Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan (2575 Views)

Why Buhari Was ‘Banned’ From Entering U.S. For 15 Years — Atiku / Asari Dokubo: "Buhari Was Cloned In London, Current Nigerian President Is Fake" / 'I Handed Over The Best Nigerian Government To Buhari' - GEJ Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by Nobody: 9:18pm On Apr 23, 2016
The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – Jonathan

IMMEDIATE-PAST President of Nigeria, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan has stated that when he was elected into office, Nigeria was the second largest economy in Africa but by the time he was leaving, he handed over a Nigeria with the largest economy in Africa.

[caption][/caption]

Jonathan stated this yesterday while speaking to Friends of Africa coalition at the Mayor’s office in Newark, New Jersey, on topics bordering on strengthening democracy and elections.

The Former Nigerian President also noted that in 2009 the richest Nigerian was the 5th richest man in Africa, but he handed over a Nigeria that produced the richest man in Africa.

Jonathan also spoke about the 2015 general elections, the economy of Nigeria before and during his administration and the recent elections in Benin Republic.

According to Dr. Jonathan:

“Even in the 2015 general elections in my country, Nigeria, there was potential for major crisis if I was not a President duly elected by the will of the people.”

“The campaigns leading to the elections almost polarized the country into Christian v Muslims and North v South divide. Most World leaders were worried that our elections will result into major crisis. Some pundits even from here in the United States said that those elections would spell the end of Nigeria and that we would cease to exist as a nation because of the polls.”

“That is where the leadership question comes into play. As a leader that was duly elected by the people, I considered the people’s interest first. How do I manage my people to avoid killings and destruction of properties? With the interest of the people propelling all the decisions I took, we were able to sail through.”

“Indeed, we sail through because I refused to interfere with the independence of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, having appointed a man I had never met in my life to run it. My philosophy was simple. For elections to be credible, I as a leader, must value the process more than the product of the process. And the citizens must have confidence in the electoral body.”

“This rule of the law of process ensured that Nigeria’s peace, prosperity and progress was not derailed by the conduct and results of the 2015 elections and I am proud to say that while I took over a Nigeria that was the second largest economy in Africa with a GDP of $270.5 billion in 2009, I handed over a Nigeria that had grown to become the largest economy in Africa and the 24th largest economy in the World with a GDP of $574 billion.”

“I inherited a Nigeria in which the trains were not working, and handed over a Nigeria in which citizens can safely travel by trains again. I inherited a Nigeria that was a net importer of cement, and handed over a Nigeria that is a net exporter of cement. In 2009 the richest Nigerian was the 5th richest man in Africa, but I handed over a Nigeria that produced the richest man in Africa.”

“These are but a few of the parameters that illustrate some of the economic transformations we engineered during my term in office. This was made possible by the fact that there was a stable political leadership in Nigeria that did not have to pander to any other constituency except the electorate who brought me to power. And these actions have a contagious effect.”

“Perhaps because of what we achieved in Nigeria, our next door neighbor, Benin Republic, last month replicated what President Mathieu Kerekou did in 1991, that is to organize and conduct free and fair elections that led to the victory of opposition candidate Patrice Talon.”

“Once again, I must commend my friend, the incumbent and outgoing President of Benin Republic, President Thomas Boni Yayi, for his statesmanlike conduct during and after the elections.”

April 23, 2016.

http://.com/the-nigeria-i-handed-over-to-buhari-was-the-biggest-economy-in-africa-jonathan/

Lalasticlala
Ishilove
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by ccvizzle(m): 9:20pm On Apr 23, 2016
Na true sha

6 Likes

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by Sunofgod(m): 9:21pm On Apr 23, 2016
True talk...In less than a year Buhari has taken Nigeria back 10 years.

12 Likes

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by psucc(m): 9:21pm On Apr 23, 2016
Can Buhari also boast of handing over a better Nigeria to his successor?

I expect the APC govt to refute this claim if all the 'we inherited empty treasury from the past govt' stand is true.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by sademola: 9:21pm On Apr 23, 2016
OK
Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by micfoley: 9:22pm On Apr 23, 2016
We Don hear
Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by megaik: 9:22pm On Apr 23, 2016
GEJ I know...

Booked

5 Likes

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by gud4dbest(m): 9:25pm On Apr 23, 2016
Yes,the economics pundit said it;your govt enrich the rich and improverished the poor_ the situation was putting the masses on edge which prompted their crave for a change.The situation now might have turned worse but there'r omens that it will change 4d better.My fear is the secret agenda of APC.

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by mightyhaze: 9:25pm On Apr 23, 2016
...But now I doubt if we are amongst the first 30 in africa!

8 Likes

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by ziccoit: 9:25pm On Apr 23, 2016
Biggest economy on paper. This guy never learn, so predictable.

May be GEJ meant to say the biggest economy that only exist in his pocket and those of his cronies. Useless people. Thank your star PMB was not GMB, you would have been telling this story to your colleagues in Kirikiri.

11 Likes

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by woodboi(m): 9:26pm On Apr 23, 2016
Matter Arising... Still don't understand why APC goons keeping saying 16 years of misrule... when things are going worst from the day PMB took over, no good news, not even 1.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by lilprinze: 9:37pm On Apr 23, 2016
In less than a year that APC and buhari came in to power they have destroyed our economy.

12 Likes

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by lilprinze: 9:38pm On Apr 23, 2016
latter some zombies would say GEJ and PDP were clueless buhari and APC are the true definition of cluelessness.

13 Likes

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by deji68: 9:39pm On Apr 23, 2016
abio GEJ make u no mind dem..ordinary budget preparation na rocket science for pa Bubu...e no easy dem don dey feel the heat... grin grin grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by gidgiddy: 9:46pm On Apr 23, 2016
One thing about GEJ, he didn't run the elections 'do or die' style. Most of us Igbos supported GEJ. He lost but no one lost their lives and no property was lost. Had INEC announced GEJ as winner, just how many would have been killed and how many properties would have been lost? Many Igbos in the north sent their families down to the east just before the elections. Many uprooted and left. Why? Because if a northerner does not rule, all hell must break loose! Yet some deluded people will keep chanting the mantra of 'one Nigeria' even though nothing brings us together.Now that a northerner is ruling, are things getting any better? Have things really changed? Who is kidding who? I have no doubt in my mIndia that a man like Buhari who was pronouncing people guilty in his first media chat, thereby showing he has no regard for the constitution, will lead Nigeria no where. GEJ might not have been the best, but Buhari is likely to much worse than him.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by drss1(m): 9:52pm On Apr 23, 2016
tru talk. GEJ handed nigeria as d biggest oyel producer in africa to buari. maintaining d status quo of OBJ n yar adua. but less dan 12 months later, d dullard reduced nigeria to 2nd biggest oyel producer in africa. na backward accelerated developement buari sabi well well.

7 Likes

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by ayzTIGER: 9:52pm On Apr 23, 2016
ziccoit:
Biggest economy on paper. This guy never learn, so predictable.

May be GEJ meant to say the biggest economy that only exist in his pocket and those of his cronies. Useless people. Thank your star PMB was not GMB, you would have been telling this story to your colleagues in Kirikiri.
if you have proof that Nigeria wasnt the biggest economy in Africa before he handed over kindly post it let everybody see; moreover if you call GEJ "useless" i wonder what you will call that your GMB with the present economic situation in the country...

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by hucienda: 9:57pm On Apr 23, 2016
We may not agree on all things, President Jonathan, but

wow.. such a gentleman... now evolving into a statesman.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by babatunx(m): 10:03pm On Apr 23, 2016
Yeah ! very true, albeit on paper.....Although, one can not deny the fact that your postelection gentleman conduct neutralized the accumulated tensions and diverted the doom prophesied by prophets of doom and boom...This for me is your biggest legacy.....

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by Nobody: 10:30pm On Apr 23, 2016
The Nigerian economy was ''big''....however it was big because the price of the resource that we were selling was high for the most part. The cracks were already there when the price of oil started falling in July 2014....especially when the government then had to borrow to meet daily needs.

Now....I know many people say our problems started because GEJ did not save.But....the problem is....even if GEJ saved...all the money would have done is delayed the inevitable. The real problem is our dependence on selling raw materials. We have to get rid of that dependency....and go and develop a manufacturing base.

If oil prices were not high....GEJ would have had a small economy.

3 Likes

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by ajepako(f): 10:30pm On Apr 23, 2016
GEJ l know

GEJ I trust

GEJ I love

GEJ I miss...

RESPECT.........MY PRESIDENT.....

Haters...come on and spew thrash..

With phones you are charging in your neighbor's palour since he is the only one who got fuel in your hood because you spent all day in petrol station yet you came back fuel-less...

10 Likes

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by Orjioorji(f): 10:40pm On Apr 23, 2016
the dullard has not added a pin to what you handed over to him Sir ,instead he destroyed it.

4 Likes

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by Scholes007(m): 10:49pm On Apr 23, 2016
Oh no wonder we now hear about bayelsa this and that... This people self
Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by gebest: 10:51pm On Apr 23, 2016
Agreed, but the economy was sick before u handed over, it was an avoidable sickness cursed by u nd ur party FEE DEE FEE.

3 Likes

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by Donsammy77(m): 10:52pm On Apr 23, 2016
Scholes007:
Oh no wonder we now hear about bayelsa this and that... This people self

Na so
Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by 4C2215131: 10:53pm On Apr 23, 2016
Yes I concur but, the Nigeria he handed over was also steeped in corruption. Just being balanced here.

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by vedaxcool(m): 10:53pm On Apr 23, 2016
I remember he also handed over an economy in the following happened:.
1. which GTbank threatened to close it doors because fuel scarcity had become so bad

2. MTN threatened same.

3. Obj handed him $30b he handed Buhari virtually nothing.
4. GEJ didn't make Nigerian economy African largest, in fact it is a culmulative of govts over the years most notably Obj who had steadily grew the economy. the rebasing of the economy would have been done during obj govt but he postponed it due to reasons like not wanting abacha to take credit for it.

5. GEJ handed an economy riddled with perpetual theft of govt money, till buhari blocked a major hole through TSA implementation.

6. GEJ handed over wobbly economy which has significantly begun contracting due to falls in oil price.

7. GEJ handed over a non functional economic crime commission which would thwart fraud etc.

8. GEJ also handed insecurity occassioned by deliberate looting of funds for arms procurement this made many investors scared of the country.
9. GEJ was a locusts govt for locusts by locusts.

many evils he handed over

9 Likes

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by criminalmindz: 10:54pm On Apr 23, 2016
Buhari, nigeria's own david moyes. Destroyers!

2 Likes

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by gebest: 11:05pm On Apr 23, 2016
I JUST LOVE THIS MAN
Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by Scholes007(m): 11:09pm On Apr 23, 2016
Donsammy77:

Na so
instead of focusing on the deed some folks will start attacking character and at the same time spreading falsehood. Anyway congrates to them paid agents
Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by gebest: 11:11pm On Apr 23, 2016
vedaxcool:
I remember he also handed over an economy in the following happened:.
1. which GTbank threatened to close it doors because fuel scarcity had become so bad

2. MTN threatened same.

3. Obj handed him $30b he handed Buhari virtually nothing.
4. GEJ didn't make Nigerian economy African largest, in fact it is a culmulative of govts over the years most notably Obj who had steadily grew the economy. the rebasing of the economy would have been done during obj govt but he postponed it due to reasons like not wanting abacha to take credit for it.

5. GEJ handed an economy riddled with perpetual theft of govt money, till buhari blocked a major hole through TSA implementation.

6. GEJ handed over wobbly economy which has significantly begun contracting due to falls in oil price.

7. GEJ handed over a non functional economic crime commission which would thwart fraud etc.

8. GEJ also handed insecurity occassioned by deliberate looting of funds for arms procurement this made many investors scared of the country.
9. GEJ was a locusts govt for locusts by locusts.

many evils he handed over
obj/yaradua handed him $30b ECA nd $60b foreign reserve.

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan by Nobody: 11:13pm On Apr 23, 2016
lilprinze:
In less than a year that APC and buhari came in to power they have destroyed our economy.
[size=16pt]Nigerian youths need a dose of common sense instilled in them. How can you compare GEJ goverment when oil was over $100 dollar a barrel to Buhari goverment when oil is selling for $30 dollar per barrel
GEJ goverment earned 3X what is coming to the coffers of the current goverment yet during his 6 year reign no refinery is working and power generation did'nt improve.[/size]

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2)

Ekitigate: Former Senator Iyiola Omisore Arrested By EFCC Over N1.3billion Ekiti / Kogi In Disarray, I Weep For My Dear State. / What The North Must Do In Preparation For Separation - Yakasai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.