Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,796 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late (20099 Views)

Fayose’s Kangaroo Panel Recommendations, A Joke Taken Too Far / "Reported Release Of Kabiru Sokoto: Hatred For President Buhari Taken Too Far" / Subsidy Removal: A Thread For Occupy Nigeria Season 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Nobody: 12:27pm On May 13, 2016
1money:
Good message, well written. But I still believe that the protests should go on to show this govt that they can't take us for a ride. They can't just wake up one morning and remove the subsidy. They should have consulted with Nigerians first, provided palliative measures, waited until things got better a bit, etc.

If we keep quiet now, they'll keep bringing up useless n wasteful policies, because nobody will talk or do anything.

Save it.

Remove subsidy and build Refinery.

By importation we create job for foreign refining countries while we pay through our nose even with a towering unemployment.

What a wasted generation.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Praktikals(m): 12:28pm On May 13, 2016
Nice write-up, but you can't blame the Nigerians who resisted the move in 2012. The average Nigerian was/is more concerned about what happens to the money that will be saved through subsidy removal.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by ba7man(m): 12:30pm On May 13, 2016
jmaine:

Spare me the bullcrap please. All what you listed are just mere lullabies meant to lull ediots to sleep. When GEJ hiked the price of pms, his rating was high. The citizens revolted for obvious reasons which are present today e.g Timing, lack of adequate palliatives and distrust for the Nigerian government in general.

Now tell me what is different ?
Spare me your bullcrap too.

Your Crap makes meaning to only daft people that see a daft man like GEJ and call him a hero.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by jmaine: 12:33pm On May 13, 2016
ba7man:
Spare me your bullcrap too.

Your Crap makes meaning to only daft people that see a daft man like GEJ and call him a hero.

Spoken like a true zombie who doesn't know when to draw the line for common sense reasoning. Am all for subsidy removal whether in 2012 and now. But shameless hypocrites like you deserve not to populate the earth with your kind.

A daft man like GEJ provided numerous template your dull God from Daura is busy implementing. What a shame.

6 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by ba7man(m): 12:38pm On May 13, 2016
jmaine:

Spoken like a true zombie who doesn't know when to draw the line for common sense reasoning. Am all for subsidy removal whether in 2012 and now. But shameless hypocrites like you deserve not to populate the earth with your kind.

A daft man like GEJ provided numerous template your dull God from Daura is busy implementing. What a shame.
Ok...... now run off with your rejected daft god, GEJ and go do something daft with your time.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Ogedo(m): 12:40pm On May 13, 2016
MY TAKE IS ON THE HEADLINE, SUBSIDY REMOVAL. A GOOD DECISION TAKEN TOO LATE. WHAT MAKES IT LATE. THIS WAS REMOVES ON JANUARY 2012 AND DE WHOLE NIGERIANS MOBILLISED AND BLOCKED OJOTA. THINKING THOSE THAT MOBILSED U HAD GOOD INTENTION. WHAT DID THEY JUST DO NOW
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by jmaine: 12:42pm On May 13, 2016
ba7man:
Ok...... now run off with your rejected daft god, GEJ and go do something daft with your time.

When challenged in a discourse, your dumbness just like your cattle rearing daura God aggressively shows forth. Stay in the shadows like you have always done and don't ever seek to project your shallow depth confidently.

You are excused.

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by ba7man(m): 12:46pm On May 13, 2016
jmaine:

When challenged in a discourse, your dumbness just like your cattle rearing daura God aggressively shows forth. Stay in the shadows like you have always done and don't ever seek to project your shallow depth confidently.

You are excused.
Its You and your mumu GEJ that has been kicked into the shadows.

You can only wish and sulk from the hole you're in.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by kalohkaloh: 12:47pm On May 13, 2016
The write up is rubbish! Ignorance is killing us in this country. Fraudsters took advantage of the susidy policy, in league with Jonathan's officials, to rip off the treasury few years back. Rather than this writer leading a protest to accelerate the trial of subsidy thieves so that our money can be recovered and the thieves jailed, he is busy doing a jaundiced analysis. Mark my word, the wicked marketers behind fuel scarcity will come back soon to ask for higher price! Cost of living will hit the roof. The social cost of the removal will be higher than the expected savings! Respite will only come when local refining capacity is shored up. This is why Dangote and other modular refineries should be supported to come on stream quickly. Before then, government must subsidize petrol price and manage it transparently and efficiently.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by jmaine: 12:50pm On May 13, 2016
ba7man:
Its You and your mumu GEJ that has been kicked into the shadows.

You can only wish and sulk from the hole you're in.

GEJ has been kicked into the shadows yet you will seek to blame him when you can't impregnate your wife or even get an erection. . . .How sad and shameless . . . . . GEJ is busy enjoying himself while Buhari is daily proving to be a confused stark ediot like we always knew.

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Ahmedhussain3463: 12:50pm On May 13, 2016
1money:
Good message, well written. But I still believe that the protests should go on to show this govt that they can't take us for a ride. They can't just wake up one morning and remove the subsidy. They should have consulted with Nigerians first, provided palliative measures, waited until things got better a bit, etc.

If we keep quiet now, they'll keep bringing up useless n wasteful policies, because nobody will talk or do anything.
wow well said ,bt consider wht d writer said,dt d removal of subsidy is a good decision taken too late|and his tune shows is nt a buharist.protest from nw till 2019 our presidnt will nt rescind his action we all knws him
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Ahmedhussain3463: 12:52pm On May 13, 2016
Goddex:
What Buhari has done is to increase fuel price to raise more money. There is nothing like subsidy removal.

It's a shame Buhari's FG keeps deceiving Nigerians with lies.
lol,pls join d protest if u are nt convince wit dis write up dt d removal is a good decision taken too late
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Ahmedhussain3463: 12:57pm On May 13, 2016
nice one buhari ,i support d idea under jonathan den bt i dnt trust him wit public fund becos substatively e dnt decide hw money shuld b spent
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by ba7man(m): 1:02pm On May 13, 2016
jmaine:

GEJ has been kicked into the shadows yet you will seek to blame him when you can't impregnate your wife or even get an erection. . . .How sad and shameless . . . . . GEJ is busy enjoying himself while Buhari is daily proving to be a confused stark ediot like we always knew.
The effects of his daft decisions and actions is still lingering over this nation.

He should be arrested and if his followers protest publicly e.g. you, they should be arrested and flogged. cheesy cheesycheesy
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by jmaine: 1:05pm On May 13, 2016
ba7man:
The effects of his daft decisions and actions is still lingering over this nation.

He should be arrested and if his followers protest publicly e.g. you, they should be arrested and flogged. cheesy cheesycheesy

Tell your dumb God to arrest him if he has the balls. It's already a year, yet zombies blame him for your laziness to sit down and be productive. What a shame.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Zubeetex: 1:06pm On May 13, 2016
In my humble opinion, this is the most lucid and well articulated write ups i have seen since the inception of the arguments on subsidy removal. OP, i love your write up and it shows you have constantly followed the political history of our beloved country. Bravo.
Notwithstanding the diverse opinion of others, my opinion is simply that there is no point postponing the evil day. Though i did not vote PMB, but i so much welcome this policy because its advantages out-wares the negatives. The only disagreement i have with the new pump price is that there is no follow up plan to beef up the minimum wage to at least if not equilibrate with that of other OPEC member states, to at least cushion the immediate effect of the removal. May I also state that this administration has really failed in terms of taking advantage of what the Economists call "The Rational Expectation Theory" which would have largely not impinge on the confidence most Nigerians already reposed on PMB. I still believe that indeed, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by MNDY(m): 1:08pm On May 13, 2016
Nigerians, perhaps this was a divine arrangement afterall!
-
If GEJ had implemented it and its funds were looted (like through SURE-P etc), the question of the fund's judicious use would have been another thing entirely and Nigeria would have remained the same except for more money for the looters to loot in such atmosphere of a freely riding corruption.
-
However, in agreement with the OP, that would have been the most appropriate time to implement the fuel subsidy removal in contrast to now when the naira is almost worthless and almost everything used by Nigerians is imported vis-a-vis the even more harder hardship of the subsidy removal engendered by transportation cost of products. To purchase anything will be quite very difficult - the sacrifice for the time being before things get better.
-
But if it was implemented then under GEJ and he did not continue in office, PMB would have emerged winner and seen to the judicious use of its funds as the subsidy removal would have still been running (already implemented). Comparing the depth of hardship then and now would depend on the pump-prices and the Naira's value now!
-
I care less about APC's 2012 condemnation of the subsidy removal @ GEJ and now supporting it either due to absence of govt subsidy money now or oppossition's political gimmick then whatsoever!
-
OPPOSITION'S POLITICAL GIMMICK:
Especially in politics (and in other situations like a debate etc), to win support, an opponent would DO ANYTHING to disagree with the rival, even if the rival tenders a very obvious and accepted truth!

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by papparatzzi2013: 1:14pm On May 13, 2016
GEJ told us there was a cabal profiting from subsidy. Everybody said fine, why can't you punish the cabal. Why must it be the citizens that must suffer for the sins of others?

What happened after? Nothing. All the cabal members went Scott free under GEJ.

How do you want people to trust such a govt.
I strongly supported removal of subsidy during GEJ's time, but the people that were against also have very strong reasons.

The people could not trust GEJ with the savings from the subsidy removal, because he has never displayed the dexterity required for financial discpline an political wil to with fight corruption or at least, prevent the out right looting of our commonwealth.

For now, people still have the trust of financial prudency in Buhari and they might be willing to take the risk of the removal of subsidy with him.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by JUHABACH: 1:14pm On May 13, 2016
kalohkaloh:
The write up is rubbish! Ignorance is killing us in this country. Fraudsters took advantage of the susidy policy, in league with Jonathan's officials, to rip off the treasury few years back. Rather than this writer leading a protest to accelerate the trial of subsidy thieves so that our money can be recovered and the thieves jailed, he is busy doing a jaundiced analysis. Mark my word, the wicked marketers behind fuel scarcity will come back soon to ask for higher price! Cost of living will hit the roof. The social cost of the removal will be higher than the expected savings! Respite will only come when local refining capacity is shored up. This is why Dangote and other modular refineries should be supported to come on stream quickly. Before then, government must subsidize petrol price and manage it transparently and efficiently.

wow!! i am actually starting understand why APC supporters are termed "zombies". how exactly was the op's analysis jaundiced. if anything, this is probably the most balanced, well written article on this issue.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Nobody: 1:16pm On May 13, 2016
article of the year. Op you deserve a basket of fresh tomatoes
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by ba7man(m): 1:17pm On May 13, 2016
jmaine:

Tell your dumb God to arrest him if he has the balls. It's already a year, yet zombies blame him for your laziness to sit down and be productive. What a shame.
Ok.... shame with all the corruption money GEJ frittered away, you didn't get anything. embarassed

Well GEJ and you are a nightmare kicked to the kerb so Nigeria could move on......

You're a relic of the past.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by jmaine: 1:21pm On May 13, 2016
ba7man:
Ok.... shame with all the corruption money GEJ frittered away, you didn't get anything. embarassed

Well GEJ and you are a nightmare kicked to the kerb so Nigeria could move on......

You're a relic of the past.

It is simple, Tell your Daura Dumb God to go and arrest him if he means business. Nonentities like you can scream all you can but while GEJ is busy enjoying his time; zombies are already frustrated justifying their hypocrisy, appearing irrevocably stupid while at it.

It's such a pity.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by haibe(m): 1:41pm On May 13, 2016
Okbath:
JONATHAN wasn't autocratic in his administration, had it been GEJ resisted the oppositions of the likes of : tinubu, west, amechi, fashola, okorocha etc Nigeria would have saved #5trillion since 2012 , plus rapid economic transformation like foreign investors siting refineries here in nigeria. Now buharis autocracy has mistakenly trail back to GEJs initiative we all ought to embrace it because two wrongs never make a right, and history reserves credit to GEJs economic team.

Save 5 trillion and embezzle 4.5 trillion, what's the point?

Seems you guys don't get the reason why some knowledgeable people still protested about the removal knowing it's a right move. The Jonathan administration was characterised by corruption. That petroleum minister would have stolen more than what she stole if this subsidy money was saved.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Nobody: 1:53pm On May 13, 2016
Zombie reasoning; "I don't trust GEJ, I will rather have the marketers and oil cabal loot our commonwealth than GEJ"
Admit it, this government has taken us 4 years backwards

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by pimpo: 2:18pm On May 13, 2016
PROPHETmichael:

When GEJ removed subsidy in 2012 and suggested that the price of PMS will go up to N120, some people organised occupy Nigeria. Four years down the line, Buhari is repeating the very same thing with higher scourge of proposed N145 per litre and no one is talking. I am happy we have learnt the hard way to think before opposing policies.
However, I have a concern here. Why must this govt tell lies to Nigerians? I have said it over and over again that you cannot remove subsidy and have official price. Petrol is not different from egusi or rice marketing. You can only have official price if you regulate the price of production and wholesale price. If you do not, then it is to whom it may concern.
What subsidy does is to equalise cost and defray excesses on the part of marketers and make it feasible for them to profitably sell the commodity at the same price. If you remove subsidy, you must remove official pump price because you cannot equalise the cost with mouth. people import petrol from all over the world giving rice to differences in landing prices due to freight costs, distances etc.
We must complete the truth and stop playing politics with numbers. People should be told that they are on their own. If you pull up in a garage forecourt, take a glance on the price, if what is there, or what the pump attendant tells you is the price is OK by you, fill up and go your way, if not, go to another station. This is how we buy everything in Nigeria and all over the world. Enough of politics of numbers.

Excellent!!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:51pm On May 13, 2016
U re not a fan of Buhari, but a fan of the Ineffectual one! Pls wait till 2019 and show us who ur next choice is!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Johnsinia(m): 3:19pm On May 13, 2016
NIGERIANS USE UR HEAD TO ASK QUESTIONS. They APC criminals ve come again to decieve you as they did in the last general election. Now they want you to accept this "subsidy removal" by fire by force. They ve started opening up deception thrends like this particular one to decieve you again. To catch a thief is very simple, all u need do is to jst relax and watch them contradicting themselves in the sense of wnting to steal frm u. They will condem and come back to what they condem, they will promise heaven and earth and can not even give u a kobo. They will blame others as a reason of their failure. They will use u as foo.ls to protest against the policy of a sitting government and go back to dat same policy witout minnding that some of u lost ur life, witout minding that ur businesses ws shot down. This people (APC) are all run away theives from the PDP. And nw they ve come to decieve u to accept hardship. Shine ur eyes naija. Let's collectively reject this lies and demonic agent cajoling themselves as saint whereas they are wolf who wnt to destroy humanity.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Johnsinia(m): 3:19pm On May 13, 2016
NIGERIANS USE UR HEAD TO ASK QUESTIONS. They APC criminals ve come again to decieve you as they did in the last general election. Now they want you to accept this "subsidy removal" by fire by force. They ve started opening up deception thrends like this particular one to decieve you again. To catch a thief is very simple, all u need do is to jst relax and watch them contradicting themselves in the sense of wnting to steal frm u. They will condem and come back to what they condem, they will promise heaven and earth and can not even give u a kobo. They will blame others as a reason of their failure. They will use u as foo.ls to protest against the policy of a sitting government and go back to dat same policy witout minnding that some of u lost ur life, witout minding that ur businesses ws shot down. This people (APC) are all run away theives from the PDP. And nw they ve come to decieve u to accept hardship. Shine ur eyes naija. Let's collectively reject this lies and demonic agent cajoling themselves as saint whereas they are wolf who wnt to destroy humanity.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Oz4realsss: 3:59pm On May 13, 2016
Praktikals:
Nice write-up, but you can't blame the Nigerians who resisted the move in 2012. The average Nigerian was/is more concerned about what happens to the money that will be saved through subsidy removal.
The government of that time was barely less than one year. What makes you think otherwise now?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Praktikals(m): 4:25pm On May 13, 2016
Oz4realsss:

The government of that time was barely less than one year. What makes you think otherwise now?
Unlike the internationally acclaimed IB, baba enjoys enormous goodwill.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by Raymie(m): 4:33pm On May 13, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Well..one thing that OP forgets is that in 2012....WE HAD THE MONEY TO FUND THE SUBSIDY.

In 2016....we do not have the money

The problem with the OP is that he wants us to spend money we do not have to keep the subsidy going. That means only one thing...more loans.

OP's analysis is flawed.

If you took the time to read before commenting, you will find out that the OP is in support of the subsidy removal irrespective of government in power.

Going by your analysis, that I have the money to presently acquire a Camaro means I should do so whether it is of benefit to me or not. The previous government, despite their inadequacies, attempted to expunge this unnecessary expense, when we could still afford to, a move which was thwarted by a lot of us. This government's action is not because it needs to, its because it is 'forced' to, by present realities. This is tantamount to cutting one's nose to spite one's face, something this administration has clearly done.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late by magzey: 6:36pm On May 13, 2016
Beautiful backlash grin grin grin undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oluremi Omowaiye Birthday: Well-wishers Defy Rain, Celebrate Osun Commissioner / Benue Killings: Jang Blasts Lalong Over Comments Against Ortom / Okezie Ikpeazu Shares Free Kerosene In Abia Ahead Of Governorship Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.