Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,152 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:01 PM

Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers - Politics (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers (30485 Views)

Kano Deports 60,000 Beggars To Four States, Other Countries / PHOTOS: Beggers In Front Of National Mosque When Buhari Came To Pray / Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by wazobia4: 5:08pm On Aug 26, 2009
I have been following the threads on politics for few weeks now. I am doing so not as a registered user of nairaland, but as one with the interest of Nigeria at heart and of course for update. Although, I eventually registered for me have access to send this message. I am disappointed in the ‘fact’ that even outside the shore of Nigeria, most of us are identified first as an Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba, Ijaw etc before the country called Nigeria. Even here, there are Yoruba and Igbo communities operating separately in the same city of a foreign country, fighting the same problem albeit from opposing views. Siyabonga shame!!!

Please, let stop being driven by primordial instincts; relived ourselves of ‘over attachment’ to ethnicity and lets be progressive. Lets argue progressively! Even if Nigeria separate into different nations; does that mean we would not accommodate others as foreigners? Eishhhh…a nation and her people are in disarray.

Please share your opinions here: http://blogs.worldbank.org/africacan/are-fragile-states-too-poor-to-grow?cid=EXTAFR1blogtoopoortogrow
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Beaf: 5:35pm On Aug 26, 2009
^Change your id, there are 300+ ethnic groups in Nigeria, not just 3. Don't insult people.

Your id shows your shallow understanding of the Nigerian problem.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by presido1: 5:47pm On Aug 26, 2009
Beaf:

^Change your id, there are 300+ ethnic groups in Nigeria, not just 3. Don't insult people.
Your id shows your shallow understanding of the Nigerian problem.
Thatz very wrong, to call Nigeria WAZOBIA.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Bialegend(m): 5:59pm On Aug 26, 2009
wazobia4:

I have been following the threads on politics for few weeks now. I am doing so not as a registered user of nairaland, but as one with the interest of Nigeria at heart and of course for update. Although, I eventually registered for me have access to send this message. I am disappointed in the ‘fact’ that even outside the shore of Nigeria, most of us are identified first as an Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba, Ijaw etc before the country called Nigeria. Even here, there are Yoruba and Igbo communities operating separately in the same city of a foreign country, fighting the same problem albeit from opposing views. Siyabonga shame!!!

Please, let stop being driven by primordial instincts; relived ourselves of ‘over attachment’ to ethnicity and lets be progressive. Lets argue progressively! Even if Nigeria separate into different nations; does that mean we would not accommodate others as foreigners? Eishhhh…a nation and her people are in disarray.

Please share your opinions here: http://blogs.worldbank.org/africacan/are-fragile-states-too-poor-to-grow?cid=EXTAFR1blogtoopoortogrow

Ol'boy, you should take your useless preaching elsewhere. Igbos do not need that. Fact is soon our country Biafra will emerge. You can find whom to be progressive with, but definitely not with Igbos.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by auwal87(m): 6:10pm On Aug 26, 2009
Peace or Pieces

Nigeria should be divided grin

We promise to remove all beggars from the South if the South West allow our separation.

Unity and Faith, Peace and Progress
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 6:59pm On Aug 26, 2009
auwal87:

Peace or Pieces

Nigeria should be divided grin

We promise to remove all beggars from the South if the South West allow our separation.

Unity and Faith, Peace and Progress

Mallam,we've been waiting for the declaration of the Arewa republic or boko Haram or whatever name you choose.
We will be glad.
As you can see,people can't wait!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by fayahsoul: 10:20pm On Aug 26, 2009
What's this nansense i hear people say that lagos lacks the funds to set up welfare programs to address the dire needs of the destitute. Lagos has loot and if managed properly can raise human development to first class level. So stop all that yack about poor FGN funding. That cowardly governor knows exactly what to do to raise funds and tackle the population problem, it's not rocket science for pete's sake.

Anyone who thinks that deporting 160 destitute nigerians from lagos is a solution to the population problem has no business with governorship but has everything to do with cowardice and "anti-one-nigerianism." Period.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 10:29pm On Aug 26, 2009
fayahsoul:

What's this nansense i hear people say that lagos lacks the funds to set up welfare programs to address the dire needs of the destitute. Lagos has loot and if managed properly can raise human development to first class level. So stop all that yack about poor FGN funding. That cowardly governor knows exactly what to do to raise funds and tackle the population problem, it's not rocket science for pete's sake.

Anyone who thinks that deporting 160 destitute nigerians from lagos is a solution to the population problem has no business with governorship but has everything to do with cowardice and "anti-one-nigerianism." Period.

LOL YOU SOUND SO DUMB ITS FUNNY DONT YOU SEE LAGOS CHANGING BECAUSE MONEY IS STARTING TO BE WELL MANAGED

NOT TO MENTION THOSE FUNDS AREN'T NEARLY ENOUGH TO TAKE CARE OF 15-20 MILLION PEOPLE  shocked

LOL YOU SOUND LIKE AN ASS
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by PAININASS: 12:09am On Aug 27, 2009
I can't understand why ya all take lagos as paradise!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 2:33am On Aug 27, 2009
PAININASS:

I can't understand why ya all take lagos as paradise!

^^^^^^Abeg help me ask them
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by fayahsoul: 6:18am On Aug 27, 2009
Richyblack(MOD) why the hell are u deleting my posts? u dey chop craze?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 8:07am On Aug 27, 2009
I kno right Lagos isn't all that, why go live there if your not lagosian?

Thats what ive been trying to tell all the non lagosians

Why build, live and better the Economy in a place that is not paradise?

Nigerians should start bettering their own states because you will never find a Lagosian living outside Lagos.
Maybe because Lagosians think its paradise compared to the rest of Nigeria, . . . . and OBVIOUSLY Most people agree
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by vezycash(m): 8:19am On Aug 27, 2009
him neva delete this one.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Eziachi: 3:28pm On Aug 27, 2009
Kobo, call it whatever you like or spin it around as you like, if there is such thing call one Nigeria, you haven't explained why somebody is deported from his own country. It a very clear case and no ambiguity. If London mayor is overwelmed with population as you try to spin Fashola's action, and he start deporting Scottish drug addict from London to Scotland, that will immediatleybring the United Kingdom to an end.

As long I know, you can only deport someone outside his own country, whe you deport someone, what you are telling the person is that he is not of the same country as you, that is why you are deporting him back to his own country.

In 1981, NPN led government decided rightly or wronly to deport the speaker of the then Gongola state house of assembly Alhaji Abubakar Shugaba, who is one of the arrow head of GNPP then to Chad as they claimed that he wasn't a Nigerian. They didn't deport him to Kano or Katsina but outside Nigeria, a movelater reversed by the Supreme court by the action was a political motivated one.

So it doesn't matter whether they are beggars or accountants that Fashola is deporting, as it's not being rich or poor that determines a persons citizenship. Are you telling me that there no Yoruba, Igbo, Efik, Ijaw beggar in Lagos. What is the identity of a northern beggar and why Kaduna? Is there a country called Kaduna?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 4:42pm On Aug 27, 2009
Eziachi:

Kobo, call it whatever you like or spin it around as you like, if there is such thing call one Nigeria, you haven't explained why somebody is deported from his own country. It a very clear case and no ambiguity. If London mayor is overwelmed with population as you try to spin Fashola's action, and he start deporting Scottish drug addict from London to Scotland, that will immediatleybring the United Kingdom to an end.

I didn’t call it anything! I simply posited that what Fashola has done to beggars, even those of Yoruba ethnicity, is likely Illegal in this case. Mind you, I have no inside information on the deal he may have made with these beggars to justify these moves of his. Possibly, the 160 agreed to being sent back rather than serving jail time, who knows. If they signed such a deal, then I would ask a lawyer if it is even legal for a government to make such a deal with citizens. We know that our journalists do not always do a good job when it comes to reporting on issues. So I am not sure how you arrived at this being a CLEAR CASE.

Eziachi:

As long I know, you can only deport someone outside his own country, whe you deport someone, what you are telling the person is that he is not of the same country as you, that is why you are deporting him back to his own country.

Again, read before you leap to respond. I have said it in most all my posts so far, and many others have as well, that this is likely ILLEGAL and should not have been. We have called for Fashola to be reprimanded for such an act.

Eziachi:

In 1981, NPN led government decided rightly or wronly to deport the speaker of the then Gongola state house of assembly Alhaji Abubakar Shugaba, who is one of the arrow head of GNPP then to Chad as they claimed that he wasn't a Nigerian. They didn't deport him to Kano or Katsina but outside Nigeria, a movelater reversed by the Supreme court by the action was a political motivated one.

So it doesn't matter whether they are beggars or accountants that Fashola is deporting, as it's not being rich or poor that determines a persons citizenship. Are you telling me that there no Yoruba, Igbo, Efik, Ijaw beggar in Lagos. What is the identity of a northern beggar and why Kaduna? Is there a country called Kaduna?

A couple of weeks back, Yoruba beggars/homeless people were deported back to Ondo state (or was it Oyo). In this case, Hausa beggars are being deported. No need to turn this into some ethnic bash-fest without first making sure to educate self on what is actually going on. I remember the number was way higher in the case of Yoruba destitute that were deported. And only recently, Alao Akala’s rep spoke of how the deportation helps them better focus on the destitute in their community (not sure how that works). You can Google for more on this.

Again, Fashola is not alpha and omega on what is legal and what is not in Nigeria. We have a constitution and require that all adhere to it in all situations. His actions do not decide which way Nigeria, nor does it decide for the sane where things are in the country. He is a governor and like the many others out there, fallible. It is up to the people to call them into order though, not go rambling that the world is coming to an end because of such actions as this.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 5:14am On Aug 28, 2009
sjeezy8:

I kno right Lagos isn't all that, why go live there if your not lagosian?

Thats what ive been trying to tell all the non lagosians

Why build, live and better the Economy in a place that is not paradise?

Nigerians should start bettering their own states because you will never find a Lagosian living outside Lagos.
Maybe because Lagosians think its paradise compared to the rest of Nigeria, . . . . and OBVIOUSLY Most people agree

Well because emm its ummm the motherfucking financial capital of Nigeria,

I
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 9:43am On Aug 28, 2009
Is this the Bleep what state governments should be doing with their allocations when they are churning out beggars like California is churning out IT entreprenuers?

Should they not be looking at how to develop some business activities within their state with the limited resources?

They are churning out beggars and Lagos is suppose to open doors to accept them?

[size=18pt]Ramadan: Bauchi feeds Muslims with N50m[/size]

IN its determination to assist indigent Musilms in the state during the month of Ramadan, the Bauchi state government is to spend N49.5million to feed about 6,000 people for the 30 days fasting period.

This was disclosed by the 2009 Ramadan Feeding Committee, led by its Chairman, Salisu Shehu, while addressing newsmen on on Thursday at the Conference Hall of the State Ministry of Budget and Planning. He said that the exercise would be carried out on daily basis for 30 days in 71 mosques within Bauchi metropolis and its environs, just as it was done in the last two years when the exercise was first introduced by the Mallam Isa Yuguda-led administration.

According to the committee chairman, the exercise, which will be extended to all 20 local governments in the state, was initiated by the Yuguda administration in order to assist the less privileged during the Muslim Holy month, declaring that, “the intention of government is to serve as an example to the privileged individuals to take up the responsibilities of caring for those who have nothing to eat during this period.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/28082009/news/news9.html
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 9:48am On Aug 28, 2009
Sagamite:

Is this the Bleep what state governments should be doing with their allocations when they are churning out beggars like California is churning out IT entreprenuers?

Should they not be looking at how to develop some business activities within their state with the limited resources?

They are churning out beggars and Lagos is suppose to open doors to accept them?

[size=18pt]Ramadan: Bauchi feeds Muslims with N50m[/size]

IN its determination to assist indigent Musilms in the state during the month of Ramadan, the Bauchi state government is to spend N49.5million to feed about 6,000 people for the 30 days fasting period.

This was disclosed by the 2009 Ramadan Feeding Committee, led by its Chairman, Salisu Shehu, while addressing newsmen on on Thursday at the Conference Hall of the State Ministry of Budget and Planning. He said that the exercise would be carried out on daily basis for 30 days in 71 mosques within Bauchi metropolis and its environs, just as it was done in the last two years when the exercise was first introduced by the Mallam Isa Yuguda-led administration.

According to the committee chairman, the exercise, which will be extended to all 20 local governments in the state, was initiated by the Yuguda administration in order to assist the less privileged during the Muslim Holy month, declaring that, “the intention of government is to serve as an example to the privileged individuals to take up the responsibilities of caring for those who have nothing to eat during this period.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/28082009/news/news9.html

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin angry Nigerians can generally get their priorities upside down.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by emyah(m): 10:30am On Aug 28, 2009
why do we call ourself one Nigeria , i have never herd A Yoruba beggar has been deported back to they villages, wan ever we talk about Biafra they all be against it  tell me how a citizens of a country has been deported in her own country, i hope this will contribute to the speed off splitting this arrangements  organisation call Nigeria.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by faoni572(m): 11:58am On Aug 28, 2009
I wonder why people still stick to wrong english just because they want to justify thier arguments. These beggers were evicted and not deported for God's sake.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by emyah(m): 12:33pm On Aug 28, 2009
faoni572:

I wonder why people still stick to wrong English just because they want to justify their arguments. These beggars were evicted and not deported for God's sake.

pleas go through this tell me the wright English to be use in this situation that took place in Lagos state , evicted or deported

One should remember that the procedures for evictions are established by [[state law]] (within the [[Nigeria])

Depending on the jurisdiction, if a tenancy is being terminated for cause, the landlord may be required to give the tenant a notice, commonly called a ''notice to quit'' or ''notice to vacate'' prior to instituting formal legal proceedings. The tenant may have a short amount of time (perhaps from 3 to 10 days) in which to correct the error. The most common causes for eviction include nonpayment of [[renting|rent]] or a breach of the lease (such as keeping a [[pet]] when pets are not allowed). In some cases, again depending on the laws of the particular jurisdiction, a landlord may post an ''unconditional quit notice'', meaning the tenant can do nothing to correct the error.

In some jurisdictions eviction proceedings may be commenced without cause if there is no tenancy or the lease is expiring, although further advance notice must be given (generally 1 to 3 months). In some areas, ''just cause eviction controls'' exist, making this type of eviction more difficult or illegal. [[Rent control]] ordinances or statutes may also affect a landlord's ability to terminate tenancy without cause. Also, if the housing is subsidized by a housing program of the federal government, federal laws and regulations will also apply.

In most places, the guidelines for evictions due to non-payment of rent are different from those resulting from other causes, such as breach of lease. When the reason for eviction is due to causes other than rent, many places have laws requiring the tenant to be given a specified amount of time before moving, which may be, for example, 30 days following all court proceedings. But in the case of unpaid rent, eviction may occur within a few weeks (or less) following the due date for the rent. The exact amount of time is contingent upon the jurisdiction's guidelines and the load of cases in the jurisdiction's court system,

DEPORTATION
Deportation means the expulsion of a person or group of people from a place or country. The expulsion of natives is also called banishment, exile ,
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deported

deport - behave: behave in a certain manner; "She carried herself well"; "he bore himself with dignity"; "They conducted themselves well during these ,
deport - extradite: hand over to the authorities of another country; "They extradited the fugitive to his native country so he could be tried there"
deport - expatriate: expel from a country; "The poet was exiled because he signed a letter protesting the government's actions"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

deportment - demeanor: (behavioral attributes) the way a person behaves toward other people

deportation - exile: the act of expelling a person from their native land; "men in exile dream of hope"; "his deportation to a penal colony"; "the expatriation ,
deportation - the expulsion from a country of an undesirable alien

Deportment - Behavior or behaviour (see spelling differences) refers to the actions or reactions of an object or organism, usually in relation to the environment. Behavior can be conscious or unconscious, overt or covert, and voluntary or involuntary.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportment

deportment - bearing; manner of presenting oneself:; conduct; public behavior:; apparent level of schooling or training:; self-discipline:
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/deportment

deportation - The act of deporting or exiling, or the state of being deported; banishment; transportation
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/deportation

deport - To evict, especially from a country
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/deport

deportation - Forced removal of Jews from their homes in Nazi occupied lands under the pretense of resettlement. Most were shipped to killing centers.
www.elpasoholocaustmuseum.org/glossary.sstg

deportation - The formal removal of an alien from the United States when the alien has been found removable for violating the immigration laws. Deportation is ordered by an immigration judge without any punishment being imposed or contemplated. ,
www.immigration.com/glossary/glossaryind.html

deportation - The removal of a foreign national under immigration laws for reasons such as illegal entry or conduct dangerous to the public welfare. The grounds for deportation varies from country to country.
www.4lawschool.com/dic/dict-d.htm

deportation - Punitive measure prohibited without exception by Art. 49 of the Fourth Geneva Convention (1949) but used by Israel against Palestinian civilians. Since 1967, around 1,700 Palestinians have been deported. The latest and most massive deportation occurred in Dec. ,
www.passia.org/diary/Palestinian-Dictionary-Terms.htm

we should understand our differences is a every big boarding to the nation[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by emyah(m): 12:42pm On Aug 28, 2009
Eziachi:

kOBO, I can understand your frustration because what Fashola has done had buried all your argument about a charade being paraded as one Nigeria. Me and you knew that there is nothing like one Nigeria in reality but only on paper and oil money sharing, full stop.
And that we view each other as we view Ghanaian of a Cameroonian but we chose to pretend other wise. But I am not good in pretending and that is why I had always said that we should call a spade a spade.

That is will be better for an Igbo man living in Yorubaland as foreigner with required papers than to be living as citizen of a country but is treated sometimes worse than an alien resident. When a Nigerian is being deported from Nigeria, what else remain?

we really shear same thought with you and will be only solution to this organization call Nigeria.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 5:55pm On Aug 28, 2009
emyah:

why are we still call ourself one Nigeria , i have never herd A Yoruba beggar is deported back they villages, wan ever we talk about Biafra they be against it tell me how on earth citizens of a country will be deported in her own country, i hope this will contribute to the speed of splitting this arrangements organisation call Nigeria.

Your grammar is fuucked, men.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 11:37pm On Aug 28, 2009
faoni572:

I wonder why people still stick to wrong english just because they want to justify thier arguments. These beggers were evicted and not deported for God's sake.

Very soon, they will tell us cassava are being exported from Ondo to Damaturu.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 12:36am On Aug 29, 2009
~Sauron~:

Roflmao!!! As funny as the above is, it does not work here. When you move CITIZENS from point A to point B with the intent of returning them to their place of origin or starting point before arrival at point A, you are deporting them. Check the DICTIONARY for the meaning of the words here. Using the one over the other does not change this in any way.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by ifele(m): 12:57am On Aug 29, 2009
Nigger is dead
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 1:36am On Aug 29, 2009
~Sauron~:

yes ke

exported from Ondo,imported into Damaturu grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by udezue(m): 2:38am On Aug 29, 2009
Shiit I'll deport their parasitic unproductive asses to Niger Republic sef if I'm the governor of any Southern state even Middlebelt.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 3:24am On Aug 29, 2009
Sagamite:

Your grammar is fuucked, men.

hehehe i thought i was the only one that noticed

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (Reply)

Atiku Commissions The Chicken Cottage In Yola (Photos) / Sale Mamman: Cabal In Power Ministry Denying Nigerians Of Electricity / Bola Tinubu Visits The Akarigbo Of Remo Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.