Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,605 members, 7,827,283 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? (702 Views)

"Two Men Claim Ownership Of Baby After Their Lover Gave Birth In Edo". Photo / "If My Man Cheats On Me While I'm Pregnant, I'll Kill Him And The Baby" - Lady / Two Men Slept With Me The Same Day.and I Am Pregnant,who Owns The Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? by Nobody: 7:02am On May 16, 2016
Good morning.

A friend of mine threw this at me this morning.

His friend got his girlfriend pregnant. Went to her parents to legally marry her. But they said he should wait after delivery. They told him to take the girl with him back.

This girl stayed with him till she put to bed. He took care of her till the baby was one year old after which the girl returned to her family.

The guy has gone back to pay for her marriage rite and the story has changed. She is saying she is not ready for marriage and they won't allow him have the baby.

Since he hasn't paid for her bride price, can he claim ownership of the baby.

Thanks
Re: Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? by Nobody: 7:06am On May 16, 2016
Thing is, the child is his, they themselves can't deny it, but it's quite unfortunate they had to deceive him for a whole year
+ to come back

Another thing is he ready for marriage based on finance and other things?

Tho I commend the girls part on saying she's not ready for marriage, he could've married her and she'll ruin him in no time, she could have other plans like schooling maybe, your friend should relax and ask things out

The inevitable truth is his child will still find his way back to him
Re: Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? by Nobody: 7:06am On May 16, 2016
catch-22
Re: Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? by Nobody: 7:07am On May 16, 2016
since when did a child become a property to be owned and claimed? Anyways I don't blame the girl, ladies like Anna Banner and co have made being a baby mama look glamorous undecided
Re: Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? by Nobody: 7:09am On May 16, 2016
NO.
The child belongs to d mother and can only choose to go back to his dad when he is an adult.

Dats According to our custom.
Re: Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? by talk2alabama: 7:10am On May 16, 2016
She is not ready for marriage right? OK.. I will hold dat statement against them...
Re: Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? by shegxi(m): 7:11am On May 16, 2016
you dn't claim ownership of children by bride price, it is by connection. so long d friend didnt abandon d gurl when he was needed, d baby will eventually look for his father.
Re: Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? by Nobody: 7:13am On May 16, 2016
Instead of trying to claim paternity/ownership.
He should probably try to find out from the girl what her plans her. Maybe she's still schooling or something and she just wants to finish up.

On the other hand, they already stayed together for a year or so , so I don't see the biggie as per why she's not ready to settle down. But it all still boils down to communication. He needs to have a heart-to-heart talk with her.

Trust me, it's not easy raising a child alone. He should try and work things out with her. But if everything then fails , he can consider taking paternity though he should bear it in mind that no court will release a toddler to d father until the child is 7/8 years except the lady has been proven beyond reasonable doubt to be incapable of taking care of the child.

Hope this helps. Good morning.

1 Like

Re: Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? by shegxi(m): 7:14am On May 16, 2016
mineANDurs:
NO.
The child belongs to d mother and can only choose to go back to his dad when he is an adult.

Dats According to our custom.
rili? God forbid d baby has an issue dat blood is needed and d father's own match, wat wuld they do? since d dude took responsibility and didnt deny her nor abscond, i dnt see why his son shld be kept away from him.
Re: Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? by DahtzFestjayz: 7:17am On May 16, 2016
I
Re: Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? by marshalcarter: 7:17am On May 16, 2016
Mtsw

Dis early monday momo naim 1 useless thing dey enter thread
Re: Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? by PunkyV(f): 7:23am On May 16, 2016
Don't know how things are in your country, but this is a family court matter. No one parent has full "ownership" of the child when both parents are still alive. That's primitive & absurd. If he wants a relationship with his child, he should go to court & sue for visitation rights or custody. Usually the child goes to the more responsible parent of the two. Just because someone is the mother, doesnt make them a good parent or sole "owner" by default. That's garbage! This is 2016 & not the dark ages of jungle law.
Re: Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? by Nobody: 7:26am On May 16, 2016
shegxi:
rili? God forbid d baby has an issue dat blood is needed and d father's own match, wat wuld they do? since d dude took responsibility and didnt deny her nor abscond, i dnt see why his son shld be kept away from him.

The child wont be kept away from him, he has d right to come visiting but the child will bear the mother's surname and wont b given to him.

I think the law was made to discourage men from abscounding after knocking up a woman.

No marriage, no baby! Dats d tradition.

I like it shaa grin

1 Like

Re: Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? by Michellla(f): 7:29am On May 16, 2016
she saw someone that claimed responsibility for the child and is willing to marry her.
and she rejected that undecided
Re: Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? by shegxi(m): 7:34am On May 16, 2016
mineANDurs:

The child wont be kept away from him, he has d right to come visiting but the child will bear the mother's surname and wont b given to him.

I think the law was made to discourage men from abscounding after knocking up a woman.

No marriage, no baby! Dats d tradition.

I like it shaa grin
lol, y wn't u like it? but d guy wants marriage now.
Re: Can He Claim Ownership Of The Baby? by LegalBaby(f): 7:57am On May 16, 2016
Claim your son,,enforce
boundaries,and make sure that your child's
life is within your reach.
This is your responsibility.If you give into her,you are not doing right by your son.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

No Miss Nairaland Contest This Year? / Guys Take Note! / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.