?, What were his role under previous governments, like Abacha. Was he immuned from the cesspool that is Nigerian Police?. Does he have the experience to govern even a local government in a democratic setting?  Please Ribadu fans answer these questions.

You are a man with wisdom, and this is why i have said, i am sure he will be used to do more damage than good
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Aug 07, 2009
@poster
u're delusional
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by Purist(m): 8:25pm On Aug 07, 2009
Next Obama?? That metaphor is unreasonable if you ask me.

Is Obama the messiah of America, that we now similize him with our own anticipated, supposed saviour?

What exactly is exceptional about Obama AS A PUBLIC SERVANT apart from being the first (half?) black American president?
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by Nonnyl(m): 11:58pm On Aug 07, 2009
Halo fellow nairalanders! Things dey shelee 4 this house. Well, Nuhu R. or no Nuhu R. new president must emerge come 2011. But lets give Nuhu the benefit of it 4 getting much voters without campign yet. Thumbs up 4 RIBADU (The fulani guy.)
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by sjeezy8: 1:42am On Aug 08, 2009
RIBADU was good but not good for Nigeria.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by N101: 7:19am On Aug 08, 2009
I'm sure Ribadu would be an ideal candidate for President, until he gets the position.

Fashola, in my opinion, should remain where he is - Lagos is a long term project, well past 2011.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by larez(m): 9:21am On Aug 08, 2009
It's noteworthy to see people being consistent in their character. A certain type of folks appreciate Ribadu and others like him that are currently in Diaspora with heavy hearts about the future of Nigeria. However, in a country of despots and many criminals, would it be a surprise that we are seeing many here vehemently opposed to Ribadu?

Their issue is not that he did his job. They are focused on the criminals that he did not go after. Who else have we ever witnessed in the History of Nigeria who was even capable of sowing fear in the untouchables? The fact is that if we took a poll of most of the people with internet capabilities in Nigeria, majority will belong to this group of despots.

But no matter how loud you get, and no matter how erratic you act, everyone's day of reckoning will come. Ribadu served under a manipulative and oppressive President. He did the best anyone could expect from being in his position, and yet still made a huge difference. We the people of Nigeria, who strive to live righteously and stay away from corruption and despots, will overcome someday.

God Bless Mallam Ribadu and his Family, and most of all God, bless Nigeria and save us from hypocritical despotic, moraless and satanic lost souls who have mortgaged their souls to the devil.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by wirinet(m): 10:33am On Aug 08, 2009
@Larez,

I really appreciate your posts, especially in the properties section. I look forwards to reading your posts concerning Architecture, i had learnt a lot from them. Although I have reservations concerning your views of Nigerian Architects and Architecture. Well that is a digression.

Now to the topic at hand, I know you are a staunch supporter of Ribadu. I too was a fan of Ribadu in his early days but changed when his anti corruption war turn to anti-Political war. Do not misunderstand antagonists of Ribadu, we have as much interest in seeing Nigeria succeed as you protagonists.

I Have lived in Nigeria all my life, I experience all the frustrations caused by corrupt govt officials, so i believe i understand the depth of Nigerian problems more that those in diaspora, who rely on second hand information or press hype.

I still say Ribadu did not go after untouchables, because in Nigeria there are no untouchables and there had never been. It depends on who an administration want to brand untouchable, one untouchable in one government is a touchable in another government and vice-versa, it depends on the Government in power. The person that even touched most untouchable in Nigeria was Abacha, he touched the Head of the Kaduna Mafia, the Langtan Mafia, the Caliphate Mafia, Abacha even touched the Otta Mafia, and almost the Minna Mafia before he was eliminated. Another person that touched some untouchables was Buhari/Idiagbon.

OBJ and Ribadu did not touch any untouchable, all these politicians that are now being branded untouchable were no where. I still ask for any major prosecution by OBJ/Ribadu, in the most celebrated case of Tafa and Alams. Both of them did not spend one day in Prison, they were in detention for Six months and they were handed six months jail term, whereby the days in detention was counted as the six months jail term. Even at that alams spent most of his time in "foreign hospitals". Meanwhile many people were put into detention/Jail for more than six months by Ribadu without being charged to court. Ribadu was only a Lap dog of OBJ. Sometimes OBJ threatens political opponents by saying " I will instruct Ribadu to arrest you". Also it is OBJ that will instruct Ribadu to remove names from Ribadu's list. eg The present president.

If is only a Ribadu, that will Arrest a Tafa, and no other Police officer with him. So it was only Tafa that entered the Police vault and stole all the monies over the years, without the knowledge of the accountants and the finance department,not to mention other AIG's. Same with Alams, the Accountant General of the state, the commissioner of finance, the Deputy governor and the house of Assembly were oblivious Alams thefts.
Look Ribadu/OBJ were only interested in removing once person, once that had been achieved, the person is let off the hook lightly.

Having said that i think the present government his going overboard in their attempt to humiliate and punish Ribadu for OBJ's sins.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by chidichris(m): 12:02pm On Aug 08, 2009
@larez,
Their issue is not that he did his job. They are focused on the criminals that he did not go after. Who else have we ever witnessed in the History of Nigeria who was even capable of sowing fear in the untouchables? The fact is that if we took a poll of most of the people with internet capabilities in Nigeria, majority will belong to this group of despots.

i guess u are not well informed about who the untouchables were under obj. look at such names as; tony annenih, bode george, borrishade, fani kayode, chris/andy uba, late adedibu, morris iwu. these were some of the men who could do anything as long as nigeria was concerned and went home with blessings of the federal govt. if u want further explainations on these men, read about tony annenih and the federal contract awarded to him by fg for the reconstruction of ibadan-benin expressway. find about the thugry of adedibu and chris uba that warranted an ordinary citizen unseating an elected gov and still had the blessings of obj who even went as far as honouring such effort with the chairman bot in anambra state and telling oyo people to tolerate adedibu for he was too old to be changed - perfet madness. did u hear the story of six inec machines found in adediu's house? do u know of the established case of embezzlement in the nigerian ports authorities that involved bode george?

But no matter how loud you get, and no matter how erratic you act, everyone's day of reckoning will come. Ribadu served under a manipulative and oppressive President. He did the best anyone could expect from being in his position, and yet still made a huge difference. We the people of Nigeria, who strive to live righteously and stay away from corruption and despots, will overcome someday.

have u stopped for once to ask yourself, what qualified ribadu for the post he occupied? was it by force that he would be where he was? if you say obj was manipulative and oppressive, are u by any means saying the mind of ribadu or on the contrary? the truth here is that ribadu was guided on what he was selected for and as an intelligent and obedient servant, he did his work very well to the glory of the one who sent him.

God Bless Mallam Ribadu and his Family, and most of all God, bless Nigeria and save us from hypocritical despotic, moraless and satanic lost souls who have mortgaged their souls to the devil.

ur prayer is full of controversies. okonjo iweala left the scene simply because she was not ready to mortgage her soul. ribadu and el rufai mortgage their souls to the man who directly mortgaged his own soul to the devil.
have u heard ribadu and el rufai regret their roles in the drama that brought yar adua on board? what institution did ribadu leave in place at efcc? till date, efcc has not structure and record. can't u understand the commission has its root on election and bringing down of oposition.after the election, ribadu became weak and useless, lost all ideologies as he had no resources to live on as aso rock no longer habour the autocratic idiot that was remote controlling him.

what happened to ribadu's long lists of govs among whom is chief achike udenwa the former imo state gov and the present minister of commerce and industries? what happened to the quickest gazzetted case of atiku who was confirmed crminal by ribadu?

on the other hand, alams was corrupt and his removal ushered in goodluck jonathan but what changes did goodluck bring to the people of bayelsa? what over all changes did the war on corruption under obj bring to nigeria and nigerians? take a look at the closest politician u know under obj and tell us he did not make money as usual.

the man who represented my town at the state house has the best residential building in my whole town and all his wealth came within the eigth (cool years of this over hyped war on corruption.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by Becomrich: 3:37pm On Aug 08, 2009
Nuru Ribadu lack what it takes to be president. Arresting 90% southerner while 70% of the people that commit govt fraud are northerner. Shows you the level of hate in his heart. The mouth can say anything but it is what the action of a man is, that tell you who the man is.

Another reason while Nuru ribadu can not be president is, He lack vision, arresting people is not one of the reason to been president. I would be a better president than Nuru Ribadu. My reason for saying so, is because you know what I stand for. What does Nuru Ribadu stand for? Nothing. Is it arresting people that qualify a person for president. No. it is not.

Crime in Nigeria society is based on the ability of Nigeria leaders to solve the problem and if I am correct. Nuru Ribadu look the other way while Northerner were stealing from the national cake. He arrested 90% southerner, while even the capital of Nigeria is in North, and the figures from the ministry of finance shows that the north take home 70% of that money. I have no confident in Nuru Ribadu.

A president  most have a solution to solve the problem of Nigeria. I even think El Rufia has better vision than Nuru Ribadu, but el rufia have been found too to be corrupt. If El rufia was not found to be corrupt, I think I would have pick him as my vice president running mate.

After looking at Nigeria and the list you people present. I am beginning to think I should run for president.  I can solve the problem of Nigeria. You see to show you lack of vision of your leader. Even when satellite pictures have shown that the south is more than the north. Good leader stand up to the occasion to solve the problem.

I believe I can be president of Nigeria. I believe I can provide you with free health care, free education up to secondary level.

I can pivot the economy to the level of the development world. I have the knowlegde , skill and experience. I think the time to allow mediocre to rule your life should be over. Thieve and pen robbers whose only interest is to steal for you should be over.

I have seen the satellite pictures, I do not think if the united nation count the vote, that I can loss an election.

The issue is having a solution how to solve the problem of Nigeria. I can solve it. I can provide free health care. free education, good road etc. I think this is what people should be looking for , not just because someone is from your ethnics group.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by mechris: 5:15pm On Aug 08, 2009
This is either a P.R gambit or an expression of wishfull thinking.I would advise him to settle for an international job if offered, than embark on another bumby ride.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by abbeyboy(m): 6:31pm On Aug 08, 2009
@ mechris,
Well said. i wonder what is the cause of this PR job for the guy.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by larez(m): 8:12pm On Aug 08, 2009
@Wirinet and ChidiChris:

You guys have made very intelligent arguments without getting emotional about it, and I appreciate your thoroughness. It is clear that Nigeria has a lot of issues of credibility. Many say thaat it will take a "Rawlings" to clean up this country. Nigerians abroad are being subjected to a high level of scrutiny because of the paradigm in the country. This is rather unfortunate because both the good and bad are lumped up together. I still believe that each man should be respected until they lose the privilege by their actions. But what about inaction? We as Nigerians really have to question ourselves about being inactive and letting everything go to rot.

Governor Fashola is defining himself as an icon of possibilities. Lagos has long been written off by social scholars accross the world and it has become a reference point as well as a study of chaos. Who would think that one man within a short period of 2-1/2 years could bring back hope to a city like Lagos. Nigeria truly needs more action from it's citizens. It needs more visionaries instead of the clueless crop that we call leaders. It is very discouraging when people like me come out of diaspora with great ideas and experiences that allow a peek into future possibilities or fatalities, only to face these prima donna politicians who wave us aside while only being concerned about bags of money.

The point that I am trying to make here is that Nigeria has very few role models. The society has become stagnant, and people have degenerated to uncaring greed motivated individuals. Very few care about the society that they live in, and when you try to bring up awareness about this, they laugh at you and tell you that you better go find a way to get your share of the pie. This is very disheartening.

With the issues that you guys have raised, you may have made an impact on me. But I still say that there is something, or spirit about Ribadu that shows a person who cares about his society. The fact that he avoided being corrupted by the obvious people in power who would have loved to have him on their take, is something to think about. The errors of judgment that he may have made in the past probably will remain in the past due to his recent exposures. The World and people like me have put an extra onus on him, which I tend to believe he will not abuse. The clear difference between Ribadu and these politicians reamains his conscience. This guy seems to have retained his conscience within a decadent society.

Better yet, Ribadu has walked alone many times. This is a character trait that must be respected. It further confirms his spirit of true leadership. He is clearly not one of "the boys" who find strength and confidence by frolicking with each other in excesses and decay. Ribadu's invitations to various international quality events has reinforced a paradigm of respectability unto him. The World has heard his voice, and interacted with the man enough for him to feel secure about providing leadership in Nigeria. These are the things that I look at. These are the things that count. Life is a continuous process of learning and reflections.

I thank you for the education about Mallam Ribadu's issues, and this will allow me to further scrutinize him in the future. However, after the considerations I listed above, for some reason, there is still some faith left in him. People like Wole Soyinka, Gani Faweyinmi etc, cannot provide the political leadership that we need today in Nigeria. Who else, apart from Okonjo Iweala do you see as a possibility and how do you think that we, the people can motivate them into Nigerian politics? How can we begin to say that enough is enough, and foist the type of leaders that we need unto the country? These are the issues that we need to be discussing. Thanks once again guys, It is obvious that you care about the country.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by larez(m): 8:27pm On Aug 08, 2009
wirinet:

@Larez,

I really appreciate your posts, especially in the properties section. I look forwards to reading your posts concerning Architecture, i had learnt a lot from them. Although I have reservations concerning your views of Nigerian Architects and Architecture. Well that is a digression.

Thanks for the compliments. I am currently working on a development idea and spent most of the past couple of weeks designing and costing my model. Since you've been on the ground, would you like to collaborate? I will open up a thread in the properties section regarding construction costs in Nigeria. It was shocking to find out from my spreadsheets that unmixed concrete only costs N18,313.71
per Cubic Metre, or N7,834.72 per Metric Ton when costs are aggregated for the components. I am therefore sold on the idea of Insulated Concrete forms (ICFs) for construction from foundation through roof panels. Lookout for the thread. Cheers!!
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by wirinet(m): 9:17pm On Aug 08, 2009
@Lorez,

Thanks for your compliments. Compliments coming from someone of your caliber gives me a lot of joy. In my youth days i was very optimistic and passionate about Nigeria. I had the opportunity to check out in my early 20s but i refused to because i had great plans and hope for Nigeria. I was even sent to US and UK to choose where i would like to live, but in all occasions i came back home. So you can feel the frustrations of dashed hope that i feel on how things have gone so hopelessly bad. I am barely managing to survive with my family through very difficult situations and i can tell you it is not due to lack of skills, motivation or hard work.

Back to Ribadu, I believed he miscalculated. If he had resigned just before the elections, where OBJ used him to eliminate political opponents from the elections, he would have written his name forever in Nigeria's history books. But he became an accomplice in OBJ's third term bid, exposing himself to a lot of political risk. I think he was bribed with triple promotion and a promised of becoming IG by OBJ.

Also if he had resigned immediately the new administration came in, immediately Yaradua started behaving funny towards him, he would still had retained some degree of pride and respect, But to hang on and allow himself to be humiliated like that shows his shallowness at politicking.

Today Okonjo Iweala has far more respect than Ribadu, because she did not allow OBJ to humiliate her. Ribadu would have gotten a UN job by now if he was not so humiliated. I would Vote for okonjo Iweala any day.

As per your project i would be honoured to collaborate. And i would look forward to your thread. But i must warn you Nigerians especially the Elite, are very conservative. They are slow to embrace innovative construction methods out side the traditional mass concrete and blocks.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by Sunnami: 9:20am On Aug 09, 2009
I am a fan of Ribadu. He might have made mistakes in the past and I believe he has learnt from his mistakes. But the big question still remains-Did Ribadu put any innocent man in jail? We all know that the legal system in our country is riddled with the same disease the man was fighting against-corruption. Being a young man with a lot of passion or zeal for the project Nigeria, he gave it his best. Has anyone really noticed that this man is loved more in the southern Nigeria though he dealt with more leaders/people in the south than the north? This is a clear indication that we are not really divided like we thought. Our leaders exploit or rather manipulate our differences to their advantage. It does not matter where a good leader is going to emerge from I will be willing to support him. Ribadu may not become preisdent but has anyone thought of what will happen to the Nigerian police if he became the Inspector Genaral of Police? I am sure under Ribadu there will be know snacthing of ballot boxes, then our votes will begin to count. The Tafas, the Ehindaros and the Okiros have all been weighed and are found wanting. We are yet to weigh the Onovos. In the words of president Obama what we need is a strong institution not strong men. If these politicians know we are capable of voting them out they will not threat us with so much disdain. If there is a strong legal institution that will punish them when they are corrupt they will not steal our money with impunity. The guilty are afraid. Has anyone asked while the Nigerian elites require police escort all the time? They have stolen our money and they know the people are angry. So what with need is not just a Ribadu president. We need Ribadus in INEC, Powerholdings, Supreme Court, Oil and Gas, Niger Delta and Ministry of education. We even need Ribadus as head of different families in Nigeria (Charity begins at home). Then Nigeria will begin to take its palce among committee of great Nations.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by larez(m): 11:16am On Aug 09, 2009
Sunnami:

I am a fan of Ribadu. He might have made mistakes in the past and I believe he has learnt from his mistakes. But the big question still remains-Did Ribadu put any innocent man in jail? ,

Very well said!! My sentiments exactly.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by mechris: 2:18pm On Aug 09, 2009
Thanks Abbeyboy! ,u don't have to wonder about who could be ochestrating this Ribadu's P.R moves;they are every where, opportunists that may eventually crucify him a second time.This is a kyte flying and water testing approach for him.But as to how far this can go , well its definitely a hardsell!!
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by Becomrich: 6:48pm On Aug 09, 2009
NURU RIBADU is what they call over here an Ethnics Profiler. ETHNICS PROFILER CAN NOT BECOME PRESIDENT.

Look over here, they would have arrested NURU RIBADU. Police are not allowed to profile people based on ethnics or race. When they look at a police man record. If he is white and they found that 90% of his arrest is only black people. They sack him. It is call race profiling. And If you look at Nuru Ribadu record at the EFFC , Nuru Ribadu was an ETHNICS PROFILER. If you doubt, let Nuru Ribadu release the detail of the arrest and time , they were arrested by the EFFC.

I would show you some vital information about Nuru Ribadu record with the EFFC. Even El Rufia in one of the written confirm they went to wake Nuru Ribadu up to Implicate Odili. El Rufia is from the same part of the country as Nuru Ribadu. that why he can not be president. An ethnics profiler can not be president.  I have nothing against nuru as a person, but his record is not good for president.
Re: Nuhu Ribadu: Nigeria’s Next Obama? by kinwen: 12:28am On Aug 10, 2009
what Ribadu did with E F CC shows that he is not an independent minded person and canot be trusted with power, as such he can never be our obama.That means if he becomes the president any body he fears and respect will control him just the way obj used him againt his political enemies mba lailai babu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Subsidy Reinvestment And Empowerment Programme Document / Middlebelt, Should We Still Vote Goodluck Come 2015 In Majority Like 2011? / Reactions to Dakuku Peterside Interview On Channels today (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.