Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,464 members, 7,812,418 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:05 PM

Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms (5388 Views)

Nigerian Militants Demand Release Of Nnamdi Kanu After Hijacking Ship / EFCC Uncovers Another N3bn Stolen Arms Deal!!! / Fg Dismisses Militants’ Demand For Amnesty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by mbulela: 5:20pm On Aug 05, 2009
so funny.
just this afternoon, someone said my views on the solution was too tainted with practicality that it was condoned too much of present.
now you accuse me of the other extreme.

anyway, i agree with you apart from that overriding motive point.
i am not sure of his overriding motive.
on that note, we disagree.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by nex(m): 5:44pm On Aug 05, 2009
The Niger Deltans has been separated into the TRUE and the OBJ Niger Deltan, the terrorists have been segregated into the criminal boys and the innocent bunkering men, the package seekers have been separated into the Boyloaf Harries and the Asari/Gbomo Alaibes, MEND has been divided into the Delta and the Bayelsa MENDs. Oya, continue! It will soon get to the Asaba warriors and the Warri crusaders.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by shoggy24(m): 5:48pm On Aug 05, 2009
I cant believe some idiots are actually saying pay this guys. The moment the Govt succumbs and pay them is the beginning of the end for this country. Not only can they go out and buy another set of "more" sophisticated arms with this money but every AK47, pump action and even shakabula owner in Nigeria will want to follow suit.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by Beaf: 6:06pm On Aug 05, 2009
Ibime:

One should always be mindful of the points above. . . .when I say I support MEND, people think I vouch for the ethics of the boys themselves. . . . this couldn't be further from the truth, cos I have stated repeatedly that the boys are hired criminals. . . . Im more mindful of the leadership of MEND than the boys. . .

Are the above your views or did you cull them from somewhere? If so, can I have the link please so I can sudy it for myself, especially with regard to Hillary Clintons visit.

Yes, those are just my views. But they are based on the degree to which the actions of MEND and their high levels of organisation are being studied/monitored by top strategic agancies World wide. It wouldn't be a surprise if somewhere, someone is seeing the kernels of a stable nation worth their backing; these things crossed my mind when the US seemed to cut Nigeria's status with Obama visit to Ghana.

@mbulela. Alams is a spent force that is now keeping a low profile for his own safety; he was used as a ladder. The same goes for Odili, who is now persona non grata in the Niger Delta and spends his time between Abuja and South Africa.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by babapupa: 6:18pm On Aug 05, 2009
-Beaf

You too dey sound misguided and your views are always pointless and counter productive. You really don't have to support and upheld greed, stupidity, Ignorance and self destructive behavior just because the perpetrators are your kinfolks. Obviously, folks like you are part of the problem.

There's nothing here to support or be proud of.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by mbulela: 6:25pm On Aug 05, 2009
bros, i beg throw more light on the phrase in bold fonts.
thank you.
Beaf:

Yes, those are just my views. But they are based on the degree to which the actions of MEND and their high levels of organisation are being studied/monitored by top strategic agancies World wide. It wouldn't be a surprise if somewhere, someone is seeing the kernels of a stable nation worth their backing; these things crossed my mind when the US seemed to cut Nigeria's status with Obama visit to Ghana.

@mbulela. Alams is a spent force that is now keeping a low profile for his own safety; he was used as a ladder. The same goes for Odili, who is now persona non grata in the Niger Delta and spends his time between Abuja and South Africa.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by Beaf: 6:59pm On Aug 05, 2009
Peaceful resistance of minority ethnic groups across the Niger Delta has been met with brutal military repression and the broken promises of oil companies, with no opportunity for dialogue or genuine negotiation in 50 years. In this environment, the armed resistance group, the Movement for the Emancipation of Niger Delta Peoples (MEND) emerged in 2006. The group targeted oil installations and caused a 40% drop in supply, from 2.4 million to 1.3 million barrels per day, according to University of California-Berkeley geography professor Michael Watts. MEND claims it has the capacity to shut down oil production in four days.

Watts says the situation in the Niger Delta has now reached a tipping point. There is strong internal political pressure from powerful north and southwest constituencies to clamp down on armed groups and restore stability, so the oil companies don't flee and the oil wealth continues. The continuing military offensive confirms to militants that the government is intent on controlling oil at any cost.

The crisis in the Niger Delta comes at a point in history when issues of peak oil and world energy crisis are looming. Oil supply is a big issue for all stakeholders, and the tragic cost of protecting that supply in Nigeria is the current humanitarian crisis and war.

U.S. policy is closely aligned with guaranteeing oil supply from the Gulf of Guinea and the current situation has direct implications for U.S. interests in the region. Nigeria's high-quality oil is used in U.S. auto and gasoline markets and is therefore an important component of overall supply. With Nigerian oil expected to rise from 14% to 25% of U.S. petroleum imports by 2015, Washington should play a key role in brokering a peace agreement.

MEND has indicated it is open to dialogue and willing to negotiate. It has sought both from the Nigerian government in the last few years, but to no avail. Left unchecked, the region's descent into war threatens to become a humanitarian disaster.

A combined international effort is needed to demilitarize the Niger Delta and use diplomacy to broker a peace agreement. The United States should join with the EU to set the process in motion with a fact-finding mission that would give way to negotiations, along the same lines as the Good Friday peace agreement in Northern Ireland.

http://www.fpif.org/fpiftxt/6248
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by Beaf: 7:02pm On Aug 05, 2009
Clearly, there are complex issues driving the conflict in the Niger Delta, issues that are not going to be resolved in the near future. Efforts to create a formal peace process in the Delta continue, but so far have not borne fruit. Nonetheless, in the near term, the United States and other members of the international community should send clear signals to the Nigerian government that they are paying attention to the developments in the Delta and that they expect the government of Nigeria and the Nigerian military to adhere to basic humanitarian principles, including the protection of civilians, unfettered humanitarian access, and freedom of movement for noncombatants.

Andrew Blum http://www.fpif.org/fpiftxt/6262
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by Beaf: 7:10pm On Aug 05, 2009
With the Nigerian military apparently unable to stop the attacks, analysts believe the government should either reach a negotiated settlement to the conflict or risk the intervention of foreign powers keen to secure oil supplies.

http://www.isn.ethz.ch/isn/Current-Affairs/Security-Watch/Detail/?id=88516&lng=en
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by Beaf: 7:19pm On Aug 05, 2009
Although the onus to resolve the conflict in the Niger Delta must be on the Nigerian government, the Yar’Adua administration’s inaction to date indicates that external pressure must be continued for any kind of problem solving process to begin. The international community, particularly the U.S. and the U.K., could do a great deal to support a Nigerian-led political dialogue once the Yar’Adua government demonstrates serious initiative. The U.S. and the U.K. are already cooperating closely and quietly encouraging the Nigerians to move swiftly, but they will also have to work to coordinate productive responses from Western oil companies if a comprehensive peace process gets underway. The United Nations could also play a supporting role with mediation assistance, development aid, and environmental cleanup. One speaker suggested the establishment of a contact group that would include the U.N., U.S., U.K., and perhaps China as well as non-governmental organizations within the U.S. This group could support a Nigerian-led mediation process with funding and advice, and could lead an effort to control the importation of weapons into the region.

The conflict in the Niger Delta continues to challenge both the Nigerian government and the international community. On the domestic front, one speaker noted that the strategy for moving forward involves an inherent contradiction regarding the nature of federalism in Nigeria. While more localized resource control and democratic policies are needed in the Niger Delta, the federal government’s ability to play a more constructive role in establishing security and making governors more accountable is equally important. To date, the international community has deferred to the Nigerian government’s insistence that it will handle the matter internally. However, the international community also has a stake in helping to resolve this conflict: the problems in the Niger Delta also destabilize global markets, especially as the price of oil continues to rise. Bringing peace and stability to the region will require the Yar’Adua administration to fulfill its own promises of launching credible peace and development processes, supported by the cooperation of the international community

http://www.usip.org/resources/bringing-peace-niger-delta
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by Beaf: 7:26pm On Aug 05, 2009
If the so-called amnesty fails, we are likely to see overt foreign intervention in various forms from those interested in the security of their energy supplies. From the general analysis in the West, there will likely to be a split up of the country; aside from oil, Nigeria as a whole does not have much to offer the West economically.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by presido1: 8:07pm On Aug 05, 2009
The end to this conflict is not near, If the western powers come in it will prolong the agitation cuz the west can never support the action of MEND hence they would not side them. Irrespective of the fact that the they(west) know environmental condition of Niger Delta. The west is only coming to secure the flow of crude and not to resolve the impasse. Their interest is more important than any life lost so they have to protect their interest first.

I strongly believe that this agitation will transmogrify to another thing that will engulf the whole nation. Will it end the existence of Nigeria? Itz only time will tell.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by Bobstainless(m): 8:08pm On Aug 05, 2009
Government is paying the price for inefficacy and laxity in developing the oil reach region.The youth are fighting for their stolen right.
The Govt. Have also decided to pay more to militants than its serving youth corps member by wanting to pay more to economic sabotor than national builders. In cases like this the only option is to flush out militants befor it becomes an institution.
Futhermore if militancy is left unchecked they may metermorphosize into organized political thugs come 2011 general election. Nigerians be ware!!
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by ocelot2006(m): 2:23am On Aug 06, 2009
Give a rat a piece of cheese, and it will later demand for milk. It's time the Federal govt take drastic action against these thieves. Enough is enough.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by nex(m): 8:09am On Aug 06, 2009
I say kill every single member or MEND.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 06, 2009
Beaf:

If the so-called amnesty fails, we are likely to see overt foreign intervention in various forms from those interested in the security of their energy supplies. From the general analysis in the West, there will likely to be a split up of the country; aside from oil, Nigeria as a whole does not have much to offer the West economically.

Actually the military option has not even been implemented.
Clearly since the advent of the fourth republic there has been a conscious effort of the society to find a lasting political/diplomatic solution to the niger delta question.  These have not really yielded much fruit. What we are seeing is just more and more escalation in attacks and demands from militant groups in the niger delta.

Eventually a military solution would be inevitable, which would have serious consequences for the militants given the nature of the terrain and the consequent difficulty/impossibility of building fortifications. I mean how do they hope to withstand an attack launched against them using squadrons of helicopter gunships and attack helicopters, naval blockade, and follow-up assaults by special police and infantry units, such an attack being sustained over a 1 month period?

Trust me that this attack would be implemented before there is even any consideration of the issue by any supranational body like the UN or even any kangaroo international court.

I guess this is why the more prudent of the militants have decided to cut their losses and head to Abuja or even evacuate to the West.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by PurestBoy(m): 5:08am On Aug 07, 2009
These guys are criminals, they should be wiped off
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by Beaf: 6:12am On Aug 07, 2009
tensor777:

Actually the military option has not even been implemented.
Clearly since the advent of the fourth republic there has been a conscious effort of the society to find a lasting political/diplomatic solution to the niger delta question.  These have not really yielded much fruit. What we are seeing is just more and more escalation in attacks and demands from militant groups in the niger delta.

Eventually a military solution would be inevitable, which would have serious consequences for the militants given the nature of the terrain and the consequent difficulty/impossibility of building fortifications. I mean how do they hope to withstand an attack launched against them using squadrons of helicopter gunships and attack helicopters, naval blockade, and follow-up assaults by special police and infantry units, such an attack being sustained over a 1 month period?

Trust me that this attack would be implemented before there is even any consideration of the issue by any supranational body like the UN or even any kangaroo international court.

I guess this is why the more prudent of the militants have decided to cut their losses and head to Abuja or even evacuate to the West.

Was that the sound of your little brain falling through your arse? "UN or even any kangaroo international court".
You sound a bit like Hitler; you really sound like you hate ND people.

In any event, maybe you haven't heard that JTF is pulling out of Delta state which produces 40% of the oil and is the capital of MEND. Why? Or that JTF cost the nation $3 billion to set up and arm, yet they were died by the dozen in the creeks. All they could do was shell and bomb villages from afar without denting the power of the millitants. A waste of $3 billion and scarce common sense.
Talking a bit more about common sense; who has more to lose in a war between ND and Nigeria? Already oil companies operating in Nigeria cannot get bank loans and the 2009 budget is in trouble.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by Nobody: 7:47am On Aug 07, 2009
@beaf

To be fair, you suggested or implied that you were ready for the crisis to be internationalised. What I am just saying is that before such an eventuality, it is reasonable to suppose that the FG would have exhausted all the diplomatic, political and even military options available to it.

As for your other suggestion, nobody in Nigeria, or outside Nigeria has any quarrel with the ordinary lawabiding niger delta indigene but they do take issue with militant groups that exploit the niger delta question for criminal gain.

In any case the crimes of kidnapping,murder, arson and robbery commited by these bandit groups has made the lives and prospects of the ordinary citizens who live in the  niger delta even more harrowing.

So,in a nutshell, it  really is up to the militants to lay down their arms and go to Abuja in order to seek a diplomatic/political resolution of the niger delta question.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by babapupa: 7:52am On Aug 07, 2009

grin grin grin
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by sjeezy8: 7:59am On Aug 07, 2009
lol this is hilarious man i swear terrorist ask for house and money, maybe they should ask for a swimming pool in the backyard lol
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by Em2va: 11:18pm On Aug 10, 2009
I PITY the FG and Nigeria as a whole, they are joking with these boys.
Let me make this clear, MEND is not just any millitant group oh! There are educated
ones among them who are even a 100 times wiser than any professor you'll bring.
My advice to the FG is be careful, if you are promising anything be sure that you can do
just that, if not Hum!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

One Term Presidency: NTA Video Exposes The Lies Of President Jonathan [WATCH] / When They Tell You That Chief Of Army Staff Is A Northerner / Bukola Saraki Vs Bola Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.