Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,894 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:33 AM

Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late (20100 Views)

Fayose’s Kangaroo Panel Recommendations, A Joke Taken Too Far / "Reported Release Of Kabiru Sokoto: Hatred For President Buhari Taken Too Far" / Subsidy Removal: A Thread For Occupy Nigeria Season 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by gerrardomendes(m): 11:38am On May 13, 2016
ok
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by FLYFIRE(m): 11:40am On May 13, 2016
neolboy:
Everybody just spewing rubbish since yesterday
After they have eaten aisha jollof rice. God will judge them.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by bolajoseph01(m): 11:41am On May 13, 2016
nice write up. I knew it long ago dat one day subsidy on oil will be removed ..let's hope for a beta country
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Achillesdam500(m): 11:41am On May 13, 2016
Nice thread I love this.But the op really mad a big mistake the Yoruba grammar for this ain't e kuu subsidy o "A kuu subsidy" all the way. grin shocked
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by iukpe: 11:42am On May 13, 2016
I SUPPORT THE SUBSIDY REMOVAL. THE SUBSIDY WILL NEVBER STOP SCARCITY, KILL THE BLACK MARKET OR HELP OUR ECONOMY IN ANY WAY. NIGERIANS WILL LIVE UP TO IT, I TRUST.
ALL WE NEED IS A MOVE FORWARD AFTER SUBSIDY REMOVAL, AND A POSITIVE ONE.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Opharhe: 11:46am On May 13, 2016
This situation is saddening i must say. My Urhobo people have a saying 'Iri miovwe uyovwi ghwu nure, a ke rhere erhan' i.e 'it's after the death of the unlucky ones that the war shrines a revived'. I totally agree with you OP.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Gasout(m): 11:46am On May 13, 2016
It is not as if people did not know removal of fuel subsidy in 2012 was a right decision... but people protested because of insincerity of people in power...

Now that the subsidy is successfully removed; only a fool would protest against it...
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by iswallker(m): 11:48am On May 13, 2016
Goddex:
What Buhari has done is to increase fuel price to raise more money. There is nothing like subsidy removal.

It's a shame Buhari's FG keeps deceiving Nigerians with lies.

correct... sad

its a price adjustment not a subsidy removal or deregulation as they call it...

they did not need to fix a ceiling of 145. simply deregulate and let market forces determine the price...

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by guente02(m): 11:49am On May 13, 2016
Agimor:
Better late than never.
Never late is better.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Almajiri1: 11:49am On May 13, 2016
APC and Buhari must first tender a national apology before we decide to move forward.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Okbath(m): 11:51am On May 13, 2016
JONATHAN wasn't autocratic in his administration, had it been GEJ resisted the oppositions of the likes of : tinubu, west, amechi, fashola, okorocha etc Nigeria would have saved #5trillion since 2012 , plus rapid economic transformation like foreign investors siting refineries here in nigeria. Now buharis autocracy has mistakenly trail back to GEJs initiative we all ought to embrace it because two wrongs never make a right, and history reserves credit to GEJs economic team.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by ba7man(m): 11:55am On May 13, 2016
GEJ's administration would have also looted any money saved by removal of subsidy due to his laxity towards corruption.

Right decision, wrong administration back then....... right decision, right administration currently.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Wisdomkosi(m): 11:55am On May 13, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Well..one thing that OP forgets is that in 2012....WE HAD THE MONEY TO FUND THE SUBSIDY.

In 2016....we do not have the money

The problem with the OP is that he wants us to spend money we do not have to keep the subsidy going. That means only one thing...more loans.

OP's analysis is flawed.

Keep quiet and learn from your elders

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by hardcorevin(m): 11:57am On May 13, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Well..one thing that OP forgets is that in 2012....WE HAD THE MONEY TO FUND THE SUBSIDY.

The problem with the OP is that he wants us to spend money we do not have to keep the subsidy going. That means only one thing...more loans.

OP's analysis is flawed.

Buhari has done what GEJ did and people are calm,no protest,some said Subsidy Removal is the best,then u ask ur self:
1.Were did Jonatan go Wrong..
2.Did he not senitise us about the subsidy Before removal
3.Was the whole subsidy not aired on NTA to create awareness
What then makes Buharis own so special?,Maybe he is the messiah....
Some Nigerian are ‪#‎ Hypocrites‬simple,i Rest my case!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by bcardastro: 11:57am On May 13, 2016
Kayendy:
I don't support this Buhari's administration at all but this subsidy removal is a hard step in the right direction for our dear country. Pls let us all not base our judgement on its failure in the last administration as we all know it was politically motivated, rather we should all focus on the advantage of it.. very soon, the price of fuel will be determined by the law of demand and supply thereby reducing the price from the govt regulated price and when our refineries start working including Dagote's, we might end up buying fuel as low as #100.. furthermore, it encourages more private refineries to be constructed in the country or do we think only Dangote has the money for it?.
if an educated man couldn't do how can an illiterate accomplish it
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Godseed: 11:57am On May 13, 2016
Oh dear. I just wish Nigerians stop this annoying attitude of 'we against them'. I didn't want Jonathan to continue neither was i convinced that Buhari was the answer. If there was anything voting out the last administration achieved, it was to tell every politician that the masses have the final say. The same brooms(not APC's) that swept out Jonathan are well preserved and can again and again clean out aso rock irrespective of the occupants. Let's stop the gloating, support right initiatives of the government and resist collectively the detrimental ones. Stop the factionalism. Support the nation not the regime.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by ba7man(m): 11:57am On May 13, 2016
Okbath:
JONATHAN wasn't autocratic in his administration, had it been GEJ resisted the oppositions of the likes of : tinubu, west, amechi, fashola, okorocha etc Nigeria would have saved #5trillion since 2012 , plus rapid economic transformation like foreign investors siting refineries here in nigeria. Now buharis autocracy has mistakenly trail back to GEJs initiative we all ought to embrace it because two wrongs never make a right, and history reserves credit to GEJs economic team.
Saved? Has GEJ had any history of saving? More like plundering you mean.

More money to be looted under him. Even the partial removal of subsidy under him was looted under SURE-P.

Why are we so forgetful?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by chronique(m): 12:00pm On May 13, 2016
You're very correct;there should be no price cap. I bought @ #150/ltr yesterday;not even 145.
PROPHETmichael:

When GEJ removed subsidy in 2012 and suggested that the price of PMS will go up to N120, some people organised occupy Nigeria. Four years down the line, Buhari is repeating the very same thing with higher scourge of proposed N145 per litre and no one is talking. I am happy we have learnt the hard way to think before opposing policies.
However, I have a concern here. Why must this govt tell lies to Nigerians? I have said it over and over again that you cannot remove subsidy and have official price. Petrol is not different from egusi or rice marketing. You can only have official price if you regulate the price of production and wholesale price. If you do not, then it is to whom it may concern.
What subsidy does is to equalise cost and defray excesses on the part of marketers and make it feasible for them to profitably sell the commodity at the same price. If you remove subsidy, you must remove official pump price because you cannot equalise the cost with mouth. people import petrol from all over the world giving rice to differences in landing prices due to freight costs, distances etc.
We must complete the truth and stop playing politics with numbers. People should be told that they are on their own. If you pull up in a garage forecourt, take a glance on the price, if what is there, or what the pump attendant tells you is the price is OK by you, fill up and go your way, if not, go to another station. This is how we buy everything in Nigeria and all over the world. Enough of politics of numbers.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Nobody: 12:00pm On May 13, 2016
hardcorevin:

Buhari has done what GEJ did and people are calm,no protest,some said Subsidy Removal is the best,then u ask ur self:

Subsidy removal in 2012 was a good idea.....Nigerians protested because they could not see the long term benefits...all they saw was that prices are going up.

What is different this time is that we now have the added reason of there not being enough money for the subsidy. If you recall...we had higher oil prices in 2012...than we do today...and thus more revenue..which is why subsidy backers like PMB and Tinubu have seen the light. Add the fact that our artificially low price was encouraging marketers to smuggle oil to neighbouring countries...where they could sell for higher and make a profit.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by ba7man(m): 12:00pm On May 13, 2016
hardcorevin:

GEJ's administration could not be trusted to do anything meaningful with the money.

It would have been looted under him.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by ba7man(m): 12:01pm On May 13, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Subsidy removal in 2012 was a good idea.....Nigerians protested because they could not see the long term benefits...all they saw was that prices are going up.

What is different this time is that we now have the added reason of there not being enough money for the subsidy. If you recall...we had higher oil prices in 2012...than we do today...and thus more revenue..which is why subsidy backers like PMB and Tinubu have seen the light. Add the fact that our artificially low price was encouraging marketers to smuggle oil to neighbouring countries...where they could sell for higher and make a profit.
They protested because they didn't trust that administration and they were right.

All they did was loot the nation dry.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Nobody: 12:09pm On May 13, 2016
Wisdomkosi:
Keep quiet and learn from your elders

And you have a pleasant afternoon, squire.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by 9jalyte: 12:10pm On May 13, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

OP's analysis is flawed.

Bingo! I have seen one of them. Those that criticize by default without reasoning, those that draw their swords at the mention of PMB, those that are most affected by the charms of the spin doctors. Look at him, claiming the OP suggested that subsidy be retained. I salut you sir, and I ask "how market".

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by petokey: 12:12pm On May 13, 2016
If i have survived the pain of purchasing fuel for 200/litre a month ago. So whats the big deal if it is now 145/litre.
What are we scared of that we haven't already experienced?

It takes a strong man to make a tough decision, but it takes the strongest man to maintain his decision against all odds.
God bless Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by jmaine: 12:13pm On May 13, 2016
ba7man:
GEJ's administration could not be trusted to do anything meaningful with the money.

It would have been looted under him.

Yet Buhari can be trusted ? What manner of hypocrisy.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by hustla(m): 12:15pm On May 13, 2016
Oga make we hear word jare
Jonathan couldn't be trusted with something like the removal of subsidy, there was already so much scam and looting with his tenure that to now place that much in trillions at his disposal after the removal of subsidy will still enrich a few pockets still. Means nothing will change for the average Nigerian.

It's the right time to remove it and from ur write up, that professor that said fuel shouldn't be more than 50 naira is right. If the trillions are diverted into making maybe 30 refineries for Nigeria, the price of fuel will plummet as it will be readily available everywhere without being subject to imports again. Reviews have to be made as regards the minimum wage also to Cushion the effects of the oil price surge and to be fair, i haven't seen anyone who bought fuel for 86 naira in quite a long time so we were already adjusting to it.

Op also forgot to mention how much crude oil was being sold for per barrel then. If Gej couldnt do much with so much available, how come you want to blame buhari that's selling for about $40 per barrel now?

Call a spade a spade. We're still seeing the probes by efcc unto the colossal scam and chop make I chop associated With that Nitwits tenure. Will take years of planning and hardwork to fix 9ja by an improved 40 percent sef not to talk of 70 percent.

God bless Nigeria, We will get there
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by ba7man(m): 12:19pm On May 13, 2016
jmaine:

Yet Buhari can be trusted ? What manner of hypocrisy.
He's not defending corruption up and down like GEJ.

People are being prosecuted, fraud cases are being exposed, the Senate is being tackled for budget padding for the first time.

I trust him better with funds than GEJ that criminals were buying private jets with his help.

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Nobody: 12:20pm On May 13, 2016
PROPHETmichael:

When GEJ removed subsidy in 2012 and suggested that the price of PMS will go up to N120, some people organised occupy Nigeria. Four years down the line, Buhari is repeating the very same thing with higher scourge of proposed N145 per litre and no one is talking. I am happy we have learnt the hard way to think before opposing policies.
However, I have a concern here. Why must this govt tell lies to Nigerians? I have said it over and over again that you cannot remove subsidy and have official price. Petrol is not different from egusi or rice marketing. You can only have official price if you regulate the price of production and wholesale price. If you do not, then it is to whom it may concern.
What subsidy does is to equalise cost and defray excesses on the part of marketers and make it feasible for them to profitably sell the commodity at the same price. If you remove subsidy, you must remove official pump price because you cannot equalise the cost with mouth. people import petrol from all over the world giving rice to differences in landing prices due to freight costs, distances etc.
We must complete the truth and stop playing politics with numbers. People should be told that they are on their own. If you pull up in a garage forecourt, take a glance on the price, if what is there, or what the pump attendant tells you is the price is OK by you, fill up and go your way, if not, go to another station. This is how we buy everything in Nigeria and all over the world. Enough of politics of numbers.

No name calling, do you honestly think that with the subsidy removal, if the marketers are allowed to regulate the price themselves, that they can't all agree and choose a arbitrary figure say 200 naira/litre and sell it Nigerians? That is where PPPRA comes in. There should be a price ceiling, you can sell for less but not more. And should there be a change in the dollar-naira exchange rate (upward or downward review), then PPPRA can meet with the marketers to change the price. Nigeria is too corrupt to leave everything solely in the hands of the marketers, that cabal won't hesitate to sell fuel at 300naira if they are given freedom... so I think there should always be an agreeable price ceiling

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by aleshmotors: 12:22pm On May 13, 2016
When PMB implemented TSA and it worked,all of u GEJ jeites insisted it was d policy initative of GEJ and not that of PMB and as such should not take d credit. Now since it is also widely known that subsidy removal is d policy initiative of GEJ why are u now blaming PMB for imlemnting it. Double standard or Selective morality? Note I am not a politician just a food for thought
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by hmuhammad(m): 12:22pm On May 13, 2016
fitinwell:
[size=28pt]Op, i dont know where your facts where drawn from.. Dis same PMB buhari once said on Aired CNN dat he doesn't know the meaning of subsidy.. That when he was a minister of petroleum.. Back 1984 all the refineries where working and there was no subsidy at that time.. I believe is lying crab.. And voted him in by monitoring my vote for dis old man.. Now he doesn't consider.. The Nigerian youths.. The hell we all have been going through daily.. No job, no food, no power supply.. One thing i hate dis Nigerian constitution for.. We believed trash.. And we dont have Back up.. Plan.. My heart aches just thinking about the Name Nigeria and its One sided policies . embarassed[/size]
my own heart de ache like say my woman leave me for another person cry
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by ba7man(m): 12:23pm On May 13, 2016
hustla:
Oga make we hear word jare
Jonathan couldn't be trusted with something like the removal of subsidy, there was already so much scam and looting with his tenure that to now place that much in trillions at his disposal after the removal of subsidy will still enrich a few pockets still. Means nothing will change for the average Nigerian.

It's the right time to remove it and from ur write up, that professor that said fuel shouldn't be more than 50 naira is right. If the trillions are diverted into making maybe 30 refineries for Nigeria, the price of fuel will plummet as it will be readily available everywhere without being subject to imports again. Reviews have to be made as regards the minimum wage also to Cushion the effects of the oil price surge and to be fair, i haven't seen anyone who bought fuel for 86 naira in quite a long time so we were already adjusting to it.

Op also forgot to mention how much crude oil was being sold for per barrel then. If Gej couldnt do much with so much available, how come you want to blame buhari that's selling for about $40 per barrel now?

Call a spade a spade. We're still seeing the probes by efcc unto the colossal scam and chop make I chop associated With that Nitwits tenure. Will take years of planning and hardwork to fix 9ja by an improved 40 percent sef not to talk of 70 percent.

God bless Nigeria, We will get there
I wonder if their brains functions were on pause when it was general knowledge that GEJ nearly ran the nation aground.

As if it wasn't during his last days the nation was almost at a halt. We're still trying to recover from it.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by jmaine: 12:27pm On May 13, 2016
ba7man:
He's not defending corruption up and down like GEJ.

People are being prosecuted, fraud cases are being exposed, the Senate is being tackled for budget padding for the first time.

I trust him better with funds than GEJ that criminals were buying private jets with his help.

Spare me the bullcrap please. All what you listed are just mere lullabies meant to lull ediots to sleep. When GEJ hiked the price of pms, his rating was high. The citizens revolted for obvious reasons which are present today e.g Timing, lack of adequate palliatives and distrust for the Nigerian government in general.

Now tell me what is different ?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Benue Killings: Jang Blasts Lalong Over Comments Against Ortom / Okezie Ikpeazu Shares Free Kerosene In Abia Ahead Of Governorship Election / NECO Registrar, Godswill Obioma Died Of Natural Causes - Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.