Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,462 members, 7,846,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 07:44 AM

Police Arrest Protesting NLC Members In Ebonyi State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Arrest Protesting NLC Members In Ebonyi State (536 Views)

Osinbajo, Ngige & Kachikwu Addressing Protesting NLC & TUC Members Today (Photos / Saraki & NASS Members Addressing Protesting NLC Members In Abuja (Photos) / Osinbajo Meets With Protesting NLC, TUC Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Police Arrest Protesting NLC Members In Ebonyi State by drakura: 8:27am On May 20, 2016
Ebonyi State branch of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) yesterday clashed with the state police command during a rally over fuel hike and removal of petroleum subsidy by the Federal Government.
Chairman of the NLC in the state, Comrade Ikechukwu Nwafor and some other NLC members sustained various degrees of injuries before they were later arrested by the police.

In her reaction, the state Commissioner of Police, Ibekwe Abdallah, explained that labour leaders were organising illegal meeting that
could spark-off violence in the state for which reason the police dispersed them.
She explained that she received a letter from the labour leaders over their planned protest and that the letter was brought to her office the time the labour leaders were doing the rally.

According to the Authority Newspaper, Comrade Nwafor who was in Police custody alongside other labour leaders said, “We were on a peaceful rally over the fuel price increase and electricity tariff when we were attacked and it is a protest that is on-going all over the country and we notified the police of this protest.
“We gave them a letter on the protest. After I called the Commissioner of Police and she didn’t pick the call, we made sure that the letter was delivered to her and then preceded on the peaceful rally.

“We were marching peacefully when policemen came and attacked us.
They used tear gas on me and beat me up. Five Policemen bundled me and threw me into a hilux van like stone or animal and that’s why I broke my hands and legs like this.
Meanwhile, workers in the state were seen on their duty posts working
when The AUTHORITY visited different government offices in the state.

Source : http://www.nuelsblog.com/2016/05/police-arrest-nlc-protesters-in-ebonyi.html?m=1

Re: Police Arrest Protesting NLC Members In Ebonyi State by chriskosherbal(m): 8:30am On May 20, 2016
The federal government and NLC should come to a quick agreement on this industrial dispute.
Re: Police Arrest Protesting NLC Members In Ebonyi State by Dreal11247: 8:41am On May 20, 2016
God will deliver this nation.

(1) (Reply)

FG To Provide 1billion Eggs For School Feeding Programme – Lai Mohammed / Why Jonathan Gave Metuh N400M – witness / 5 Reasons Jonathan Should Face Corruption Charges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.