Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,876 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:23 PM

Nigeria's Biggest Problem ' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Biggest Problem ' (662 Views)

I Wish The Oil Will Dry Up – Buhari Explodes, Reveals Nigeria Biggest Problem Ah / Which Of These Is Nigeria’s Biggest Problem Right Now? / Lagos Presents N813bn Budget, Nigeria's Biggest Ever State Budget (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Biggest Problem ' by tsephanyah(f): 10:48am On May 14, 2016
Religion – Nigeria’s Greatest Problem – By Bello Isiaka | http://www.diasporascope.com Nigeria is endowed with unbelievable wealth, but resources without a system, structure and lasting institutions is dangerous. Religion, poverty, ignorance & illiteracy have destroyed our value system in Nigeria. Religion is clearly the opium of the oppressed and keeps Nigerians addictively high with illusions that things will get better as long as they fast and pray. My observation form the ongoing problems Nigeria has been facing can be traced down to religion. Be it Muslims, Christians or any other religion in Nigeria. Religion itself is very confusing with more than 20 documented religions existing in the world and all battling for supremacy of their messiahs. It is this confusion that the religious leaders capitalize upon to sedate their followers, oppress and extort them of their meager salary and hold them hostage with promises from above (Heaven) and hopes for miracles. In one of my previous writes, I wrote on the subject that “church, a mere social gathering” but of a truth, religion is seriously turning into social gatherings. For instance, most churches are now places where the unmarried go to seek for marriage, the jobless go for job seeking instead of filling out applications, actions that should be taken against our corrupt leaders are tabled in the church in prayers. Students come to pray for success in exams instead of studying, the weirdest thing I have seen was at a church in Abuja were the pastor was blessing the pen the students will use in writing exams and asking the Holy Spirit to take control in the exam hall. Nigerians forget that faith without works is dead, little or no input of energy leads to less or no force output and “he who do not know that he doesn’t know it will never know it expect you try to know it”. The only way out of this bondage of fanaticism, religious bigotry and too much uncontrolled religiosity is education and empowering Nigerians. But unfortunately many Nigerians prefer to be instructed than educated, oppressed than empowered and always blame spiritual influence on any predicament they face which leads to an average Nigerians paranoia. There are many things that require our physical actions to change positively but instead we Nigerians hide in our rooms, churches, night vigil, religious conventions etc. pretending to be praying for a solution. We do not need any rocket science to turn the bad situation around for better but our collective physical efforts to get in tune with our community, what is going on around us and know our rights. Nigerians only believe in prayers without any physical action whatsoever, which is the result of the stagnant growth our country is facing today. We spend most of our time praying for things that need our efforts and actions (Example: please God touch the heart of our leaders, please God make Nigeria a better place, please God touch the heart of our corrupt police men, Fire of God burn our corrupt leaders, the list goes on). Leaving our corrupt leaders unchallenged and grant them freedom to run the country down because the followers are not concerned with the politics of the country rather waiting for an Act of God to turn Nigeria to a beautiful utopia. Why can’t we call a spade, a spade and stop letting sleeping dogs lie? With all sincerity, religious sentiments put aside of which Nigerians are sentimentally dogmatic which makes them conceal the truth because the subject is from their constituency (religion or tribe). If Martin Luther King didn’t fight as hard as he did to make a change, only spent his time in the church and preferred to be instructed by most uneducated religious leaders we have in Nigeria who are money minded, he wouldn’t have had a “Dream”. If Nelson Mandela prayed once and asked the Holy Spirit to stop apartheid, and didn’t sweat, bleed and go to jail for it what would have been the fate of South Africa? If Obama decided to be a junior pastor whose duty is to carry the senior pastor’s bible around and preach false messages of change only to enrich his pocket than working hard to make his famous and Victorious Change Speech, I guess a USA black president would have been a Greek myth. If only the Nigerian youths will reject our countries apathy towards ongoing crisis and be the voice of the nation, if every Nigerian will stand upright and challenge what is wrong, things would be a little better. A revolution doesn’t have to be bloody to be a revolution. If we have unity amongst us, empower the young generation, educate and not destroy, work towards bringing positive change to be able to revolve around Nigeria’s current political and economic situation, that is what I call a “Revolution”. Change is all we have, education is the foundation to build an economy and not a bruising our knees praying and shouting on top of our voices in the act of prayer; as if God is deaf and needs to be shouted at before he hears or braking our foreheads praying at the mosque. If Nigerians can only face reality and know that faith without works is nothing.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem ' by jedisco(m): 2:22pm On May 14, 2016
True and well articulated post.
I would rather say the biggest problem is our wrong approach to religion and religious and ethnic racism.
Religion is good when approached with the right mindset. I used racism cos it's about the best word that describes the kind of ethnic intolerance prevalent in every part of this country

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem ' by Nobody: 8:57am On May 15, 2016
tsephanyah:
Religion – Nigeria’s Greatest Problem – By Bello Isiaka |
http://www.diasporascope.com Nigeria is endowed with
unbelievable wealth, but resources without a system,
structure and lasting institutions is dangerous. Religion,
poverty, ignorance & illiteracy have destroyed our value
system in Nigeria. Religion is clearly the opium of the
oppressed and keeps Nigerians addictively high with
illusions that things will get better as long as they fast and
pray. My observation form the ongoing problems Nigeria
has been facing can be traced down to religion. Be it
Muslims, Christians or any other religion in Nigeria.
Religion itself is very confusing with more than 20
documented religions existing in the world and all battling
for supremacy of their messiahs. It is this confusion that
the religious leaders capitalize upon to sedate their
followers, oppress and extort them of their meager salary
and hold them hostage with promises from above
(Heaven) and hopes for miracles. In one of my previous
writes, I wrote on the subject that “church, a mere social
gathering” but of a truth, religion is seriously turning into
social gatherings. For instance, most churches are now
places where the unmarried go to seek for marriage, the
jobless go for job seeking instead of filling out
applications, actions that should be taken against our
corrupt leaders are tabled in the church in prayers.
Students come to pray for success in exams instead of
studying, the weirdest thing I have seen was at a church
in Abuja were the pastor was blessing the pen the
students will use in writing exams and asking the Holy
Spirit to take control in the exam hall. Nigerians forget
that faith without works is dead, little or no input of energy
leads to less or no force output and “he who do not know
that he doesn’t know it will never know it expect you try
to know it”. The only way out of this bondage of
fanaticism, religious bigotry and too much uncontrolled
religiosity is education and empowering Nigerians. But
unfortunately many Nigerians prefer to be instructed than
educated, oppressed than empowered and always blame
spiritual influence on any predicament they face which
leads to an average Nigerians paranoia. There are many
things that require our physical actions to change
positively but instead we Nigerians hide in our rooms,
churches, night vigil, religious conventions etc.
pretending to be praying for a solution. We do not need
any rocket science to turn the bad situation around for
better but our collective physical efforts to get in tune with
our community, what is going on around us and know our
rights. Nigerians only believe in prayers without any
physical action whatsoever, which is the result of the
stagnant growth our country is facing today. We spend
most of our time praying for things that need our efforts
and actions (Example: please God touch the heart of our
leaders, please God make Nigeria a better place, please
God touch the heart of our corrupt police men, Fire of God
burn our corrupt leaders, the list goes on). Leaving our
corrupt leaders unchallenged and grant them freedom to
run the country down because the followers are not
concerned with the politics of the country rather waiting
for an Act of God to turn Nigeria to a beautiful utopia. Why
can’t we call a spade, a spade and stop letting sleeping
dogs lie? With all sincerity, religious sentiments put aside
of which Nigerians are sentimentally dogmatic which
makes them conceal the truth because the subject is from
their constituency (religion or tribe). If Martin Luther King
didn’t fight as hard as he did to make a change, only
spent his time in the church and preferred to be instructed
by most uneducated religious leaders we have in Nigeria
who are money minded, he wouldn’t have had a “Dream”.
If Nelson Mandela prayed once and asked the Holy Spirit
to stop apartheid, and didn’t sweat, bleed and go to jail
for it what would have been the fate of South Africa? If
Obama decided to be a junior pastor whose duty is to
carry the senior pastor’s bible around and preach false
messages of change only to enrich his pocket than
working hard to make his famous and Victorious Change
Speech, I guess a USA black president would have been a
Greek myth. If only the Nigerian youths will reject our
countries apathy towards ongoing crisis and be the voice
of the nation, if every Nigerian will stand upright and
challenge what is wrong, things would be a little better. A
revolution doesn’t have to be bloody to be a revolution. If
we have unity amongst us, empower the young
generation, educate and not destroy, work towards
bringing positive change to be able to revolve around
Nigeria’s current political and economic situation, that is
what I call a “Revolution”. Change is all we have,
education is the foundation to build an economy and not a
bruising our knees praying and shouting on top of our
voices in the act of prayer; as if God is deaf and needs to
be shouted at before he hears or braking our foreheads
praying at the mosque. If Nigerians can only face reality
and know that faith without works is nothing.

you're so cute
Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem ' by tsephanyah(f): 9:41am On May 15, 2016
wahabian:

you're so cute
thanks wahabee
Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem ' by TheNonce: 11:15am On May 15, 2016
grin
wahabian:

you're so cute

You wan taste?

Thief...................
Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem ' by Nobody: 11:46am On May 15, 2016
tsephanyah:
thanks wahabee

these days trying to get a camel mate with a dow is easier than getting an intelligent girl whose beauty doesn't affect her brilliance.

please add me via my signature.
Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem ' by I888(m): 12:18pm On May 15, 2016
wahabian:

these days trying to get a camel mate with a dow is easier than getting an intelligent girl whose beauty doesn't affect her brilliance.

please add me via my signature.
see wooing in action grin
Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem ' by jedisco(m): 4:26pm On May 15, 2016
See as guys dey hustle.
If na to abuse Fulani, una go collect front seat but as una don see better pikin una dey form loyal.
@op abeg just siddon dey look dem

(1) (Reply)

Sovereign State Of Nigeria Delta / Second Chibok Girl Found - Nigeria Army / What Happened To Our MTN FINE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.