Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? (30481 Views)

Human Arm And Leg Found In A Crocodile's Belly In Indonesia (Photos) / O.M.G! See What Was Found In The Belly Of A Big Snake Killed In Nigeria (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Nobody: 12:11pm On May 28, 2016
miketayo:

hope u realize none of them answered the question

At least one attempted to, the other was too mentally lazy to try. undecided
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by quivah(f): 12:11pm On May 28, 2016
grayht:
I beieve most of these insecticides are organophosphate nerve poisons. The nerve poison often inhibits
cholinesterase, an enzyme that breaks down acetyl choline (ACh), a neurotransmitter. With extra ACh in the
nervous system, the cockroach has muscular spasms which often result in the cockroach flipping on its back.
Without muscular coordination the cockroach cannot right itself and eventually dies in its upside down-
position... wink

Why humans no dey stand when dem die?
quora.com
Next time, please provide a source so that others can learn directly from its origin and not your half copy.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Nobody: 12:15pm On May 28, 2016
quivah:

quora.com
Next time, please provide a source so that others can learn directly from its origin and not your half copy.

lolz! cheesy
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by claremont(m): 12:16pm On May 28, 2016
grayht:
I beieve most of these insecticides are organophosphate nerve poisons. The nerve poison often inhibits
cholinesterase, an enzyme that breaks down acetyl choline (ACh), a neurotransmitter. With extra ACh in the
nervous system, the cockroach has muscular spasms which often result in the cockroach flipping on its back.
Without muscular coordination the cockroach cannot right itself and eventually dies in its upside down-
position... wink

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-cockroaches-die-on-their-backs
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by quivah(f): 12:19pm On May 28, 2016
coollabman:

lolz! cheesy
Hi smiley
I lost your number and forgot your username so I was unable to fill you in with my placement. Have been accepted at Fiiro smiley , tho I'm still considering my school's teaching hospital because the tfares from my place in lag to Fiiro is heavy fa.
I'm yet to check with nafdac,, please send me a message on WhatsApp.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Nobody: 12:19pm On May 28, 2016
I don't think the explanation requires all these scientific jargons earlier mentioned.
I've often observed this phenomenon myself and I think there's just a simple reason to it.
The cockroaches struggle viciously to stay alive and get away from the area they had been attacked.
They continue moving as long as their legs can reach the ground or an object. In the process of this struggle they get progressively weaker and weaker as the insecticides are known to prevent normal respiration.
They often flip on their backs earlier on but as long as they got the strength they are able to get right up and continue the race to stay alife.
However there comes a time when they flip to their backs and have no more strength to get right up. They could still get back to position if only their feet could hook up to any nearby object otherwise they remain and die in that position.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by macaranta(m): 12:24pm On May 28, 2016
xavier0327:

In ENGLISH please!

Lol...seriously dude displayed some Hon. Patrick syndromes.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Swaggerlomo: 12:32pm On May 28, 2016
Cos dey want to b put inside coffin,jst like human beings when dey die
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by aemmy: 12:37pm On May 28, 2016
I think its simple : dia bak is smooth nd so is d floor nd dis makes it difficult for dem to turn wen dey flip in struggle nd thereby die struggling.. Even d ones dt are nt sprayed struggle a lot to turn wen dey find dia bak on d floor bt dey av strength to get bak on dia feet; the strength which d ones struggling for death don't av
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Nobody: 12:38pm On May 28, 2016
Their breathing organ ---- lies at both side of their belly, i think they try to reach for fresh air by facing up
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by AndroBlaze: 12:46pm On May 28, 2016
quivah:

quora.com

You are right. He should have been humble enough to do so.

Here's another link (question dealt with at number 6) with all things cockroach.

http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/kunkel/cockroach_faq.html#Q6

I found the answer to the question on the "sensing fear" very interesting as I always wondered about it.

http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/kunkel/cockroach_faq.html#Q82
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Sikariyelwa: 12:47pm On May 28, 2016
The poison in the insecticide affect them on the belly region where their bare body is not covered by the feather. They now turn their belly up with the hope that breeze will blow off the poison off.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by mamaafrik(m): 12:49pm On May 28, 2016
Silkmoth33:
They are not dead! They are just wetin for the effects to wear off! If you wait long enough, for let's say 3 centuries you will be amazed at how dey will move again! They are just chilling on their backs cos it's much comfy that way.

Guy you've got it all wrong! These invertebrates don't have the complex central nervous system as higher animals! Their is no neurotransmitter or nervous system potentiating the propagation of action potentials in this organism.
Furthermore! AntiAcetylcholinesterases don't selectively pick out certain neural synapses to block! It's always all or nothing. A block will result in any of the following: fasciculations, floppyiness and paralysis not spasms or tremors.
can u and your other veterinary doctor just translate all those "ereja esebe "grammar into yoruba please!
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Nobody: 1:02pm On May 28, 2016
grayht:
position... wink

nice one. Did you study biochemistry??
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Nobody: 1:24pm On May 28, 2016
quivah:

Hi smiley
I lost your number and forgot your username so I was unable to fill you in with my placement. Have been accepted at Fiiro smiley , tho I'm still considering my school's teaching hospital because the tfares from my place in lag to Fiiro is heavy fa.
I'm yet to check with nafdac,, please send me a message on WhatsApp.
Hi, sorry for interfering but with your post, it seems you got an IT placement at Fiiro. I just did alil research about the company, are exams written ? , what course are you presently studying? Thanks
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by djblue007(m): 1:35pm On May 28, 2016
grayht:
position... wink

You make me remember that interesting course in my 200L Entomology.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by quivah(f): 1:38pm On May 28, 2016
That:
Hi, sorry for interfering but with your post, it seems you got an IT placement at Fiiro. I just did alil research about the company, are exams written ? , what course are you presently studying? Thanks
Its alright. No, no entrance exam. Just go there with your school IT letter attached with a handwritten application letter and a photocopy of your school's ID card. And submit then to the receptionist.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by quivah(f): 1:40pm On May 28, 2016
AndroBlaze:

Here's another link (question dealt with at number 6) with all things cockroach.

I found the answer to the question on the "sensing fear" very interesting as I always wondered about it.

Abi Dont mind him. The original post he copied from was more interesting and the page contained better and in depth informations than his copy and paste. He wan take another man's work shine.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Nobody: 1:48pm On May 28, 2016
quivah:

Its alright. No, no entrance exam. Just go there with your school IT letter attached with a handwritten application letter and a photocopy of your school's ID card. And submit then to the receptionist.
wow, thanks but do they pay ? lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by quivah(f): 1:50pm On May 28, 2016
That:
wow, thanks but do they pay ? lipsrsealed
No sad but the experience will be worth more. But it's better if you stay near sha
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by riczy(m): 2:03pm On May 28, 2016
Hu I go ask?
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Megasaucy(f): 3:22pm On May 28, 2016
... because they die laughing!!!
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by antispexish(m): 3:22pm On May 28, 2016
anyicash:
Cos they are looking on upon their God.

for vengeance!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Nobody: 3:38pm On May 28, 2016
quivah:

No sad but the experience will be worth more. But it's better if you stay near sha
ooh well, its kinda far from where I stay.. thanks for the info
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by DanAdes525(m): 4:43pm On May 28, 2016
grayht:
position... wink

This sounds like Biochemistry....I think I should make my research on this to draw necessary conclusion.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by DanAdes525(m): 5:06pm On May 28, 2016
AndroBlaze:

Thanks for the link to the posted answer. As I was fully enlightened. But cockroaches no b priority now
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by itzsniper(m): 5:16pm On May 28, 2016
xavier0327:

In ENGLISH please!
bros u just talk my mind, can u imagine DST grama?
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Nobody: 5:18pm On May 28, 2016
why dey are struggling dey lie with their and due to the fact that dia legs cant touch d floor dey find it difficult to turn
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by bamirotola: 5:39pm On May 28, 2016
I think it's because of their struggle before d last gasp...Even human @ d position d last breathe leaves dia body.... try killing it with slippers and make sure dey die once, dey will die belly down... dose forming grammar here r d dullest in dia class... this is common sense... I have landed
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by owagbeba: 7:12pm On May 28, 2016
eyekaynoble:
PLAGIARISM!!! Those last remarks though... U stole my thoughts & writings. Nevermind, i'll not press charges. Olodo rabata! Copy n paste. We know ur types

Bro, you are the typical Nigerian that never seems to address the issue or discussion on ground, but rather insult some else for trying. If it's Plagiarism...then GOOD! we love it. He has attempted an answer to the question. YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT RUBBISH HIS EFFORT! And honestly I hate this sorta crab mentality amongst US
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by mikolo80: 7:19pm On May 28, 2016
xavier0327:

In ENGLISH please!
truly our educational system is finished
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by drstan(m): 8:07pm On May 28, 2016
grayht:
position... wink

bch 420...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Have You Been Bitten By A Cockroach Before?11 / Human-like Behaviors In Animals / Do It Yourself Thread: How To Install A Ceiling Fan (new Room Or Old)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.