Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,019 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair - Fashion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair (41917 Views)

Why Do Women Flaunt Their Stretch Marks Via Sleeveless Tops? / Why Do Women Suffer With High Heel Shoes. These Are Scary And Crazy / What Do Women Gain By Exposing Their Bodies? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omogenaija(f): 9:35pm On Jun 24, 2007
abi o , cant spend all ur money on hair undecided
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:18pm On Jun 24, 2007
Sorry about that omoge. Gosh I figured you Britain living people would have it better than us in the states. I go to Harlem and call out one price, whoever agrees to it is who I follow. You have all these Senegalese/Guinea women fighting for customers, they have no choice anyway. The most I've ever paid for cornrows is $50 and that's for the invisible type.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omoge(f): 1:48am On Jun 25, 2007
thank you my sister. hair is something else here. there was a time (before i shaved my hair) when i did it at JC Penny.

nowadays, i leave it natural grin
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 8:38am On Jun 25, 2007
my conrows cost from 30-40 bucks. and they're nice. she braids them really small
If you go to a nigerian salon, they'll charge you less if you're nigerian and especially if you know how to bargain (my mom is expert at it)
and most especially if you know someone who knows the braider who knows your uncle's cousin's mom. then they might even do it at a cheaper price.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omoge25(f): 10:45am On Jun 25, 2007
WesleyanA:

my conrows cost from 30-40 bucks. and they're nice. she braids them really small
If you go to a nigerian salon, they'll charge you less if you're nigerian and especially if you know how to bargain (my mom is expert at it)
and most especially if you know someone who knows the braider who knows your uncle's cousin's mom. then they might even do it at a cheaper price.

yes o, that is one of my fav. perks of being naija. whenever i go to the salon, the ladies always ask if you are naija, yes and the price can drop by $20-30.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by moondust(m): 2:51pm On Jun 25, 2007
even white girls do it, wats the biggie?
but nothing I luv more than seein a sista with her natural hair all woven up and neat!
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omogenaija(f): 4:42am On Jun 26, 2007
WesleyanA:

abeg my sista , which salon do u go to embarassed ? is it that cheap b/c u dont use attachment ?
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 5:30am On Jun 26, 2007
with attachment. but you have to buy the extentions separately.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omogenaija(f): 5:31am On Jun 26, 2007
i never heard of pretty b , i will check the phone book , thanks sis
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 5:59am On Jun 26, 2007
your welcome kiss kiss
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by diamondd(f): 5:32pm On Jun 27, 2007
THE REASON BEEN THAT SOME HAIR THEY BREAK COME WHEN BECAUSE THE THING TOO COARSE AND THEY TOOOOOO PAINFUL MOST OF THE TIMES BUT IF YOU HAVE HAIR LIKE MOIIIIIIIIIIIII YOU'LL ENJOY UR NATURAL TEXTUREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by shango(m): 6:24am On Jun 28, 2007
Wsleyana

THANK YOU THANK YOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOgmMFxHKyw

every black woman should watch this video. Its funny what White Supremacy has done to Africans worldwide, its a shame.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by diamondd(f): 2:22pm On Jul 03, 2007
dunt hate booo tongue appreciate grin
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by divadarlin(f): 6:21am On Jul 08, 2007
I used to think managing natural hair was difficult, even though I had never actually tried to manage mine. My mother permed my hair straight out of diapers, and I never got to see it. I went unnatural last year, and stopped perming my hair. At first it was nightmare, and I threatened my new "crown of glory" with a perm. Then I eventually went to the salon to get it done, and it came out nice and soft(no relaxer needed). I stopped deceiving myself, and admit that i lacked a lot of knowledge concerning the proper care of natural hair, and that's why it was giving me problems. www.nappturality.com I joined that website, and learned how to comb my hair, figure out what products are made and not made for my hair.
My hair is shoulder length now(all natural), never experienced this quick growth while unnatural. Some of my friends screamed at how fast it grew, and encouraged me to get a relaxer, "now that it is long". With my new mindset, that seems retarded. I look back now, and I remember the countless girls in high school that relaxed their long natural hair knowing fully well that in a year or less it would retreat into that "limp wannabe white girl state screaming for a weave" I know a lot of people claim that not being natural is just a fashion choice, but I remember how uncomfortable a lot of people(black) were about me choosing to wear my hair like that
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by spoilt(f): 7:12am On Jul 08, 2007
ok so you guys have me wanting to go natural now.
ive always had a perm. always. dont even remember what my natural hair is like. just remember crying a lot during hair braiding when i was younger. (it hurt so bad!)
after having my baby my hair is falling out. im into serious hair extensions. maybe its time to just go nappy. i dunno. dont even know how to make the transition.help a sister here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by ikamefa(f): 7:27pm On Jul 08, 2007
spoilt:

ok so you guys have me wanting to go natural now.
ive always had a perm. always. don't even remember what my natural hair is like. just remember crying a lot during hair braiding when i was younger. (it hurt so bad!)
after having my baby my hair is falling out. im into serious hair extensions. maybe its time to just go nappy. i don't know. don't even know how to make the transition.help a sister here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. no more perms/relaxers, if you have them in the house trash 'em

2. depending on the length of your hair now , the kind of work you do etc, simply wash and braid hence forth(box braids,2 strand-twists,corn-rows etc)or you can rock the good old afro grin

3. you have to deep condition too every 2 weeks

4. as your natural hair starts to grow out( believe me the permed part will might start to shed or fall off , your hair stylist should trim off the ends to encourage new growth

5. give it time Rome was not built in a day(depending on how fast your hair grows) you should have a full ,long head of gorgeous natural hair by 18-24 months cheesy

Good Luck ! cheesy

p.s: a good blow dryer is a valuable investment , as your hair gets more natural you are better able to manage it at home with it wink
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by spoilt(f): 9:21pm On Jul 08, 2007
ok ikamefa. i think im going to do it. tongue
but i guess i'll just keep to the hair extensions . i'll just stop retouching. its gonna be wierd. wonder what loverboy will think when he sees the real me? grin
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 3:13am On Jul 09, 2007
or you can also hide under braid or regular extensions while you grow out your natural hair (i did this 'cause i was in high school and wasn't brave enough to wear my natural hair just yet)
as soon as my hair reached 6 inches, i started wearing it out natural more often.

going natural was easier than i thought too. esp if you transition.

yeah conditioning is also really important.

you can do it. i'm sure!!!!!! cheesy
even if you decide that you might relax it later on, just give it a try. lol
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by ikamefa(f): 4:35am On Jul 09, 2007
spoilt:

ok ikamefa. i think im going to do it. tongue
but i guess i'll just keep to the hair extensions . i'll just stop retouching. its going to be wierd. wonder what loverboy will think when he sees the real me? grin

your decision to keep the extension is aight!

at least underneath it your natural hair will start to grow out

i started growing out my perm 2 years ago

all my hair is natural now

i have done errthing under the sun to this natural hair

cut it,color it,press it,twist it grin

i aint going back to perms( can't even stand the thing anymore)

am loving my natural hair grin
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 12:09am On Jul 13, 2007
this is jst beautiful

@divadarlin

wow ----shoulderlength

maybe its in the genes

i love my natural hair but i don't know if it'll get to shoulder length

pics please
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 12:41pm On Jul 14, 2007
salsera:

this is jst beautiful

@divadarlin

wow ----shoulderlength

maybe its in the genes

i love my natural hair but i don't know if it'll get to shoulder length

pics please

you can't really know the length of your natural hair unless you straighten or stretch it.
mine goes a little past my shoulder when i stretch the back but i haven't straightened my entire head of hair yet to see. I've never trimmed it though 'cause i don't want it uneven and even though my ends are pretty healthy, they feel dry compared to the rest.

anyone know any tips on how to trim natural hair?

I have a friend with midback length hair (she'll usually use hotcomb to straighten it and it goes to the middle of her back). she's actually one of my inspirations but she recently relaxed it and now her hair is thinning and falling. The other girl i knew had pretty healthy and long hair too until months after the first relaxer.

I always get jealous when i see the little girls who haven't gotten their first relaxers yet with realllllly big,long, healthy natural hair. i usually pray that their moms leave the beautiful hair alone. but then again, it's usually the girls that beg for the relaxer when they reach a certain age 'cause they want straight hair. lol some of them have very pretty relaxed hair too.

salsera, how long have you had your hair natural? you'll be at shoulder length in no time. don't fret.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 15, 2007
its about 3 plus years

only recently started using lblowdryer to stretch it
but my hair has a natural cycle of length, the middle is the thickest,longest and strongest
the front is second in line but tends to be weak so even if the hair is held too tight it will break IMMEDIATELY

the nape ,just above the back hairline is the shortest and thinnest in terms of volume thats heriditary (when i had relaxers at different stages this area sometimes had NO hair at all)

the back hairline is in the middle in terms of length whilst in terms of texture its the least coarse feels just like baby's hair.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Mandora(f): 12:20pm On Jul 17, 2007
Because it's easier 2 manage dat way
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by verd1(f): 1:04am On Mar 03, 2008
: maintaining your hair as a black woman is generally difficult. I use to get to get perms and it still required some effort to keep my hair up but not as much as it does when natural. I decided to test out going natural and the 1st wk things were good, now my new growth is coming in and things are roughing up really bad. I have to get my hair down every 2 wks to maintain it so I don't walk around looking all bogus. As a college student I find it extremely difficult to maintain natural hair. In response to: that is very different from relaxing ones hair so it has the texture of a white person. Whenever i get my hair washed and flat ironed it looks and feels the same as a perm and generally every blk woman is capable to getting their hair soft and manageable. That is by no means trying to be like the white woman. Our hair can get to that texture w/out a chemical, just bc u see a blk woman with straight hair, silky looking hair don't automatically jump to the assumption that she has a perm. Keeping our appearance up is a priority and everyone will choose a method that works for them. Why do blk men cut their hair to short fades, get waves etc? R they trying to be like the white man or the Latino?
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Imani(f): 11:18pm On Apr 06, 2008
I find it challenging enough to manage permed hair, why should i triple the task of hair management by going natural? My permed hair is long enough for me,
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Blackcat(f): 2:18pm On Apr 07, 2008
It is this same attitude of not trying to be like the white man that has kept the black race backward.(taking care of our appearance, stealing the best traits from them)
Meanwhile the white man does not think twice before picking up traits from the black race to improve themselves e.g. our music, our style of dressing, way we talk, stealing our brains(braindrain), tanning, stealing our culture e.t.c
Girls do what ever you want to improve your appearance please, if you want to stay natural good , if you want to relax your hair by all means do it
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by babyruthy: 8:05pm On Nov 07, 2008
I feel it don't matter whether u relax hair or rock ur cloud 9 dats ur business. My skin is Black and my hair is relaxed and it don't matter what i do with my hair i'll always be black  cheesy. shango if u got a probably with dat den dats ur business kiss.  By da way ThiefOfHearts ur making alot of sense cause some of the people on here are trying 2 start an arguement over nothing when theres more important things to dicuss in life.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by jamerican(m): 5:53am On Nov 29, 2008
OK you all, All over the world women straighten their hair. Even in Japan they all get their hair straightened and skin lightened. Its they tradition for yrs. White women always have gotten their hair curled. what do you think they have all that hair spray for? To give the hair more body and also to hold curls better. I have to defend our black women, causes they are women just like most women all over the world. There is not one white woman on TV you all know that wears natural hair. Look around you people and open your eyes, all women change there hair and have been for yrs.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by tpia: 5:46pm On Nov 29, 2008
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by tpia: 6:09pm On Nov 29, 2008
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by monisade(f): 3:29am On Apr 16, 2009
i dont care! as long as my hair ir reaching my ass.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by klesters: 6:10am On Jul 06, 2009
To the guy that asked the question: you are most ignorant. Since I was little I had African American hair. It was very curly with small ringlets and my white mother didn't know what to do with it. Excuse me for wanting to make it straight so it would be easier to comb through without crying and telling my mother to stop combing through. I think every type of hair is beautiful, and if having my old hair was easy to mange and put in a variety of styles then yes I wouldve kept it. I can still be proud of my Afro features, and I don't have to hate a part of myself to want to change it. If your not an African or African American don't preach to us that are about our hair.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Face scrub /glow body bath (darkspots/acne/cellulite/dark knuck/unevenskintone) / Make-up Artist Chidinma Ezenwelu Converts Herself To A Guy - Pictures / Stephanie Nkechinyere Chukwuemeka Wins 2022 Miss Port Harcourt City Pageant.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.