Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,443 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair - Fashion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair (41915 Views)

Why Do Women Flaunt Their Stretch Marks Via Sleeveless Tops? / Why Do Women Suffer With High Heel Shoes. These Are Scary And Crazy / What Do Women Gain By Exposing Their Bodies? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by naijadiva2(f): 10:28pm On Apr 30, 2007
@ topic

the reason why i perm my hair is not because i want to be white or whatever but because its easy to get a comb through it. i'll go natural if u buy me a new comb everyday.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omoge(f): 1:08pm On May 01, 2007
@spoilt and everyone,

thank you for your idea sisters wink
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by shango(m): 7:51am On May 12, 2007
weaves are disgusting. Better to go bald than attach dead hair to your scalp. Uggh
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by viee(f): 12:02pm On May 12, 2007
shango:

weaves are disgusting. Better to go bald than attach dead hair to your scalp. Uggh

my dear its all about looking good!
whatever makes one look great, im all for it
after all, looking good is good business! wink
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Ollie39: 12:03pm On May 12, 2007
To keep it manageable. The afro hair in its natural state is kinky and therefore difficult and painful to comb.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by whiteroses(f): 10:54am On May 17, 2007
because unrelaxed hair for most people is nappy and ugly and hard to manage actually its not beautiful it's pressed and nappy but you can say its strong thick and healthy and wouldn't fall of
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by bdaf(m): 11:55am On May 17, 2007
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 3:37am On May 20, 2007
whiteroses:

because unrelaxed hair for most people is nappy and ugly and hard to manage actually its not beautiful it's pressed and nappy but you can say its strong thick and healthy and wouldn't fall of

you're wrong on all counts.

unrelaxed hair is not ugly. depending on what your standard of beauty is. But if you're following an european/ white beauty standard, we blacks will always fall on the shorter end because we resemble them the least. esp west africans.
I don't follow a white beauty standard as you probably can tell and i wear my natural hair with pride.

most people believe natural hair is hard to manage. well, i say this is true depending on how you want to style your hair. Just as it is harder for whites to keep braids and many african styles, It also certainly is harder for africans and blacks in general to try to force/comb their nappy hair straight. It won't happen sorry. learn to love your hair for what it is and not fight it.
keep the relaxer if you can't.

nappy hair is far from "strong and thick," literally. It's actually the most vulnerable of all hair type because of the stress from it being really coiled up. it is also the finest of all hair types but again, the really coiled shape makes it appear to be very thick (which i love cool).
but, natural hair certainly is stronger and thicker than chemically over processed (i.e relaxed) hair. if you want weak hair, get a relaxerand get some more relaxer and get some more on top of that. kiss kiss kiss

natural hair can and certainly WILL fall off if you don't take care of it
ie combing it 10 times a day even though your hair is begging you to keep the comb off. lol
not mosturizing it regularly. our hair needs maximum moisture. the coiled shape makes it harder for oil from the scalp to flow up to the tips.
etc
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by feyiapata(f): 2:30pm On May 24, 2007
i am really sure d person who asked the question is a guy. for a girl, it is not easy to keep natural hair. it tangles, not easy to comb and it is not always attractive. my hair is d full, hard and spongy type. if it was natural, i would have to tie a scarf on it just for it to go down. our weather does not support our hair.so,
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 8:02pm On May 24, 2007
@feyi_apata
did you read the last say, 6 pages

please read and educate urself wink
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 3:10am On May 25, 2007
salsera:

@feyi_apata
did you read the last say, 6 pages

please read and educate yourself wink

I LOVE YOU kiss
@feyi_apata, in addition to reading the last 6 pages, you can also check out this other thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-45142.0.html
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by spoilt(f): 4:29am On May 25, 2007
all said and done, nappy hair is difficult to manage.
saying that doesnt mean you arent proud to be a black woman. it just means our hair is difficult to manage. simple.
all these guys talking here have never had a full head of natural hair. only at most one inch. so how can they know what the heck it is like running a comb through an afro nappy and taming it for work? grin
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omogenaija(f): 4:31am On May 25, 2007
so once u put hair cream in ur hair is it considered natural ?
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 2:47pm On May 26, 2007
spoilt:

all said and done, nappy hair is difficult to manage.
saying that doesnt mean you arent proud to be a black woman. it just means our hair is difficult to manage. simple.

there are only two reasons i can imagine that natural hair is difficult to manage:

1)we don't have companies dedicated to providing for the care of natural hair. ex when you go to the stores, there's pretty much nothing except for a tiny little section of an aisle (if it's there at all) dedicated to women who have natural hair. majority of what you'll see are relaxers and gels for black women etc
if only we had just a quarter of what whites hair care industry has.

2) we think that managing natural hair means trying to make it appear as straight as possible.
of course this will be difficult. our hair is far from being straight.

all these guys talking here have never had a full head of natural hair. only at most one inch. so how can they know what the heck it is like running a comb through an afro nappy and taming it for work? grin

nope. I have 6 inches of natural hair and growing (i've been natural for only a year and about 4 mnths) i'm keeping my hair natural for the rest of my life.
visit nappturality to see pics of full headed natural women.
i don't comb my hair often because my hair hates the comb. i wash it, twist it, leave it on for a day and take my twists out. or i braid it.

If we disrespect our hair, there's no way other people are going to respect it. If all black women decide to go natural in the US, who dares say that we'll need to "tame" it for work? or make it look as much as possible as white women's hair texture.

like i said visit this thread for some pics
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-45142.0.html

there are so much more pics but i don't want to post people's pics w/o their permission so i might have to paint their faces out etc. i'll post pics once i do that.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 2:52pm On May 26, 2007
omogenaija:

so once u put hair cream in your hair is it considered natural ?

as long as this "hair cream" doesn't contain chemicals that permanently alters the texture of your hair.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by sisimose(f): 3:02pm On May 26, 2007
wesleyana hiya
men you are brave, is it really easy to keep natural hair? i may just try it.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 3:49pm On May 26, 2007
it requires being brave is all i can tell you. esp. if you don't have support from anyone.

@sisimose, it is easy to keep natural hair if all the women around you have natural hair. but if all of them including your friends etc have relaxed hair, then it will be difficult.
most of my friends are non-black so it was easier for me. and three of few black friends i have have natural hair. it was really easy for me 'cause it made me proud to have my hair. that God didn't make a mistake creating my hair.
the only difficult part was finding hair products made for natural hair. but i found nappturality.com so i got even a larger support system for my hair( like most women with natural hair). lol

it's also easier if you yourself like the idea of natural hair. I've loved to have my hair natural since i was little. i got a perm and my cousin didn't. at first i was happy but when my hair started to fall out and hers was still growing, healthy and full, i made up my mind from a young age that i'll never relax my hair again when i was old enough. but i did 'cause i wasn't brave enough until i turned almost 16. i used extension braids to transition though. i was growing my natural hair underneath and relaxed hair on top until the natural hair was long enough for me to cut off all the relaxed hair. i wore braids though out that period.

from what i heard though, the first year is the hardest. once you get past the first year of going natural, it's usually easier to keep the journey going.

sorry for the long post. lol (i feel like a natural hair representative now. j/k)
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by sisimose(f): 8:10pm On May 31, 2007
thanks so much WesleyAna smiley
you have a very good point about the friends thing, becos i normally go to the hairdressers with my best friend, and it would be odd to break from that tradition of all those pressing and relaxing business. But i may be able to convince her, anyways i am going to have to go natural now, i have no choice as my present condition demands it. Presently i am rocking braids , so may be i will just stick to that to help the transition, i really do want to go natural.

Just how do you style your hair daily? I am not a fan of locks, what would you recommend in way of hair care products to acheive healthy and clean looking afro?
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 9:07pm On Jun 02, 2007
i won't advice you to try to convince your friends just yet. they'll think you're crazy or something. just say you like a change if they ask you or give weird looks.
maybe after a year or two when they themselves start complimenting your lenght, fullness, then hint it at them. lol

yeah, rock the braids till your natural hair is long enough for you too cut off all your perms (about 6 months or so. more or less depending on what you're comfortable with). or you can try twists with extensions. etc

anyways, for starters, get a moisturizer (in form of hair lotion or oil). it should have no grease.
some people recommend castor oil and shea butter. either one or both is fine.

also, don't wash your hair everyday (it'll leave your hair dry but you need moisture). once a week or less is fine. Conditioning your hair should be the priority. use conditioner A LOT.

never attempt to comb out your afro unless it's quite damp or moisturized.
combing is also easier after a twist out or braid out.

more importantly visit nappturality.com
for transitioners.

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?s=0cb9c269202a3ae77e2b7dfcaff60b72&showforum=4

just overall, take a look at the site.

(i'm not a fan of locks on women either lol)
i'll post a pic of my hair soon. it's not that long yet because it's only been a year and a couple of months and i made mistakes when i first started 'cause i didn't get any help. but i've learned (and still learning)and it's fuller and healthier than when i was relaxed.

I love you so much for your bravery sisimose. smiley
i feel supported.

trust me, you won't regret it even though you'll have some moments when you're frustrated (but when you think about it, you'll find out that you probably were more frustrated with a relaxer)
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by sisimose(f): 12:05am On Jun 03, 2007
smileyoh thanks a million WesleyAna. I am definitely going to do it. wow that site i have added to my favorites thanks a million, didn't know such existed.
you know what? lol i have just saved all the tips you wrote down here , and named it ''back my roots by wes '' lol, corny right grin anyway thanks a lot. When i say i am sick of all the relaxing and crap i am sick. thankfully I was given naturally long hair so i should be fine. No going back now thanks again kiss
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 3:27am On Jun 04, 2007
i wore my hair in an afro today and made my bro take a pic. i would have posted it if you were online.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by sisimose(f): 11:52pm On Jun 04, 2007
ah! please darling don't post any of your picture on line please, not while we have mad people running around this place, Again thanks so much. Did you have to go shape it , cut it into the afro style? sorry luvie i will so bother you with questions, bet you wishing you never posted tongue grin. see ya smiley
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 6:50am On Jun 23, 2007
no i just combed it out and used an headband in front. (or sometimes i braid the front and the rest is an afro.)
i just used my hand to make it go into place. good thing natural hair is elastic/ shrinks and stretches. I just push it down wherever it's pointing out and stretch it out wherever it's shrunk up.
I don't know how to explain. lol
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jun 23, 2007
are u really in naija

and r u really 17 shocked

what hair products do you use and where do u buy them from
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 12:00am On Jun 24, 2007
no i'm not in naija. but i wish i was in naija though.
yeah. I'll be 18 next year. tongue cheesy lol

I braid my hair most of the time and don't use much products
but i always make sure that i moisturize my hair w/ hair lotion (no grease)

i currently use sulfur8 moisturizing hair lotion and Organic leave-in spray.

i condition my hair after i take out braids with Organic replenishing pak conditioner.

Conditioner is really good for dry hair. It just makes everything soft and healthy.

I'm not in naija so i don't really know what products there are over there.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omogenaija(f): 12:04am On Jun 24, 2007
@ salsera
i think i've seen an ad in a naija film for a beauty store and they had organic hair products , organic is really good

but make sure u buy the original b/c i just got some hair things from naija and they dont look authentic embarassed
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 12:08am On Jun 24, 2007
wow. Nigerian stores have it too? i didn't know that but that's good.

yeah. organic is awesome. i love the brand.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omoge(f): 4:42pm On Jun 24, 2007
my hair is still in natural state. not that soft, not that hard. i use Pink Oil light on it. i shampoo and condition with Mane and Tail once in 2weeks.
daily, i use pink oil and cover with shower cap before shower. after shower, i just comb it and leave it like that. it looks okay.

still looking for somewhere to braid at a good price. all the saloon i have been to all charging 95 for corn row. the senegal lady who does hair in her home also asked for same amount for plain corn row. nah! won't pay such. so i just comb and leave it. when it's scatter, i just wet my hands and rub my hair and then it soft a bit for combing.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by ikamefa(f): 4:44pm On Jun 24, 2007
omoge:

my hair is still in natural state. not that soft, not that hard. i use Pink Oil light on it. i shampoo and condition with Mane and Tail once in 2weeks.
daily, i use pink oil and cover with shower cap before shower. after shower, i just comb it and leave it like that. it looks okay.

still looking for somewhere to braid at a good price. all the saloon i have been to all charging 95 for corn row. the senegal lady who does hair in her home also asked for same amount for plain corn row. nah! won't pay such. so i just comb and leave it. when it's scatter, i just wet my hands and rub my hair and then it soft a bit for combing.

shocked na wah oh cheesy
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:49pm On Jun 24, 2007
wow that's damn expensive. cornrow shouldnt be more than $40-$50.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omogenaija(f): 8:06pm On Jun 24, 2007
@ omoge i hope u mean 95 naira tongue
those cornrows better last 4 months -- looking brand new to pay $95

when i use to do corn rows my friend would do it for me for $10 and some chinese food
and i had crazy designs cool
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omoge(f): 8:36pm On Jun 24, 2007
i wish it was my sister  grin yes 95!! na so i see am o. i have had to go around but it seems they all had meetings lol to name same price. all the senegalese ppls. funny one lady asked me to name a price i told her 45 lol she was like 45? i said yes because you asked me to name a price, she shouted what?? lol i said yeah! and she added ''excuse me with attitude  grin'' i said well 95 for corn row? puleez. she was working at her sister's and from ny. so i said ok i will let u know what i decides and drove off. her sister called me on my way and said her sister whom i met in the salon was crying, that she is tired of having people come in and leave. so she asked me to come do it for like 75. i said will think about it. never went back. ha!! it's too much.

just had a Nigeria lady on campus and she had corn row in attachment. i asked her who did it and where, said another Nigeria lady for 70. i just smile. kind of funny what's going on.

i saw a lady at a flea market she braids. i told her i wanted a shade Adu like style. she said 120. that she will do it for like 7hrs. i was like what? these style i have been doing in the past don't take 3hrs to do. me just leave. i need my bucks to shop for summer lol  grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Face scrub /glow body bath (darkspots/acne/cellulite/dark knuck/unevenskintone) / Make-up Artist Chidinma Ezenwelu Converts Herself To A Guy - Pictures / Stephanie Nkechinyere Chukwuemeka Wins 2022 Miss Port Harcourt City Pageant.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.