Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,863 members, 7,821,011 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair (41912 Views)

Why Do Women Flaunt Their Stretch Marks Via Sleeveless Tops? / Why Do Women Suffer With High Heel Shoes. These Are Scary And Crazy / What Do Women Gain By Exposing Their Bodies? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:35pm On Dec 16, 2006
of course you would uche

anyway who wants to bet Sista's hair is relaxed.  cheesy

Donz, you should definitely go the Sharpton route. Just make sure you post a pic for us to see the result  grin
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Uche2nna(m): 11:04pm On Dec 16, 2006
lmao @ toh
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by gbadex1(m): 11:09pm On Dec 16, 2006
*falls off his chair laughing so hard*

lol, Euphoria, you need to take it easy cheesy

lol, sh.t is really getting funny in here. . .
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 11:33pm On Dec 16, 2006
@Uche2nna

You have seen 3 pictures of me, what would you say my hair is? Is it natural or processed, permed, relaxed or what?
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 11:35pm On Dec 16, 2006
Love my kinks, see how they tightly twist on their own?
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Uche2nna(m): 11:40pm On Dec 16, 2006
The Picture says it all grin
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 11:44pm On Dec 16, 2006
The Picture says it all

Don't you just love my kinks Ucche? Would you say my hair has chemicals or would you say my hair is all natural? Also, do you see any natural African resemblance of hair going on there?
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Ndipe(m): 11:52pm On Dec 16, 2006
Much ado about nothing!!!

Divadarlin, if you are going to complain that black women should not perm their hair, then take this advice. Dont communicate in the English Language, since it is the language of the caucasian. Dont eat European cuisine, but limit your intake to African food. Dont even bother going to school in the western world, but rather move back to Naija and choose to school there. And moreso, come out with ethnic hair products that would benefit black women.

And oh, lest I forget, don't eat with cutleries, but with your bare hands, because you don't want to act white.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Uche2nna(m): 12:15am On Dec 17, 2006
@ Sista Natural as far as my eyes can tell

@Ndipe I don't think Divadarlin is complaning about what u are saying. She is just saying ( at least to my understanding) that we should start thinking about solving problems that are peculiar to us be it hair or whatever! Nobody is saying that it is capital crime to perm ones hair but then i agree with her that the reason that natural hair is fussy in terms of maintenance sounds kind of of lame.Ok, it is hard and difficult to m aintain what then have we done to make it a little easier.
Okay let me go a bit further to illustrate what i am thinking. I don't know if u are Igbo but if u are then u should know the way we tap palm wine in our place. That same method was  and has been the same method used for over centuries to tap wine. If my great great grand father comes back to life he is still going to meet the same way of palm wine tapping with all its attendant risks. I dare say that palm wine tapping is kind of peculiar to us and since we have not given so much thot on how to improve it, it still remains that way.If it were of any concern to the white man, I bet u that we will still not be climbing palm trees with ete (rope) to get our delicious palm wine
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Ndipe(m): 12:21am On Dec 17, 2006
I am not Ibo, but an Ibibio man.

I have never tapped palm wine, but I know those palm wine tappers attach themselves to a rope the palmwine tree. We all know it is risky, and can lead to a fall. I dont know of any tapper that has fallen from a tree, but if there was an 'invention' that could make tapping palm wine easier, would it be considered an abandonment of our ancient tradition in favor of modernism? See, black women in the olden days found it hard to maintain their hair. Our hair is coarse and not that easy to manage. The curling comb was invented, and now, women have the choice to either perm their hair, braid it, or for the self concisous Afro woman, maintaining a nappy look is ok for them. I just dont see any link between perming one's hair and abandoning one's black race.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Uche2nna(m): 12:30am On Dec 17, 2006
I aint even talking about abandoning one's race and I did not get that impression from Divadarlin either but rather about being more proactive in terms of what relates to us.
To perm,curl , cut or watever ones hair boils down to a personal choice,,,it is not a race thing.But my concern comes from the reasons that were being given. They were not saying that doing stuff to their hair makes them more attracctive or even more confident.No! The reason was that it was hard to maintain. That suggests that most of them would have wanted to keep the hair natural but just could not because it is hard to maintain.Lack of options and that is what bothers me!
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 12:33am On Dec 17, 2006
Sista, I love your hair!! That's pretty much exactly how my hair is. only a little longer (i want to grow it really long)
+ you've got a wonderful friendly smile cheesy kiss kiss

yes i love how they twist on their own and all that and sometimes i wonder why everyone perms
it's okay for some to perm but why everyone? lol that's why it took me so long to stop using perm plus i've grown enough to do whatever i want w/ my hair even though my mom complianed at first (now she really likes it. lol)
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Uche2nna(m): 12:35am On Dec 17, 2006
@ Ndipe the reason why u dont know of any palmwine tapper that has fallen off a tree is because urs is not a palmwine tappiong community  grin

I cant even begin to count how many have died as a result of slipping off while tapping a tree not to talk of those that fell and survived! Apart from that due to the posture that u have to take while clinmbing the tree u run the risk of having back pains. I would not want to tell u how m any times I had to rub my grandfather's back with some form of ointment for back ache grin
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 12:45am On Dec 17, 2006
Ndipe:

Much ado about nothing!!!

Divadarlin, if you are going to complain that black women should not perm their hair, then take this advice. Dont communicate in the English Language, since it is the language of the caucasian. Dont eat European cuisine, but limit your intake to African food. Dont even bother going to school in the western world, but rather move back to Naija and choose to school there. And moreso, come out with ethnic hair products that would benefit black women.

And oh, lest I forget, don't eat with cutleries, but with your bare hands, because you don't want to act white.

she's not complaining that black women shouldn't perm their hair.
she's just challenging the excuse people are making that "natural hair is hard to manage"
It won't be hard to manage if people work toward improving themselves rather than just taking whatever life throws in their way.

your advice doesn't make sense because she can easily come out and tell you that "if you're going to perm your hair, then take this advice. bleach your skin as well, blah blah blah don't ever eat african food, don't even sing any rap/ african music e.t.c"

so yeah arguments like that don't make sense (uchenna also gave an example w/ the palm wine thing).

perming your hair don't mean your trying to be white e.t.c she's just challenging why people still do it even though it breaks and damages their hair and all that (it works for some people though).
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 12:56am On Dec 17, 2006
WesleyanA

Sista, I love your hair!! That's pretty much exactly how my hair is. only a little longer (i want to grow it really long)
+ you've got a wonderful friendly smile Cheesy Kiss Kiss

Actually Wesley, my hair goes a Little passed my shoulders, that is how beautifully kinky it is, it just really shrinks up. I love my hair. I do many things with it, many. My sisters hair is kinkier, nappier (which ever you prefer) than mines, I am the hairdresser in the family, I keep up her hair as well. I am going to find some pictures of her with her natural hair styles I did in her hair and post it. That will be fun. Thank you for the compliment on my smile.

By the way, I miss you, how are you doing today?

I must say WesleyanA, I am so proud of you. grin
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 1:07am On Dec 17, 2006
Sista:

WesleyanA

Actually Wesley, my hair goes a Little passed my shoulders, that is how beautifully kinky it is, it just really shrinks up. I love my hair. I do many things with it, many. My sisters hair is kinkier, nappier (which ever you prefer) than mines, I am the hairdresser in the family, I keep up her hair as well. I am going to find some pictures of her with her natural hair styles I did in her hair and post it. That will be fun. Thank you for the compliment on my smile.

By the way, I miss you, how are you doing today?

I must say WesleyanA, I am so proud of you. grin

lol mine hasn't grown that long then i guess. i remember the first time i washed it when i cut the rest of my perm off. it shrunk so bad i was scared. lol

i'm doing great. how are you wink
your wonderful too sis!
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by TerraCotta(m): 1:09am On Dec 17, 2006
I hear alot of African and Afrocentric women tak about being proud about their features, color and looks. Yet even the most pro-Afro women relax their hair and straighten them.

I don't get it. You never see women with naturally straight hair trying to curl it up or make it look like those with African hair. Even us men used to do it back in the day but we grew wiser.

Hmmmm , now I like to think of myself as an open-minded person, so perhaps Shango can explain the apparent contradiction in this post for us. I am, to quote another Nairalander, confuzzled by this. In another discussion, you posted the picture of a woman and said that was you. Abi there are two Shangos on Nairaland

Honestly, my first preference is for women with natural hair, but it becomes much more of a debate than it needs to be when people think they can judge your politics from your hairstyle. There's an Outkast lyric about this: "Is every nigga with dreads for the cause? No. So don't get caught up in appearance. "
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 1:15am On Dec 17, 2006
@WesleyanA

lol mine hasn't grown that long then i guess. i remember the first time i washed it when i cut the rest of my perm off. it shrunk so bad i was scared. lol

That's so funny, LOL

i'm doing great. how are you Wink
your wonderful too sis!

Doing fine little sis, just fine.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Uche2nna(m): 1:17am On Dec 17, 2006
I agree with u Terra! Not everybody that calls me lord lord will, (God I am bad at quotations  grin)
But then we are talking about giving ourselves more options than wat we really have instead of just using wat is out there just because there is nothing else to use
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 1:19am On Dec 17, 2006
TerraCotta:

Hmmmm , now I like to think of myself as an open-minded person, so perhaps Shango can explain the apparent contradiction in this post for us. I am, to quote another Nairalander, confuzzled by this. In another discussion, you posted the picture of a woman and said that was you. Abi there are two Shangos on Nairaland

Honestly, my first preference is for women with natural hair, but it becomes much more of a debate than it needs to be when people think they can judge your politics from your hairstyle. There's an Outkast lyric about this: "Is every nigga with dreads for the cause? No. So don't get caught up in appearance. "

shango got pwned. lol
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 5:26am On Dec 17, 2006
Shango is confused, that's all.

Dreads?, I don't think my forefathers wore dreads. cheesy
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by hotangel2(f): 9:16am On Dec 17, 2006
Wow.

Sista i wanna see a picture of your hair, if you don't mind.

-------

To the topic, i really don't think arguing about permed or un-permed hair is worth it. We all know that perming hair is easier than keep natural hair.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 9:17am On Dec 17, 2006
The Senegalese and the Egyptians wore their hair in locks.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 9:19am On Dec 17, 2006
Sista:

The Senegalese and the Egyptians wore their hair in locks.

Yeah but I'm not Senegalese, neither am I Egyptian. Where I come from, dreads are seen as a sign of possession or something and they cut it off A.S.A.P.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 9:23am On Dec 17, 2006
@Hotangel

Some people have agreed that keeping the hair natural is actually easier. With chemically relaxed hair, the hair becomes damaged more easily and if you want your hair to stay as healthy as possible and look good, you must touch the new growth up and you must clip the ends, if you don't, you will have a very mad perm. After that, if you don't know how to do most of those things yourself, you will paying a lot of money to keep it up. If you get to know your natural hair and you love your natural hair and you also see the beauty of it and in it, there are many things, wonderful things you can do to your hair. People especially white people, they area always asking to touch my hair. I have been told that my hair is so soft. I love my hair I must say.

Here is my pic, you better hurry to come see it.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 9:25am On Dec 17, 2006
@Donzman

Where I come from, dreads are seen as a sign of possession or something and they cut it off A.S.A.P.

Posession? LOL
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 9:28am On Dec 17, 2006
Yeah some sort of demonic possession, lol, They call it "isi dada" and they cut if off before the child matures.

Those twists are natural?, I used to wear my hair really long and they never twisted like that. I don't believe you!

Sista, you look like a Yoruba woman. You should make peace with ThiefofHearts, you might be her long lost sister. grin
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 9:35am On Dec 17, 2006
@Donzman

Where I come from, dreads are seen as a sign of possession or something and they cut it off A.S.A.P.

Your just jealous. I don't know who was twisting your hair but I am a master twister. cool I am the family hairdresser. My family comes to me to hook them up with all the hair do's, chemically treated hair and natural. I specialize in natural hair styles.

If yo want your hair to twist tightly like that in my picture, twist immediately after you wash it. The hair is more springy and snap back when it is wet. Make sure you put some type of oil on the hair and in the scalp before you twist or while you are twisting as you go. If some parts of the hair dries before you finish it, have a water bottle handy to wet the hair again. wink
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Seun(m): 9:36am On Dec 17, 2006
It's the white peoples fault that black people think that sort of hair is "demon possession" cheesy
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 9:37am On Dec 17, 2006
Sista, you look like a Yoruba woman.

I have been told that many times. I am going to post a picture one day of my grandmother, she really looks Yoruba. grin

What exactly does Yoruba look like Donzman? Do Yuroba have a facial signature?
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 9:38am On Dec 17, 2006
@Seun

Not really, this is something people in the villages do. It's more about tradition that christianity, they just don't like dreads. angry

@Sista

I already cut my hair, thanks for the advice.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 9:39am On Dec 17, 2006
It's the white peoples fault that black people think that sort of hair is "demon possession

From what I was told it was the British who gave Locs the name (dred locks). It is said they used to always say that they dread seeing those Rasta's. Something like that I believe.

Any way, Rasta's do not like it when people refer to their hair as dred locks. They don't like it at all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Face scrub /glow body bath (darkspots/acne/cellulite/dark knuck/unevenskintone) / Make-up Artist Chidinma Ezenwelu Converts Herself To A Guy - Pictures / Stephanie Nkechinyere Chukwuemeka Wins 2022 Miss Port Harcourt City Pageant.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.