Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,026 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:52 PM

I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes (19175 Views)

What The Codes And Numbers On Your Car Tyres Mean And It's Importance / Flooded Vehicles: Here's What You Need To Know / Car Scanner /mechanic And How To Read The Codes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by cocoduck: 4:24pm On May 07, 2016
mayor2013:

Better to be used is carb cleaner
yes carb cleaner is good but don't go near the ignition coils with that, if not you will set the whole thing on fire,
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by mayor2013: 4:25pm On May 07, 2016
erico2k2:

yeh but if your car don't start you can't do that, if you don't have access to the pipes/lines you cant do it as well, grin grin

Depends on the nature of vacuum leak. In a case where the car runs rough then you can use a carb cleaner and spray around the suspected/affected area. Using a scanner to detect a vacuum leak makes you only grow old grin you would end up running around your tail unless on the condition that you have a complete diagnostic tester which is far frm what just a scanner does
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by cocoduck: 4:26pm On May 07, 2016
erico2k2:

Well I'm not suprised you use live data to get direction, Now just to explain more to you how do you use live data to get direction on a car which won't start or are we going to use water too? grin grin
before I start, what do you think LTFT and STFT are?
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by mayor2013: 4:30pm On May 07, 2016
cocoduck:

Are we talking about fuel trim here or you want to digress
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by cocoduck: 4:33pm On May 07, 2016
mayor2013:

Are we talking about fuel trim here or you want to digress
then how come you say live data is useless? Or you don't know what fuel trim is all about, have you forgotten the stoichiometric ratio of car engines?
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by erico2k2(m): 4:36pm On May 07, 2016
cocoduck:
ah na wah but we should not trail away from what we are talking about here
Long and short term fuel trim
But how does this affect the knock sensor angry angry
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by cocoduck: 4:42pm On May 07, 2016
all the codes the op listed affects the fuel trim on one way or the other,
when there is a vacuum leak it means there is unmetered air that made it into the engine, the fuel trim will adjust for that excess air which is verified by the o2 sensors by adding more fuel, I mean prolonging the injector pulses, till the mixture returns to the STOICIOMETRY, it shows that, when the stft begins to increase in percentage, whuch the ltft will follow later, at idle a vacuum leak is more evident, because there is little air inside the engine, but at WOT there is way more air and the ECU knows its a WOT so there will be longer injector pulses, with will diminish the effects of the excess air, so when you push down the throttle pedal and you see an improvement on the fuel trim, definitely it is a vacuum leak, and all these happen at close loop.
If you throttle the car and the fuel trim gets worse, it is either a dirty MAF or not enough fuel is making it,
this car might be running rich, we don't know, how do you know what the ECU is doing? is it not the fuel trim? Which is gotten from the live data.
All I want you guys to know is this, yes you have the code, but it is not enough, freer frame data and live data must be among, for proper diagnosis. That sets you apart from the shade tree mechanics, you are a scientist, not a cut and nail Id1ot
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by mayor2013: 4:43pm On May 07, 2016
cocoduck:
then how come you say live data is useless? Or you don't know what fuel trim is all about, have you forgotten the stoichiometric ratio of car engines?

And what about stoichiometric ratio? Next time when you see an 02 sensor fault error take it to be a vacuum leak. You would see canes flying left right and centre flogging you thoroughly angry
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by cocoduck: 4:54pm On May 07, 2016
mayor2013:

And what about stoichiometric ratio? Next time when you see an 02 sensor fault error take it to be a vacuum leak. You would see canes flying left right and centre flogging you thoroughly angry
any way there is a whole economy built upon the fact that the regular Joe will see an O2 code and run to buy an 02 sensor, I test the O2 sensor thoroughly before changing it, not after changing it, it come back to bit me.
But wait, what does it take to know if there is a vacuum leak, if you don't know how to do it you ask, na wa for African mechanics
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by erico2k2(m): 4:55pm On May 07, 2016
cocoduck:
all the codes the op listed affects the fuel trim on one way or the other,
when there is a vacuum leak it means there is unmetered air that made it into the engine, the fuel trim will adjust for that excess air which is verified by the o2 sensors by adding more fuel, I mean prolonging the injector pulses, till the mixture returns to the STOICIOMETRY, it shows that, when the stft begins to increase in percentage, whuch the ltft will follow later, at idle a vacuum leak is more evident, because there is little air inside the engine, but at WOT there is way more air and the ECU knows its a WOT so there will be longer injector pulses, with will diminish the effects of the excess air, so when you push down the throttle pedal and you see an improvement on the fuel trim, definitely it is a vacuum leak, and all these happen at close loop.
If you throttle the car and the fuel trim gets worse, it is either a dirty MAF or not enough fuel is making it,
this car might be running rich, we don't know, how do you know what the ECU is doing? is it not the fuel trim? Which is gotten from the live data.
All I want you guys to know is this, yes you have the code, but it is not enough, freer frame data and live data must be among, for proper diagnosis. That sets you apart from the shade tree mechanics, you are a scientist, not a cut and nail Id1ot
And the knock sensor?
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by cocoduck: 4:55pm On May 07, 2016
erico2k2:

ah na wah but we should not trail away from what we are talking about here
Long and short term fuel trim
But how does this affect the knock sensor angry angry
so its only the know sensor you see?
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by cocoduck: 4:56pm On May 07, 2016
erico2k2:
And the knock sensor?
please go back to my earlier posts,
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by mayor2013: 4:58pm On May 07, 2016
cocoduck:
any way there is a whole economy built upon the fact that the regular Joe will see an O2 code and run to buy an 02 sensor, I test the O2 sensor thoroughly before changing it, not after changing it, it come back to bit me.
But wait, what does it take to know if there is a vacuum leak, if you don't know how to do it you ask, na wa for African mechanics

Like I said earlier a complete diagnostic tester would help out for a vacuum leak not a scanner. Have you ever used a complete diagnostic tester? Am not talking scanner here
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by erico2k2(m): 4:59pm On May 07, 2016
cocoduck:
so its only the know sensor you see?
No if you check I interpreted all the codes for the OP, I mean ALL
read it again, did you see the P0180 and P0325 codes? what have they got to do with vacum leak?
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by cocoduck: 5:04pm On May 07, 2016
mayor2013:

Like I said earlier a complete diagnostic tester would help out for a vacuum leak not a scanner. Have you ever used a complete diagnostic tester? Am not talking scanner here
well one thing is that you lack the ability to read and comprehend, I use the scan tool to know exactly what the ECU is doing, then, if its a vacuum leak I use a smoke machine or any other means available to pinpoint where the leak is happening.
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by cocoduck: 5:07pm On May 07, 2016
mayor2013:

what is a complete diagnostic tool?
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by mayor2013: 5:12pm On May 07, 2016
cocoduck:

Visit my workshop and I would show you what one looks like
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by mayor2013: 5:16pm On May 07, 2016
cocoduck:
well one thing is that you lack the ability to read and comprehend, I use the scan tool to know exactly what the ECU is doing, then, if its a vacuum leak I use a smoke machine or any other means available to pinpoint where the leak is happening.

I beg to disagree, there is no need using a smoke machine since a scanner could help you trace a vacuum leak
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by erico2k2(m): 5:17pm On May 07, 2016
cocoduck:
those that cost up to N3m
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by erico2k2(m): 5:19pm On May 07, 2016
mayor2013:

I beg to disagree, there is no need using a smoke machine since a scanner could help you trace a vacuum leak
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by mayor2013: 5:22pm On May 07, 2016
erico2k2:

those that cost up to N3m

More than 3m.
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by cocoduck: 5:44pm On May 07, 2016
the best scan tool costs more than $20,000 (US), but all I need is Autel maxidas ds708 as a scan tool, then an oscilloscope and common sense, other tools are included too
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by kingreign(m): 5:47pm On May 07, 2016
cocoduck:

i've been observing you for long enough to finally conclude youre still a novice in automotive diagnosis and repair, yet you feel youve arrived at the zenith of what is what in auto diagnosis and repairs and you're aversive to advices.

imagine advocating for use of water in vacuum line? No go hydrolock engine of person wey get wahala pass you o.
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by erico2k2(m): 5:48pm On May 07, 2016
mayor2013:

More than 3m.
Even at that, you still cant do it all, I know BMW,MEr and Audi have specific scan tools for their dealerships only.
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by erico2k2(m): 5:51pm On May 07, 2016
kingreign:

i've been observing you for long enough to finally conclude youre still a novice in automotive diagnosis and repair, yet you feel youve arrived at the zenith of what is what in auto diagnosis and repairs and you're aversive to advices.

imagine advocating for use of water in vacuum line? No go hydrolock engine of person wey get wahala pass you o.
lol guy some people do use water, but it works in same theory as you use water to check air leak on a tyre tube when you imerse it o n soup water, U know how we dey do bike tube back in the days, but in this case U just spray soapy water o n the suspected areas and watch it bubble, but for me that's hard work.So its grandfather method lol probably B4 the smoke test.
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by mayor2013: 6:03pm On May 07, 2016
erico2k2:

Even at that, you still cant do it all, I know BMW,MEr and Audi have specific scan tools for their dealerships only.

Have worked with one that does it all. These you listed are still scanners but at dealership level.
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by cocoduck: 6:05pm On May 07, 2016
king rein and eric whatever whatever, I hate too much talk now watch how REAL professionals do it you quacks,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuod8-zFSQ4&itct=CCcQpDAYASITCPqn8eK2yMwCFddrHAodZk8Pi1IlaG93IHRvIHVzZSB3YXRlciB0byBmaW5kIHZhY3V1bSBsZWFrcw%3D%3D&client=mv-google&gl=US&hl=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI2o9YNZ2Y0&itct=CCUQpDAYAiITCPqn8eK2yMwCFddrHAodZk8Pi1IlaG93IHRvIHVzZSB3YXRlciB0byBmaW5kIHZhY3V1bSBsZWFrcw%3D%3D&client=mv-google&gl=US&hl=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxRBViOV6DE&itct=CB0QpDAYBiITCPqn8eK2yMwCFddrHAodZk8Pi1IlaG93IHRvIHVzZSB3YXRlciB0byBmaW5kIHZhY3V1bSBsZWFrcw%3D%3D&client=mv-google&gl=US&hl=en

What you don't know is greater than you are.
None of you proffered any solution to the op instead the mayor whatever whatever mocked him, and that is where all this nonsense started, we are all here to learn, if you find something strange ask questions, that is what makes you people humans!
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by cocoduck: 6:12pm On May 07, 2016
mayor whatever, are you better than Paul "scanner" Danner? He even wrote a book about these things, the book is called ENGINE MANAGEMENT DIAGNOSTICS, buy it, every reader is a leader, it is very clear I ahead of you guys. I have an alldata account, also Mitchell 1 account holder, I mean, I didn't want anybody to know but you guys made me spill the story
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by cocoduck: 6:20pm On May 07, 2016
I still dey wait ohhh
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by kingreign(m): 6:25pm On May 07, 2016
erico2k2:

lol guy some people do use water, but it works in same theory as you use water to check air leak on a tyre tube when you imerse it o n soup water, U know how we dey do bike tube back in the days, but in this case U just spray soapy water o n the suspected areas and watch it bubble, but for me that's hard work.So its grandfather method lol probably B4 the smoke test.

true that, but the way this cocoduckfowl cocoduck guy is going, he may actually pour large gulps of water inside the line. Thats why i gave a warning.
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by MPVGoddess: 6:28pm On May 07, 2016
erico2k2:

I have read all you have said, I think you are learning as we go which is good,you have realized you cant detect a vacuum leak via a scanner that was what mayor2013 was trying to correct you on, and also you can never use WATER to detect a vacuum leak NEVER(How would you fill the vacuum line that goes into your throttle body with water?) if you insist where are you going to put the water? don't forget vacuum means no air.
From all the codes up there, all he has to start with is inspect teh Knock sensor, if found bad change it then he takes it from there,
Just as a point to note, your live DATA does not give you repairs suggestion rather a flow chat of how things are working.The only thing that suggest a fault is your OBD11 fault code stored i n your ECU interpreted via ur scanner.

Now that you mention Knock sensor, not all knock sensor codes come from a faulty knock sensor.

I thought I had a faulty knock sensor, and so got a new one, still the codes would come back so I traced the wiring to the ECU and discovered that they were shot, so I can new wires to the knock sensor and the one I had in the car still worked, so I didn't have to use the new, point is, I recall that his vehicle was recently worked on, and several wiring gremlins appeared, so please rule out faulty wiring before getting a new knock sensor

1 Like

Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by cocoduck: 6:34pm On May 07, 2016
kingreign:

true that, but the way this cocoduckfowl cocoduck guy is going, he may actually pour large gulps of water inside the line. Thats why i gave a warning.
did you watch the video?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Facebook To Start Selling Cars From Next Week / Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! / Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.