Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,698 members, 7,809,642 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:25 PM

Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price (23112 Views)

Femi Falana Reacts To Obasanjo's Letter To Buhari / Femi Falana Reacts To Baru's Defense With Three Legal Arguments / Falana Reacts To Buhari's $29.960bn Loan Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by Monimatic(m): 5:57pm On May 12, 2016
Increment Of Fuel Price By Buhari Illegal, Insensitive, Immoral-Femi Falana SAN

Human rights lawyer and activist, Mr Femi Falana, SAN, has declared that the new fuel price regime from the Federal Government is illegal and lacks statutory power because the body, empowers to take such decision is yet to be constituted by the government.

According to him, the decision by the government was “immoral and insensitivity of the effect of fuel price increase on the people of Nigeria.”

He therefore urged the government to revert to the old pump price.

In a statement made available to Vanguard in Lagos, Falana argued that the increment was contrary to the interest and yearning of Nigerians for the further reduction of the fuel price.

Falana
He noted that the present administration acted contrary to its promises not to remove subsidy in order to inflict undue pains on Nigerians.

Beside, he said, the decision was wrong since the sole body statutorily responsible for fixing fuel price is not yet constituted, adding, the “unilateral decision of the Executive Secretary of the body to fix the pump price at N145 per litre is ultra vires and illegal in every material particular.”

He argued that since the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) empowered to recommend the price of petroleum products has not been reconstituted, such decision was wrong.

He added that: “In view of the illegality, insensitivity and immorality of the price increase the federal government should cancel it, revert to the status quo and consult widely with all relevant stakeholders in the society.”

Falana wondered why the increment when after the Directorate of Petroleum Resources (DPR) recently invited fresh bids for the setting up modular refineries, which resulted to licensing of 22 modular refineries “with combined capacities to refine 1.429 million barrels of crude oil per day. If the policy is genuinely pursued the construction of the refineries ought to be completed within the 9-12 months.

“If such refineries are established in the country the importation of fuel and the fraud associated with it will stop. In the interim, instead of importing oil from Europe and the United States the NNPC should refine crude oil for domestic consumption in neighbouring countries which have functional refineries. After all, Nigeria refines 60,000 barrels of crude oil per day in Cote d’ivoire which is not an oil producing nation.” He said.

He further argued that “If subsidy had been removed over a month ago and the country has been saving $2 billion (from fuel importation and subsidy removal) while the refineries are now working at full capacity Dr. Kachukwu should tell Nigerians the justification for the new removal of fuel subsidy announced by him yesterday.

“The cost elements that make up the N145 are provocative. If the total landing cost of a litre and other charges are fixed at N138 what is the basis of fixing the price at N145? For goodness sake, why should motorists be made to pay NPA/NIMASA charges, within and without storage/ bridging charges etc?”

He therefore submitted that the decision will have virile effect on the people and the economic.

He noted that increasing the price without any public debate or consultation with relevant stakeholders whatsoever the federal government took the Nigerian people by surprise.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/increment-fuel-price-fg-illegal-falana/

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by chriskosherbal(m): 6:00pm On May 12, 2016
I believe as a country we will get through this.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by hungryboy(m): 6:01pm On May 12, 2016
What is happening is a fulfillment of that saying that,

'the devil you know, is better than the angel you do not know.

112 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by FohowNigeria: 6:07pm On May 12, 2016
When shall we have a leader that will lessen the burden of the common masses?

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by Monimatic(m): 6:14pm On May 12, 2016
chriskosherbal:
Story for the gods
How do u expect people living on minimum wage and millions of Civil Servants and unemployed citizens to get through this wickedness without any increment in their Income.
Let's be truthful with ourselves for once.
Everything is going up in Nigeria, but Income(Salary/Wages) is not going up...this is WICKEDNESS.

92 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by phlemzy: 6:16pm On May 12, 2016
No right thinking activist that has the masses at heart will support this degree of hardship. Its so unfortunate. Truth remains that we will have this to deal with till the year Dangote will commission his refinery in Nigeria. As for Kaduna, Warri, and PHC refineries, their stories will remain the same becos they are old & inefficient. As for Tam-West that did some faulty analysis and promised that fuel would be sold at N40, he was just a tool to achieve victory. What I long to know is:-
From which continent do marketers import the fuel they supply Nigerians that it costs about N106/litre to bring to the shores of Nigeria before adding other costs knowing fully well that the price of crude still hovers way below $50/barrel?

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by hazyfm: 6:17pm On May 12, 2016
chriskosherbal:

I BU -LIEVE

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by youngeagle(m): 6:19pm On May 12, 2016
One day the coockey gonna crumble and everybody will want a crumb.
Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by cornoil(m): 6:20pm On May 12, 2016
NotJustOok.
Mr Cool

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by Jirate(m): 6:23pm On May 12, 2016
He argued that since the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) empowered to recommend the price of petroleum products has not been reconstituted, such decision was wrong.
Tomorrow, Zombies will come and say Buhari is a Man of Integrity. “Integrity my Foot”. cool

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by Montaque(m): 6:26pm On May 12, 2016
Mr. Falana, you are in london with Mr. President, tell him personally. Dont sing songs of regret to us

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by dBard: 6:31pm On May 12, 2016
hungryboy:
What is happening is making is a fulfillment of that saying that,

'the devil you know, is better than the angel you do not know.

Also, 'A leopard doesn't change it's spots'..

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by idensko(m): 6:42pm On May 12, 2016
Wetin dis monkey dey talk,

Oga u re no more relevant in dis country, since u collided to over throw Nigeria best leader

M sure it's ur conscience fightn back.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by Dosinspector(m): 6:47pm On May 12, 2016
Buhari played Nigerians a game called Visual in bet9ja aka Ogbungwangwa!!!!!!!!

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by mrvitalis(m): 6:58pm On May 12, 2016
Someone is seeking cheap poblicity

If u feel removal of subsidy is bad I challenge u to a debate
Let's see how sensible u will sound

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by dunkem21(m): 7:00pm On May 12, 2016
mrvitalis:

You no challenge anybody to a debate in 2012 undecided

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by petrov10: 7:12pm On May 12, 2016
Buhari. Yeye pretender

140 ? Politics aside. This is absurd

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by seunmsg(m): 7:14pm On May 12, 2016
mrvitalis:

Nobody is seeking cheap publicity on this matter let alone, a very revered personality like Femi Falana.

Increasing fuel price to N145 in a country where the minimum wage is N18k is callous, insensitive and criminal. Nigerians are already facing too much economic hardship, increasing the pump price by over 70% is asking the Nigerian people to take too much suffering.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by petrov10: 7:16pm On May 12, 2016
mrvitalis:

oga deebater. U want to deebate again abi

All the debaate you debated the last time subsidy was removed hasn't do you yet ?

I wonder the side you would be on this time

Supretendent of debate. Nonsense

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by petrov10: 7:23pm On May 12, 2016
seunmsg:

Nobody is seeking cheap publicity on this matter let alone, a very revered personality like Femi Falana.

Increasing fuel price to N145 in a country where the minimum wage is N18k is callous, insensitive and criminal. Nigerians are already facing too much economic hardship, increasing the pump price by over 70% is asking the Nigerian people to take too much suffering.
You ? Buhari rilly Bleep up this time

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by Jesusloveyou: 8:05pm On May 12, 2016
dBard:

Also, 'A leopard doesn't change it's spots'..
but pmb has given u ipod the change u so desire, when pat utomi and ezekwesili,were accusing him of taken us 30yrs back with his archaic policy, falana were sleeping, when u ipod were insulting pmb everyday for his hard stand, u ipod join imf and world bank to accuse him of not devalueing everything. i tot u ipod should be happy. God bless pmb for listening to the masses cry, especially the ipod 5% wailers.

1 Like

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by free13: 9:14pm On May 12, 2016
Is falana also wailing? grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by gidimasters(m): 10:38pm On May 12, 2016
my signature
Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by CaptainBomb(m): 10:39pm On May 12, 2016
Shut up sir
Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by livingoracle: 10:39pm On May 12, 2016
#WHERE ARE ALL THE #CELEBRITIES WHO PROTESTED AGAINST #JONATHAN'S FUEL #SUBSIDY REMOVAL IN 2012?

WHY HAVE THEY ALL GONE MUTE?

HOW MUCH IS THEIR ACTIONS AND SPEAKING OUT WORTH SO THAT NIGERIANS CAN PAY FOR IT?

IS THIS A CASE OF HYPER HYPOCRISY?

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by Nobody: 10:39pm On May 12, 2016
I can't pretend that this fuel increase doesn't bother me- it does and it does bother me a lot. I am a proponent of removal of subsidy it's just that I believe that timing is everything. Even a good thing can be bad if improperly timed. Now it's probably the worst time to have done this. I don't know about you but this year has been very tough! I speak as an employer of Labour and also an employee myself and business has been very tough ( again I don't know about you) .
I won't bore you with indicators such as job cuts across banks, FMCGs, telcos and other
manufacturing companies... At last count it's
running into 25,000 job cuts in Lagos alone! But rather I want to zoom into the plight of low earning staff who will have to pay twice the price to transport themselves to work and back, their children's feeding and transportation and ofcourse pay more as tariffs for Electricity which is virtually nonexistent- I gave one of my interns a task to do and he came back the following day and said he couldn't complete it becos they had no electricity...and I couldn't fault him- that is the
plight of many of our people ... But just as one is trying to " gird his economic loins" this bombshell of fuel price increase drops and I was just speechless... Speechless because it means our workers will have to pay more for everything as fuel in Nigeria affects everything -food, clothes, electricity ( Petrol generators) , transportation and ultimately with no corresponding increase in salaries -the very mental and physical health of our people.
I won't say pray for Nigeria, this one pass
prayer...But no doubt if the people are pushed to the wall it's only a matter of time something has to give....
The removal of the subsidy was inevitable but I just wished it was delayed until local refineries were sorted, the budget /money had circulated into the system, power generation was suitably improved so that the effects wouldn't be that harsh on our people....
I just wish.......

6 Likes

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by priscaoge(f): 10:40pm On May 12, 2016

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by Dahkogrin007(m): 10:40pm On May 12, 2016
D goats and dogs are now talking
Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by KingPharaoh(m): 10:41pm On May 12, 2016
Is this man not Falz's dad?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by Nobody: 10:43pm On May 12, 2016
Monimatic:

Story for the gods
How do u expect people living on minimum wage and millions of Civil Servants and unemployed citizens to get through this wickedness without any increment in their Income.
Let's be truthful with ourselves for once.
Everything is going up in Nigeria, but Income(Salary/Wages) is not going up...this is WICKEDNESS.

And i bet u the more salary/wages increase the more the inflation on prices on goods
Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by olamds(m): 10:44pm On May 12, 2016
Hope We Are Just JoooooooooKiiiinnnngggg?
Re: Femi Falana Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price by Whizzdom(m): 10:44pm On May 12, 2016
ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP Supports Melaye, Urges Members To Vote Against His Recall / Battle For Saraki’s Seat / 2019 Elections: Ex-CBN Governors On 1000 Notes Speak In Edited Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.