Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Somali Men Appreciation Thread - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Somali Men Appreciation Thread (18624 Views)

How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? / Beauty Of Somali Women / Why Aren't Somali Woman In Hollywood???? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Somguy: 7:22am On Apr 23, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

And what exactly have I done so far that falls under the category of 'crap'? You don't have to take anything from me, you don't owe me anything, my point is, you and your compatriots have painted a very disturbing and grotesque picture of Somalis, heck the friends I have, I'm starting to question because you all are starting to seem like slimy snakes to me.

If you weren't one of those who were insulting us, then there is no reason for you to freak out.

If the stuff that's been posted by some random people online is enough to make you question your real life friends then I'm afraid you're the slimy one here.

I was simply standing up for my people. And unlike the people in that disgusting thread, I did not insult all Nigerians.
Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Somguy: 7:24am On Apr 23, 2016
Eritrean:
wow! Handsome Somali men cheesy

Where i live there is a small Somali community and me and my friends always sit at a park closeby and we noticed how freaking good looking the men are when they pass us by hahaha

People from the horn pretty much look alike if you ask me lol. Eritrean women are gorgeous!

2 Likes

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Fulaman198(m): 7:27am On Apr 23, 2016
It's ok to make threads that praise your respective culture(s), however in doing so please do not insult the cultures of others. It's completely unfruitful and unproductive. Thus, your first post was hidden. If you find a post insulting, please use the report feature. Thanks!

2 Likes

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Somguy: 8:21am On Apr 23, 2016
Fulaman198:
It's ok to make threads that praise your respective culture(s), however in doing so please do not insult the cultures of others. It's completely unfruitful and unproductive. Thus, your first post was hidden. If you find a post insulting, please use the report feature. Thanks!

That whole thread was insulting. Painting our women as desperate and shameless and the men as ugly, effeminate weaklings.
Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Fulaman198(m): 8:28am On Apr 23, 2016
Somguy:

That whole thread was insulting. Painting our women as desperate and shameless and the men as ugly, effeminate weaklings.

We both know that Somali men are very respectful to their women and that Somali women are great women. In the future, please report such posts as I do understand that no one likes their ethnic group being insulted. Remember, they are breaking

2. Don't abuse, bully, deliberately insult/provoke, fight, or wish harm to Nairaland members OR THEIR TRIBES.
3. Don't threaten, support or DEFEND violent acts against any person, tribe, race, animals, or group (e.g. rape).

So if someone upsets you and acts bigoted towards your people, remember it's in violation of the rules on here. Please report it, Moderators can not go through every single post. Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Somguy: 8:31am On Apr 23, 2016
Fulaman198:

We both know that Somali men are very respectful to their women and that Somali women are great women. In the future, please report such posts as I do understand that no one likes their ethnic group being insulted. Remember, they are breaking

2. Don't abuse, bully, deliberately insult/provoke, fight, or wish harm to Nairaland members OR THEIR TRIBES.
3. Don't threaten, support or DEFEND violent acts against any person, tribe, race, animals, or group (e.g. rape).

So if someone upsets you and acts bigoted towards your people, remember it's in violation of the rules on here. Please report it, Moderators can not go through every single post. Thanks!

I guess that's fair enough. I was mostly upset with some senior members who I thought were decent, yet they were in there as well yet nobody told that stupid person off.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Fulaman198(m): 8:35am On Apr 23, 2016
Somguy:

I guess that's fair enough. I was mostly upset with some senior members who I thought were decent, yet they were in there as well yet nobody told that stupid person off.

Thanks.

No worries, please remember that even though we moderators try to be perfect, there will be posts that we miss. That's why the report function was implemented. We do make mistakes from time to time but we do try to be just and fair. You have to remember that this is an unpaid job, so most of the time, we will often just skim through posts and hide the ones we find offensive without reading the entire content. But if you report a post, it is more than likely to be hidden/deleted.

1 Like

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Somguy: 8:40am On Apr 23, 2016
Fulaman198:

No worries, please remember that even though we moderators try to be perfect, there will be posts that we miss. That's why the report function was implemented. We do make mistakes from time to time but we do try to be just and fair. You have to remember that this is an unpaid job, so most of the time, we will often just skim through posts and hide the ones we find offensive without reading the entire content. But if you report a post, it is more than likely to be hidden/deleted.

OK, that's very understandable. Maybe I overreacted as well. Thanks bro.

1 Like

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Fulaman198(m): 8:42am On Apr 23, 2016
Somguy:

OK, that's very understandable. Maybe I overreacted as well. Thanks bro.

It's ok, it's understandable. You are still relatively new to Nairaland, so you are not at fault. We really hope that you enjoy your time and stay here. Again, I welcome you to Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Wulfruna(f): 8:43am On Apr 23, 2016
Somguy, I think you are basically a good person. But you may be whining a bit here, to be honest.

You are miffed about Somali women being called desperate, and Somali men bring called ugly and effeminate.

But here is the truth, and I believe I have already said this on another thread: Nigerians were not attacking Somalis (Nigerians on this forum hardly even took notice of the Somali people) before the troll came here and just started insulting Nigerians for absolutely NO reason.

Here is a list of a FEW of the things we've been called:

1. Slaves
2. Ugly monkeys and apes
3. Primitive, culture-less and without history
4. Our women are wh.ores
5. Our women look like men.
6. We are unintelligent.
7. We eat every vile thing on the face of the earth.

The list is endless. Every kind of insult you can think of has been hurled at us. We were on our own, on our forum, minding our business, and your countryman just came here and started hurling insults all around, posting selected pictures of ugly people (yes, those pictures you posted, the Somali troll has already used them and more, and all the points you made on this post have already been made by him in a gazillion posts - so congratulations for sounding just like him).

What Nigerians have been doing here is merely clapping back - something I'm VERY sure you, too, will do if a Nigerian shows up on Somalinet to insult your people. Why you want to whine about that and create a thread with an endless cascade of pictures of good-looking Horn people (again, the Somali troll has already shown us like 60% of those pictures), I don't understand. Are you telling Nigerians to keep quiet in the face of unprovoked insults? Please answer this question.

7 Likes

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Somguy: 8:55am On Apr 23, 2016
Wulfruna:
Somguy, I think you are basically a good person. But you may be whining a bit here, to be honest.

You are miffed about Somali women being called desperate, and Somalia women bring called ugly and effeminate.

But here is the truth, and I believe I have already said this on another thread: Nigerians were not attacking Somalis (Nigerians on this forum hardly even took notice of the Somali people) before the troll came here and just started insulting Nigerians for absolutely NO reason.

Here is a list of a FEW of the things we've been called:

1. Slaves
2. Ugly monkeys and apes
3. Primitive, culture-less and without history
4. Our women are wh.ores
5. Our women look like men.
6. We are unintelligent.
7. We eat every vile thing on the face of the earth.

The list is endless. Every kind of insult you can think of has been hurled at us. We were on our own, on our forum, minding our business, and your countryman just came here and started hurling insults all around, posting selected pictures of ugly people (yes, those pictures you posted, the Somali troll has already used them and more, and all the points you made on this post have already been made by him in a gazillion posts - so congratulations for sounding just like him).

What Nigerians have been doing here is merely clapping back - something I'm VERY sure you, too, will do if a Nigerian shows up on Somalinet to insult your people. Why you want to whine about that and create a thread with an endless cascade of pictures of good-looking Horn people (again, the Somali troll gas already shown as like 60% of those pictures), I don't understand. Are you telling Nigerians to keep quiet in the face of unprovoked insults? Please answer this question.

I understand what you're saying here, sister, but as grownups do you really think it makes sense to stoop to the level of some stupid trolls who are clearly trying to cause disunity and pit us all against each other?? These idiots don't even make sense half of the time and refer to Nigerians as Bantus. What on God's green earth do Nigerians have to do with Bantus??

I don't know. Maybe I'm being unfair to you guys though. On one hand, you have the right to respond in kind. That's your God-given right and the blame is not on you for responding but on the person who provoked you. But on the other hand, shouldn't those of us who have sense check those from amongst us who transgress the boundaries? That's what I came here to do; check these losers and show you all that they do not represent us.

Again, maybe it's me who is being unfair here. I can't say I know how it feels to deal with these animals and their million accounts for so many years.

1 Like

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Somguy: 9:04am On Apr 23, 2016
Also, I'll admit I let my anger get the best of me and overreacted, but I was not trying to put Naija people down. I've always respected the Nigerian people and was even a fan of the Naija national team. Okocha, Amukachi etc were my heroes lol.

I do stand by what I said regarding some West Africans inflating the egos of Horners though. I'm Somali yet even I am beginning to get fed up by how arrogant all this unnecessary attention has made some of them. If you do a Google search right now you will find a bunch of threads on a number of different forums that are dedicated to horner women. That foolishness has made some people from the Horn become haughty and arrogant.

1 Like

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Fulaman198(m): 9:08am On Apr 23, 2016
Somguy:
Also, I'll admit I let my anger get the best of me and overreacted, but I was not trying to put Naija people down. I've always respected the Nigerian people and was even a fan of the Naija national team. Okocha, Amukachi etc were my heroes lol.

I do stand by what I said regarding some West Africans inflating the egos of Horners though. I'm Somali and even am beginning to get fed up by how arrogant all this unnecessary attention has made some of them. If you do a Google search right now you will find a bunch of threads on a number of different forums that are dedicated to horner women. That foolishness has made some people from the Horn become haughty and arrogant.

I do agree with you to a certain extent in regards to the amount of posts people make in regards to women from the Horn. I do find Horn women beautiful too, but to me, they aren't more beautiful than West African ladies. I feel that all African women are beautiful and deserve to be worshipped, respected and cared for. All African women deserve threads that are dedicated to them be it Nigerian women, Somali women, Ghanaian women, Ethiopian women, Senegalese women, Kenyan women, Malian women, Eritrean women, etc. etc.

Women are very beautiful and a gift to this Earth and do deserve to be cherished.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Somguy: 9:17am On Apr 23, 2016
Fulaman198:

I do agree with you to a certain extent in regards to the amount of posts people make in regards to women from the Horn. I do find Horn women beautiful too, but to me, they aren't more beautiful than West African ladies. I feel that all African women are beautiful and deserve to be worshipped, respected and cared for. All African women deserve threads that are dedicated to them be it Nigerian women, Somali women, Ghanaian women, Ethiopian women, Senegalese women, Kenyan women, Malian women, Eritrean women, etc. etc.

Women are very beautiful and a gift to this Earth and do deserve to be cherished.

Yes, women should definitely be appreciated. I,too, find West African women to be very beautiful.

1 Like

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Wulfruna(f): 9:36am On Apr 23, 2016
Somguy:

I do stand by what I said regarding some West Africans inflating the egos of Horners though. I'm Somali yet even I am beginning to get fed up by how arrogant all this unnecessary attention has made some of them. If you do a Google search right now you will find a bunch of threads on a number of different forums that are dedicated to horner women. That foolishness has made some people from the Horn become haughty and arrogant.

On this I agree. There are quite a good number of West Africans who obsess over women from the Horn, and women of mixed-race background. It is as shameful as it is annoying. There was one here a few years ago who literally begged the Somali troll to hook him up. I gave him a piece of my mind though.

You look at music videos and all these black artistes (Nigerian artistes, as well) want to do is fill up everywhere with women that have a particular look - light skin, straight nose, soft hair. It's like a mental illness. My mum is part-German and I get her looks, and as much as I want to protect my Nigerian brothers, the level of attention I get from them just for looking the way I do sometimes just sickens me.

Yes, it is a problem. I can't fault you on that.

3 Likes

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Somguy: 9:56am On Apr 23, 2016
Wulfruna:

On this I agree. There are quite a good number of West Africans who obsess over women from the Horn, and women of mixed-race background. It is as shameful as it is annoying. There was one here a few years ago who literally begged the Somali troll to hook him up. I gave him a piece of my mind though.

You look at music videos and all these black artistes (Nigerian artistes, as well) want to do is fill up everywhere with women that have a particular look - light skin, straight nose, soft hair. It's like a mental illness. My mum is part-German and I get her looks, and as much as I want to protect my Nigerian brothers, the level of attention I get from them just for looking the way I do sometimes just sickens me.

Yes, it is a problem. I can't fault you on that.

The funny thing is that most people from the horn don't even fit the stereotype that these trolls are trying to paint. Believe me. The trolls who bombard this forum with pictures only choose the lightest, most "exotic" looking types. I've seen just as many attractive West Africans as I've seen Horners. And like I said, I think y'all West African women are gorgeous and deserve to be loved and appreciated.

As for those who obsess about Horners, then it could be anything from the grass appearing to be greener on the other side or due to them being brainwashed to only desire a certain kind of phenotype. There is absolutely no logical reason for why dark skin and kinky hair should be seen as inferior to curly hair and lighter skin. It's all conditioning at the end of the day.

2 Likes

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Somguy: 10:03am On Apr 23, 2016
Come to think of it, it's African Americans who are obsessed with Horners more so than West Africans, even though I've seen it a lot there too.

Those of "our" women (I'm saying "our" because we don't own them) who are intelligent see it for what it is: a fetish. They understand that they are being reduced to objects of pleasure by these men and it makes them really uncomfortable. The less intelligent ones think it's flattering to get all this attention and end up being played by these guys who just see them as a bucket list item. I've seen this happen a couple of times.

1 Like

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Wulfruna(f): 10:31am On Apr 23, 2016
Somguy:
Come to think of it, it's African Americans who are obsessed with Horners more so than West Africans, even though I've seen it a lot there too.

LOL. I was almost going to point this out.

1 Like

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Nobody: 12:11pm On Apr 23, 2016
Somguy:
I understand the urge and need to stand up for your people. I also believe in eye for an eye so I've tried to overlook most of the hate that you've sent our way and blamed it on the trolls for antagonising you. But every man has his breaking point.

You're Hausa, which means that our people have a lot in common both linguistically, genetically, culturally and religiously. I have no hate for your people or any other Nigerian ethnic group. But you can't expect me to just bow down and take any kind of crap that you throw at me.

Yeah we do have a lot in common culturally, linguistically and religiously but I don't know about genetically. I don't have anything against Somalis either but when I see people like nubian999 doing a complete u turn character wise it's very suspicious. Anyways, I guess in the end we're both trying to defend our people, I went back through your old posts and it seems you have been chastising these trolls. No hard feelings.

7 Likes

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Nobody: 12:36pm On Apr 23, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

Yeah we do have a lot in come culturally, linguistically and religiously but I don't know about genetically. I don't have anything against Somalis either but when I see people like nubian999 doing a complete u turn character wise it's very suspicious. Anyways, I guess in the end we're both trying to defend our people, I went back through your old posts and it seems you have been chastising these trolls. No hard feelings.

YOU DON'T KNOW ME. FULL STOP.
Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 23, 2016
nubian999:

YOU DON'T KNOW ME. FULL STOP.

Honestly, I know enough. For instance I wasn't sure at first but you're the pengting who removed her picture when you became paranoid that some Somalis might recognise you. I know how much of an attention seeking hypocrite you are.

Don't make this about you.

Please don't quote me again and I will try not to bring you into this discussion, thanks.

5 Likes

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Nobody: 12:54pm On Apr 23, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

Honestly, I know enough. For instance I wasn't sure at first but you're the pengting who removed her picture when you became paranoid that some Somalis might recognise you. I know how much of an attention seeking hypocrite you are.

Don't make this about you.

Please don't quote me again and I will try not to bring you into this discussion, thanks.

Fans everywhere I turn. Again you don't know me full stop so stay in your corner and drop my moniker. Thank you
Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Nobody: 1:01pm On Apr 23, 2016
Somguy:
T

You are helping the cause by doing this

This is what the somali trolls did with Our Sisters Pictures. Those are people's brothers did you ask before you exploit them to beg friends?

why not open a thread teaching our culture? why the obsession with looks?

nacas. Good luck and have fun tongue tongue tongue

I am done with section. so quit quoting me.
Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Nobody: 1:04pm On Apr 23, 2016
“The hunger for attention is an enemy of self-love.”

4 Likes

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Baaballiyo(m): 3:04pm On Apr 23, 2016
Hmmmm I keep wondering why the obsession with looks and beauty on a culture thread ?? Something neither of us have control over. As a west African, I was hoping to know much about other people's culture, especially other Africans but it seems all am getting so far, its a beauty contest/argument. Hope we would start talkin about our cultures and keep the beauty contests a side, for its an argument none of us will WIN. Be cause beauty besides been in " the eye of the be holder" its something common to all tribes and ethnicities. All tribes have the extremely beautifuls, the very beautifuls, the beautifuls and the not so beautifuls.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Nobody: 3:18pm On Apr 23, 2016
Baaballiyo:
Hmmmm I keep wondering why the obsession with looks and beauty on a culture thread ?? Something neither us have control over. As a west African, I was hoping to know much about other people culture, especially other Africans but it seems all am getting so far, its a beauty contest and argument.

Hakane wallahi. But i guess beauty is a big aspect of some cultures, hence the obsession. I really enjoyed seeing and reading your earlier thread as i feel we're under represented and misunderstood here, especially since kaura left. if there's any in-depth online encyclopedia you can point me to also, especially one on our people that'd be super.
Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Somguy: 3:37pm On Apr 23, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

Yeah we do have a lot in common culturally, linguistically and religiously but I don't know about genetically. I don't have anything against Somalis either but when I see people like nubian999 doing a complete u turn character wise it's very suspicious. Anyways, I guess in the end we're both trying to defend our people, I went back through your old posts and it seems you have been chastising these trolls. No hard feelings.

I see what you mean bro. Apologies for disrespecting you earlier.

Hausa are Afro-Asiatic speakers. All Afro-Asiatic speakers have a common ancestry according to linguists and this is confirmed by geneticists. There's plenty of info on that online.
Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Somguy: 3:39pm On Apr 23, 2016
nubian999:

You are helping the cause by doing this

This is what the somali trolls did with Our Sisters Pictures. Those are people's brothers did you ask before you exploit them to beg friends?

why not open a thread teaching our culture? why the obsession with looks?

nacas. Good luck and have fun tongue tongue tongue

I am done with section. so quit quoting me.

Grow up. These pictures are public and all over the Internet. I've never insulted you so kindly refrain from insulting me.

And your response in that thread was very disgraceful to say the least so you should be the last one to talk.
Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Somguy: 3:41pm On Apr 23, 2016
Baaballiyo:
Hmmmm I keep wondering why the obsession with looks and beauty on a culture thread ?? Something neither of us have control over. As a west African, I was hoping to know much about other people's culture, especially other Africans but it seems all am getting so far, its a beauty contest/argument. Hope we would start talkin about our cultures and keep the beauty contests a side, for its an argument none of us will WIN. Be cause beauty besides been in " the eye of the be holder" its something common to all tribes and ethnicities. All tribes have the extremely beautifuls, the very beautifuls, the beautifuls and the not so beautifuls.

This was in response to a very hateful thread. I've seen us being negatively stereotyped by other Africans before so I was trying to dispel some myths. In hindsight I see how this thread was kind of useless though. No point arguing over aesthetics.

1 Like

Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Somguy: 3:59pm On Apr 23, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

By the way, I'm not saying this do defend this nubian999 character, but believe me when I say it's hard to stay quiet in the face of blatant disrespect and nasty insults. We all have this instinctive urge to want to defend our own, but sometimes it's best to not even engage in the ignorance I guess. It's also true what Wulfruna said, I should have reminded myself that this whole mess was caused by these Somali trolls who have been causing trouble here for years instead of getting all tribal.
Re: Somali Men Appreciation Thread by Nobody: 4:02pm On Apr 23, 2016
Somguy:

Grow up. These pictures are public and all over the Internet. I've never insulted you so kindly refrain from insulting me.

And your response in that thread was very disgraceful to say the least so you should be the last one to talk.

k

stop quoting & mentioning me walaal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? / Videos And Pictures From Igbo Cultural Festivals. / How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.