Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,370 members, 7,861,019 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:08 PM

Meet China's Teen Brides, Married At The Age Of 16 And 13 - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Meet China's Teen Brides, Married At The Age Of 16 And 13 (885 Views)

Pastor Ibiyeomie: If You Are Not Married At 35, You Are An Irresponsible Person / I Hate Men! Says This Lady Who Got Married At 19 (watch Video) / Is Getting Married At 35 Late For Men? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet China's Teen Brides, Married At The Age Of 16 And 13 by 9aiboard: 8:43am On Apr 23, 2016
Jie married her 16-year-old husband Wen three days after they met during the Lunar New Year in 2014. After she was confirmed pregnant.

It sounds like a scene from China's feudal past, when early marriage was customary, especially for girls, but teenage brides and grooms aren't uncommon in some poor and rural parts of the country's hinterland.

Photographer Muyi Xiao met Jie and her husband Wen in the southwestern province of Yunnan in 2014.
Jie was the youngest of a number of young Chinese newlyweds she profiled in a tender and fascinating series of images that helped earn 24-year-old Xiao a prestigious photography fellowship with the Magnum Foundation.
"Every girl I saw in these villages got married before they were 18 and some of them were extremely young," says Xiao.
"It's like something they think is normal to do -- it comes from the teachers, from the parents, from the kids."

Jie didn't want to fall pregnant so soon after getting married but didn't know about birth control.
Xiao, who traveled in the region for 18 days, said the marriages didn't appear to be the result of parental pressure, nor a kneejerk response to an unexpected pregnancy.
"I didn't see any forced marriage. The kids are happy, they say they fell in love."
She said the teenagers she profiled weren't comfortable giving their full names.

In China, the legal age for marriage is 22 for men and 20 for women but there's no specific penalty for breaching the law, according to Jiang Quanbao, a professor from Xi'an Jiaotong University.
He says in rural areas many recognize a marriage as long as a couple holds a ceremony and banquet; official registration would take place once the couple were of age.

http://www..com/2016/04/meet-chinas-teen-brides-married-at-age.html

Re: Meet China's Teen Brides, Married At The Age Of 16 And 13 by Nobody: 8:50am On Apr 23, 2016
Wetin i go talk now *sighs*
Re: Meet China's Teen Brides, Married At The Age Of 16 And 13 by Dottore: 8:52am On Apr 23, 2016
This is what happens when a teen girl inappropriately discovers the bliss of sex marriage blues would be all over her head for as long as she doesn't suffer heartbreak
Re: Meet China's Teen Brides, Married At The Age Of 16 And 13 by Flexherbal(m): 9:25am On Apr 23, 2016
So, teen marriage is common there.
Even parents and teachers encourage it.
How long do they live there?
Re: Meet China's Teen Brides, Married At The Age Of 16 And 13 by Nobody: 9:40am On Apr 23, 2016
mtchew..they've gone astray.

(1) (Reply)

Why are some girls Lazy / When A Girl Has Too Many Guys In Her Life / True Life Story! My Romantic Story With My Teacher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.