Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,714 members, 7,809,704 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:35 PM

Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers - Politics (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers (30429 Views)

Kano Deports 60,000 Beggars To Four States, Other Countries / PHOTOS: Beggers In Front Of National Mosque When Buhari Came To Pray / Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 11:32pm On Aug 30, 2009
off topic

i wonder if this amaka is a juvenile.Always getting thrilled with muscular bodies.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 11:33pm On Aug 30, 2009
@asha she neva said that so why the attack?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 11:35pm On Aug 30, 2009
igbo boy:

Ask Sjeezy wink
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by THEAMAKA(f): 11:36pm On Aug 30, 2009
asha 80:

off topic

i wonder if this amaka is a juvenile.Always getting thrilled with muscular bodies.
excuse me? who said anything about his picture?

igbo boy:

exactly! anyway were going to forget about that stupid fued on the other thread cause youre my igbo brother. lol

asha 80:

Ask Sjeezy wink
damn didnt know you followed me here like twitter. sheesh!
sjeezy is different. yeah i like his body, and?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 11:38pm On Aug 30, 2009
no comment
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by THEAMAKA(f): 11:41pm On Aug 30, 2009
igbo boy i really dont get you. lol
hahaha! cheesy
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by gadogado(m): 11:41pm On Aug 30, 2009
all these southerners claiming that its good to "deport" people in their own country.thats fine but just understand that you guys make up the population of most nigerians in the diaspora and the way you treat less priveldged northern nigerians in "yours and their" own country is the way they'll treat you abroad, so dont complain firstly if they deny you visas at the embassy and dont complain when they deport you and kick you out of their countries. its already happening, look at south africa where the natives began attacking nigerians, watch the movie district 9 and it'll give you a solid picture of the nigerian image (yoruba and igbo) in south africa.

you stereotype northerners as "unproductive" and "parasitic" but when you guys go to the UK or the US, dont the majority of you engage in criminal activities that is not only parasitic but predatory in nature? dont you do 419 and steal from hardworking people? dont you defraud old people of their life savings? what can be more parasitic and cancerous than that? please tell me!!!look at the mirror before you open your mouths and yan rubbish about northerners.they are merely a consequence of government mismanagement as are you yoruba and especially igbo 419ners who are all over the west engaged in all manner of criminality and banditry. think before you think and think before you talk.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 11:44pm On Aug 30, 2009
~Sauron~:

Tell me anywhere in the world where the same method wouldn't have been deployed by the government.

Is this really about how many other places accept this? Or how legal this is and what it means to the people affected?

~Sauron~:

What is wrong in moving people who are constituting nuisance in the city to somewhere they can feel more at home?
Regardless of where these people feel somewhat at home according to you, the fact is moving people AGAINST their will to any place where you feel is their home is infringing upon their right to live where they chose. Or what else is this? Am I no longer to be allowed to live in Kano, even if I feel more at home in Lagos? Do I deserve to be treated worse than a dog because I constitute a nuisance in Kano then?

~Sauron~:

Northern beggars have no business loitering in the streets of Lagos without contributing nowt to the development of the state.
But you mentioned earlier this is not ethnic in any way. Regardless of where the beggars are originally from, constitutionally, what gives the state the right to do what it did? Are destitute to then be thrown back to their states of origin then because they are unable to contribute their quota, according to you?

~Sauron~:

This why i think Nigeria should be made a nanny state. . . . .I cannot understand why we want to be United States when we are at best Vietnam.
Nigeria is NOT UNITED STATES and cannot be. Please this is no excuse for the inhumane treatment of these beggars and ought to be stopped? What next? When you loose your job, you get shipped back to your state of Origin? Is that the Nigeria we need?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 11:45pm On Aug 30, 2009
Kobojunkie voice of reason
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 11:46pm On Aug 30, 2009
lol amaka i took back my comment, lol

i read what u wrote in a haste, lol, now u get me? grin

u in college?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 11:50pm On Aug 30, 2009
I hope people actually know some nigerians are actually stateless by 'nigerian definition'.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by THEAMAKA(f): 11:52pm On Aug 30, 2009
hahaha igbo boy
nevermind.

have a nice day, peace!!
cool
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 11:59pm On Aug 30, 2009
gadogado:

all these southerners claiming that its good to "deport" people in their own country.thats fine but just understand that you guys make up the population of most nigerians in the diaspora and the way you treat less priveldged northern nigerians in "yours and their" own country is the way they'll treat you abroad, so dont complain firstly if they deny you visas at the embassy and dont complain when they deport you and kick you out of their countries. its already happening, look at south africa where the natives began attacking nigerians, watch the movie district 9 and it'll give you a solid picture of the nigerian image (yoruba and igbo) in south africa.

you stereotype northerners as "unproductive" and "parasitic" but when you guys go to the UK or the US, dont the majority of you engage in criminal activities that is not only parasitic but predatory in nature? dont you do 419 and steal from hardworking people? dont you defraud old people of their life savings? what can be more parasitic and cancerous than that? please tell me!!!look at the mirror before you open your mouths and yan rubbish about northerners.they are merely a consequence of government mismanagement as are you yoruba and especially igbo 419ners who are all over the west engaged in all manner of criminality and banditry. think before you think and think before you talk.

i was with you for a minute but you now took it somewhat far, i dont like getting too ethnic but lemme do this one piece ok

so here we go, lets add the money that all the igbo and yoruba scammers (yahoo yahoo boys) have stolen and then compare it one northerner like Abacha aint no comaprison

If for instance yahoo yahoo boys have gotten away with100 million dollars, thats nothing if u consider the fact that there are probably over 1 million of these scammers

however just one northerner (no be 1000 sef) steal $5billion dollar, ah ah for one guy only? Just only abacha and babangida and abdulsalami stolen money dwarfs whatever any thief have stolen in the whole south of Nigeria, so your point no make sense

ok back to the voice of reason, I see abacha and babangida as thieves and not representative of the whole north,, so pls dont generalize us in the south
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 12:01am On Aug 31, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Is this really about how many other places accept this? Or how legal this is and what it means to the people affected?

It is not illegal to remove what constitutes a nuisance to the general public.
Very soon you will tell us it is illegal to remove mentally-unstable peops walking naked on the streets of Lagos.

Regardless of where these people feel somewhat at home according to you, the fact is moving people AGAINST their will to any place where you feel is their home is infringing upon their right to live where they chose. Or what else is this? Am I no longer to be allowed to live in Kano, even if I feel more at home in Lagos? Do I deserve to be treated worse than a dog because I constitute a nuisance in Kano then?

Yet again. . . . . .Citing human right act in a country where there's no benefit system to cater for the disabled.
How can it ever work? Even in the developed world, people don't beg alms to harass law abiding citizens.
The UK/USA have a good system that caters for this people. . . .In Nigeria, we don't have such facility so the best thing is to relocate them.

But you mentioned earlier this is not ethnic in any way. Regardless of where the beggars are originally from, constitutionally, what gives the state the right to do what it did? Are destitute to then be thrown back to their states of origin then because they are unable to contribute their quota, according to you?

Yes. . . . . .Vagrants should be thrown back to where they came from cos the Lagos State Government cannot tend to the 18 million residents in the State. Public Services have been stretched to the limit and Fashola is right to decongest Lagos. I think the people who don't contribute nowt to the development of the state and make Lagos the eyesore we all run away from should be evicted first.

Nigeria is NOT UNITED STATES and cannot be. Please this is no excuse for the inhumane treatment of these beggars and ought to be stopped? What next? When you loose your job, you get shipped back to your state of Origin? Is that the Nigeria we need?

Do u go to the streets to beg when you lose your job?
Fashola did not say all Northerners should leave Lagos. . . . . .He shipped destitutes the State cannot cater for out of Lagos.
They should go and claim their benefits in their state of origin.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 12:03am On Aug 31, 2009
sauron u like arguing blindly dont u?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 12:13am On Aug 31, 2009
~Sauron~:

It is not illegal to remove what constitutes a nuisance to the general public.
Very soon you will tell us it is illegal to remove mentally-unstable peops walking naked on the streets of Lagos.

It is not illegal to remove People that constitute a nuisance to the general public TO a LOCATION OUTSIDE OF THE JURISDICTION OF THE STATE with the intent of moving them back to their states of origin? Are you serious?  Are you saying it is constitutionally just for a State A to ship all it’s cracy people to State B on the grounds that those crazy folks are Originally from State B?

Can you please show me where this is allowed by the law. I mean anywhere please. I have asked over and over for this and yet to get an answer from anyone.

~Sauron~:

Yet again. . . . . .Citing human right act in a country where there's no benefit system to cater for the disabled.

That there are no benefits system to cater for the disabled is valid reason why human rights should continue to be ignored?

~Sauron~:

How can it ever work? Even in the developed world, people don't beg alms to harass law abiding citizens.

If the CRIME is harassment, then why were they not sentenced as criminals would have been? Why were they shipped out, not as punishment for any crime, but simply as way of getting rid of the eye-sore?

~Sauron~:

The UK/USA have a good system that caters for this people. . . .In Nigeria, we don't have such facility so the best thing is to relocate them.

How did you arrive at this? Are they then being better catered for where they are being relocated to? Or is this just what it is – that is simply moving these people out to become another man’s problem simply because they are not from within your own shores ( I mean state). Saying the same thing a different way does not explain it in any way. Why is this again, the best?

~Sauron~:

Yes. . . . . .Vagrants should be thrown back to where they came from cos the Lagos State Government cannot tend to the 18 million residents in the State. Public Services have been stretched to the limit and Fashola is right to decongest Lagos. I think the people who don't contribute nowt to the development of the state and make Lagos the eyesore we all run away from should be evicted first.

Do u go to the streets to beg when you lose your job?
According to your own claim there, folks who do not contribute their quota ought to be sent back from whence they came , or in this case, their state of origin. So, if a person looses his job, he looses his ability to contribute and becomes a candidate for expulsion according to your logic there.

~Sauron~:

Fashola did not say all Northerners should leave Lagos. . . . . .He shipped destitutes the State cannot cater for out of Lagos.
They should go and claim their benefits in their state of origin.
So, this is an attack on destitutes, right? So, again, what law allows this? I mean this is an infringement on the right of these destitute who happen to be Nigerians and are covered under the same constitution  as those who are able to afford donating their own quota to that system.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 12:26am On Aug 31, 2009
Kobojunkie:

It is not illegal to remove People that constitute a nuisance to the general public TO a LOCATION OUTSIDE OF THE JURISDICTION OF THE STATE with the intent of moving them back to their states of origin? Are you serious?  Are you saying it is constitutionally just for a State A to ship all it’s cracy people to State B on the grounds that those crazy folks are Originally from State B?

Yes. . . . .In a complex setting like Nigeria, it's the most sensible thing to do.
Let every state takes care of their destitutes.  Each of those states claim FG allocation every month.
Lagos should not look after the vagrants of other states. This will grind the state to a halt.

Can you please show me where this is allowed by the law. I mean anywhere please. I have asked over and over for this and yet to get an answer from anyone.

I don't have to show you anywhere else this has been done before.
There's no other place on Planet Earth that is as over-populated as Lagos State.
The population density is frightening.

That there are no benefits system to cater for the disabled is valid reason why human rights should continue to be ignored?

They should be ignored. Nigeria is not yet mature to deal with the indices of human rights.

If the CRIME is harassment, then why were they not sentenced as criminals would have been? Why were they shipped out, not as punishment for any crime, but simply as way of getting rid of the eye-sore?

Just like the streets are littered with destitutes. . . . . the prisons are overcrowded.

How did you arrive at this? Are they then being better catered for where they are being relocated to? Or is this just what it is – that is simply moving these people out to become another man’s problem simply because they are not from within your own shores ( I mean state). Saying the same thing a different way does not explain it in any way. Why is this again, the best?

At least their kinsmen can look after them in their native land.

According to your own claim there, folks who do not contribute their quota ought to be sent back from whence they came , or in this case, their state of origin. So, if a person looses his job, he looses his ability to contribute and becomes a candidate for expulsion according to your logic there.
So, this is an attack on destitutes, right? So, again, what law allows this? I mean this is an infringement on the right of these destitute who happen to be Nigerians and are covered under the same constitution  as those who are able to afford donating their own quota to that system.

Folks who do not contribute their quota AND constitute a nuisance on the streets should be sent back home.
If i lose my job in Lagos, i will not beg on the streets. . . . . .I will go look for another.
Ya analogy makes me laugh.
How you compare someone who just lost his job to vagrants loitering on the streets begging people for money is hilarious.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 12:35am On Aug 31, 2009
~Sauron~:

Yes. . . . .In a complex setting like Nigeria, it's the most sensible thing to do.
Let every state takes care of their destitutes. Each of those states claim FG allocation every month.
Lagos should not look after the vagrants of other states. This will grind the state to a halt.

No, no no!!! I am asking if this decision was according to the constitution as is. Not how you would prefer it be.

~Sauron~:

I don't have to show you anywhere else this has been done before.
There's no other place on Planet Earth that is as over-populated as Lagos State.
The population density is frightening.
So, you are saying that overpopulation is reason to break the law, and trample the rights of selected individuals then? Are we trying to move forward or move backwards here?

~Sauron~:

They should be ignored. Nigeria is not yet mature to deal with the indices of human rights.

YIKES!!!

~Sauron~:

Just like the streets are littered with destitutes. . . . . the prisons are overcrowded.

At least their kinsmen can look after them in their native land.
Can you guarantee this or you are just assuming this will be the case?

~Sauron~:

Folks who do not contribute their quota AND constitute a nuisance on the streets should be sent back home.
I have nothing else to say!!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Beaf: 12:44am On Aug 31, 2009
~Sauron~:

shocked

Jesu!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 12:48am On Aug 31, 2009
Kobojunkie:

No, no no!!! I am asking if this decision was according to the constitution as is. Not how you would prefer it be.

We do many things in Nigeria that are not in the constitution.
Why are you surprised with the shipping out of destitutes to their native land.

So, you are saying that overpopulation is reason to break the law, and trample the rights of selected individuals then? Are we trying to move forward or move backwards here?

Overpopulation is the reason Lagos State are trying to decongest and reduce these vagrants to the barest minimum.
Public services can no longer cope with the demand and nothing seems to work.
If you have any other solution to this, then voice it out.

When the soliders of Idiagbon were beating civil servants who come late to work in Lagos. . . . were they breaking the law/infringing on the rights of those workers OR instilling discipline? It depends on how you want to take it.

Can you guarantee this or you are just assuming this will be the case?

This is common sense!!!!
They are more likely to come across friends/relatives/neighbours in their local area than in Lagos where people don't give a rat's ass about them.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 1:42am On Aug 31, 2009
@Kobojunkie you get time o

me i don give up e be like say this guy dey fashola payroll or northern peeps did some een personal to him,

he is using the excuse that nigerians are barbaric to justify a barbaric act, it just baffles me
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by gadogado(m): 1:55am On Aug 31, 2009
ummm first of all, its is unconstitutional to do what fashola did, coz you cannot take people and "deport abi na expel" them from a state when the constitution guarantees the freedom of movement, association etc. if you pick me up from lagos and tell me you're taking me back to the north for whatever reason, this would constitute an unconstitutional act provided it was against my will which is the case with "fashola v. northern beggars" look, the simple fact is that fashola is inflaming tribal tensions in the country by this action, i understand and support that he's trying to clean up lagos but surely there are other ways to go around that than busing people out of your state. what statement is that making? so next time, a northern governor will target yoruba road side traders in the north and bus them to lagos, what does that say about national unity and how does it impact our unity as a nation, remember the ever true saying "divided we fall"
all those clamouring for nigeria to break up are defeatists and losers. in a world where people are forming larger economic  and social communities, it is self defeating to break up and potentially weaken yourself. the key is to rise up and move beyond petty tribal sentiments that do nothing positive or productive and fashola sorry to say is demonstrating this. whats to say the beggars wont return?or is he going to turn lagos into a night club with bouncers at the lagos border turning around hausa beggars??since we're one country then he should find ways to better assimilate these beggars into society if they constitute a nuisance as some say since some of them have been in lagos for more than a decade.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 2:11am On Aug 31, 2009
I am lost for words at this point!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Beaf: 5:52am On Aug 31, 2009
gadogado:

ummm first of all, its is unconstitutional to do what fashola did, coz you cannot take people and "deport abi na expel" them from a state when the constitution guarantees the freedom of movement, association etc. if you pick me up from lagos and tell me you're taking me back to the north for whatever reason, this would constitute an unconstitutional act provided it was against my will which is the case with "fashola v. northern beggars" look, the simple fact is that fashola is inflaming tribal tensions in the country by this action, i understand and support that he's trying to clean up lagos but surely there are other ways to go around that than busing people out of your state. what statement is that making? so next time, a northern governor will target yoruba road side traders in the north and bus them to lagos, what does that say about national unity and how does it impact our unity as a nation, remember the ever true saying "divided we fall"
all those clamouring for nigeria to break up are defeatists and losers. in a world where people are forming larger economic  and social communities, it is self defeating to break up and potentially weaken yourself. the key is to rise up and move beyond petty tribal sentiments that do nothing positive or productive and fashola sorry to say is demonstrating this. whats to say the beggars wont return?or is he going to turn lagos into a night club with bouncers at the lagos border turning around hausa beggars??since we're one country then he should find ways to better assimilate these beggars into society if they constitute a nuisance as some say since some of them have been in lagos for more than a decade.

They were deported , period. It is wrong and dangerous, period!

"in a world where people are forming larger economic and social communities". . . Calm down my friend! The whole North has gone sharia (and are ready to deport those who don't agree with it), So it is you guy's telling the south that they don't belong with you (thats aside from the regular beatings and killings); I really feel for non-Muslims up North. The whole of Nigeria needs to sort itself out; each constituent part is acting with impunity, its time for a national discussion.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by CrudeOil2(m): 6:59am On Aug 31, 2009
we've had too many national discussions. we need national actions. nigerians love discussions. damn
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Eziachi: 4:52pm On Sep 01, 2009
faoni572:

I wonder why people still stick to wrong english just because they want to justify thier arguments. These beggers were evicted and not deported for God's sake.

Give yourself a little break! professor Awojobi/Chike Obi.
This is just an opinion/interactive forum and not a damn open University.
As long as you get the gift , who give a f**k about someone's command of grammar here? If you like you can write in Oshodi Market English, who cares, no one is writing oxford exams here.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by namun(f): 11:08pm On Sep 23, 2009
@naijatoday or whatever, you are not making any sense. lagos has the right to return people to their respective regions as long as they are not maltreated. they are not supposed to be begging. the government can not go to a house and disturb someone who is duly working in lagos.
apart from that begging, pest, and constituting a general nuisance is not a culture of the south.
please we dont want these barbarians to infect us with their pestilence and disease.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by namun(f): 11:25pm On Sep 23, 2009
@kobojunkie, gadogado
you are both not making enough sense
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by namun(f): 11:41pm On Sep 23, 2009
@igbo boy
pleas we dont want illiterates or okrika sellers on this thread
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by namun(f): 11:55pm On Sep 23, 2009
@fayahsoul
what is it with you and displaying how little you know
fash did the right thing, if you are not okay with it look for the nearest stream in your village and jump inside. there is NOTHING YOU OR ANY OTHER GOD FORSAKEN BASTARD CAN DO
GET LOST
MIND YOU MY ANCESTORS ARE EDUCATED AND HAVE PRODUCED THE BEST BRAINS SO FAR IN THE WHOLE OF WEST AFRICA
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by AfroCynic: 12:06am On Sep 24, 2009
You cannot be 'deported' within the same borders! they were relocated, forcibly, to the North. I am not going to argue for the legality of Fashola's actions but I am not mad that them either.

It is about time the Northerners really looked at their situation and assessed it thoroughly, they contribute zilch and consume the most. They have the most states, so there is plenty of land for them to do their thing, why come to Lagos that is already choked up?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 12:56pm On Sep 24, 2009
namun:

@fayahsoul
what is it with you and displaying how little you know
fash did the right thing, if you are not okay with it look for the nearest stream in your village and jump inside. there is NOTHING YOU OR ANY OTHER GOD FORSAKEN BASTARD CAN DO
GET LOST
MIND YOU MY ANCESTORS ARE EDUCATED AND HAVE PRODUCED THE BEST BRAINS SO FAR IN THE WHOLE OF WEST AFRICA

namun:

@igbo boy
pleas we dont want illiterates or okrika sellers on this thread

SO na u come go school pass abi?

Haha you ancestors are educated and you talk like this? why didn't the education trickle down to you na?

Am gonna be on this thread and there is nothing you can do about it apart from whine like a b!TCH

And oh yea dem hausa's gonna be back to Lagos guaranteed so I dont even have to do anything about it, Keep acting like say na your papa get lagos EWU,

YOu remind me about white Americans being disgusted about all the diversity they see But the can't do nothing about it, Yea you gonna keep seeing hausa's igbos, urhobo's, Edo's, Ijaws and so on in Lagos and there is nothing you can do but whine like a B!Tch

Ignorant ewu

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (Reply)

Buhari’s Plans For Niger Delta, Militants — Osinbajo / Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Is Talking Nonsense - Edwin Clark / Ganduje suspends ban of male, female on same tricycle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.