Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,258 members, 7,818,883 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? (30488 Views)

Human Arm And Leg Found In A Crocodile's Belly In Indonesia (Photos) / O.M.G! See What Was Found In The Belly Of A Big Snake Killed In Nigeria (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by XCLUX(m): 10:19am On May 28, 2016
Go and read the book titled "fate of the cockroach"
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Ephemmm: 10:21am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
In summary, insecticides are poisons and it target a cockroaches nervous system. When you spray an insecticide, those neurotoxins cause tremors and muscle spasms, which flip it onto its back, and without muscle coordination, that’s the position it dies . Hope it helps

Lie lie! Even the one I used broom to nack will still end up die facing up.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by nijabazaar: 10:23am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
I beieve most of these insecticides are organophosphate nerve poisons. The nerve poison often inhibits
cholinesterase, an enzyme that breaks down acetyl choline (ACh), a neurotransmitter. With extra ACh in the
nervous system, the cockroach has muscular spasms which often result in the cockroach flipping on its back.
Without muscular coordination the cockroach cannot right itself and eventually dies in its upside down-
position... wink

Why humans no dey stand when dem die?

U went, u go, u conquered school.

exactly as we learnt in biochemistry class.

kudos
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by LEXYCOM: 10:28am On May 28, 2016
because before it gave up the ghost, it was crying,praying and looking up to God to avenge it death.........

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by hamzeiy: 10:29am On May 28, 2016
AmAlbert:
In oda words Dem dey say 'Thank you baba God, I don accomplish d mission wey yhu send me, see my Belle, NA dat same quantity of food wey bello chop die me sef I chop so, I no cheat o'.....

Yinmu grin grin grin grin

*Licks Banana and okpete
hahahahahaha....u no well at allll...lmao
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by rman: 10:30am On May 28, 2016
Cockroaches breathe through their skin

When you spray insecticides on cockroaches, it blocks this opening and they struggle to breathe...in a bid to get air , they flip over before they die
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by kevoh(m): 10:30am On May 28, 2016
Silkmoth33:
They are not dead! They are just wetin for the effects to wear off! If you wait long enough, for let's say 3 centuries you will be amazed at how dey will move again! They are just chilling on their backs cos it's much comfy that way.

The ants in my house don't have that much patience if you as a 'cockroach' make the mistake of lying on your back for more than ten minutes then be ready to be torn into pieces by these ants.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by vchykp(m): 10:38am On May 28, 2016
The dead roches are only thanking God for life well spent..!
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by vchykp(m): 10:39am On May 28, 2016
The dead roches are only thanking God for a life well spent..!
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by eseosa77(m): 10:39am On May 28, 2016
Oh God I thank you today for making my topic to hit front page.

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by JOAN11(f): 10:52am On May 28, 2016
niggi4life:
I don't think you hate roaches as much as I do....merely spelling the name alone gives me goose bumps and shiver down my spine
lols
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by MztrChukwu(m): 10:54am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
I beieve most of these insecticides are organophosphate nerve poisons. The nerve poison often inhibits
cholinesterase, an enzyme that breaks down acetyl choline (ACh), a neurotransmitter. With extra ACh in the
nervous system, the cockroach has muscular spasms which often result in the cockroach flipping on its back.
Without muscular coordination the cockroach cannot right itself and eventually dies in its upside down-
position... wink

in pidgin?
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by VaginaTerrorist(m): 11:01am On May 28, 2016
I Think it's Because They Love Lying in State Like Human Too.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by TheLoneCitizen(m): 11:01am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
In summary, insecticides are poisons and it target a cockroaches nervous system. When you spray an insecticide, those neurotoxins cause tremors and muscle spasms, which flip it onto its back, and without muscle coordination, that’s the position it dies . Hope it helps
This has nothing to do with the insecticide, dude,
pick up a roach and throw it at the wall forcefully, then see the elucidation.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by aprokomania(m): 11:03am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
position... wink

cholinergic blockade explains muscle spasms and dyskinesia but it doesn't explain why the insect flips over on its back.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by omonnakoda: 11:08am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
position... wink

lame explanation
Do all cockroaches die from insectide? Even when dey die from hunger or malaria its the same thing and why must muscular spasm flip it upside down why don't flies and mosquitoes die upside down?
Also when humans drown and float in rivers they also float facing upwards

In conclusion cockraoaches and humans are cousins
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by franugo(m): 11:09am On May 28, 2016
anyicash:
Cos they are looking on upon their God.

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Nobody: 11:09am On May 28, 2016
Silkmoth33:
They are not dead! They are just wetin for the effects to wear off! If you wait long enough, for let's say 3 centuries you will be amazed at how dey will move again! They are just chilling on their backs cos it's much comfy that way.

Guy you've got it all wrong! These invertebrates don't have the complex central nervous system as higher animals! Their is no neurotransmitter or nervous system potentiating the propagation of action potentials in this organism.
Furthermore! AntiAcetylcholinesterases don't selectively pick out certain neural synapses to block! It's always all or nothing. A block will result in any of the following: fasciculations, floppyiness and paralysis not spasms or tremors.

your head dey there!
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Ben6ene: 11:12am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
position... wink

A Biochemist of course, how can I reach you, I am also a Biochemist.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Chrisx1x(m): 11:22am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
I beieve most of these insecticides are organophosphate nerve poisons. The nerve poison often inhibits[b]
cholinesterase[/b] ,an enzyme that breaks down acetyl choline (ACh), a neurotransmitter. With extra ACh in the
nervous system, the cockroach has [b]muscular spasms[/b]which often result in the cockroach flipping on its back.
Without [b]muscular coordination[/b]the cockroach cannot right itself and eventually dies in its upside down-
position... wink

you are confusing us the more with these jargons.simple question wey d guy ask .**walks out of thread
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Originalsly: 11:25am On May 28, 2016
They say ...in fact I heard from a reliable source that cockroaches die face down if a natural death but if being killed.... would try to look the killer in the eyes ....and that last look can bring bad luck to that person. So op... after the massacre. .. any bad luck?...like failures in tests?...interview?...lost money?..gf?
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Nobody: 11:33am On May 28, 2016
Cockroaches have exo-skeltons and they have a blood circulation system well coordinated with it, that is hydraulic by nature. The natural state of their legs is curled up and a force of exertion combined with the pushing of blood through their legs causes them to straighten. When the cockroach grows weak due to lack of food or old age, they find it harder to exert to force their legs "open" As they can't summon the effort to keep all the legs open, one side may collapse and cause them to tip over. Insecticides usually contain chemicals which affect their nervous system, and causes different enzymes to build up in the cockroach. These may cause muscular spasms because of which the it flips onto its back. Even when a normal healthy cockroach finds itself with its back on the ground, it has a lot of trouble getting back on its feet. They get back up by wriggling their legs a lot. When they are too weak to do this they are stuck, and die shortly afterwards as they become too weak to right themselves. If a normal cockroach has difficulty righting itself when turned over, a roach with an affected nervous system would definitely have much more trouble in doing so. The struggle to upright itself finally ends when the poison from the insecticide kills the cockroach. All roaches don't die lying on their backs – many end up as prey of animals. The roaches that had their fate sealed by the insecticide or starved, probably end their life upside down.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by krak101(m): 11:36am On May 28, 2016
See research topic abeg. Where are the experts in the house grin
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by wtfCode: 11:39am On May 28, 2016
Only female roaches stays like that b4 they die while males don't.
They're like that 'cus they're wishing their pussies could be knacked real hard b4 they die.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by sagieramos(m): 11:54am On May 28, 2016
Lamor:
;DMaybe na overfeeding kill am..bt how come d Nigeria economy is collapsing facing down?

Mrs Ebony. i love ur colour. wish i could have u
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by NevetsIbot(m): 11:55am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
position... wink

SPEAK ENGLISH!!!! I didn't even understand one sentence
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by yetseyi(f): 11:56am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
position... wink

You must be a biochemist.
Proudly metabolite.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by benji93: 11:57am On May 28, 2016
eseosa77:
I ve always wonder each time I spray my house with insecticide,on most occasions I normally discovered that the cockroach would die with their stomach facing up.Have any one notices this or is there any scientific explanation to this.

Below is the pics.
Seyi signs in thinking. ...................Simple, as a physicist, i would say the back of the cockroach has a lower center of gravity and a greater stability. When a cockroach dies, the lower end of the cockroach behaves like a table. When a table with dostorted legs is supported on its legs, what happens, the table flips over and stops when it attains stability. So when a cockroach is alive, it is always sensitive to stability, so it always moves its limbs ensuring stability as it does it.When it dies, the cockroach cannot respond to stability any longer, so it behaves just like any other non-living thing. When the center of gravity falls outside its support, there is a moment about its support, hence it flips over. To the lame man, there is a part of the body where the mass of the body can be said to be concentrated, just like when you place a uniform ruler on a support, it keeps turning toward one end until unless the ruler is supported at its center. This occurs because, the mass of the ruler concentrated at its center is just vertically inline with the point of support,as i observed in the previously stated clase, when the center of mass and the support are not inline, they flip over. This same anology can be drawn from the example of a table with wobbled legs, and a death cockroach. So if i am able to hit a cockroach from above such that, all its limbs crushes underneath it at once, it might die without flipping over. But this case is less likely, cockroach no go wait make you hit am, so u might never be able to achieve this action.You can ask any further questions on this. Proud Physicist..................... Seyi signs out in satisfaction.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by miketayo(m): 11:57am On May 28, 2016
LastMumu:
Below nairalanders is a clear example of what religion does to the brain and what science does and why Africa would continue to struggle. The first person I quoted is obviously mentally lazy, he does not know neither does he care to know. As far as he is concerned, only God knows - that is how most Africans think.
The second person I quoted is the opposite of the first person I quoted - that is how we Africans need to start thinking. cheesy

hope u realize none of them answered the question
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by miketayo(m): 11:59am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
position... wink

u didnt answer the question bro
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Kimoni: 12:08pm On May 28, 2016
grin grin grin see queshion, but would be nice to know the answer though
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by tumbez: 12:08pm On May 28, 2016
grayht:
position... wink

....hahahahah I think there skeletal system is madeup of chitin, right??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Have You Been Bitten By A Cockroach Before?11 / Human-like Behaviors In Animals / Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.