Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! - Religion (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! (34964 Views)

One Hallelujah Records Will Not Partner With Secular Artistes – RCCG / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? / Can I Listen To Secular Music/clubbing And Still Be A Devoted Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:43pm On May 07, 2016
JackBizzle:
Weird Atheism

Has anyone seen a dramatic change in lifestyle after becoming an atheist? I know different people have different reactions but here is mine;

After becoming an atheist-

1) I have become more thoughtful about things. But this has also made me moody. This is because I am starting to realise that life is unfair and that so many people waste their lives for useless things like religion and wars.

2) I'm more interested in science fiction and the supernatural. I keep wondering what is at the end of the universe. I consume horror and sci fi movies like a madman.

3) I'm a more curious person. Nowadays, I tend to demand for proof or more explanations for things.

4) I can't stop thinking about death and history. When it comes to death, I just wonder why we are here in the first place when it is so easy to die and never come back. As for history, I keep wondering about the generations before us. When I see an old house, I imagine the people who have lived there and died there.

5) Children. My love and pity for children has grown. I realised how much misinformation we are abused with as children. The religious indoctrination and the cultural taboos. I try to teach children whenever I have the chance.

6) Hatred. There is this hatred for deceivers and false prophets. There was a time I even sat next to a pastor. This guy was so fake with all his jewleries and he was talking to me gently. Despite his gentle approach, I moved away. I could not just stand his fakeness. The clown was talking humble but has jewelry worth millions on his hands and necks. I can't even listen to christian preaching anymore or even Nigerian politicians when they speak. They lie lie lie lie.

Have you guys changed in any way?

cc johnydon22, tufanja, hahn, sirwere, loj, dblackninja, plaetton, areaboy2, nihilist, kingebukasblog, wirinet, cloudgoddess, lepasharon, joseph1832, onetrack, herald9, urahara

Seriously

Keep fooling yourself and brainwashing the credulous .

There are millions of people whose lives have changed by truly accepting Christ - his life on earth was a quintessence of living a good life /

Armed robbers , prostitutes , drug addicts , homosexuals , atheists , the depressed , the poor , the stubborn , the weak , the sick ... just name it .

But dont stop the delusion and the lies , cos I'm relishing it !

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 7:55pm On May 07, 2016
dblackninja:
@ johnydon22 Finished reading about the Fermi's paradox. In a summary what's your take on the paradox. Do you accept Enrico Fermi's view?

My thoughts are

-If there actually are intelligent extra-terrestrials more advanced than us then they probably are ignoring us as we most likely are ignoring ants who we see less intelligent than us.

we can't teach ants physics as they won't understand so it's of no use. so myabe these being likely do see us as per their intellect the way we see ants in intellect.

- Technological intelligence is rare in the universe even at that considering the number of planets it could still amount to millions if not trillions if live evolved on other planets.

But may like us they are all young species still trying to figure out left from right and have not developed enough tech to explore deep space.

the possibilities are endless

Meanwhile I saw an article somewhere about the solutions to the paradox.

Whats your take on it, and what's this solution according to the article?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 9:35pm On May 07, 2016
urahara:

Seeing that life has to be made to count . life must be lived to the fullest since there is no after life

Of course.

However, living life to the fullest means different things to different people.

For instance, some hedonist would want to fvck women from all the continents in the world before he dies. Some would want to travel the world. Some would want to make a change in their society.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 9:39pm On May 07, 2016
herald9:

LOL.

So true.

In addition:

Everything about religion is quite surreal to me now. Whenever I hit the church, I don't seem to have any sense of belonging, it seems I'm just outside looking in.

I am more critical of every sermon; I dissect and analyse each of them which always make me chuckle, and at the same time, angry at how humans with brains could swallow such putrid without flinching.

I don't try to live good based on expected reward or to escape eternal punishment, I live good cause it'll help our continued existence.

I keep hoping that one day people will come to accept the world the way it is and stop living on sugar-coated reality painted by religion.

I'm moved by suffering and death. I sometimes wish I was a god....

Yeah, but for me, I find it hard to even stay in church. The bullshyte is too much!
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 9:47pm On May 07, 2016
hahn:

Yeah. Same here. However, I do not feel hatred. I feel a mixture of disgust and pity. Disgust at the pastor's obvious scam and pity for "believers" who have obviously been misinformed by society.

I am also more introspective and there is this necessity to only speak of what I am sure of and what I have researched.

I have also contemplated starting my own church. Money dey there oooo tongue

lol....church business is the only guaranteed profitable business in Nigeria.

As for hatred, come to the dark side. Hatred is stronger than love. The rage consumes. It causes wars and destroys enemies. Receive it!!! angry
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 9:50pm On May 07, 2016
Nihilist:

LOL

Long ago i made my peace with being a sinner and lecherous degenerate, unlikely to see or enter the kingdom of God whether I believed in him/her/it/them or not..

Im not particularly interested in science, don't really care much for the origin of our species, and have only mild envy of the lavish lifestyles of the pastorpreneurs.

I'm not looking for a deeper purpose to life and I'm not interested in the mysteries of the universe.

I just don't want to die. grin

See the fvcking hedonist!

You are not serious! grin
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by urahara(m): 9:54pm On May 07, 2016
JackBizzle:

Yeah, but for me, I find it hard to even stay in church. The bullshyte is too much!

Seconded.

The worst is when i have to go for night vigil prayer night

grin grin
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 9:57pm On May 07, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Seriously

Keep fooling yourself and brainwashing the credulous .

There are millions of people whose lives have changed by truly accepting Christ - his life on earth was a quintessence of living a good life /

Armed robbers , prostitutes , drug addicts , homosexuals , atheists , the depressed , the poor , the stubborn , the weak , the sick ... just name it .

But dont stop the delusion and the lies , cos I'm relishing it !

I couldn't care less about your religious blindness and your Christ.

In your religious blindness- atheists and homosexuals fit in with Armed robbers and drug addicts? Fundamentalist!!
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by urahara(m): 9:58pm On May 07, 2016
JackBizzle:

Of course.

However, living life to the fullest means different things to different people.

For instance, some hedonist would want to fvck women from all the continents in the world before he dies. Some would want to travel the world. Some would want to make a change in their society.

So true jack bizzle - san.

So i would like to ask

JAck bizzle

Johhny don 22

Hahn

Cloud godess

Plaetton

Sir were

And co

I ld like to adk u guys

What u see living life to the fullest is to u guys
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 9:58pm On May 07, 2016
urahara:

Seconded.

The worst is when i have to go for night vigil prayer night

grin grin

night vigil? I will just sleep!
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by urahara(m): 10:00pm On May 07, 2016
JackBizzle:

In your religious blindness- atheists and homosexuals fit in with Armed robbers and drug addicts? Fundamentalist!!

Arent u getting tired of replying this guy.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by urahara(m): 10:00pm On May 07, 2016
JackBizzle:

night vigil? I will just sleep!

Lool
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 10:01pm On May 07, 2016
johnydon22:

My thoughts are

-If there actually are intelligent extra-terrestrials more advanced than us then they probably are ignoring us as we most likely are ignoring ants who we see less intelligent than us.

we can't teach ants physics as they won't understand so it's of no use. so myabe these being likely do see us as per their intellect the way we see ants in intellect.

- Technological intelligence is rare in the universe even at that considering the number of planets it could still amount to millions if not trillions if live evolved on other planets.

But may like us they are all young species still trying to figure out left from right and have not developed enough tech to explore deep space.

the possibilities are endless

Whats your take on it, and what's this solution according to the article?

Do you know that the moment we meet with an intelligent life form from space, it is war? Especially if they have resources or we have resources they need?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by urahara(m): 10:06pm On May 07, 2016
JackBizzle:

Do you know that the moment we meet with an intelligent life form from space, it is war? Especially if they have resources or we have resources they need?

What if we meet them first and they are primitive .

We would

1. Give them religions .

2. Colonise them.

3. Cart away all their resources

4. Leave them 2 be fighting qbout d religions.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:18pm On May 07, 2016
JackBizzle:

javascript:void(0);

cool
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 10:18pm On May 07, 2016
urahara:

We would

1. Give them religions .

2. Colonise them.

That would likely happen if we could overpower them. And guess what? USA, China, Germany, UK, Japan would get most of the space resorces with Africa left in the dark.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by herald9: 10:18pm On May 07, 2016
JackBizzle:

I go there once in a while.

And even if I stay back, our house is an island -surrounded by churches.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 10:19pm On May 07, 2016
urahara:

Arent u getting tired of replying this guy.

I have hope for him
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 10:20pm On May 07, 2016
herald9:

I go there once in a while.

And even if I stay back, our house is an island -surrounded by churches.

Jesus! shocked

I hope they don't blast you with sermons through loudspeakers in the morning and night?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 10:22pm On May 07, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

cool

You like being a fundamentalist abi?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:31pm On May 07, 2016
JackBizzle:

You like being a fundamentalist abi?

I am not a fundamentalist .
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 10:39pm On May 07, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I am not a fundamentalist .

Then why do you sound like the Westboro baptist church?

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:47pm On May 07, 2016
JackBizzle:

Then why do you sound like the Westboro baptist church?

First , the word 'fundamentalist' is pejorative . I dont force my beliefs on people , instead I ridicule theirs especially when they claim theirs is rational . Fundamentalists believe that everything in the bible is literal , I believe that some are allegorical . Etc
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by herald9: 10:50pm On May 07, 2016
JackBizzle:

Jesus! shocked

I hope they don't blast you with sermons through loudspeakers in the morning and night?
Blast?

LOL. It's a war zone!

The worst is the wackiest church makes the loudest noise lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:52pm On May 07, 2016
JackBizzle:

I have hope for him

Lol bro ... from your specious arguments and illogical questions , I think Im the one who has hope for you . wink
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:57pm On May 07, 2016
urahara:

We would

1. Give them religions .

2. Colonise them.

considering that atheists and their myrmidons killed close to 240 million people , I think making them believe there is no God would be more effective . what do you think?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by seeker4life: 12:44am On May 08, 2016
urahara:

We would

1. Give them religions .

2. Colonise them.

Didn't know all u guys actually existed in Nigeria!!! tongue had to create an account today cos of u guys actually cos of cloudgoddes on a topic she commented on "the power of sex" grin at least u guys re able to ask rational questions and not be afraid about religion...hope we can really share our views and learn from each other......shoot Hv to go and sleep now church dis morning lol (African parents) grin grin wink
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 6:45am On May 08, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

First , the word 'fundamentalist' is pejorative . I dont force my beliefs on people , instead I ridicule theirs especially when they claim theirs is rational . Fundamentalists believe that everything in the bible is literal , I believe that some are allegorical . Etc

lol....fundamentalists take a very literal approach to the bible, which you do. They don't have to take everything in the bible to be literal, they just have to take enough. Also, fundamentalists take a conservative approach and do not respect other religions because their way is the only way.

What exactly is the difference between you and the westboro baptist church?

-you both hate homosexuals and atheists]
-you both believe christians are persecuted in a christian majority country
-you think christianity is superior to other religions and think that your bible should be the basis of morality.

The only difference is that you lack the balls to preach to people in real life. A cowardly thing given that your lord in the bible commands you to go out and preach the good word.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 6:48am On May 08, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Lol bro ... from your specious arguments and illogical questions , I think Im the one who has hope for you . wink

Go and read this thread from the beginning.

We have talked about time travel, space, alternate universes, paradoxes, time, God's omnipotence etc.

Going through your profile, it seems you need to appreciate intellectual discussions. There is a long way for you to go.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by hahn(m): 9:18am On May 08, 2016
urahara:

So true jack bizzle - san.

So i would like to ask

JAck bizzle

Johhny don 22

Hahn

Cloud godess

Plaetton

Sir were

And co

I ld like to adk u guys

What u see living life to the fullest is to u guys

It varies. Personally, I will like to launch an NGO and educate, feed, clothe and provide basic amenities for the less privileged in Africa. That is my dream. Being able to do that for at least 100 million people will definitely be "living life to the fullest" for me. smiley
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Areaboy2(m): 4:50pm On May 08, 2016
JackBizzle:
Weird Atheism

Has anyone seen a dramatic change in lifestyle after becoming an atheist? I know different people have different reactions but here is mine;

After becoming an atheist-

1) I have become more thoughtful about things. But this has also made me moody. This is because I am starting to realise that life is unfair and that so many people waste their lives for useless things like religion and wars.

2) I'm more interested in science fiction and the supernatural. I keep wondering what is at the end of the universe. I consume horror and sci fi movies like a madman.

3) I'm a more curious person. Nowadays, I tend to demand for proof or more explanations for things.

4) I can't stop thinking about death and history. When it comes to death, I just wonder why we are here in the first place when it is so easy to die and never come back. As for history, I keep wondering about the generations before us. When I see an old house, I imagine the people who have lived there and died there.

5) Children. My love and pity for children has grown. I realised how much misinformation we are abused with as children. The religious indoctrination and the cultural taboos. I try to teach children whenever I have the chance.

6) Hatred. There is this hatred for deceivers and false prophets. There was a time I even sat next to a pastor. This guy was so fake with all his jewleries and he was talking to me gently. Despite his gentle approach, I moved away. I could not just stand his fakeness. The clown was talking humble but has jewelry worth millions on his hands and necks. I can't even listen to christian preaching anymore or even Nigerian politicians when they speak. They lie lie lie lie.

Have you guys changed in any way?

cc johnydon22, tufanja, hahn, sirwere, loj, dblackninja, plaetton, areaboy2, nihilist, kingebukasblog, wirinet, cloudgoddess, lepasharon, joseph1832, onetrack, herald9, urahara

hmmmm. Been a while a said anything regarding religion on nairaland.
In line with the above, I don't really think I have changed much in any of the points listed above except No. 6. I've always not fancied them but currently loathe people deceiving others even when I'm sure they don't believe the crap they spit out.

I have always been curious about things and that is the main reason for my disbelieve in the "god" idea. I asked a question back in my uni S.U. days (brother Gus cheesy ) and till date, never got a satisfying answer. What is the purpose of life?. I came to the conclusion that just like the animals, there isn't a particular purpose. we are all just one part of a big system that needs the other to survive to an reasonable extent. Fortunately for us we have the intellectual capacity to even ask such questions.

So yea, I've always been kind, thoughtful and cheerful. Religion did not teach me any of that as it is just who I am.

On the flip side, I don't worry about death any more. Its inevitable and I just hope I can choose how I go. My friends know me for one annoying phrase....

"I've had a good run" smiley

Area_boy
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 5:45pm On May 08, 2016
Area!!! I salute. grin grin
muskeeto.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (23) (Reply)

Pastor Tim Omotoso Sexually Molests Church Members In South Africa / Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin Gives Leo Mezie N3 Million Naira For His Treatment / What I Think About Tattoos – Apostle Suleman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.