Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,852 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 - Travel (318) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (681265 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by zt(m): 9:01pm On Jul 23, 2016
masquellett:
Profile:
GPA: 3.61/4.00
GRE: 291.
School: Kean Uni, NJ
Course: Computer Information Systems (Ms)
So, I woke up by 3am, prayed to God and started preparing for my interview at 9:30. My dad was going towards Lekki so he dropped me @ the embassy, saw those sharp embassy guys @ the entrance, trying to break the windscreen in other to get me to snap passport or staple my passport on my docs. I totally ignored the guys like plague and chilled till it was time to call the 9:30 appointment time crew. Along the line, I was sent back to go drop my flashdrive, which I didn't know was on me. Went back and threw the flash somewhere and rejoined the queue. Got in, passed all the screening exercise and was on interview queue. Actually, I wasn't praying for any window, but the VO in window 9 was just sharing blue paper like gifts. I kept my chill. Finally, I heard next and went straight to window 4. The following conversations occured.

VO: hello gud morning
Me: good morning ma (I tried to smile but my cheeks didn't allow me, maybe I was scared or something)
Vo: pass me your ds160, passport, i20 and sevis, (passed all). *kept calm*
Vo: why are you going to the US?
Me: to have my masters degree in Computer Information systems at kean uni, NJ
Vo: why kean?
Me: kean is one of the best public schools in the US, they have gud research facilities and also I got a GA position where I will be working with Prof. James Collins on his research on cyber security
Vo: how did you find out about the school?
Me: I made my research based on cybersecurity, using google, usnesw.com and gradcafe.com
Vo: who is paying for this?
Me: I got a GA position and my aunt will be paying the rest.
(na so another round of drilling started)
Vo: did you write any standardized exams?
Me: yes, I wrote GRE, had 151quant, 140verbal and 3'.5 anw (vo stops typing and was just looking at me, I tried to smile again, but my cheeks just stand still)
Vo: why did you think you got the GA?
Me: I guess the school was impressed with the quality of application materials I submitted. The minimum requirement for GA position is GPA 3.25 while I had 3.61.
Vo: what did you have in your bsc?
Me: Computer science
Vo: when did you graduate?
Me: 2013
Vo: what have u been ddoing?
Me: I work with The Bells secondary school as a system administrator, my duties are update of schools website, maintenance of computers and management of students exam results using edalaf software
Vo: how many schools did you apply to?
Me: 3, kean uni, uni of akron, ohio and university of ibadan nigeria.
Vo: why kean? (again? But I don answer dis question before na? I sha talk something again)
Me: because I will be working on a research topic with Professor James Collins and I was also offered a GA
(She was typing and typing and typing for some minutes, I just dey pray for my mind) next thing I heard was "I will be approving your visa". I just went deaf. I didn't hear anything again. I walked out of the hall majestically.

Special thanks to Lagosismyhome( your the real MVP mam, God bless you, I will make sure my kids appreciate you too, stay blessed) , Walspring, imperiouxx, texrem, Oludare1, dickoflife, Ashbammy(my NJ partner), slimmy2005( even with all d abuse wey u abuse me, I still love you), femi234, gunther6 et Al. God bless you all. Amen.
NB: those yet to go for interview, I wish you the best, pray, be confident and get yourself informed. You shall get it. Blessings Fam!

Now this is what I am talking about- taking charge and showing that you are passionate about the course. It's only the passion you need to drive the confidence. Congrats!!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Gentleamos: 9:05pm On Jul 23, 2016
zt:

Friday
Safest trip
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by AshBammy(f): 9:13pm On Jul 23, 2016
masquellett:
Profile:
GRE: 291.
School: Kean Uni, NJ
Course: Computer Information Systems (Ms)
So, I woke up by 3am, prayed to God and started preparing for my interview at 9:30. My dad was going towards Lekki so he dropped me @ the embassy, saw those sharp embassy guys @ the entrance, trying to break the windscreen in other to get me to snap passport or staple my passport on my docs. I totally ignored the guys like plague and chilled till it was time to call the 9:30 appointment time crew. Along the line, I was sent back to go drop my flashdrive, which I didn't know was on me. Went back and threw the flash somewhere and rejoined the queue. Got in, passed all the screening exercise and was on interview queue. Actually, I wasn't praying for any window, but the VO in window 9 was just sharing blue paper like gifts. I kept my chill. Finally, I heard next and went straight to window 4. The following conversations occured.

VO: hello gud morning
Me: good morning ma (I tried to smile but my cheeks didn't allow me, maybe I was scared or something)
Vo: pass me your ds160, passport, i20 and sevis, (passed all). *kept calm*
Vo: why are you going to the US?
Me: to have my masters degree in Computer Information systems at kean uni, NJ
Vo: why kean?
Me: kean is one of the best public schools in the US, they have gud research facilities and also I got a GA position where I will be working with Prof. James Collins on his research on cyber security
Vo: how did you find out about the school?
Me: I made my research based on cybersecurity, using google, usnesw.com and gradcafe.com
Vo: who is paying for this?
Me: I got a GA position and my aunt will be paying the rest.
(na so another round of drilling started)
Vo: did you write any standardized exams?
Me: yes, I wrote GRE, had 151quant, 140verbal and 3'.5 anw (vo stops typing and was just looking at me, I tried to smile again, but my cheeks just stand still)
Vo: why did you think you got the GA?
Me: I guess the school was impressed with the quality of application materials I submitted. The minimum requirement for GA position is GPA 3.25 while I had 3.61.
Vo: what did you have in your bsc?
Me: Computer science
Vo: when did you graduate?
Me: 2013
Vo: what have u been ddoing?
Me: I work with The Bells secondary school as a system administrator, my duties are update of schools website, maintenance of computers and management of students exam results using edalaf software
Vo: how many schools did you apply to?
Me: 3, kean uni, uni of akron, ohio and university of ibadan nigeria.
Vo: why kean? (again? But I don answer dis question before na? I sha talk something again)
Me: because I will be working on a research topic with Professor James Collins and I was also offered a GA
(She was typing and typing and typing for some minutes, I just dey pray for my mind) next thing I heard was "I will be approving your visa". I just went deaf. I didn't hear anything again. I walked out of the hall majestically.

Special thanks to Lagosismyhome( your the real MVP mam, God bless you, I will make sure my kids appreciate you too, stay blessed) , Walspring, imperiouxx, texrem, Oludare1, dickoflife, Ashbammy(my NJ partner), slimmy2005( even with all d abuse wey u abuse me, I still love you), femi234, gunther6 et Al. God bless you all. Amen.
NB: those yet to go for interview, I wish you the best, pray, be confident and get yourself informed. You shall get it. Blessings Fam!
Yaaay finally NJ family lool...so happy.
nice interview, you were really confident.
Congratulations
I like Kean too

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:18pm On Jul 23, 2016
Rheenah:
Evening guys.
Plz I need someone to help me on my itinerary.
So confusing. Finding it a bit difficult to grab some stuffs. Anyway if you can help out biko quote me. Awu send a pm. Ndewonu

Send me a pm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by jackikeys: 9:31pm On Jul 23, 2016
good evening borders an sisters. my name is happiness nathaniel. i applied 4 undergraduate admission in a sch @ dallas tx. was given d admission, i applied 4 INTENSIVE ENGLISH PROGRAM (English as 2nd language), dis course dosnt require any exams, just my sch set. was given d admission. went 4 d interview on thursday, bt unfortunatly i was denied. ([CRYINGs). am planing 2 apply again. bt i need u guys 2 help me out.. pls. will send my transcript soon. tnx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by imperiouxx(m): 9:33pm On Jul 23, 2016
masquellett:
Profile:

This is a brilliant student.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:37pm On Jul 23, 2016
jackikeys:
good evening borders an sisters. my name is happiness nathaniel. i applied 4 undergraduate admission in a sch @ dallas tx. was given d admission, i applied 4 INTENSIVE ENGLISH PROGRAM (English as 2nd language), dis course dosnt require any exams, just my sch set. was given d admission. went 4 d interview on thursday, bt unfortunatly i was denied. ([CRYINGs). am planing 2 apply again. bt i need u guys 2 help me out.. pls. will send my transcript soon. tnx

Let me be your Vo for today .....why did you pick this course and what are your study plans or career goals .

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by endowedlee: 9:50pm On Jul 23, 2016
@ Taiwotasungo .. I can't access my email send pm to don4ye..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by segunthebook: 9:51pm On Jul 23, 2016
My School will resume on the 9th of August. I was thrown back a little by the question to be fair. I can't afford to mess up this opportunity on Thursday.

LagosismyHome:

This was not a bright response at all..... when does your school resume
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by jackikeys: 9:51pm On Jul 23, 2016
LagosismyHome:

Let me be your Vo for today .....why did you pick this course and what are your study plans or career goals .
because i want 2 improve in my listening,reading,writing skill.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:00pm On Jul 23, 2016
jackikeys:
because i want 2 improve in my listening,reading,writing skill.

You said you applied for undergrad admission but is the degree INTENSIVE ENGLISH PROGRAM (English as 2nd language)..... is that a degree program? And if yes .... yes u will improve your skills during those 4 years but what are your career goal after that and why did you pick this course as a future professional path was my question

Except if the INTENSIVE ENGLISH PROGRAM is not the undergraduate you are applying for.

So my next question what exactly did u apply for, what school and what ur career goal after the degree?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by masquellett(m): 10:00pm On Jul 23, 2016
LagosismyHome:

grin .
The Glory belongs to God alone
Congrats and God bless your new journey
Amen. Thanx mam

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by masquellett(m): 10:00pm On Jul 23, 2016
akins2016:

Congrat bro!
Thanx brova
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by masquellett(m): 10:01pm On Jul 23, 2016
OJCITY22:

Congrats bro

Thanx bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by masquellett(m): 10:02pm On Jul 23, 2016
Gentleamos:

Congratulations bro
Thanx G
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by masquellett(m): 10:03pm On Jul 23, 2016
texrem:

Congrats buddy....see u soon....cos i am coming to new jersy....dont ask me why....the reason is in ur trascripts grin grin grin

Lmao grin. Sure bro. Will b glad to see u! Buh I wanna know why oo! I hope it's not Wat am thinking grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by masquellett(m): 10:06pm On Jul 23, 2016
zt:

Now this is what I am talking about- taking charge and showing that you are passionate about the course. It's only the passion you need to drive the confidence. Congrats!!!

Thanks bro. It was just God. But NIV say make we no dey say na God again. Lol grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Otiotiotaofik(m): 10:06pm On Jul 23, 2016
thanks.
OluDare01:

All you need is go to wakanow.com or travelstart.com and search
Which part of US are you going?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by masquellett(m): 10:07pm On Jul 23, 2016
AshBammy:

Yaaay finally NJ family lool...so happy.
nice interview, you were really confident.
Congratulations
I like Kean too

Thanx sweetie kiss. It wasn't easy though. U gotta see me shaking. But God did it. See ya soon Dear...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Otiotiotaofik(m): 10:07pm On Jul 23, 2016
thanks and l will try it now.
OluDare01:

All you need is go to wakanow.com or travelstart.com and search
Which part of US are you going?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by masquellett(m): 10:08pm On Jul 23, 2016
imperiouxx:

This is a brilliant student.

Cheers!

Thanx my Oga. God bless you. Was expecting my beer since. Now I can relax grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by jackikeys: 10:13pm On Jul 23, 2016
VO: Good afternoon
Me: good afternoon sir
Vo: can I av ur 1-20 and passport
Me: gave him
Vo: Y Brookhaven college?
Me: cus I love Dia international students pakage, and my cousin jst graduated 4rm dr and I love her performance here in 9ja wen she came bk.
Vo: Y English as 2nd language?
Me cus my English acents ar nt gud enof.
Vo: wat u bin doing ever sins ur high sch?
Me: I went 4 computer web design progrm
Vo: who is sponsoring u?
Me: my uncle
Vo: d fader 2 dt ur cousin?
Me: yes
Vo: Wats dt ur cousin's name?
Me: told him a name wit wit d surname of dt my uncle
Vo: wat dos dt ur uncle do 4 a living?
Me: he owns a lubricating oil company
Vo: did u work 4 ur uncle?
Vo: Wats ur uncle's website?
Me: I dnt knw cus I didn't create d website
Vo: typing. Den gave me a blue slip, saying I dnt av strong ties and dt I ca reapply.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:22pm On Jul 23, 2016
jackikeys:

What u will gain during a process is different from why you choose to study that course. ...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by nellyalph: 10:27pm On Jul 23, 2016
jackikeys:
Me: cus I love Dia international students pakage, and my cousin jst graduated 4rm dr and I love her performance here in 9ja wen she came bk.
Vo: typing. Den gave me a blue slip, saying I dnt av strong ties and dt I ca reapply.

You hardly see a private organization with a website(Naija never dey too developed like that). You could have said you guys dont have a website just email address. And you ought to have buttressed your relationship with your 'uncle'. Like he is mom's bro or father's bro.

Secondly I don't understand your course and program so I wouldnt say much on that.
You can study English and develop your reading epwriting e.t.c in Nigeria so that alone isn't really a strong point

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:31pm On Jul 23, 2016
nellyalph:

You hardly see a private organization with a website(Naija never dey too developed like that). You could have said you guys dont have a website just email address. And you ought to have buttressed your relationship with your 'uncle'. Like he is mom's bro or father's bro.

Secondly I don't understand your course and program so I wouldnt say much on that.
You can study English and develop your reading epwriting e.t.c in Nigeria so that alone isn't really a strong point

He said he went for a computer web design progrm....so i guess the website question was a cheeky one. As he said he works for his uncle, he has done the course so its has to have website , done for free self ... grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by zt(m): 10:34pm On Jul 23, 2016
jackikeys:

Hello,

I noticed you are confident enough but the responses might not be good enough. I can also deduce that you are going for your undergraduate (please correct me) and you probably did not check transcripts from this forum early enough however I think you have a good chance next time.

On international student's package-i am hearing that for the first time and if thats the reason for choosing your school then we have schools that can offer similar or better "package". Such response may notbe convincing enough- you should try to mention some important things here like the course, your interests in relation to your department, faculty members as well as current and past students.

You are also expected to know the website of your workplace not just because your uncle owns it but you also learned something about Web design.

About your "accent". That is the main reason you were declined. Rule number one-never make anyone feel you are not proud of who you are- your accent is your accent and you must accept this if you don't (as you showed), that means you are trying to distant yourself from your origin and by inference, you do not intend to associate with your home country hence 214B.

All the best next time.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by jackikeys: 10:34pm On Jul 23, 2016
LagosismyHome:

What u will gain during a process is different from why you choose to study that course. ...
Yea Dats true. Can we talk on pm?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by OluDare01(m): 10:53pm On Jul 23, 2016
masquellett:

Thanks bro. It was just God. But NIV say make we no dey say na God again. Lol grin grin

comgrats bro
Enjoy NJ
You sabi book oo grin
Cutemorgan would be proud of you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by OluDare01(m): 10:54pm On Jul 23, 2016
Otiotiotaofik:
thanks and l will try it now.
Try search late in the night/midnight
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Walspring: 11:09pm On Jul 23, 2016
masquellett:

I updated it myself and it changed. I printed another apointment page from the site without contacting them. Now my profile carries the new ds160 code

I hope they will leave it this way and they won't want applicant to contact them before updating the code..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by jackikeys: 11:11pm On Jul 23, 2016
zt:

Hello,

I noticed you are confident enough but the responses might not be good enough. I can also deduce that you are going for your undergraduate (please correct me) and you probably did not check transcripts from this forum early enough however I think you have a good chance next time.

On international student's package-i am hearing that for the first time and if thats the reason for choosing your school then we have schools that can offer similar or better "package". Such response may notbe convincing enough- you should try to mention some important things here like the course, your interests in relation to your department, faculty members as well as current and past students.

You are also expected to know the website of your workplace not just because your uncle owns it but you also learned something about Web design.

About your "accent". That is the main reason you were declined. Rule number one-never make anyone feel you are not proud of who you are- your accent is your accent and you must accept this if you don't (as you showed), that means you are trying to distant yourself from your origin and by inference, you do not intend to associate with your home country hence 214B.

All the best next time.

tanks bro. Pls Wats should b a gud and perfect answer 4 d reason am going English as a 2nd language?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Walspring: 11:15pm On Jul 23, 2016
jackikeys:

You will surly be denied because you didn't apply for any course at all.. Don't you know the meaning of IEP before you are lured by your adviser to go to embassy with it?

Kindly go and write toefl or ielts or SAT and applied to you dream course and leave that agent or advise who applied IEP for you.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) ... (402)

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.